• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

luka

Loves Robotech S1
2vufxbm.jpg

Official Site: http://www.sega.com/games/aliens-vs-predator/
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/10680/
Release: February 16th 2010
Publisher: Sega
Developer: Rebellion
Formats: PC, X360, PS3
Genre: First-Person Shooter
Demo: Avaliable now on Steam, XBox Live, and PSN (Multiplayer only)
Engine: Asura (Rebellion inhouse engine)
Multiplayer: Up to 18 players online

System Requirements

o OS: Windows XP/Vista
o Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
o Memory: 1 GB System RAM (XP)/ 2 GB System RAM (Vista)
o Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 128 MB RAM (NVIDIA 7900 or better, ATI X1800 or better)
o Hard Drive: 4.6 GB free hard drive space
o DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

Overview - "We're on an express elevator to hell...goin' down!"

British developer Rebellion returns to their roots with a high-tech reimagining of their flagship first-person shooter,
the 1999 PC classic Aliens versus Predator. Pitching humans in the middle of an interstellar war between two of sci-fi's
most frightening and memorable creatures, AvP is a totally unique FPS experience, letting you fight through the eyes
of 3 distinct races with completely unique and challenging play styles.

* As the Marine, you'll experience a claustrophobic and terrifying experience
where light is your friend, but there's never enough. However, the United States
Marine Corps are humanity's last line of defense, and as such they are armed to
the teeth with the very latest in high explosive and automatic weaponry.

* As the Predator, you will stalk from the shadows and from above, passing
athletically through the treetops to ambush your victims. Although equipped with
an array of powerful, exotic weapons and tracking equipment, honor ultimately
dictates that you must get in close and take your trophies face to face.

* As the most deadly species in the universe, the Alien offers you the chance to
play as the very stuff of nightmares - the monster in the dark swarming forward
with countless others, jaws like a steel trap and claws like blades.

* Play all sides off against each other in a series of unique 3-way online modes
and go tooth-to-claw-to-pulse rifle in the reinvention of one of multiplayer
gaming's defining moments.

Version Differences - "I used my whole repertoire just to keep up with 'em. I had scanners on them, but they scrambled my shit up. They had equipment I can't even begin to touch, and then this morning... I lost 'em."

PC Version:
-Steamworks support for both retail and online editions, including stat tracking, matchmaking, steamcloud, and cheat protection
-Dedicated server support
-DirectX 9.0c, DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 support for advanced tessellation effects
-Checkpoint/Manual Saving

Console Versions:
-XBLA/PSN standard features
-Matchmaking only
-No DirectX 11 effects
-Checkpoint Saving only

Legacy - "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bughunt?"

Alien vs Predator (1993) - Arcade (Capcom)
Alien vs Predator (1993) – SNES (IGS)
Alien vs Predator: The Last of His Clan (1993) – GB (Ask Kodansha)
Alien vs Predator (1994) - Atari Jaguar (Rebellion)
Aliens vs Predator (1999) - PC (Rebellion)
Aliens vs Predator 2 (2001) - PC (Monolith)
Aliens vs Predator 2 Primal Hunt (2002) – PC (Third Law Entertainment)
Aliens vs Predator Extinction (2003) – PS2, X-Box (Zono)
Aliens vs Predator Requiem (2007) – PSP (Rebellion)

Weapons - "Check it out, independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. Whap! You can fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, and we got sonic electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, knives, sharp sticks..."

-Marine-
VP78 PISTOL: The VP78 uses 9mm, squash-head rounds for stopping power. When all else is lost, the VP78s rapid-fire mode is often the last line of defense for a Colonial Marine and has saved many lives.
ZX-76 SHOUTGUN: Packs one hackuva punch at close range - especially when using both barrels in alternative fire modes. Keep it handy for intimate encounters with alien lifeforms.
M41A/2 PULSE RIFLE: The M41A/2 Pulse Rifle is the standard issue, multi-purpose firearm for all United States Colonial Marines. An underslung, pump-action grenade launcher acts as a secondary weapon.
M59/B SMARTGUN: The Smartgun is the colonial Marines' primary heavy-fire support weapon. It is carried using a gyroscopic harness, and fires in auto-targeting or free-fire modes.
M260B FLAMETHROWER: A replacement for the aging M240 flame thrower, the M260b utilizes several improvements. Standard fire remains perfect for neutralizing massed or fast-moving targets. Secondary fire allows you to spray fuel for subsequent ignition, allowing the user to create a temporary wall of flame.
M42C SCOPED RIFLE: Neutralize the enemy at a distance with the M42C. Non-standard USCM issue ordnance, deployed only in special circumstances.

-Predator-
WRISTBLADES: Use your wristblades to deal with the enemy at close quarters. Attack rapidly with Light Attacks, hit hard with Heavy Attacks, and eviscerate your opponents with Trophy Kills or Stealth Kills. Block or Counter the enemy to deal with incoming melee attacks.
PLASMA CASTER: The Plasma Caster's firepower is not to be deployed lightly. It can be fired quickly with less accuracy, or aimed and charged to bring almost certain death.
COMBI STICK: The Combi Stick requires a precise aim, but inflicts devastating wounds.
PROXIMITY MINES[/B]: A mine is a cunning trap, but do not fall foul of your own scheming! A good unter knows how to lure the enemy to their doom.
SMART DISC: In skilled hands, the disc can be used to attack and dismember multiple targets.

Equipment/Abilities - "Okay everybody, just take a deep breath. Loosen your sphincters. We don't need any rush hour Rambos here."

-Marine-
FLASHLIGHT: Darkness is your enemy. Use your flashlight.
FLARES: Use flares to illuminate the combat area. Your HUD will indicate when a flare is available.
STIMS: An injured marine is a vulnerable marine. Use Stims when injured. Beware, you can only carry three.
MOTION TRACKER: Watch and listen to your motion tracker for hostile signals. They can help you find the enemy in darkness.

-Predator-
JUMPING: A true Hunter is always on the move. Jump from vantage point to vantage point. Use the Jump Markers to identify suitable vantage points.
CLOAKING DEVICE: Camoflage is more effective than armor. At distance, humans can see through your cloaking device!
ZOOM: Know your hunting ground! Scan ahead using Zoom.
FOCUS MODE: Observe your surroundings with Focus Mode! Choose the appropriate tactics. Knowledge is a Hunter's first weapon! In Focus Mode, your HUD displays vital information.
VISION MODES: Use Vision Modes to find your prey. Heat Vision will highlight human prey. Alien Vision, should you earn the right to wield it, will highlight Alien prey.
ENERGY: The Plasma Caster and Mines use energy. This can be recharged at energy sources around the environment. Monitor your energy levels on the HUD. Use energy wisely.
HEALTH SHARDS: A wounded Hunter cannot perform at the peak of his abilities. Tend to your injuries with Shards.
DISTRACTION: Human prey responds to mimicry of the voices of it's fellow humans. Distract your enemies to separate them, then dispatch them with a Stealth Kill.

-Alien-
FOCUS MODE: Activating Focus Mode lets you better understand your environment by highlighting vents and other items of interest.
SURFACE TRANSITION: The Xenomorph's agility is its most powerful weapon. It can jump from surface to surface. You may travel along walls and even the ceiling, leaping from one to the other.
SPRINT: Use Sprint to attack or evade in the blink of an eye.
TAKING OUT LIGHTS: Darkness and sabotage are your allies. Destroy objects with Light or Heavy Attacks!
HARVEST: Harvest helpless human civilians to expand the hive, but don't hesitate to kill any armed threats that stand in your way.
HISS: Use Hiss to lure the unwary closer to your position. Then use a Stealth Kill to eliminate them violently, but silently.

Multiplayer Modes - "Game Over, man! Game Over!"

SURVIVOR (CO-OP): Survivor allows one to four Marine players to enter an arena and cooperatively battle waves of progressively stronger aliens.
PREDATOR HUNT: In this mode, one player is selected to become the Predator Hunter for a limited time period. The rest of the players take on the role of Marine Prey. Whenever a Marine player kills the predator, that player then becomes the Hunter.
INFESTATION: One player is selected as the Alien while the others start as Marines. Whenever Marine players are killed, they will join the Alien team and assist in eliminating any remaining Marines.
DEATH MATCH: Death Match is about getting the most kills in a given time limit. Players can also win the match by hitting the target score before anyone else.
SPECIES DEATH MATCH: This mode pits a Marine, Alien and Predator team against each other in a race to get the most kills within the set time limit or to reach the target score before any of the other teams.
MIXED SPECIES DEATH MATCH: Two teams, made up from all three species battle to get the most kills in the set time limit or to reach the target score before the other team.
DOMINATION: Two teams fight for ownership of Control Points around the level.

Reviews - "Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

IGN UK - 8.5/10

The three species set-up feels generous even at a time when people demand so much of their games, but it's a premise that dates back to Rebellion's first Aliens vs. Predator in 1994. While much has changed it still feels a little rusty – this isn't as slick as a Modern Warfare or Halo and its production values feel like they're from a different age, with poor textures and the occasional unimaginative set-piece belying the fact that underneath the HD dazzle is a core idea that's changed little in over 15 years. But that never truly detracts from how much fun is to be had throughout Aliens vs. Predator's myriad modes as Rebellion leans heavily on the source material, creating a game that's going to stoke the hearts of anyone who ever fell in love with the original films – which is likely anyone who's ever picked up a game pad.

Tech Digest - 4/5

And so for everything that could have been "Game Over" for AvP, it manages to rise above and deliver on the promise of its weighty licence. It's neither clever nor pretty, but it's crammed full of all the gory ingredients that fans have been crying out for. AvP will carve a nice little niche in your gaming heart... and then probably burst out of your chest and eat your family. Excellent.

Eurogamer Italy - 7/10

Beyond some unconvincing visuals and some technical flaws, Aliens Vs Predator proves to be a well crafted FPS, fully able to recreate the engaging and terrifying atmosphere of its cinematic counterparts. Rebellion has definitely managed to capitalize on Aliens Vs Predator's source materials.

Multiplayer.it - 7.2/10

A good campaign, the marine one, and some variety in gameplay mechanics provide a quite fun experience. Unfortunately some ideas lack polish and the other two-thirds of the single player are just not as good as they were supposed to be.

GameSpot - 5.5/10

The attention to detail, the well-considered level design, and the sense of momentum that characterize the finest shooters are missing here. Aliens vs. Predator is sometimes enjoyable but never escapes an overwhelming sense of carelessness, so while it may remind you of the good old days, it fails to recapture them.

Seraphic Gaming Club
- 8.6/10

Aliens Vs Predator is an above average First Person Shooter release than I recommend with a slight bit of caution, but if your a fan of the films there is simply no game out there better than this one.

Official X-Box Magazine UK - 8/10

PCPowerplay Magazine - 7/10

Game Informer Magazine (US) - 5.75/10

Game Informer Magazine (AUS) - 8.7/10
lol

Versions - "Smoking or non-smoking?"

Standard Edition

2ro6e8h.jpg
ng8wau.jpg
358uono.jpg

Hunter Edition (Confirmed for US and UK release)

2127gq9.jpg

Pre-Order Bonus: Pre-purchase the game on Steam to receive 3 bonus multiplayer skins:

313j47q.jpg

Media - "Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"

Screenshots

Videos

Multiplayer Melee Combat Tutorial <- THIS IS IMPORTANT
Ultimate Multiplayer Trailer
Infestation Multiplayer Trailer
Survivor Co-op Multiplayer Trailer
Predator Hunt Multiplayer Trailer

Story Trailer
Killmoves Trailer
Heritage Trailer
Marine Campaign Gameplay
Alien Campaign Gameplay
Predator Campaign Gameplay

---

e86gjt.jpg

Volcynika

Great stuff. Anyone heard word from Rebellion if there will be a preload on Steam for the title ? (since it is Steamworks, I seem more hopeful)

The thread name is the best you could do without disappointing everyone I guess :lol
Can't wait to play the full game. Team Deathmatch; Humans vs Xenos will be fucking epic.

Barrage

I heard they mostly took inspiration from the first two Aliens/the two Predator movies. I'm assuming that means no PredAlien?

I'll need to hear a few more positive evaluations of the single player before I think about copping this.

Volcynika

Barrage said:
I heard they mostly took inspiration from the first two Aliens/the two Predator movies. I'm assuming that means no PredAlien?

I'll need to hear a few more positive evaluations of the single player before I think about copping this.

I thought I saw something where they mentioned the PredAlien does make an appearance or something, but I'd have to look and see if I saw that information correctly.

vazel

Banned
Barrage said:

Didn't AvP1 have a PredAlien before the AvP movies?
Son of Godzilla said:
Is it? Is it really?

I'm kinda serious, if even this game is above average where are all the average ones?
Problem is the shooters that are generic and average still go on to sell millions around a base of hype. If this game is exactly like the '99 AvP game with better visuals it'll still be much more different than your average FPS these days.

pahamrick

Newegg just charged my debit card for my pre-order. Maybe I'll hit lucky and get my copy Monday!

I won't, of course -- but its nice to hope. :D

Ok people saddle up, they aint paying us by the hour!

Still on the fence about a day one purchase, but I just love the universe so i'll probably cave. I want to see the DX11 effects. Lets hope for a Paul Riser mod for the human model as well. :D

JdFoX187

Banned
AstroMan said:
Isn't gameinformers review out as well?
You mean the one that complained about the Predators being too stealthy? Or Aliens being too confusing to play as? That one? Yeah...

Hope this is preloadable. Spent half of the launch day downloading Bioshock 2 and I don't want to do that shit again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't know why, but I'm interested in this. I've only ever seen "Alien", don't know anything about the rest of the series. The premise just seems interesting.

I'll likely wait for a sale though, I'm having a rought time balancing my backlog with King's Bounty/Far Cry 2/Torchlight and Toki Tori on my lap.

vazel

Banned
Lyphen said:
I don't know why, but I'm interested in this. I've only ever seen "Alien", don't know anything about the rest of the series. The premise just seems interesting.
You'll like this game better if you see Aliens. It's one of the best and most influential sci-fi movies.

Haunted

Exciting stuff.

Two questions: Estimated length of the campaigns? And do we know how the DX11 effects (tesselation) will look like in-game?

Lyphen said:
Watch Aliens, then Predator. Ignore everything after. You will not regret it and appreciate this game so much more. :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Is it any fun to be an alien or a predator?
That's one of the reasons I like L4D most: being able to be a zombie.

So in this, is it a lot of fun to stalk and destroy people as an alien/predator?

AstroMan

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
You mean the one that complained about the Predators being too stealthy? Or Aliens being too confusing to play as? That one? Yeah...

Hope this is preloadable. Spent half of the launch day downloading Bioshock 2 and I don't want to do that shit again.

It should still be included. Especially if you're going to include IGN reviews (people bitch about the quality of IGN all the time) and Seraphic Gaming Club, which is a website Ive never heard of and doesn't appear to be on metacritic.

AstroMan

Banned
luka said:
yeah, but .....no.

So you just plan on including reviews that makes the game look good, instead of providing all the reviews from well known sources? Not agreeing with the review is one thing but refusing to include it with the rest (Seriously, Seraphic Gaming Club?) is doing potential buyers an extreme disservice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
brain_stew said:
PC version is only £17 here in the UK and can be added to Steam. A no brainer really.
54.99 Canadian Loonies (£33). :lol So yeah, despite my interest, I'll wait for a sale. I don't want to lose this feeling of spending less than 30 for every PC game I've bought in the last 3 months.

ArjanN

AstroMan said:
So you just plan on including reviews that makes the game look good, instead of providing all the reviews from well known sources? Not agreeing with the review is one thing but refusing to include it with the rest (Seriously, Seraphic Gaming Club?) is doing potential buyers an extreme disservice.

While I've never heard of Seraphic Gaming Club either, I have read the Game Informer review and it's just a very poorly written review. For example he spends exactly one (1) line on the multiplayer.

Could still be added to the OP though, just so we can mock it later.

Sullen

AstroMan said:

Wow dude, really? :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Sullen said:
Wow dude, really? :lol

Yeah?

Unless the thread starter is a viral marketer for the game, it would be nice to see the review of a "trusted" and well known source as Game informer, as opposed to Seraphin gamer or whatever the fuck that site is that nobody ever heard off.

Apath

What the hell? Those screens are 1000x better looking than the demo (x360). Is the PC version that much better looking?

panda21

Kenak said:
What the hell? Those screens are 1000x better looking than the demo (x360). Is the PC version that much better looking?

the (dx9) pc demo looks worse than the 360 version even with everything maxed afaik. presumably those are shots from the full game running in dx11? do any of the reviews have actual in-game shots from the PC version?

i didnt like the mp demo but for £17 the marine sp campaign looks fun enough

Lyphen said:
54.99 Canadian Loonies (£33). :lol So yeah, despite my interest, I'll wait for a sale. I don't want to lose this feeling of spending less than 30 for every PC game I've bought in the last 3 months.

Well its a Steamworks title so the code in the box is all you need to add it to your Steam list. If you really want the game, I could put in an order at a UK retailer for you if you give me the money via Paypal? Its just a case of emailing the CD key when it arrives. $30/$35 CAD should cover it without me getting screwed by Paypal's conversion rate.

WrikaWrek said:
"trusted" and well known source as Game informer,.

:lol

Yep, a magazine published by the biggest game retailer in the US, sure is the bastion of objectivity.

WrikaWrek said:
Yeah?

Unless the thread starter is a viral marketer for the game, it would be nice to see the review of a "trusted" and well known source as Game informer, as opposed to Seraphin gamer or whatever the fuck that site is that nobody ever heard off.

Totally agree. It's a valid review, whether we agree with the reviewer's thoughts or not. And that Seraphin-thing is a shockingly written review; if we discount one because we don't agree with it, we can surely discount another on the grounds that the reviewer must be a child/not a professional reviewer.

brain_stew said:
:lol
Yep, a magazine published by the biggest game retailer in the US, sure is the bastion of objectivity.

i'm sure it's a lot better than seraphic gaming club. just look at the header:lol

todahawk

Dogenzaka said:
Is it any fun to be an alien or a predator?
That's one of the reasons I like L4D most: being able to be a zombie.

So in this, is it a lot of fun to stalk and destroy people as an alien/predator?

Fuck yes, stalking humans is tons of fun.
Back in the old PC only days of AVP my friend and I would play just by ourselves and take turns stalking each other.

edit:

Awesome job on the OP Luka (superterrific Bill Paxton quotes too)

moojito

Nice OP!

I'll likely pick this up for the single player, but I wasn't digging the multiplayer demo at all.

Top Bottom