• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

DoomGyver

I played the PS3 demo last night and it worked fine. I used to play AvP2 on the PC all of the time during high school. But I don't have a PC right now and I'm pretty hesitant on buying a console version.

I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks and see how well received it is.

Mar

I have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere.

Can you play through the story mode marine campaign in 4 player co-op?

jsrv

Bamelin said:
I can't run the PC version.

PS3 or 360, any opinions?

Whichever controller you prefer, whichever you have more friends on, & consider the extra cost if you don't have a gold subscription

If you're looking for differences in graphics you might want to wait a bit before the game is out for the inevitable comparisons

Mar_ said:

Nope, none of the campaign has a coop mode

Captain N

Mar_ said:

nope..more like a horde mode.

Mar

Thanks for the answers guys.

And that's pretty lame. 4 player marine co-op would have been the best thing in the history of the world. I think I'll pass on the game then (really enjoyed the original on PC, but I expect a bit more from my games these days).

Unicorn

Mar_ said:

And that's pretty lame. 4 player marine co-op would have been the best thing in the history of the world. I think I'll pass on the game then (really enjoyed the original on PC, but I expect a bit more from my games these days).
If this game does well, expect to see Aliens: Colonial Marines, which is 4 player co-op as marines.

If you haven't heard about it... look into it because it's right up your alley.

Mar_ said:

There's always Gearbox's Colonial Marines, if it ever comes out.

Edit: beaten by a singing dog

Well guys, I found myself a 360 copy tonight at a local K-mart! So far I only tried out the marines campaign but I'm loving the lighting. The intro was pretty nice with the destuction of the ship and all. I just moved so I've not had time to get much time with the game but just letting you guys know that the game is out at some K-marts.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Neuromancer said:
Edit: beaten by a singing dog
Hell yes.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well guys, I found myself a 360 copy tonight at a local K-mart! So far I only tried out the marines campaign but I'm loving the lighting. The intro was pretty nice with the destuction of the ship and all. I just moved so I've not had time to get much time with the game but just letting you guys know that the game is out at some K-marts.
Give us more impressions when you can! :)

Lyphen said:
Hell yes.

Give us more impressions when you can! :)

Will do. I can say the Marine campaign starts off a tad slow... but overall was digging it. You get the rifle pretty quickly. The lighting was pretty sweet. Voice acting is decent. The chick Tequila sounds good sometimes, yet sometimes her voice annoys me. I still need to hook up my internet to my xbox. My wireless aparently died in the move. :( Yet so far digging it. :D Will post more tomorrow or Monday.

Unicorn

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Area? East or West Coast?

about the OP...Not bad for a human.

bishop.jpg

The more I can sponge up from the internet about this game, the more it feels like they came up with that dreadful deathmatch demo last minute. Whether it was their call or Sega's is up for debate...but everything about the game outside that vortex of negativity sounds great. All the vids look awesome. And despite the demo being kind of a pain in the ass because I had no clue what was going on, I had fun. Just learning the controls was fun that first night when no one else knew what was happening. Of course shortly thereafter I was repeatedly owned by all races and creeds. But that always happens to me in MP.

I can understand it being a tough call for some, but as an Aliens and Predator nerd, based on what I've seen and heard, I'm in for sure.

ThaddeusMcGee said:
The more I can sponge up from the internet about this game, the more it feels like they came up with that dreadful deathmatch demo last minute. Whether it was their call or Sega's is up for debate...but everything about the game outside that vortex of negativity sounds great. All the vids look awesome. And despite the demo being kind of a pain in the ass because I had no clue what was going on, I had fun. Just learning the controls was fun that first night when no one else knew what was happening. Of course shortly thereafter I was repeatedly owned by all races and creeds. But that always happens to me in MP.

I can understand it being a tough call for some, but as an Aliens and Predator nerd, based on what I've seen and heard, I'm in for sure.

same here im there day 1, huge predator and alien fan,

my first thought about the demo was they didnt want to give too much away for free with the demo, a team deathmatch or something more and people who might on the fence might just stick with the demo for a quick fix of avp action

the free-for-all deathmatch in the demo is the mp mode i least was looking forward to, I like the ideas of all of the other gametypes a lot more, but the FFA is growing on me after playing the demo

but no denying they botched it with the demo, they didnt target a large enough audience, seems like for once the PC Master Race were who the demo was really intended for despite in being on consoles too, they didnt show off enough of what is going to make the game great

Unicorn said:
Area? East or West Coast?

West Coast. Arizona to be exact. Also I just went out for my 27 th birthday and returned a bit fucked up from the alcohol. Though yes, the game is alot of fun. I actually player a tiny bit more but I'm too drunk to react quick enough and the aliens are scarying the shit out of me so I will try this again tomorrow! lol:lol

Daigoro

just got done trying out the demo for a few rounds.

playing ad the Alien seems awesome. though i could figure out how to get transition to work. (and mouse 3 is the wort button to configure an action to.) running on the celings and wallas and stealth killing is so fun.

couldnt figure out the Predator at all. no idea wtf i was doing. :lol

it looks great though. i love the Alien tech scenery and stuff.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Daigoro said:
just got done trying out the demo for a few rounds.

playing ad the Alien seems awesome. though i could figure out how to get transition to work. (and mouse 3 is the wort button to configure an action to.) running on the celings and wallas and stealth killing is so fun.

couldnt figure out the Predator at all. no idea wtf i was doing. :lol

it looks great though. i love the Alien tech scenery and stuff.

As alien, turn on autotransition in the options menu if you can deal with the potential disorientation. It makes navigation a lot more effortless. Knock out lights with the tail whip and try to stay off the floor as much as possible. For a surprise pounce, hold shift to target someone on focus mode then mouse1 to lunge at them. It's a great way to attack on any surface from a distance.

As pred, it generally works the same way. You can't climb walls but you can use focus to lunge and knock aliens off the ceiling. Mouse3 is default binding for subweapons as you find them but he's primarily a melee fighter.

Daigoro

luka said:
As alien, turn on autotransition in the options menu if you can deal with the potential disorientation. It makes navigation a lot more effortless. Knock out lights with the tail whip and try to stay off the floor as much as possible. For a surprise pounce, hold shift to target someone on focus mode then mouse1 to lunge at them. It's a great way to attack on any surface from a distance.

As pred, it generally works the same way. You can't climb walls but you can use focus to lunge and knock aliens off the ceiling. Mouse3 is default binding for subweapons as you find them but he's primarily a melee fighter.

oh wow, you can knock out the lights? nice.

thanks for the tips.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Daigoro said:
oh wow, you can knock out the lights? nice.

thanks for the tips.

Make sure you hit Q a lot too so you can scuttle around the map at high speeds.

Pred has a bit of a learning curve but it mostly comes from understanding he's not Master Chief and getting used to the controls. Blades are always your primary weapon. You can hold 4 secondary weapons, selectable with 1, 2, 3, and 4. Whichever is selected can be activated on the fly with the middle mouse button, so even with a weapon 'selected' Mouse 1 and 2 still use the blades.

Holding shift will bring up what seems like a tactical display. It will show the locations of all your equipment around the map, and allow you to do long/high jumps. If where you're pointing your crosshair lights up with pad icon, while holding shift, hit jump and you'll jump to that location. Good for getting up to high places.

Otherwise get used to the weak/strong melee attacks with blocking and countering, and cloak when taking on marines, and you're set. Bad play wit the Pred is running into packs of guys (much like the alien), and like every other class having an alien come up your rear without you knowing.

Pred dominates in 1v1 if played right, mostly because AvP is a crappy 1v1 game. Oh, and once you get the shoulder cannon prepare to rape everyone.

Any 4-pack deals on Steam? Seems like the game that would do this. I want those pre-order skins :lol
Steam seems the cheapest way for me to get this anyway, living in Aus and everything.

I should be doing hw said:
Any 4-pack deals on Steam? Seems like the game that would do this. I want those pre-order skins :lol
Steam seems the cheapest way for me to get this anyway, living in Aus and everything.

How much is it in Aus? Might be able to help you out if its super expensive.

brain_stew said:
How much is it in Aus? Might be able to help you out if its super expensive.
It's minimum a billion dollars. Nah, regular its $88 at EB and I think they have a deal where regular and Survival are the same price. Still too much I think.
What did you have in mind?

CENOBITE said:
I can't but help envision a mod that allows TERMINATORS into the mix

avpvttpb.jpg
Holy fuck, how did I not know this existed? Is it as good as it should be?

Mako_Drug

Any word on performance differences between 360 and PS3?

I'm completely torn since I don't want to shell out for XBL gold but I also want peeps to play against and it will likely sell much better on 360. :(

It's minimum a billion dollars. Nah, regular its $88 at EB and I think they have a deal where regular and Survival are the same price. Still too much I think.
What did you have in mind?
?

Holy crap, i don't think I can let you pay that then!? :lol

Its only like £18/£20 here in the UK (and that comes with the multiplayer skins) and since its a Steamworks title all you'll need is the keycode from a retail box. Send me like ~$40AUD over Paypal (as Paypal's conversion rates are usually shitty) and I'll happily put in an order at a UK retailer if you want? Then its just a case of emailing you the two keys on launch and you save $48 (!).

I'll forward you the confirmation email as soon as I get it. I've done it for two other GAFers so far, so one more is my limit I think but its no hassle really, so I don't mind. Its ridiculous it costs more than twice as much in a different territory, dunno why its a budget release here in the UK but no where else.

brain_stew said:
Holy crap, i don't think I can let you pay that then!? :lol

Its only like £18/£20 here in the UK (and that comes with the multiplayer skins) and since its a Steamworks title all you'll need is the keycode from a retail box. Send me like ~$40AUD over Paypal (as Paypal's conversion rates are usually shitty) and I'll happily put in an order at a UK retailer if you want? Then its just a case of emailing you the two keys on launch and you save $48 (!).

I'll forward you the confirmation email as soon as I get it. I've done it for two other GAFers so far, so one more is my limit I think but its no hassle really, so I don't mind. Its ridiculous it costs more than twice as much in a different territory, dunno why its a budget release here in the UK but no where else.
I will kindly take your generous offer my friend, thank you muchly (to play on the PC you helped me build no less :lol)
PM me your email etc and we can get the ball rolling. Its nice to see someone help the ongoing plight of the Aussie gamer, sadly around $88 is pretty much the cheapest you can get a new release here.

Sullen

Is there gonna be a pre-load for this on Steam? Really the only reason I bought it on steam was in the hopes there would be.. :lol

S1kkZ

finished the marine campaign:

+
-great lighting
-awesome alien 2 atmosphere
-aliens behave and move like in alien 2
-great looking levels, the lighting is f*cking awesome
-very strong autoaim when fighting the aliens, but it really helps and makes the fights more fun (i usually hate autoaim)

-
-not enough predator in the marine campaign
-story is very predictable
-they want you to care about the characters but they just feel bland/uninteresting/stereotype
-cliffhanger ending

took me about 5 hours on easy. game gets pretty hard towards the end, should be a nightmare on the higher difficulty levels.

S1kkZ said:
finished the marine campaign:

+
-great lighting
-awesome alien 2 atmosphere
-aliens behave and move like in alien 2
-great looking levels, the lighting is f*cking awesome
-very strong autoaim when fighting the aliens, but it really helps and makes the fights more fun (i usually hate autoaim)

-
-not enough predator in the marine campaign
-story is very predictable
-they want you to care about the characters but they just feel bland/uninteresting/stereotype
-cliffhanger ending

took me about 5 hours on easy. game gets pretty hard towards the end, should be a nightmare on the higher difficulty levels.
Version?
And the cliffhanger complaint might be remedied after playing the other campaigns...just saying. Glad to hear that it's challenging, even on easy. Can't wait for some tense firefights.

S1kkZ

Version?
And the cliffhanger complaint might be remedied after playing the other campaigns...just saying. Glad to hear that it's challenging, even on easy. Can't wait for some tense firefights.
360 version. the cliffhanger is pretty final. i dont think playing the other campaigns will help. but the cliffhanger is pretty good. if there is a sequel, it should have a pretty nice setting...

TehSw1tch

Banned
Kinda dissapointed there's no Predator quotes at all in there, I mean, I know the commandos from Pred aren't really represented in the game, but still.

Also, thanks for not linking to Game Informer's review of the boxart.

S1kkZ

i forgot something:

soundtrack is very good, takes alot from the aliens score and mixes it with some of the predator ost. they dont actually use the 2 scores, but it sounds and feels like it.

S1kkZ said:
360 version. the cliffhanger is pretty final. i dont think playing the other campaigns will help. but the cliffhanger is pretty good. if there is a sequel, it should have a pretty nice setting...
I hope that they make an expansion pack or something then, rather than worry about a whole new game. Engine seems great to me and being so multiplayer focused it would make sense.
Regardless, I'm hyped. Especially now I don't have to pay the Oz tax for the game.

Sill4

Ok, I've been planning on getting this day 1, but my budget is oh so low. What are the best deals so far? (360)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
TehSw1tch said:
Kinda dissapointed there's no Predator quotes at all in there, I mean, I know the commandos from Pred aren't really represented in the game, but still.

Theres something out there waiting for us... And it ain't no man
billy-predator.jpg

Preordered this game on steam, im ready for some alien v predator action!

Top Bottom