• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

CENOBITE

Posted today on the SEGA Europe Blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/03/08/first-dlc-swarms-to-aliens-vs-predator/

First DLC Swarms To Aliens vs Predator
The first downloadable content for Aliens vs Predator will shortly be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms. Featuring 4 new maps for different multiplayer modes, previously only available in the Special Editions, this downloadable content will challenge all three species for the fight of their existence.

Two new Multiplayer maps for six different online modes (Deathmatch, Predator Hunt, Infestation, Species Deathmatch, Mixed Species Deathmatch and Domination) :

• Docks: The caustic alkali waters of BG-386 put an end to Weyland-Yutani’s planned shipping activities.
• Machine: As well as processing exotic ores, the BG-386 Refinery provided electrical power to the colonists at Freya’s Prospect.

Two new Survivor maps in which up to four Marines battle to stay alive against increasing swarms of Aliens:

• Outpost: The site of the original Weyland-Yutani colony on BG-386 was abandoned, and soon reclaimed by the planet’s voracious jungle plant life.

• Hive: Deep in the heart of the Freya’s Prospect Refinery lays the Xenomorph Hive.

The “Swarm Map Pack” will be available on 18 March for €5.99/ £4.79/ 560 Microsoft Points.

Dai Kaiju

TheVisualizer said:
imo only a well equipped predator(disc, plasma caster) has an advantage over the marine, as a marine you:

1) hold your own in close quarters because its difficult to be ambushed when properly using the motion tracker

2) dominate at medium distance because neither alien or predator has a reliable weapon outside alien-tail whip distance

3) you can heal yourself quickly and more times than the predator

4) close quarters block and gunbutt combo is an automatic kill while holding the pulse rifle

the alien is a 2 trick pony unless you get ganged up on, all its got is the windup tail whip while closing in (most times you can kill it with the pulse rifle before it gets too close) and the quick tail whip from the walls/ceilings which can be a problem

the predator is only really good from distance with the plasma caster and combistick, up close unless it gets a good disc shot off it can't do much damage as it's heavy attack has no range and takes longer to windup, most of the time you can see the plasma caster and disc coming because of the red beam and if you are reading the motion tracker right you generally have time to avoid the first attack from either

marine is fine, unfortunately this seems to me like the place where I tell you "you are not good enough at the game", play the marine campaign and work on your blocking and countering skills and those big bad predators and aliens won't seem so scary anymore

The problem with your points is that you're assuming the aliens and predators you're playing against are mentally retarded and aren't aware of the concept of using stealth. Imagine the same scenarios, only this time your opponents have an IQ above 7 and actually know how to play the game.

Tokubetsu

Dai Kaiju said:
The problem with your points is that you're assuming the aliens and predators you're playing against are mentally retarded and aren't aware of the concept of using stealth. Imagine the same scenarios, only this time your opponents have an IQ above 7 and actually know how to play the game.

This made me laugh but it's so true. If you're coming at a marine dead on via ground as an alien you're doing it wrong. If you don't have some sort of height advantage or the drop on a marine as a predator, you're doing it wrong. Those are just BASICS.

Dave1988

I just played Docks today for the first time. It's quite a cool map but one thing had me rolling on the floor laughing. The sea present in this map KILLS you when you step into it :lol :lol :lol

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
CENOBITE said:
Posted today on the SEGA Europe Blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/03/08/first-dlc-swarms-to-aliens-vs-predator/

First DLC Swarms To Aliens vs Predator
The first downloadable content for Aliens vs Predator will shortly be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms. Featuring 4 new maps for different multiplayer modes, previously only available in the Special Editions, this downloadable content will challenge all three species for the fight of their existence.

Two new Multiplayer maps for six different online modes (Deathmatch, Predator Hunt, Infestation, Species Deathmatch, Mixed Species Deathmatch and Domination) :

• Docks: The caustic alkali waters of BG-386 put an end to Weyland-Yutani’s planned shipping activities.
• Machine: As well as processing exotic ores, the BG-386 Refinery provided electrical power to the colonists at Freya’s Prospect.

Two new Survivor maps in which up to four Marines battle to stay alive against increasing swarms of Aliens:

• Outpost: The site of the original Weyland-Yutani colony on BG-386 was abandoned, and soon reclaimed by the planet’s voracious jungle plant life.

• Hive: Deep in the heart of the Freya’s Prospect Refinery lays the Xenomorph Hive.

The “Swarm Map Pack” will be available on 18 March for €5.99/ £4.79/ 560 Microsoft Points.

I'm not paying again for only 2 fucking DM maps.

Unicorn

Why is everyone acting so surprised by this DLC? It's been known for a while (since before release) that they were going to release these maps for the people who didn't buy the special edition :lol

Pctx

Banned
Dave1988 said:
I just played Docks today for the first time. It's quite a cool map but one thing had me rolling on the floor laughing. The sea present in this map KILLS you when you step into it :lol :lol :lol
Wow.

Unicorn said:
Why is everyone acting so surprised by this DLC? It's been known for a while (since before release) that they were going to release these maps for the people who didn't buy the special edition :lol

I believe the PC gamers at least expected them free.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BattleMonkey said:
I believe the PC gamers at least expected them free.
But if they were free they would screw the pre-order people over!
Then again, I did pre-order, but not online, so no special maps for me. Blegh, I like the game and all, online is fun, but 4 maps for 7 dollars makes me wonder what they were thinking.

It's not like there were many maps to begin with so yeahh, if they bump it up to 10 maps for 10 dollars then I could probably bend over but 4 for $7? Really guys?

And the single player is fun while it lasts, the problem is that it doesn't last very long :(. So glad I didn't buy this at full price the way things, and the horribly laggy online.

The sad thing is, even if they fix it I doubt there'll be much of a userbase left to play with, which is a shame because it's a fun game that looks fantastic, I hope they release an expansion later on with a more robust single player mode and a ton of MP maps.

Unicorn

Fucking online on Live is fucking lagtastic. They need a fat patch to come out that overhauls the multiplayer. Especially if they expect me to dump more dollars for maps or any kind of DLC

Got this game a few weeks back. My thoughts on the Predator and Alien campaigns.

Predator campaign

-It was frustrating at times but still fun.
-Love the combi stick. One hit killing aliens and soldiers is good stuff.
-Same with trophy kills.
-The story wasn't deep but I liked it.
-The bosses were old school but fun. Nothing wrong with stabbing it till it dies.
-Didn't like the couple areas with infinitely respawning aliens. It's lazy game design.
-Jumping didn't always work when it should have.
-The androids that cloaked were a cool surprise.

Alien campaign.

-The alien campaign was just as fun as the predator but with less frustration.
-Too short. It needed to be longer.
-The basic gameplay of killing marines is generic but fun. Your average person might find in repetitive but as a fan, I could stealth kill all day.
-Controls work fine, except a couple rooms your in that are just too small. You keep latching on to everything.
-The ending was cool. Creating the predalien, which becomes your nemesis in the predator campaign. Becoming a queen is cool as well. Someone will complain about it destroying the canon but I think it can happen.

Still need to finish the marine campaign.

Really disliked this game. (FWIW, I LOVED the original PC game, loved the sequel, and still think they're eminently playable to this day. I do not hate old-school FPS games.) The Marine campaign was tedious to the point of frustration, and absolutely un-scary, past the first ten minutes. The voice-acting and script was atrocious, and that didn't help. Tequila's performance might be the worst VA I've heard in a game in years, and the writing really didn't help matters. The levels were just one corridor slog after another, with no benefit to wandering off the beaten track, as as soon as they introduced the robot soldiers I was just pissed off. They were idiot foes, irritating to fight, and with them this might as well have been any FPS made in 2006.

The Alien campaign was better, just. The controls were fine, though I HATE the concept of blocking. It was here that I started to get really annoyed at the robot soldiers, and frustrated at the fact that there was always a fight in that bloody arena with the predator. It also ended in a super-irritating way - I thought I had another few levels to come, frankly. Felt very unfinished.

The Predator campaign was, again, slightly better; it made sense, at least. The writing was horrible - all that rubbish about Youngbloods started to bug me - but the old school helmet bit was nicely done, and the weapons at least felt as if they had a chunk of clout to them. Annoying that they introduced them in the way they did, and that I had so little time with the spear gun; also, that final battle was just horrid.

I finished it, but, really, it was because I was bored and bitter, and wanted to see if it got better. It barely did, but not enough that I would ever recommend it to anybody. The multiplayer aspect is fine, fun enough, but slightly frustratingly balanced in my experience and... well, it doesn't stand up to the big boys, frankly. I'll buy Colonial Marines in a heartbeat - this game did wonders for making me really long for a decent, scary game in this universe - but I can't say I'll be picking up a sequel to this unless things seriously change. (Also, the hints as to where the sequel is heading? Not interesting to me in the slightest.)

One last thing: I want to play Shellshock 2 now. I want to see if, quality wise, they actually compare, and it was just the license pulling this one out of the mire.

Unicorn

Finally played Survivor with 4 people. With friendly fire off it was hectic and insanely fun. Made up for the lagtastic versus for the time being. Framerate hit the floor though on 360 with so much amazing on screen.

I think I'm going to buy the DLC for the survivor maps alone, and a couple versus maps to play later when they fix their servers is a nice bonus.

PC Patch 3 & Dedicated server Beta 3 Release notes - 19/03/10

PC patch 3 and Beta 3 of the Dedicated server has been uploaded to Valve and we have asked them to make it live. ETA is unknown, but it should be today.

Release notes are as follows;

Game Client

New Features:
- In multiplayer damage from the Predator's Smart Disc has been reduced, unless it's a headshot.
- In multiplayer minor hits from the Predator's Plasma Caster bolts will no longer knock down enemies.
- When joining a dedicated server on which a round is in-progress you now have a limited time to choose your species/team and skin before entering the game, if the game mode and server settings allow this.

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed clients not always being correctly notified that the game had ended.
- Improvements to the networking code used in dedicated server games to increase stability and reduce pings.
- DX11 optimisation when using tessellation
- Fixed DX11 gamma controls on NVIDIA boards
- Return to the server browsing screen instead of top-level menu when you fail to join a server
- Fixed the lobby timer not always displaying correctly on clients.
- Improved 'SayTeam' console command
- Improvements to ranked matchmaking
- Fixed occasional problems with peer-to-peer games after playing on a dedicated server
- Fixed rare multiplayer bug where all players would be disconnected during level load if just one of them had a network problem during the load.
- Fixed a cause of clients sometimes getting disconnected when pressing ALT+TAB or ALT+ENTER on the end-game scoreboard.
- Fixed predators being able to cancel other players’ Plasma Caster Lock-on.

Dedicated server

New Features:
- Dedicated server no longer needs the Steam client to be running.
- Dedicated server can use DLC maps.
- New console/config file commands for dedicated server for friendly fire, team balancing and species balancing options.
- New console command to set a Message of the Day
- When joining a dedicated server on which a round is in-progress you now have a limited time to choose your species/team and skin before entering the game, if the game mode and server settings allow this.
- The dedicated server now installs to a standalone directory, and the install size is now ~2.2GB instead of 15GB
- Improved feedback and output for various console commands
- Improved server console output when players disconnect
- Improved server console output when there are problems starting the server
- Additional server console output about the Steam connection
- The dedicated server will now also be available via the “HLDSupdate” tool. Please note that while we believe there should be no problems as both the Steam Client version and the HLDSupdate version are identical, we cannot test the HLDSupdate version without making it available to everybody. Server administrators are advised to install and use the HLDSupdate version using their discretion.

Bug Fixes:
- Prevent "Adding Master Server" console output looking corrupted.
- Fixed team selection not working for the first map hosted on a dedicated server
- Made the ban list file have the server’s port number appended so multiple instances on the same hardware are independent
- Improvements to the networking code used in dedicated server games to increase stability and reduce pings.
- Fixed cause of clients thinking the host had disconnected at the end of a game which actually ended normally.
- Fixed predators being able to cancel other players’ Plasma Caster Lock-on.
- Fixed an issue where dedicated servers left idle for an extended period of time would result in the first match played having the clients "running around without their bodies attached".
- Setting the Autostarttime to "0" now correctly turns this feature off, rather than attempting to instantly start the match upon players returning to the lobby and kicking all the clients.

Additional note:
Due to some improvements to the networking code, the new server and client are not compatible with the old versions. Clients who have not yet restarted and updated their game will not see updated servers in the in-game browser and conversely, any servers that have not been updated will no longer be visible in the in-game list for clients who have applied the update. Both new and old servers will be visible in the Steam Client server list but players will see an "Incompatible Version" error message if they attempt to connect to server which has not been updated.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14078353&postcount=1

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Patch looks good. I've uninstalled the game though. Just couldn't see myself continuing with the MP.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
- Return to the server browsing screen instead of top-level menu when you fail to join a server

Thank GOD. I'm gonna have to play this more often now, time allowing. Sounds like a great patch.

Charging for maps that they finished before the game shipped when there are so few to begin with is still utter bullshit though.

Aptos

I picked this game up on the steam weekend sale and just finished all the single player campaigns on normal. I actually enjoyed the game for the most part, and I do think the Predator and Alien campaigns are the most fun; too bad they're shorter than the Marine.

However, online is a joke. How can the matchmaking possibly think I want to play in a game where the ping is over ONE SECOND!? The only way to explicitly find a game on a dedicated server with acceptable ping is to play an unranked game. The online multiplayer experience has been absolutely terrible so far. Are there any gaffers out there who play the MP online?

Dai Kaiju

So...was I the only one dumb enough to buy the new maps? Apparently so, because I bought them 2 days ago and still don't know what they look like.

New DLC.

“The Bughunt Map Pack contains two new multiplayer maps for the six different competitive online modes; Deathmatch, Predator Hunt, Infestation, Species Deathmatch, Mixed Species Deathmatch and Domination, as well as two new maps for the “Survival” mode in which a team of up to four Marines fight to survive against the increasing horde of Aliens. For the first time, these maps will include environmental hazards and new weather effects.

You have “Crash Site”, “Furious”, “Tempest” and “Monument” – all of which provide different challenges. The “Bughunt Map Pack” will be available on 7th July for €5.99/ £4.79/ AUS$9.95 / 560 Microsoft Points.”

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHQPhpO4Dx8&feature=player_embedded

Article link - http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/06/30/aliens-vs-predator-bughunt-map-pack/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
By making the maps paid dlc instead of including them in the game from the beginning they pretty much sealed its fate. This isn't MW2 where they can get away with that kind of thing. I still hop on once in a while but sega really fucked up. Shame because it's quite fun and the patches fixed a lot of the problems.

luka said:
By making the maps paid dlc instead of including them in the game from the beginning they pretty much sealed its fate. This isn't MW2 where they can get away with that kind of thing. I still hop on once in a while but sega really fucked up. Shame because it's quite fun and the patches fixed a lot of the problems.
Exactly.

The new rain stage looks great too (wouldn't mind a multiplayer map like it), but with a price like that... Here's hoping the game'll get discounted during the Steam sales though.

Ricker

The constant use of RB and LB to survive in this completly killed this game for me...hard as hell and I just got to disoriented playing as the Alien...one of my biggest disappointment so far this year.

SEGA's got some balls to overprice 2 DLC maps for a 5 month old game that nobody plays online anymore

shameful attempt at a cashgrab to capitalize on the hype of next week's Predators movie release, they would have made more money if they put together a shitty movie game instead

Hey Rebellion, it was a nice thought to let us change the difficulty after we die to make it easier.

But it kind of defeats the purpose if doing so quits you all the way back to the beginning of the mission.

This game is actually quite good IMO. At least if you want your AvP dose. I wouldn't have paid full price but 19€ new was fine for me.

Graphics are ok, I've seen a lot worse relatively low-budget productions. The gore stuff etc. is actually very detailed and some (indoor) levels look quite nice. Bonus points for dynamic lighting + letting me destroy the lights, I fucking hate when I can't do that in high profile games.

Game is pretty varied by offering you 3 different campaigns. But it feels they run out of time, e.g. I would bet they planned at least another Alien level with you on the ship instead of just the cutscene.
Also, I was often thinking they should have provided even more fanservice e.g. at the start of the Alien campaign you should crawl out of the mouth from an ego perspective (I missed the facehugger level from AvP2 anyway). A high profile game would have also had more cutscenes to flesh out the story.

an AvP game in the next gen should let me use Alien acid blood btw, I wanna see it melting through everything ^^

I bought it, now give me Aliens: Colonial Marines!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SolidusDave said:
Graphics are ok, I've seen a lot worse relatively low-budget productions. The gore stuff etc. is actually very detailed and some (indoor) levels look quite nice. Bonus points for dynamic lighting + letting me destroy the lights, I fucking hate when I can't do that in high profile games.
The game looks insanely good on PC, if you ask me.

Stallion Free said:
The game looks insanely good on PC, if you ask me.
Yeah, quite the looker and still runs smoothly - depending on your rig of course. But even when I was running this on my 4850 it was looking and running great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Phife Dawg said:
Yeah, quite the looker and still runs smoothly - depending on your rig of course. But even when I was running this on my 4850 it was looking and running great.
I get 70+, no lower with a 5850, everything maxed including tesselation, but no DX11 shadows (even in comparison screens I can't tell the difference) and no AA as that also causes drops to the 40's and isn't a very effective form of AA.

Stallion Free said:
I get 70+, no lower with a 5850, everything maxed including tesselation, but no DX11 shadows (even in comparison screens I can't tell the difference) and no AA as that also causes drops to the 40's and isn't a very effective form of AA.
I recently upgraded to a 5850 - it makes a big difference for sure. Not only does the engine look really good but it's also very scaleable. Even with a mediocre set-up you can have very good-looking results. Wouldn't mind this being used in other games as well.

Does anyone know if it's a proprietary engine?

Not too knowledgeable on the AA stuff - are you forcing AA through the drivers? Supposedly it's better for this game, but you can only do it globally, right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Phife Dawg said:
Not too knowledgeable on the AA stuff - are you forcing AA through the drivers? Supposedly it's better for this game, but you can only do it globally, right?
I'm using the AA option in Dx11. I figured if they only allowed it for Dx11 that driver-forcing wouldn't work, but I am going to have to take a look at that.

Sorry for the bump but damn, I totally forgot about the Survivor mode. I loved that in AvP2. Just played a few matches with three more people (tk off) and it is so awesome. The hectic, the panic :eek:

I... I totally think about buying the DLC just to have more Survivor maps :lol

Toxa said:
I know that the game is no longer popular; but I'd like to share with you my trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4HBXPEooEY

enjoy ;)
That was great. It's better than all of the official videos too. I know I'm in the minority but I love AVP. Sure it's an old fashioned shooter, but the fact that's it not a Halo or Call of Duty clone is fine by me. Cloaking and just being badass as the Predator doesn't get old, and neither does playing as the Alien, once your brain adjusts to running on ceilings. The Marine gameplay suffers the most once you go back to it, since it seems so commonplace compared to what the Predator and Alien can do. The one disappointment I have with the game is you should be able to play as the Predator in survivor mode, but other than that I play this game way too much. :D

Top Bottom