• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I honestly don't think any of the DX11 features are noticeable when you're playing, so I kept them off. I think, for tesselation to actually be worthwhile, the models would have to be made with DX11 in mind. As it is, they're of a great quality to begin with, so the geometry doesn't improve much.

Darklord

Banned
So I finally got to play this game on PC. Yeah...it isn't a very good game. The Marine campaign just isn't scary at all. All of the tension of AvP 2's Marine is gone. The women talking to you at the start is a horrible voice actress too. You can't make yourself sound less interested if you tried.

The multiplayer is ok but the maps are AWFUL. First came was a 2vs2 and we came across each other maybe once every minute or two. Second game was 12 players but the map was such a cluster fuck it was still hard finding them.

The controls are also really awkward. Sometimes with the Alien I can walk climb, sometimes I can't, sometimes I leap, sometimes I just jump up on the stop. Like...god damn, it's not hard, use the controls out of AVP1 or 2 but this seems like the people making it had no idea how to design good controls.

What a disappointment.

On the plus side, the predators heat vision looks awesome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Weird, I love the MP maps. You really have to learn them though, especially as a Predator.

My favorite so far has been the Pyramid map. It's right out of the first AvP, with doors shutting, stairs lowering to reveal packages and such. It's an amazing map for Infection. Played TDM as a Marine on it too, and it was absolutely frightening. You never really knew where anything was, and you could hear your team-mates being impaled through the closing door.

Tokubetsu

Lyphen said:
Weird, I love the MP maps. You really have to learn them though, especially as a Predator.

My favorite so far has been the Pyramid map. It's right out of the first AvP, with doors shutting, stairs lowering to reveal packages and such. It's an amazing map for Infection. Played TDM as a Marine on it too, and it was absolutely frightening. You never really knew where anything was, and you could hear your team-mates being impaled through the closing door.

Quick! Steam download this faster! This sounds amazing (sound wise).

Facism

I fixed my stuttering issue. If you are on XP, using a single Nvidia card, go to the control panel, find the 3d profile for Avp3 and find Multidisplay/mixed GPU acceleration and change it to "single display performance" if it's not set like that.

Smooth as fuckin butter now.

Tokubetsu

Everytime i go to boot up SP...the game crashes.

EDIT: Seems fine when I run in DX9 and MP worked without doing that. Is there anything im missing by running in DX9?

Wow, this game is great. Lightning is top-notch and they nailed the atmosphere. I guess all the complaints about controls come from people playing the console versions, don't have any problems at all (can also look straight up).

CENOBITE

NEW PATCH!!! let's hope there is a fix for my WinXP, DX9 joining multiplayer crash.

over at SEGA forums:

PC patch 2 release note - 1st March 2010

We’ve been hard at work listening to and addressing your concerns and are pleased to announce that Monday will see the release of an update to Aliens vs Predator, see below for detail on what will be included.

We will also have news on an additional feature we know many of you have been waiting for which is now ready for a closed Beta test!

Please remember and check the revised Readme file when the update becomes available for additional information on the following.

General
- Stability improvements to address rare and infrequent hangs
- Implemented a workaround for missing audio issues with certain hardware (SoundBlaster X-Fi, Realtek onboard, etc.)
- Fixed save games being lost or corrupted if connection to Steam is lost or if user switches to offline play

Multiplayer
- Fixed XP being incorrectly affected by offline play (though only in the local stats; this will be corrected next time you connect to multiplayer)
- Fixed other players sometimes appearing to have the wrong weapon or continuing to fire indefinitely after dying
- Fixed rare issue where players would be temporarily invisible
- Fixed some selection of servers and players in menus sometimes being incorrect

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=317269

Tokubetsu said:
Everytime i go to boot up SP...the game crashes.

EDIT: Seems fine when I run in DX9 and MP worked without doing that. Is there anything im missing by running in DX9?

Not on DX10 hardware, no. Avoid very high textures as well, they're pretty much broken and seem to cause a memory leak and they look no better than high textures anyway.

Darklord

Banned
CENOBITE said:
- Fixed other players sometimes appearing to have the wrong weapon or continuing to fire indefinitely after dying

I thought this was a reference to the original Predator movie. It was a bug? :|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Darklord said:

Haha. Yeah I thought it was on purpose as well. Petition to leave the bug in! :D

The dedicated servers and a new patch will be available to all PC users tonight at 9PM UK time:

daPing said:
The dedicated server Beta and PC patch 2 will be released today, at approximately 9pm UK time. There have been some additional changes to the PC Patch notes, which are listed below;

Multiplayer
- Added client-side support for dedicated servers
- Ranked match lobbies will no longer end after every match

Due to the demand from the community and better than anticipated progress on the server software, we have decided to release the dedicated server as an Open Beta rather than a Closed Beta, and make it available to all. To access the Dedicated Servers from the PC client, go to Player Match > Browse > change the “server type” filter to “Dedicated (Internet)” and then click browse. Please note that the initial availability of servers may be limited.

The full patch notes are below;

General
- Stability improvements to address rare and infrequent hangs
- Implemented a workaround for missing audio issues with certain hardware (SoundBlaster X-Fi, Realtek onboard, etc.)
- Fixed save games being lost or corrupted if connection to Steam is lost or if user switches to offline play

Multiplayer
- Added client-side support for dedicated servers
- Ranked match lobbies will no longer end after every match
- Fixed XP being incorrectly affected by offline play (though only in the local stats; this will be corrected next time you connect to multiplayer)
- Fixed rare issue where players would be temporarily invisible
- Fixed some selection of servers and players in menus sometimes being incorrect

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13747298&postcount=2

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Darklord said:

Reread what it says: "continuing to fire indefinitely after dying"

I think they are just making it so that the gun doesn't continue to fire forever

luka

Loves Robotech S1
First attempt at playing on a dedi and it crashes once the game starts to load. :(
It does that annoying thing that all console ports do and sends you all the way back to the multiplayer menu when you fail to connect instead of back to the server browser. God.

It's a start though. Hopefully they get this stuff ironed out soon.

Dai Kaiju

brain_stew said:
About your comment on the graphics, is the 360 version really that ugly? I mean, on PC, this is one of the most impressive looking games I've played, full stop, and yet you, and a bunch of others are commenting that the console version is flat out ugly.

Anyone calling the 360 version ugly is just spoiled by the most recent AAA current gen console games. AVP on 360 has (at worst) average graphics. I'm sure it's a significant downgrade from the PC version, but that only makes it ugly by comparison. It looks fine.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
In case anyone wants it... 3 multiplayer skins from the GameStop pre-order. I won't be using these:

GC2JP-FG4XC-KKB3J-4YV6V-T4FC6

CENOBITE said:
OMG'Z!!! My joining multiplayer crash is FIXXXOR'D!!!

Hell yah. Time to party!

alien_die2.gif

:lol

Finally got around to beating all the campaigns... yea the single player is pretty weak. It has it's moments, but the overall design feels very archaic, especially how easy and stupid the game play is at times. The AI is retarded and feels like something out of.... the original game! If you attack opponents from long range with say sniper rifles or the silly predator spear, they have no clue whats to do and just sit there and let you kill them. Also whoever designed the predator spear mechanics... lol. Insanely accurate, it magically comes back to you in 2 seconds, and instant kills?

The game is pretty solid in MP though and fun.

HooCares

Neo Member
BattleMonkey said:
Finally got around to beating all the campaigns... yea the single player is pretty weak. It has it's moments, but the overall design feels very archaic, especially how easy and stupid the game play is at times. The AI is retarded and feels like something out of.... the original game! If you attack opponents from long range with say sniper rifles or the silly predator spear, they have no clue whats to do and just sit there and let you kill them. Also whoever designed the predator spear mechanics... lol. Insanely accurate, it magically comes back to you in 2 seconds, and instant kills?

The game is pretty solid in MP though and fun.

Agree with you on SP. Finished it this weekend. The Alien Campaign was my favorite but overall the SP is average.

MP on 360 however is a fucking blast. I like all the maps (except Jungle when playing a Marine - always falling to the bottom of the map). Only thing they need to patch is tone down the predator disk - give it a cooldown or a windup.

I am really hoping that this doesn't open up a can of worms, but... Given that I won't be playing this on PC, how does the PS3 compare to the 360? I'd usually play all FPS games on 360 for controller, but I only have my PS3 with me for the next couple of weeks and fancy a game to play this weekend. Online isn't an issue - I have friends with both systems. Are there any graphical/framerate/tearing differences between the two formats, for example?

todahawk

360 version incoming!
I've never played MP on my 360 but one of my friends is picking it up.

Either way, i'll be looking for gaffers to play this with as well. GT = todahawk

nyong

Banned
Somehow am I earning MP trophies in SP. Not that I'm complaining....

And there is still nobody playing ranked on PS3 online. At least, I can't find games to save my life. Friendly matches are looking a bit thin, but they're still there.

Unicorn

El_TigroX said:
In case anyone wants it... 3 multiplayer skins from the GameStop pre-order. I won't be using these:

GC2JP-FG4XC-KKB3J-4YV6V-T4FC6
Dang, already taken. If anyone else is feeling generous with the skins, drop me a PM :D

Dibbz

Anyone else managed to get the 6 pack trophy?

That is probably the single hardest trophy I've ever tried to get. Trying to get a party of 7 to connect to a game took literally hours. In the end we got connected to one guy and the game was 7 marines vs 1 alien.

How is it even possible that online in this day and age can be so bad trying to just connect to people?

Falt

Finally got to sit down with this yesterday after picking it up on release. Played the first couple of marine levels. Sound and Lighting design really knocked me for six, wow!

After not playing much of AvP2 and being a huge fan of the original, I'm really enjoying this even after some wobbly moments early on, looking forward to the rest of the campaign.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else experience these random fps drops? In the second level after you use the hacking tool to override the elevator, when I stepped out it pretty much halved, or dipped even more.

I was like "Huh?" So I turned tesselation off, still the same low fps, then after about 30 seconds it was back to normal, so I turned tesselation on again and it was still smooth. So what's up with that?

Does the game load new sections of the level as you go? Or is it just some random problem?
This never happened in the demo. I'm running it in DX11 mode with advanced lighting off, as most people recommend.

Other than that, it's pretty fun, sort of like a mix of AVP1&2 with hot sexy graphics.

Edit: Just continued playing with tesselation on anyway and it went back to full speed again, odd.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do not force AF in this game, it kills framerates. I wasn't paying attention and I left AF forced in CCC and it dropped my FPS by over half.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, the dedicated servers really fixed MP for me! I just wish you weren't thrown in as a Marine during Mixed Species DM if you weren't there for the lobby.

Safe Bet

Banned
Got some playtime with the full version.

2-3 out of 5 is about right.

Hopefully we'll see improvements in the sequel.

PS

Please ditch the alien vs human "boxing" gameplay.

Space Marines do not equal Master Chief.

HooCares

Neo Member
Still loving the shit out of this game's multi but a few things that still bug me:

1) Disc spam as the pred needs a serious nerf. Every other Pred weapon is fine. I think a windup would do fine, or make it use some energy, or both.

2) Aliens make a lot of noise in multi. How does this work exactly? Is it only when they are wall-walking? Only when they are sprinting? (not talking about the hiss, which is distinct).

3) Sometimes when I'm an alien on the floor my tail attack will do a quick strike like I was wall-walking instead of the long windup. Why is this? What determines whether it's a quick strike or long windup?

4) Boost the flame thrower. Other Marine Weapons are good.

5) Will the marine motion tracker pick you up if you are moving very slowly? What about perfectly still? What about rotating your POV while not moving?

6) If I'm an Alien and my dead body acid kills someone I should get the kill. Right now it appears to count as a suicide for the victim.

7) Were the hunter edition maps a timed exclusive or will everyone else have to pay for them? From what I hear they are awesome but there are so few hunter edition owners that they can only play them in organized private games. Hooray from games with small (relative) communities dividing the communities into even smaller ones!

Finally finished the SP Campaigns. I now totally understand the negative vibes.....though I'm still sort of mystified by the incredible hatred leveled at this game. I suppose that everyone has their own idea of what being an Alien, Predator, or a Marine should be and that having a game place boundaries on the imagination is certain to leave many disappointed.

Having said that, I went into this game super excited, and expecting the best, but ultimately I left disappointed, as well. To clarify: I followed this game since I first saw it in action at E3 last year and based solely on what I saw there, I had already planned to purchase, with visions of AvP2 in an updated state dancing in my head.

In summary, I finished the game liking it, but feeling like there were a lot of missed opportunities. Examples: The main shell could've been like Mother from Alien. When reading an audio diary, having to pause and stare at the game's logo while it plays just destroys all the atmosphere. Imagine if that facility had been one huge Arkham-Asylum-esque compound that you could explore for 10-15 hours not once, but three times, from different perspectives. Imagine if the collectables were actually meaningful, and allowed you to return to your HQ and spend them to upgrade or buy new stuff.

In the end, I've never seen the world of Aliens/Predator look so great this gen. But man, I wish I got to actually live in it instead of play the game I was forced to play.

HooCares

Neo Member
For SP,

We've played the standard space marine in AVP 1 and 2. I would've added a twist that you're marine character is secretly an Android (you'd find out after a few levels). Your Android character was modeled after a real marine who was killed so you could take his place and infiltrate the Colonial marines/WY. You're part of some sort of underground syndicate trying to get a hold of Xeno specimens yourself. Yeah, you're the bad guy.

Remember in Aliens when all the colonists were captured and implanted but we never saw how it happened? Here's the chance they couldn't used to explore this. I wish we had a sandbox style Alien level where your purpose was solely to grow the hive (maybe the second Alien mission). You've got to find colonists that are isolated, incapacitate them, and drag them back to the hive (see Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay for dragging mechanics).

I also would've loved a sandbox style hunting level for the Predator (instead of go to point A, B, then C, ok mission over).

Anyway, anyone know any of the answers to my MP questions from 2 posts up?

Unicorn

Lyphen said:
Man, the dedicated servers really fixed MP for me! I just wish you weren't thrown in as a Marine during Mixed Species DM if you weren't there for the lobby.
Yeah, they really need a lobby system like Modern Warfare where people have time to set their "loadout" of preferred species, and perhaps have like a ticket/trade system so if someone wants to be pred and you're pred but want to be alien, you can opt for a trade and if someone wants to be what you are, you all switch around.

Hopefully they really do support this post release. strongly.

Swittcher

Banned
finally going through the marine campaign.

I think all the gameplay has been fine up to this point, I just wish it took even MORE from Aliens, I wish there was a constant squad of commandos you were talking with, who's faces would appear on your HUD, and each would get fucked over and killed the farther you went. And the stupid bitch who's always ordering you around is probably one of the worst characters ever.

I guess Colonial Marines will have that.

The Pred campaigne rules. I really wish there was an awesome Pred-only game in the works to release alongside Robert Rodriguez's Predators.

Darklord

Banned
Lyphen said:
The 4 DLC maps are going to cost 7$. :lol

What a joke. I'm already bored of this game though. What a fucking disappointment. I should have listened to the reviews. The controls in the game are absolutely shocking(even when you get used to them), the multiplayer maps are terrible and the whole game is just really bland. I also can't believe a game that focuses on melee combat in 2/3 of the races has such a poor melee combat system. I wish Monolith made this game like AVP2, it would have been so much better.

They could have done so much more with the game than what we got. I mean come on, where is the loader piloting? You know you want to do this! How about some vehicle segments, like the APC escape from the 2nd Aliens movie. The comics and such had lot of great ideas for stories that didn't seem like just regurgitating the movies over and over again.

The AI was also just awful which made the encounters feel so dated. And the pathetic boss fights, ugh.

The visuals and aspects of the MP were good, but it needed so much more.

HooCares said:
Still loving the shit out of this game's multi but a few things that still bug me:
2) Aliens make a lot of noise in multi. How does this work exactly? Is it only when they are wall-walking? Only when they are sprinting? (not talking about the hiss, which is distinct).
only have time to address one point so this one.

as far as i can tell aliens only make a noise when you hit the hiss button. there's a lot of noises you hear as the alien that no-one else hears. the confusing thing is that there are alien noises in the ambient noises in a lot of levels.

you'll hear aliens even when there aren't any in the map!

kamspy

Can't wait for the servers to roll out. I tried to join some games with Brain Stew and some other friends back when the game first came out but I got hard locks whenever I tried to join someone.

Are the extra maps available for the poors yet? I want some new horde maps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
kamspy said:
Switching to DX9 and turning tex and shadows down to normal locked me in at 60fps.

I only have 512mb of video memory and a DX10 card, so I can't really complain about not being able to play on uber high.

A C2D AND AN 8800 SHOULD MAX OUT EVERYTHING EVER IN PC GAMING FOREVER!!!!11
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif
I have a C2D and I max it out :D
Though that would probably be thanks to my beautiful HD5870 <3

Edit: I want to complain about the horrible latency you get when you play on Dedis but then I remember it's all in beta, but still, browsing the servers and joining one that pings at around 50ms only toget in and get around 110ms instead makes me sad, and the melee behaves weird with high ping as well, like seeing an alien or pred float towards you with the arm stretched out but not hitting you, only to receive damage a few seconds later

Top Bottom