• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

kamspy

Switching to DX9 and turning tex and shadows down to normal locked me in at 60fps.

I only have 512mb of video memory and a DX10 card, so I can't really complain about not being able to play on uber high.

A C2D AND AN 8800 SHOULD MAX OUT EVERYTHING EVER IN PC GAMING FOREVER!!!!11
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif
smiley-angry002.gif

Feeroper

Im having an issue with the controls for the game (PC). I remapped my controls for all species, and for all of them I map jump to the rigt control key. Its fine in single player, but in multi, for some reason, that key stps working after a couple mins. Everything else is fine, but the right control key. I tried to remap, and its like it doesn't even recognize the key is there.

Like I said though, it works fine in single player. Very odd indeed.

On top of this, I am also having the stuttering problem although my PC far exceeds the recomended specs. I did not know about that normal textures trick thoyugh, ill try that tonight.

Feeroper said:
Im having an issue with the controls for the game (PC). I remapped my controls for all species, and for all of them I map jump to the rigt control key. Its fine in single player, but in multi, for some reason, that key stps working after a couple mins. Everything else is fine, but the right control key. I tried to remap, and its like it doesn't even recognize the key is there.

Like I said though, it works fine in single player. Very odd indeed.

On top of this, I am also having the stuttering problem although my PC far exceeds the recomended specs. I did not know about that normal textures trick thoyugh, ill try that tonight.

Try running in DX9 mode and adding the .exe to the AVP3 profile in nhancer if the texture trick doesn't work.

Since only two people took me up on my offer before (both of which have shipped btw) I'll make it again incase anyone is interested. There's posts from 3 happy "customers" in this thread already:

brain_stew said:
Since the last bunch all went through just fine, I'm happy to sort out cheap copies for as many as another ~6 GAFers. So anyone that wants to buy the PC version for $35US / $40AUD / $35 CAD, send me a PM asap and I'll sort it out for you. Basically what I'll do is put in an order to a UK retailer, get the game shipped to me for free within 2 days, then send the activation code to you via email and it'll be added to your Steam list. You can PM Lyphen or "I should be doing hw" if you need someone to verify I'm good on my word.

Any takers, then? :D

If Paypal try to charge you any fees just place them on my end, the numbers quoted should cover it.

People bitching about controls especially for the predator jumping and such playing on consoles? Seems really simple and easy on the PC so far. Really like the whole fast jumping around you can do, really makes you feel like Predator in the first movie zooming around the forest. They missed that in the old games as you were always pretty much just walking around which felt very un predator like.

I should be doing hw said:
wtf? Colonial Marines is Aliens the game made by a competent FPS developer, how in any way does that sound like a "fucking awful idea", to put in your words.

I actually thought CM was supposed to be the Aliens RPG that was being done by Obsidian. To me that was an awful idea. The Gearbox game does sound promising somewhat, though not sure how successful it will be, I find the universe to be somewhat limited with how they present it in the games since they tend to try and stick to just keeping with the 2nd Movie.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Played as an Alien online in SDM this morning. So fun! My team-mates left early in the match, but I still came out with a higher point score than any single predator or marine. So fun!

And finally learning the important of focus really improved my game. They never expect those quick pounces!

Swittcher

Banned
Is there a good method into assuring you can lock into a ranked match in DM, Predator Hunt, or Infestation, but with a friend on X360?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
greenjerk said:

Despite my issues with the game I still think its good, but almost exclusively for the multiplayer, that while using age old mechanics is still very unique and special in todays market. When you play with a good group of people, especially on PC, its so much fun and refreshing.

I do think the campaign as a whole is pretty crap though. They've got the framework set for a multiplayer. Flesh out the campaign next time, Rebellion. Be a bit more unique and adventurous.

todahawk

EatChildren said:
Despite my issues with the game I still think its good, but almost exclusively for the multiplayer, that while using age old mechanics is still very unique and special in todays market. When you play with a good group of people, especially on PC, its so much fun and refreshing.

I do think the campaign as a whole is pretty crap though. They've got the framework set for a multiplayer. Flesh out the campaign next time, Rebellion. Be a bit more unique and adventurous.

As much as I wanted to run out and buy this I've held back. I'm getting a new PC and have been leaning towards getting it on that platform over console due to the concerns over the xbox and ps3 long term communities (plus the textures and overall graphics looks great on PC)

Strummerjones said:
For the ultimate "I can't believe this game was made in 2010" experience, you can't beat the final Marine boss.
Armed with a shotgun, he charges you head on. And you die. Because there's nowhere to hide in the corridor you begin in, and you inexplicably can't duck in AVP anyway, thus making the crates further up useless as cover as well. Even though everything else pointedly can and does crouch behind things. Then you wise up and rush past him to the big statues. And you realise the idea is to run around the statues in a circle chased by him, Benny Hill style, shooting him. Only he can't shoot you back because his AI is so poor it only gets him to fire if there is a clear line of sight, and it doesn't like the clutter of the statue that you yourself can shoot past. You know, like a crude embryonic FPS from 1993 where everything really only worked on a 2D plane. And then when you kill him the ancient ruins you're in suddenly start blowing up, for no reason other than that is what happens when you kill the last boss in a videogame. From 1993.
Truly abysmal.

Ummmm isn't the blowing up due to what happens in the predator campaign?

Dai Kaiju

Just coming in to say:
I don't care what exceptions to the rule you guys have about balance of races. Marines suck ass in multiplayer compared to the other races. At least in the console version. I don't know what it's like in the PC version where it's much easier to aim at what you want to kill, but in the 360 version in species DM, the marines win about 5% of the time. I don't care if the people on the marines team "know what they're doing". If the other races "know what they're doing" as well, then they still have a ridiculous advantage over the marines. Just saying.

The Alien tail attacks seems kind of broken. I've seen people clinging to the ceiling in the more confined maps and once they hit you with it, they can keep doing it until your dead and you have no way of moving because of the temporary stun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MMaRsu said:
I killed the marine boss like EASY

I had zero difficulty when fighting the
Praetorian
in the Pred campaign.
Because it seemed to be programmed to constantly avoid the player it sat across the map standing still, while I stood at the other end on a pillar. Too far for it to spit at me or attack, close enough for me to keep throwing my disk at it endlessly until it was dead. Its alien minions spazzed out and couldn't actually hit me on the platform, as if the AI couldn't work out how to stand on it with me already there.

I literally stood still and threw the disk at it for a few minutes until it died.

Swittcher

Banned
Baloonatic said:
The Alien tail attacks seems kind of broken. I've seen people clinging to the ceiling in the more confined maps and once they hit you with it, they can keep doing it until your dead and you have no way of moving because of the temporary stun.

Yeah, some asshole was doing that during a deathmatch in the jungle last light.

Dai Kaiju

Swittcher said:
Yeah, some asshole was doing that during a deathmatch in the jungle last light.

To hit someone on the ground with your tail while you're on the ceiling, do you have to do focus mode? or does it just auto aim?

Facism

Stallion Free said:
Adding the actual .exes from the game to the AvP3 profile in nHancer gave me a similar performance boost.

see, i'd love to do this, i really would. Bu tthe newest nvidia drivers won't let me use 1440x900x32 properly. The desktop res goes all rough and low res, and running games at 1440x900 zooms them in so i'm not seeing the full picture.

Pimpbaa

This game needs a Predator survivor mode! Hell an alien one would be cool too. Just having a marine survivor mode kinda sucks.

Yeah the marine survivor mode as it stands is pretty cool, but if they added revives and/or sentry guns it would become so excellent as to rip a hole in the very fabric of space-time. Or let us earn extra lives. Being given just a little bit of an edge would be nice.

Also, more maps.

Lord Phol

Dai Kaiju said:
Just coming in to say:
I don't care what exceptions to the rule you guys have about balance of races. Marines suck ass in multiplayer compared to the other races. At least in the console version. I don't know what it's like in the PC version where it's much easier to aim at what you want to kill, but in the 360 version in species DM, the marines win about 5% of the time. I don't care if the people on the marines team "know what they're doing". If the other races "know what they're doing" as well, then they still have a ridiculous advantage over the marines. Just saying.

I only speak from my experience with the PS3 demo, but I didn't have any problem ripping people apart. The pulse rifle does a great amount of dmg, the smartgun is free kills, the shotgun is ass though and the radar helps you alot.
Will have to come back to this once I get a new computer along with the PC version though..

I do hope the game gets good enough support from Rebellion, with patches and the like in the future when needed.

sk3tch

I don't want to offend those of you having a great time with this game - much props to you. But I feel that I must post something about my experience with the game to help people being swayed by all of the "positive vibe" in this thread. I understand not liking bad reviews or being protective of your purchase - so don't flame me for voicing my opinion. :)

With that said - this game is pretty junky. The Alien/Predator fanboy in me wanted to like it so much...but as many have said - it's just dated and not up to the quality necessary for a $59.99 purchase in 2010. The gun play is unsatisfying. The levels, while beautiful and true to the movies, are just corridors. The scares are cheap. I sold mine on eBay last night.

So...caveat emptor, please.

BTW - if you want a GREAT shooter (imo) get Wolfenstein for 360/PS3 - it's on sale for only $25 on Amazon today (2/24 deal of the day).

Dai Kaiju said:
Just coming in to say:

imo only a well equipped predator(disc, plasma caster) has an advantage over the marine, as a marine you:

1) hold your own in close quarters because its difficult to be ambushed when properly using the motion tracker

2) dominate at medium distance because neither alien or predator has a reliable weapon outside alien-tail whip distance

3) you can heal yourself quickly and more times than the predator

4) close quarters block and gunbutt combo is an automatic kill while holding the pulse rifle

the alien is a 2 trick pony unless you get ganged up on, all its got is the windup tail whip while closing in (most times you can kill it with the pulse rifle before it gets too close) and the quick tail whip from the walls/ceilings which can be a problem

the predator is only really good from distance with the plasma caster and combistick, up close unless it gets a good disc shot off it can't do much damage as it's heavy attack has no range and takes longer to windup, most of the time you can see the plasma caster and disc coming because of the red beam and if you are reading the motion tracker right you generally have time to avoid the first attack from either

marine is fine, unfortunately this seems to me like the place where I tell you "you are not good enough at the game", play the marine campaign and work on your blocking and countering skills and those big bad predators and aliens won't seem so scary anymore

sk3tch said:
I don't want to offend those of you having a great time with this game - much props to you. But I feel that I must post something about my experience with the game to help people being swayed by all of the "positive vibe" in this thread. I understand not liking bad reviews or being protective of your purchase - so don't flame me for voicing my opinion. :)

With that said - this game is pretty junky. The Alien/Predator fanboy in me wanted to like it so much...but as many have said - it's just dated and not up to the quality necessary for a $59.99 purchase in 2010. The gun play is unsatisfying. The levels, while beautiful and true to the movies, are just corridors. The scares are cheap. I sold mine on eBay last night.

So...caveat emptor, please.

BTW - if you want a GREAT shooter (imo) get Wolfenstein for 360/PS3 - it's on sale for only $25 on Amazon today (2/24 deal of the day).
I'm a big Wolfenstein fan, but even the superior PC version wasn't that great of a game imo. Lost interest somewhere along the line.

Will compare once my discs have finally been installed (pretty huge install).

eXistor

I've only played a few Marine missions so obviously I can't comment on the overall quality of the game yet, but so far I'm liking it. It looks nice and it plays fine. It's all very basic shooter fare but I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing. Based on what I've played so far I'd say this is the definition of a 7/10 game, which is very respectable imo.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played some predator campaign last night and it was nearly unplayable. Kept load freezing every few seconds. This was with the Steam UI beta and I didn't try restarting my PC either...we'll see if this is fixed tonight. The symptoms are as if I was running out of memory though, which would seem odd as I have 4GB RAM (64-bit W7) and 896MB VRAM.

Unicorn

Dai Kaiju said:
To hit someone on the ground with your tail while you're on the ceiling, do you have to do focus mode? or does it just auto aim?
It auto aims to an extent, but doesn't guarantee a hit. You really have to be precise or extremely lucky to get a "headshot" with the tail from the ceiling, resulting in a one hit kill. Otherwise it takes about 3 stabs to kill a marine running around. It's also really hard for a marine to shoot aliens on the ceiling for some reason. Probably because they can't aim directly up.

TheExodu5 said:
Played some predator campaign last night and it was nearly unplayable. Kept load freezing every few seconds. This was with the Steam UI beta and I didn't try restarting my PC either...we'll see if this is fixed tonight. The symptoms are as if I was running out of memory though, which would seem odd as I have 4GB RAM (64-bit W7) and 896MB VRAM.

Well I've seen the .exe use over 3.9GB on my system! :lol It doesn't cause issues as I've got 6GB of RAM but I think the very high texture settings must be causing a memory leak or something. Anyway, try using DX9 mode.

Dunno if this has been posted before but it looks like tesselation has a tiny impact on performance, pretty incredible considering the quality benefits it can give in close up shots.

2d8nwxz.jpg

So even if you're using a 5770 (heck probably even if you're on a 5750) go ahead and enable tesselation, you'll get much better visuals and performance should be just about the same. Don't bother with advanced shadows though, they seem to cause no overtly visible difference and they rape performance. There's comparison pics at the link:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...-benchmarks-and-graphics-comparison/Practice/

Zeitgeister said:

that was the singleplayer I was referring to, sadly. The only game I played for its multiplayer in recent times has been MW2 (and battlefield 1943).

Well there's your problem, this is a game (and series) that was built around its unique multiplayer first and anyone buying it purely for its single player campaign (at $60 anyway) is probably making a mistake. You could have at least tried survivor mode?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow. If DX9 means 20 more FPS, I'm going to switch over to that! I thought DX11 was suppose to have performance gains? :(

Lyphen said:
Wow. If DX9 means 20 more FPS, I'm going to switch over to that! I thought DX11 was suppose to have performance gains? :(

It doesn't, its the advanced shadows setting that is causing that decrease in performance. Without it (which looks pretty much the same anyway) the DX11 mode should perform the same or better.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Alright, so I finally finished the campaign a few minutes ago, here are my thoughts:

I liked the brevity. I normally don't have the drive to finish single-player games nowadays (screw you Far Cry 2), so being able to wrap something up in 9 hours is nice. I could have even done with a shorter, tighter Marine campaign and a little extra for the Predator and Alien.

The Marine campaign just wasn't fun for me. For every genuinely scary moment, there were three "scare trumpets" that signaled absolutely nothing. For every interesting audio diary, there was some horribly delivered comm chatter from Tequila. It just didn't have much polish, and really felt like it would have needed a couple month more work. Combat Androids also suck, and aren't interesting to fight in any way. They just one-shot you with a shotgun, ignore cover and run at you, and are huge sponges for bullets. Really, really lame enemies.

The Alien campaign was fun. I loved the mobility, and trickery you can do as this species. Breaking lights, hissing, and setting up an ambush is brilliant fun. Not much else to say, other than I wish it was longer, and it had more large indoor environment levels (less cramped cabins).

I finished the Predator campaign last, because I had a hard time getting into the controls at first. Took a lot of changes, but I finally got everything smoothed out, and the campaign ended up being my favorite of the three. I wish they let you acquire the weapons sooner, because it would have made for some really fun game play to have the disc in the more open levels at the beginning. The melee combat was fun once I stopped button mashing, and it's just damn fun to feel like you have such a powerful arsenal at your disposal. Even the narrative was kind of fun, which I wasn't expecting from this game at all. I have one problem, being that the cloak isn't as effective as I think it should be (if they knew I was behind a pillar even at 15 meters they'd be able to spot me).

The graphics/sound design was mostly great. I loved hearing the motion sensor as an Alien, and Marine. The sound you get from piercing an Alien with pulse rounds is so meaty, and so satisfying. Predator voice/laugh/breathing was great, and I loved catching it during the Marine parts. Music was generic, and I wish they had something catchy for the menus/lobbies. And again, the scare trumpet is just fucking useless. And screw Tequila as well, she ruined the Marine campaign. On the graphics end, PC gamers know that the game is easy on the eyes. My only complaint about the looks, is that they should probably look at improving the walking/running animations for the bipeds.

I think the low-mid 70s scores are on the ball when it comes to the campaign. It's no honour student, but I can tell Rebellion tried it's best, and they excelled in a few areas.

greenjerk said:

Read that one before, dude is basically saying that, ignoring all the negative reception, the reception has been really positive. Priceless.

Then again, that seems to echo the weird attitude of just plain ignoring reviews deemed "unsuitable" in this thread, by the thread author no less.

I should be doing hw said:
wtf? Colonial Marines is Aliens the game made by a competent FPS developer, how in any way does that sound like a "fucking awful idea", to put in your words.

I'm not sure I buy the idea of a squad based aliens game, period. I also don't think gearbox knows the first thing about exciting and intense combat, which would realistically be key in making an aliens game. I have a feeling that it will be very mechanical, with a focus on command systems more so than primal fear.

About the predator controls, I'm actually finding myself preferring to use the 360 controller for that species. Its nice to have the flexibility to use whatever suits the different types of gameplay.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm not sure I buy the idea of a squad based aliens game, period. I also don't think gearbox knows the first thing about exciting and intense combat, which would realistically be key in making an aliens game. I have a feeling that it will be very mechanical, with a focus on command systems more so than primal fear.

Have you put any time into the survivor mode in this one? If you had you'd see the enormous potential that a squad based Aliens game has.

PC patch 2 release notes - 1st March 2010:

daPing said:
We’ve been hard at work listening to and addressing your concerns and are pleased to announce that Monday will see the release of an update to Aliens vs Predator, see below for detail on what will be included.

We will also have news on an additional feature we know many of you have been waiting for which is now ready for a closed Beta test!

Please remember and check the revised Readme file when the update becomes available for additional information on the following.

General
- Stability improvements to address rare and infrequent hangs
- Implemented a workaround for missing audio issues with certain hardware (SoundBlaster X-Fi, Realtek onboard, etc.)
- Fixed save games being lost or corrupted if connection to Steam is lost or if user switches to offline play

Multiplayer
- Fixed XP being incorrectly affected by offline play (though only in the local stats; this will be corrected next time you connect to multiplayer)
- Fixed other players sometimes appearing to have the wrong weapon or continuing to fire indefinitely after dying
- Fixed rare issue where players would be temporarily invisible
- Fixed some selection of servers and players in menus sometimes being incorrect

AVP Dedicated Server - Beta release information

daPing said:
Further information regarding the dedicated servers closed beta will be announced on the 1st of March, as stated in "Patch 2 notes" thread which has been stickied in this forum.

Liberty4all

Banned
Rarely does a game come that so clearly falls into the "love it or hate it" category as hard as AvP.

Alot of the folks who were groomed on PC FPS's in the 90's feel right at home ... the game is definitely a throwback in terms of mechanics (no sight to aim down, claustrophobic tunnels, etc) ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What feels "old" to some is "old school" to others. One might even argue that old school is fresh in a market filled with generic shooters each racing to match the other feature for feature.

The best part is watching the sales of the game continue to climb as many folks simply ignore the reviews. No doubt the fact that the game is part of a beloved franchise is helping, as well as having the benefit of being part of a known gaming franchise as well.

My take ... I'm really enjoying the game. It's totally different from basically ALL other FPS's out there on consoles right now. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not the garbage some reviews have made it out to be either (in my opinion).

We gave the game a 7.5 out of 10 which I thought was fair. Personally it's an 8 for me, but I thought Rob touched on alot of good points. The game probaly would have scored far lower for me if it wasn't Aliens vs Predator, however I really felt like Rebellion did a great job in giving the player the sense of how it would "feel" to be an Alien, Predator, or weak Marine.

That to me was extremely important and they nailed it.

Pete Rock

Bamelin said:
The game probaly would have scored far lower for me if it wasn't Aliens vs Predator
Exactly the reason I didn't purchase the game, if only I had currency of subjective value that I could have spent on an objectively inferior game I wouldn't have cared so much :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Lyphen said:
Alright, so I finally finished the campaign a few minutes ago, here are my thoughts:

I liked the brevity. I normally don't have the drive to finish single-player games nowadays (screw you Far Cry 2), so being able to wrap something up in 9 hours is nice. I could have even done with a shorter, tighter Marine campaign and a little extra for the Predator and Alien.

The Marine campaign just wasn't fun for me. For every genuinely scary moment, there were three "scare trumpets" that signaled absolutely nothing. For every interesting audio diary, there was some horribly delivered comm chatter from Tequila. It just didn't have much polish, and really felt like it would have needed a couple month more work. Combat Androids also suck, and aren't interesting to fight in any way. They just one-shot you with a shotgun, ignore cover and run at you, and are huge sponges for bullets. Really, really lame enemies.

The Alien campaign was fun. I loved the mobility, and trickery you can do as this species. Breaking lights, hissing, and setting up an ambush is brilliant fun. Not much else to say, other than I wish it was longer, and it had more large indoor environment levels (less cramped cabins).

I finished the Predator campaign last, because I had a hard time getting into the controls at first. Took a lot of changes, but I finally got everything smoothed out, and the campaign ended up being my favorite of the three. I wish they let you acquire the weapons sooner, because it would have made for some really fun game play to have the disc in the more open levels at the beginning. The melee combat was fun once I stopped button mashing, and it's just damn fun to feel like you have such a powerful arsenal at your disposal. Even the narrative was kind of fun, which I wasn't expecting from this game at all. I have one problem, being that the cloak isn't as effective as I think it should be (if they knew I was behind a pillar even at 15 meters they'd be able to spot me).

The graphics/sound design was mostly great. I loved hearing the motion sensor as an Alien, and Marine. The sound you get from piercing an Alien with pulse rounds is so meaty, and so satisfying. Predator voice/laugh/breathing was great, and I loved catching it during the Marine parts. Music was generic, and I wish they had something catchy for the menus/lobbies. And again, the scare trumpet is just fucking useless. And screw Tequila as well, she ruined the Marine campaign. On the graphics end, PC gamers know that the game is easy on the eyes. My only complaint about the looks, is that they should probably look at improving the walking/running animations for the bipeds.

I think the low-mid 70s scores are on the ball when it comes to the campaign. It's no honour student, but I can tell Rebellion tried it's best, and they excelled in a few areas.

Just wanna say that Androids are NOT bullet sponges. Shoot off limbs with the sniper and they are dead withing few shots.

I just tried out the PC demo and can actually see myself having some fun with the multiplayer. There is this one thing though... What in god's name have they done with the server-system? It was like being back on a Quake server on my 56.6k modem way before quake world was born. At least i could move around though.. The lag in all games so far has made the game unplayable.. Too bad.. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
pappakenoo said:
I just tried out the PC demo and can actually see myself having some fun with the multiplayer. There is this one thing though... What in god's name have they done with the server-system? It was like being back on a Quake server on my 56.6k modem way before quake world was born. At least i could move around though.. The lag in all games so far has made the game unplayable.. Too bad.. :(
It's player-hosted right now, which is definitely a pain, because there is no host migration when there's a disconnect, but it's really, really fun when it works.

brain_stew said:
Well there's your problem, this is a game (and series) that was built around its unique multiplayer first and anyone buying it purely for its single player campaign (at $60 anyway) is probably making a mistake. You could have at least tried survivor mode?

IF I still had an XBL gold account, I would have (same goes Bioshock 2 btw). Regardless of MP though, I disagree entirely on buying games on their multiplayer merits. Any below average game can be made "good" if people are willing to play it, since in MP the activity is what defines the gameplay and not the actual design choices. The latter do shape the edges of it, but the core of MP is its people, not something else. If you want to "grade" a game, I would always start by looking at the singleplayer stuff where design actually matters, instead of using the somewhat 'trivial' multiplayer.

I'm not saying here that I have an opinion about the MP (of this particular game, that is), it's just that I specifically bought it to see its worth as a sequel to the series.. in singleplayer mode. And in that mode, it is not an overstatement to say that I managed to maintain a greater interest in Haze (while playing) then I did with this game. Which is really quite sad, if you compare it the older games which are superior in every possible way.
(except that by now, nobody will be playing those multiplayers. But that's just the thing: MP is temporary, a little extra and ultimately has no future beyond a few months)

Oh, and: when I buy a game to see what they have (like the afore mentioned Haze, but also MGS4 and this AvP iteration), I will still happily the full price for it... for some reason. Probably because I'm a consumer whore like everyone else. :/

By which I mean that I'm not being harsch on this game for the sake of being a douche, it's just really quite bad compared to what came before.

I'm sorry to ask a question that has no doubt been asked many times, but it's a long thread.

Would someone who loved the previous AvP games, but is only interested in the single player campaigns (and seeing another DX11 game) get their money's worth? Thanks. :)

Bamelin said:
Rarely does a game come that so clearly falls into the "love it or hate it" category as hard as AvP.

Alot of the folks who were groomed on PC FPS's in the 90's feel right at home ... the game is definitely a throwback in terms of mechanics (no sight to aim down, claustrophobic tunnels, etc) ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What feels "old" to some is "old school" to others. One might even argue that old school is fresh in a market filled with generic shooters each racing to match the other feature for feature.

The best part is watching the sales of the game continue to climb as many folks simply ignore the reviews. No doubt the fact that the game is part of a beloved franchise is helping, as well as having the benefit of being part of a known gaming franchise as well.

My take ... I'm really enjoying the game. It's totally different from basically ALL other FPS's out there on consoles right now. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not the garbage some reviews have made it out to be either (in my opinion).

We gave the game a 7.5 out of 10 which I thought was fair. Personally it's an 8 for me, but I thought Rob touched on alot of good points. The game probaly would have scored far lower for me if it wasn't Aliens vs Predator, however I really felt like Rebellion did a great job in giving the player the sense of how it would "feel" to be an Alien, Predator, or weak Marine.

That to me was extremely important and they nailed it.

About your comment on the graphics, is the 360 version really that ugly? I mean, on PC, this is one of the most impressive looking games I've played, full stop, and yet you, and a bunch of others are commenting that the console version is flat out ugly.

Played the demo today, maxed it as far as I possibly could on a 4890. Rock solid 60fps goodness, really impressed by the game. It looks pretty even without all the DX11 effects. Hell, between this and the 30fps minimum i'm getting on Crysis Warhead with 4xAA / 8xAF, i'm really impressed by the card!

What's up with the audio diaries in sp? :lol Was everyone just talking shit behind my back and recording it. I really hate audio diaries. It worked in Bioshock, but it just seems like a lazy way of story telling.

CabbageRed said:
I'm sorry to ask a question that has no doubt been asked many times, but it's a long thread.

Would someone who loved the previous AvP games, but is only interested in the single player campaigns (and seeing another DX11 game) get their money's worth? Thanks. :)

I would say: No.

But in terms of DX11 stuff, I don't know. Can't imagine that making a hell of a lot of difference in a UE3 game though.

Top Bottom