• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

Apath

Diablohead said:
What A grim shot of that marine losing his head :lol
Kinda funny how boobs are considered bad but that head is considered a-ok! It's just such a horrifying image :lol

What's even cooler is the animation as an alien, where you actually get the perspective of your tongue-mouth thing as you punch a hole through whatever you grab's skull.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Added a few more reviews to the op.

Unicorn said:
I can't wait to see some mods for this game. Anyone have ideas?

No modding support planned unfortunately. They aren't closed to the idea of opening it up later though.

Unicorn

luka said:

No modding support planned unfortunately. They aren't closed to the idea of opening it up later though.
If they want this game to last past summer, they better!

I really love playing the Predator! It captures being one very well!

I hope the single player game is good. I really loved Aliens 3 on SNES.

panda21 said:
the (dx9) pc demo looks worse than the 360 version even with everything maxed afaik. presumably those are shots from the full game running in dx11? do any of the reviews have actual in-game shots from the PC version?

i didnt like the mp demo but for £17 the marine sp campaign looks fun enough

Ran it in DX9 and it clearly looked better than the 360 version. Ran much smoother, higher res everything. Perhaps 360 had some added effects, but overall it was definitely better looking than the console versions of the demo.

S1kkZ

played the first two missions of all 3 factions and i really like the game (hated the demo).

some impressions (360) version:

marine:
-great atmosphere, directly taken from aliens
-nice lighting system
-the unlimited flares really help, otherwise the game is very dark (with the flashlight)
-everything is taken from aliens: sounds, art design, atmo, alien behavior, some set pieces.
-marine campaign has the best visuals so far, mainly because of the lighting.

alien:
-very nice opening sequence
-gameplay is very stealthy (as expected)
-alien plays very fast, no framerate issues
-some of the stuff is directly taken from the first avp movie (alien queen design).

predator:
-predator feeling is perfect (music, weapons, hud, sound effects: everything is like in the movies)
-jumping around is fun, the jumping cursor is a little clunky
-fighting aliens is not fun. they are hard to see (no alien vision mode so far) and the melee system doesnt feel right. you get used to it but i hope it gets better later on.
-fighting marines is awesome. feels a little bit like arkham asylum.
-mostly melee combat, you have guns but the ammo is very limited (so far).

the game runs very smooth on 360 (no tearing, almost no slowdown).
not the best looking game ever but the atmosphere is fantastic.

Dennis

Banned
S1kkZ said:
played the first two missions of all 3 factions and i really like the game (hated the demo).

* impressions (360) *
Sounds good, looking forward to the campaigns, and thanks for posting your impressions.

todahawk

luka said:

@Luka, I'm guessing your screenies in the OP are from PC?

@everyone else
Am I the only one who's a little concerned this is gonna bomb, regardless of the quality?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Normally, I'm pretty scared about purchasing MP games at launch, because they're so dependent on playerbase. But this time, I'm saying "screw you" to that catch-22 mentality, and diving in.

At the very least, even 1v1 will be fun.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
brain_stew said:
PC version is only £17 here in the UK and can be added to Steam. A no brainer really.
Just ordered from Play myself the price was too good to turn down, and I'm sure the full game will be so much better than the demo. Already got the Dragon Age, Anno 1404 and DoW2 expansions pre-ordered with STALKER CoP waiting at home and also Bad Company 2. I really shouldn't buy so many games :lol
greenjerk said:
@everyone else
Am I the only one who's a little concerned this is gonna bomb, regardless of the quality?
I think the poor demo could have been a huge mistake, they choose the worst game mode and gave the user no help in how to play, not to mention the matchmaking problems at the start.

todahawk

Ikuu said:
I think the poor demo could have been a huge mistake, they choose the worst game mode and gave the user no help in how to play, not to mention the matchmaking problems at the start.

Yeah, I'm a huge Aliens & Predator fan, played the PC games and was hugely disappointed in the demo. There are so many people on the fence on this game that it worries me that the craptacular demo will hurt the install base.

Shit, this was a day 1 purchase for me from the day I heard about it but now I'm torn.

AstroMan

Banned
ArjanN said:
While I've never heard of Seraphic Gaming Club either, I have read the Game Informer review and it's just a very poorly written review. For example he spends exactly one (1) line on the multiplayer.

Could still be added to the OP though, just so we can mock it later.

Regardless of what we think about the Game Informer review, not including the score and review does an extreme disservice to anyone that comes across this thread. It should be included and readers should be able to make their own decision on they feel the review is accurate, or now.

Sullen said:
Wow dude, really? :lol

Yes, really. Unlike other people I believe in representing the full spectrum of opinions and not just picking reviews that help sell a product or boost the perception of scores by including websites that don't strike one as the type to get a high profile title such as this for review.

brain_stew said:
:lol

Yep, a magazine published by the biggest game retailer in the US, sure is the bastion of objectivity.

GameStop offers three exclusive mutiplayer skins to those that pre-order AvP, so if all they cared about were sales, surely they would have given AvP a high score in order to boost the sales and pre-orders at GameStop, correct? Since they didn't (but had every reason to) it appears that the reviewers feelings on the game were his own and genuine as apposed to being molded in a way to fit some evil GameStop agenda.

People sure like to forget that individuals have different feelings about games and when they publish a review people like to cast blame on the website as a whole instead of treating the review as the opinion said individual.

Glad to see the review has been added, it's a shame that it took so long, however.

S1kkZ

greenjerk said:
Shit, this was a day 1 purchase for me from the day I heard about it but now I'm torn.
dont be torn. the game is awesome. the mp demo was a huge mistake, that will cost them a lot of sales.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AstroMan said:
Glad to see the review has been added, it's a shame that it took so long, however.

In my defense, I was drunk and posting from a friend's ps3 last night. :lol

That said, I am still apprehensive about posting reviews where it is questionable whether or not they actually played the game. In the end though it won't matter once more reviews start coming in and people see the extreme disparity with that particular article.

Unicorn

AstroMan said:
Yeah, taking less than 24 hours to post it is soooooo long.
luka said:
In the end though it won't matter once more reviews start coming in and people see the extreme disparity with that particular article.

This. Anyone who actually read that review will immediately notice something fishy about it.

Really looking forward to the single player. I hope the mutiplayer has a decent amount of players as well, I have fond memories of the AVP2 multiplayer.

Jenga

Banned
BravoSuperStar said:
The GI review is not THAT bad people. Get a grip on reality, it's just one persons opinion.
A poorly formed half-ass opinion. I have no problem with the low score, I do have a problem with the quality of the review itself. The review sucked balls.

Good OP although I wish my MacBook supported more than a 1280x800 resolution. ;)

I don't expect this game to be the world's greatest, so I anticipate average reviews. But I think it'll be fun, the Marines campaign and the multiplayer is what I'm here for.

panda21

S1kkZ said:

some impressions (360) version:

marine:
-great atmosphere, directly taken from aliens
-nice lighting system
-the unlimited flares really help, otherwise the game is very dark (with the flashlight)
-everything is taken from aliens: sounds, art design, atmo, alien behavior, some set pieces.
-marine campaign has the best visuals so far, mainly because of the lighting.

how does it play as a marine? is it almost a survival horror kind of thing all the way through? the clip with the flares (night club i think) looked pretty neat like that

Jenga said:
A poorly formed half-ass opinion. I have no problem with the low score, I do have a problem with the quality of the review itself. The review sucked balls.

How, specifically? The only problem I saw was that the reviewer was apparently expecting something different, or had their own expectations instead of reviewing the game on it's own terms. I'm not saying it's a "well done" review by any means, but the whole conspiracy theory and other assumptions being tossed around are a little ridiculous.

The GI score means nothing. 7 on their scale is 'average' and 5 is 'passable.' I'm not exactly sure on what the difference is, as far as I'm concerned those are practically synonyms.

I wouldn't get too upset over it, we'll all be able to make our own decisions soon.

I will say if you don't like it, remember that guy's name (I'm assuming GI identifies its reviewers) and take that into account if you ever see him review a game again.

Jenga

Banned
BravoSuperStar said:
How, specifically? The only problem I saw was that the reviewer was apparently expecting something different, or had their own expectations instead of reviewing the game on it's own terms. I'm not saying it's a "well done" review by any means, but the whole conspiracy theory and other assumptions being tossed around are a little ridiculous.
Ones I do not support. I don't think there is some sort of stupid conspiracy or what the fuck ever people have planned up, the review just sucked balls.

The only problem I saw was that the reviewer was apparently expecting something different, or had their own expectations instead of reviewing the game on it's own terms.
Basically how I felt about it too. Along with the fact he didn't really review the MP component (a major feature obviously), the review was just flat-out poor. I don't think Rebellion is being sabotaged or anything silly.

AstroMan

Banned
luka said:
In my defense, I was drunk and posting from a friend's ps3 last night. :lol

That said, I am still apprehensive about posting reviews where it is questionable whether or not they actually played the game. In the end though it won't matter once more reviews start coming in and people see the extreme disparity with that particular article.

I wasn't trying to make waves, just trying to make sure everyone sees the full picture. I will say that it remains to be seen if the game continues to get 8's or if all the favorable reviews are just showing up before the rest.

Unicorn said:
Yeah, taking less than 24 hours to post it is soooooo long.

Considering the review and it's score has been widly known for sometime now, one would think that it would have been available in the beginning and before Seraphic Gaming Club (curious as to how the review was actually found).

Jenga said:
wait, weren't you that one guy who also kept defending this fucking awful review at the AVP demo thread? How much does GI pay?

While I don't recall making posts in the demo thread that sound like I collect a paycheck from GameInformer, I will say that after playing the broken mutiplayer demo for AvP I couldn't help but see that review as being accurate to the quality of the game but after reading the IGN UK and OXM reviews, I'm starting to believe that the game might actually be decent.

Though considering other quality titles that have gained Rebellions seal of approval, I still remain skeptical.

Hmm, I've pre-ordered and canceled the order for this game about three times over the last few months. This thread has me thinking about ordering it again!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
panda21 said:
how does it play as a marine? is it almost a survival horror kind of thing all the way through? the clip with the flares (night club i think) looked pretty neat like that

Yeah I love that nightclub bit. I thought it would be stupid but the music is perfect.

Neuromancer said:
Good OP although I wish my MacBook supported more than a 1280x800 resolution. ;)

Heh, sorry. Maybe I'll shrink things down a bit. I really wanted to post the original 1080p screenshots though. :( Maybe I'll thumbnail 'em.

S1kkZ

panda21 said:

not quite survival horror (i dont feel helpless or scared with a gun in my hand), but it gets very intense and hectic (in a good way). from all 3 campaigns, the marine one has the best atmo, by far (but predator is the coolest). but i only played 3 marine missions so far.

Kuroyume

Banned
The demo is so much fun. I went from hating it and thinking it was complete crap to really enjoying it after giving it another shot. That multiplayer combat video is really important.

luka said:

Anyone having trouble with the combat in the demo should see this. This should have been included with the demo because I couldn't figure out what the hell the focus button did until I watched it later on.

Captain N

Neuromancer said:
^Cool video but wouldn't the Predator get covered in acid blood when he executes that trophy kill?

you can actually get hurt by the acid blood in the multiplayer demo.

grendelrt

Played more of the demo today on PC. Went ahead an pre ordered on Steam, cant wait, the multiplayer modes look awesome.

Unicorn

Captain N said:
How do you counter stealth kills?
I'd like to know as well. My friend and I just spam the bumpers and sometimes it works. I think it has something to do with remaining health and if it's a front trophy kill.

Captain N said:
you can actually get hurt by the acid blood in the multiplayer demo.

As an alien, I've gotten 2 kills by acid. It's very minimal in terms of damage, but if they're standing on your corpse after you've had a close melee battle and then someone starts to shoot them, the acid will probably kill them.

Haeleos

They're going to have to release a new demo if they want my $. The DM only demo was a terrible idea.

Those screens look really nice though.

Liked the demo, love the series, love the movies. But this pre-order content that immediately divides the community AND is ready by release is some low down dirty shit. Four maps and three character skins already done and they're not shipping them?

Unicorn

Bamelin said:
I can't run the PC version.

PS3 or 360, any opinions?
360 will have a larger install base because the ps3 demo turned a lot of people off. for over a week ps3 people couldn't even play online. Why would they want to buy a game they don't even think they could play online? fixes or not.

Top Bottom