• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

The Alpha pricing in Europe is absurd, which is a shame cause this thing has really potential.

599 euro for the base model is simply too high.

JMTHEFOX

I am getting a Steam Machine in November but I figure the Alpha is close enough that my question would still apply.

1. I have already bought a 1 terrabyte ssd. When I replace the 7200 rpm drive should I buy an enclosure for it and put the games on the 7200 and just use the ssd for the operating system?

2. I know Alpha users got free games with their systems. It doesn't look like Steam Machine users will get any free games, (maybe thats why they chopped the price down to $450) but just in case were you given codes for the games or were they installed on the hard drive already?

If I replace the hard drive do I lose those games if they are preinstalled.

Thank's in advance for any information.

Not sure about question 1.

IIRC, the free games that you redeemed on Steam are tied to your account so even if you replace the HDD, you will still have the games on your Steam Account. You still have to reinstall them though.

Nzyme32

I am getting a Steam Machine in November but I figure the Alpha is close enough that my question would still apply.

1. I have already bought a 1 terrabyte ssd. When I replace the 7200 rpm drive should I buy an enclosure for it and put the games on the 7200 and just use the ssd for the operating system?

2. I know Alpha users got free games with their systems. It doesn't look like Steam Machine users will get any free games, (maybe thats why they chopped the price down to $450) but just in case were you given codes for the games or were they installed on the hard drive already?

If I replace the hard drive do I lose those games if they are preinstalled.

Thank's in advance for any information.

1 - The free games should be bound to your steam account so you can redownload them any time. You could get an enclosure or use a different machine or USB drive to back the games up if you wanted. I would use the ssd for everything at that size

2 - Just putting it out there, but quite a while ago SteamDB discovered what looked like indications of a whole bunch of free games for steam machine owners or a little less so for steam controller owners. Nothing has been seen since but it wouldn't surprise me if that happens eventually

LordOfChaos

No chance of an update to this thing any time soon, I'm assuming? It's tempting, especially at those frequent sale prices where it's hard to even match its value with home built systems, but the GPU is my main bar. Something at least decently above the PS4 for some level of headroom for console ports for the next few years would be nice, as would 3GB for peace of mind. As it is, I'd worry about how good it would be for AAA games in two years.

The CPU side too, you can upgrade to any i5 or i7, but it will limit the clock speeds well below what they can do for thermal reasons. An update with a bit more power supply and cooling headroom would go a long way...

Sorcerer

No chance of an update to this thing any time soon, I'm assuming? It's tempting, especially at those frequent sale prices where it's hard to even match its value with home built systems, but the GPU is my main bar. Something at least decently above the PS4 for some level of headroom for console ports for the next few years would be nice, as would 3GB for peace of mind. As it is, I'd worry about how good it would be for AAA games in two years.

The CPU side too, you can upgrade to any i5 or i7, but it will limit the clock speeds well below what they can do for thermal reasons. An update with a bit more power supply and cooling headroom would go a long way...

From what I understand the Alpha/Steam Machines use T processors. And those seem to be perfect for the machine.

I have read on other forums about people contemplating more powerful processors, but it would cause a problem with heat and the bios will restrict your more powerful processor anyway. Some were contemplating mutilating their machines to accommodate a more powerful power supply to accommodate a more powerful processor.

Someone on another forum bought an 13 Alpha, replaced it with an i7-4765T (the same processor Alienware uses, and seemed to feel this was simply the best way to go because thats what the machine was designed to use and overheating is nonexistent since you are capped at 35watts.

In the end Alphas/Steam Machines are laptops in a console form factor.

dottme

Hi guys,

When I start the application for the windows 10 update, it reports that the graphic card won't be supported. Do we know if Alienware is planning to support windows 10 on the alpha?

longdi

Banned
Maybe someone will put the Broadwell Iris Pro and a smaller Maxwell mobile chip together and let Windows 10 do the asymmetrical GPUs rendering

Hi guys,

When I start the application for the windows 10 update, it reports that the graphic card won't be supported. Do we know if Alienware is planning to support windows 10 on the alpha?

Running 10 on mine at the moment, and it downloaded a WDDM 2.0 BETA driver direct from NVidia. I wasn't aware the Alienware GPU was finally part of the verde program, but there you go. (It did however take a day for it to actually show up on Windows Update after installing the driver)

dottme

Running 10 on mine at the moment, and it downloaded a WDDM 2.0 BETA driver direct from NVidia. I wasn't aware the Alienware GPU was finally part of the verde program, but there you go. (It did however take a day for it to actually show up on Windows Update after installing the driver)
Thank you. This is great.

LordOfChaos

Maybe someone will put the Broadwell Iris Pro and a smaller Maxwell mobile chip together and let Windows 10 do the asymmetrical GPUs rendering

Seems wasteful, Iris Pro is expensive. Like almost the cost of a discreet GPU on top of what you'd pay for a non-IP CPU-equivalent Intel chip.

And that's for what, a few frames extra with asymmetrical rendering, and we still have not seen what the frame times are like on that (it may introduce judder).

Why not put all that extra cost towards a better dGPU? That's the best upgrade a box like this could get, since the GPU is soldered in, go with the best GPU they can up front.

4770HQ, with Iris Pro 5200? $434.00.
http://ark.intel.com/products/83505/Intel-Core-i7-4770HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Hikami

Would I still be able to transfer the OS and all that to a new drive with Windows 10 like you can with Windows 8? Not too sure how all that works.

I still have the stock HDD the alpha came with, plan on switching it for an SSD later though. Should I update to Windows 10 now or when I get the SSD in?

LordOfChaos

Would I still be able to transfer the OS and all that to a new drive with Windows 10 like you can with Windows 8? Not too sure how all that works.

I still have the stock HDD the alpha came with, plan on switching it for an SSD later though. Should I update to Windows 10 now or when I get the SSD in?

You can make full disk image clones, yeah. But going from a HDD to SSD, I believe it's recommended you do a clean install, then move your files over, something about cluster sizes and SSD performance.

oatmeal

Banned
Got one on eBay today...can't wait for it to land.

Couldn't wait any longer for a sale :/

Baseline with 8GB RAM.

Super excited.

Will it work with the existing 4GB stick that's in my Alpha, or would I need to remove that?

It's always recommended to have the same memory sticks. So will it work? It might but not recommended.

You're allowed to upgrade the power supply without voiding the warranty. The power cable is the power supply. As for keeping it cool enough... Well, you might have to get creative. One day (maybe next year) I'll be adventurous, heh.

Boy my lowest tier alpha takes forever to boot up. More or less happy with it so far otherwise though,

My 15 8GB boots slow as hell too. I just started booting straight to windows desktop

Get a SSD. Best upgrade ever. Even if you just get a small one to fit the OS and buy an enclosure for the current hard drive to make it an external, it's totally worth it. Computer boots faster than my TV does, lol (on a side note, why can't they put a half decent processor on a TV so it can start up right away, geeeeez, haha)

Get a SSD. Best upgrade ever. Even if you just get a small one to fit the OS and buy an enclosure for the current hard drive to make it an external, it's totally worth it. Computer boots faster than my TV does, lol (on a side note, why can't they put a half decent processor on a TV so it can start up right away, geeeeez, haha)

I'm moving this week, but after I get settled I was planning on trying one. :)

bomblord1

Banned
Not sure if this is thread worthy but Dell's doing a deal where you can get the alienware Alpha, a 32" TV and these games

Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Awesomenauts, Magicka, Metro: Last Light, PAYDAY 2 and Strike Suit Zero

For $699 (i3 8GB ram version)

Volimar

Hmm, I tried to play Xcom and it thought that my 360 controller was a mouse. Clearly because of their UI, but how do I get it to stop that? I don't mind so much with xcom, but other games I'd like to use the controller as a controller.

MCD

Hello

Bought one yesterday and so far, so good. Ran into some freezing/audio freezing issues which I hope are solved after uninstalling Nvidia HD Audio Driver and Alienware Command Console app.

But now I have just one stupid question: I used my own SSD (Intel) instead of the stock HDD plus my own Windows 8.1 copy. I had to disable UEFI and enable Legacy boot option for the SSD to be identified.

Is that a normal thing? What would I lose by disabling UEFI? Any disadvantages etc?

MBison

I was thinking of getting an alpha because of the portability, I can move it from my theater room to my living room etc. I am deciding between the i5 and i7. I have read online a few places that the i7 isn't necessarily cause the gpu bottlenecks it anyhow. Is that true?

Are there fps benchmarks for the i5 vs the i7? Has anyone posted in this thread specifics?

RM8

I guess most of us have experience with only one version :p I also have read that the best deal for its price is the i5 one, so I guess I'd recommend that since they all have indeed the same GPU. I only got the i7 because it was the only available version at the time on Amazon Japan, I probably would have bought the i5 otherwise. FWIW my i7 is awesome and hits every game I own out of the park <3

Hmm, I tried to play Xcom and it thought that my 360 controller was a mouse. Clearly because of their UI, but how do I get it to stop that? I don't mind so much with xcom, but other games I'd like to use the controller as a controller.

There is a button combo to have the controller switch between a mouse and controller.

I'm pretty sure it's LT, RT, LB, RB, L Analog, R Analog and then let go. That is, you have to be pressing all those buttons together before you let go.

MBison

I guess most of us have experience with only one version :p I also have read that the best deal for its price is the i5 one, so I guess I'd recommend that since they all have indeed the same GPU. I only got the i7 because it was the only available version at the time on Amazon Japan, I probably would have bought the i5 otherwise. FWIW my i7 is awesome and hits every game I own out of the park <3

Haha I know, I just can't find anywhere in this thread or the internet anywhere where people have posted fps benchmarks for the i5 and i7.

Haha I know, I just can't find anywhere in this thread or the internet anywhere where people have posted fps benchmarks for the i5 and i7.

I don't have a link for you but I have seen some comparison benchmarks on a few games and the difference is negligible.

We're talking about 1-2 fps difference at most. The difference might be greater on some games with multithreading or higher RAM requirements.

I am an i7 owner and I went for it mostly because of Windows 10/dx12 and the 2TB HDD.

Pooya

search on youtube, there are so many fps tests on i7 and i3 alpha. i5 shouldn't be any different than i7 one with this GPU. hell, i7 one isn't any different than i3 unless it's Crysis 3. Digital Foundry had a test too.

I was thinking of getting an alpha because of the portability, I can move it from my theater room to my living room etc. I am deciding between the i5 and i7. I have read online a few places that the i7 isn't necessarily cause the gpu bottlenecks it anyhow. Is that true?

Are there fps benchmarks for the i5 vs the i7? Has anyone posted in this thread specifics?

i7 won't help with gaming. Only helps with me so that I can process video editing/photo editing faster.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I came in here to ask if the GPU was upgradeable, and learned it isn't. :-(

I guess I'll look at the notebooks and see what's up there. This is so confusing, so many options on where to go...

MCD

Now I am looking for a good monitor for my Alpha.

Problem is what to choose. 1440p might be too much for the little guy but I want 27" and everyone saying 1080p is not worth it at this size. 144hz? Doubt it can go above 60hz. TN panels? Good for gaming but I am tired of TN average colors and wanna try IPS but then there is ghosting...

Fuck it all. I hate the monitors market.

bomblord1

Banned

Problem is what to choose. 1440p might be too much for the little guy but I want 27" and everyone saying 1080p is not worth it at this size. 144hz? Doubt it can go above 60hz. TN panels? Good for gaming but I am tired of TN average colors and wanna try IPS but then there is ghosting...

None of the issues are actually serious issues. 1080p doesn't look awful on a 27" display, the system will be able to run everyday tasks @ 1440p and IPS ghosting is not something that will seriously impede your enjoyment.

I say go with whatever is cheapest.

MCD

None of the issues are actually serious issues. 1080p doesn't look awful on a 27" display, the system will be able to run everyday tasks @ 1440p and IPS ghosting is not something that will seriously impede your enjoyment.

I say go with whatever is cheapest.

I guess reading too much on the internet made me paranoid.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've got a 27" 1080p IPS monitor and quite enjoy it. A 24" monitor does look a little bit better due to the pixel density, but it's really not that significant.

IPS monitors do have more ghosting, but it's different from panel to panel and again, probably not nearly as significant as you're thinking. Lots and lots of us play on IPS monitors just fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I have a 27" 1080p monitor and it is fine. Sit a couple of feet back from it. I like the idea of 1440p for day to day use and more real estate, but for gaming and video watching it is great. Also easier to connect up my old PS3.

For the alpha realistically a 1080p display makes sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a benq something something with a VA screen and like it a lot. That 144Hz screen is probably overkill for the GPU in the alpha. But if your budget stretches that far, how about a gsync 1080p monitor? Could be useful if your GPU supports it, to smooth things out when you are between 30-60fps. Aced predator do a 27" 1080p gsync

MCD

I have a benq something something with a VA screen and like it a lot. That 144Hz screen is probably overkill for the GPU in the alpha. But if your budget stretches that far, how about a gsync 1080p monitor? Could be useful if your GPU supports it, to smooth things out when you are between 30-60fps. Aced predator do a 27" 1080p gsync

I am not sure if Alienware Alpha gpu supports g-sync especially since its hdmi only and the Acer Predator I looked at while searching only had one displayport.

TL;DR: Between those three, I'd go with the Asus.

IMO 27" doesn't look good in 1080p with how close you are to a monitor compared to a TV. I have a 24" and a 22" BenQ monitors and even 24" feels like I would have went with 1440p if 1440p monitors with a good response time were cheaper or just got another 22" monitor. But that might be me being picky. It also depends on what you're playing. Need fast response times (MOBAs, FPS, fighting games) I'd stick with 1080p for sure for the reason of 1440p monitors with good response times are expensive. Playing mostly single player games or MMO's or something, 1440p might just be prettier. But I'm digressing from your actual query of trying to pick a monitor between those three monitors.

I was looking at that Asus before actually, if you want to stay at that size I believe it reviewed well. Personally, I just looked at it and decided I didn't like the pixel density so I went smaller.

(Sidenote: In case you don't know, don't fall for GTG or "grey-to-grey" response times - in real life application that's meaningless. The Asus monitor's real colour-to-colour response time is 9ms and the BenQ one there is 1ms slower actually at 10ms (although practically speaking you'll never notice). So the Asus monitor is basically just as good at the same price for when it comes to response times)

EDIT: To note, newer games at 1440p might be pushing the Alpha so you might have to lower settings to keep it at 1440p so there are pros and cons. But for "older games" (anything 2 years old or older) I run in 1440p and downscale to 1080p so you'd be able to run that if you plan to go to 1440p.

MCD

Really thank you for the detailed reponse as well as bomblord, seanspeed and mrklaw.

I was leaning towards the Asus and you just cemented that choice.

And wow, nice info about the response time. Didn't know that.

My games are mostly single player stuff but not really pushing graphics or anything so 1440p or 144hz are overkill for me as well as the Alpha. I mostly play Japanese games that don't need killer GPU (Ys, DMC4, upcoming Tales on Steam etc).

Again, thank you good sir. I owe you one.

TheXRavenX

Neo Member
Hi,

I just wanted to point out our new HiveMind interface launched today which fully enables all the Kodi functionality that had been hidden away with Alpha UI.

New interface, new game launcher, new hot keys, new videos and room for future expansion.

In the next update we are working to bring GoG, Uplay, Origin, and Battle.net support into our game launcher. We are also working on a new app launcher that will allow you to launch Win32/Universal Apps and Web Browsers directly form the hive and interact with them with the controller and an onscreen keyboard.

If you got rid of the old Alpha UI you can download HiveMind from support.dell.com

Top Bottom