• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

Got my alpha in and set up, though I still have to do the swap over to the SSD. A quick couple questions, however:

When I shut down the Alpha the controller keeps blinking and wasting batteries. I don't know how long it does this for, but at least 3 minutes have passed and it keeps blinking. Is this normal?

Along those same lines, does the controller really not turn on the system (like the 360, by holding the guide button)? If not, that's pretty lame. Is the only way by getting up and pressing the Alienware button?

Also didn't see a way to go to the desktop from the Alienware UI if I didn't have a mouse hooked up, even when I was using the controller as a mouse. Is that normal?

The controller thing, yeah that is pretty lame, I have just got into the habit of disconnecting the battery pack from the controller.
To go to desktop, you should go the far right option, select it which should bring up a sub menu, where you can select an option to go to desktop.
To turn the controller into a mouse hold Left Trigger, Left Button, Right Trigger and Right Button (LT, LB, RT, RB) and pressing down on the left analog stick, repeat to turn it back to a controller.

I wish someone would make a high end one of these "PC console systems" for like $1500 or so.

Then you could have all the perks, with all the potential too!

Trouble

Banned
I've given up on Alpha UI, at least for the time being.

I installed XBStart and set my desktop account to auto-login. This way I can run Geforce Experience, Origin, Uplay, Netflix, Plex, etc. The Alienware mouse mode still works with XBStart, so controller only navigation is pretty well sorted. I probably wouldn't recommend this setup without a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I installed XBStart and set my desktop account to auto-login. This way I can run Geforce Experience, Origin, Uplay, Netflix, Plex, etc. The Alienware mouse mode still works with XBStart, so controller only navigation is pretty well sorted. I probably wouldn't recommend this setup without a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, though.

Wow. Did not know about xbstart. Thanks for the heads up.

The controller thing, yeah that is pretty lame, I have just got into the habit of disconnecting the battery pack from the controller.
To go to desktop, you should go the far right option, select it which should bring up a sub menu, where you can select an option to go to desktop.
To turn the controller into a mouse hold Left Trigger, Left Button, Right Trigger and Right Button (LT, LB, RT, RB) and pressing down on the left analog stick, repeat to turn it back to a controller.

What's odd is the option to go to the desktop from the far right (Power) option is grayed out for me (with a note that I need a pointing device, even though I've got the controller in mouse mode). Gizmodo review alludes to this with "You can only set those up on the Windows desktop, and Alienware won't let you go there without the right peripherals—even if the controller's mouse emulator is technically decent enough to click through to the Windows 8.1 audio settings menu." -- is anyone here actually able to go to the desktop without having some form of mouse / touchpad connected (even if you could use the controller thereafter)?

The greatest feature is holding down the xbox button for 3 seconds turns off the controller. No more unplugging the battery!

That's really nice. Yeah, I think I have to ditch the Alienware UI in favor of something else. Just little things adding up beyond not being able to go to desktop -- like every menu that supports d-pad should support the left analog stick.

How does one set up an application to run full-screen on startup like Alienware UI does? Tempted to just try to code up something to use. Also will eventually want to launch into a front-end like Hyperspin or something when I toss this in a cabinet sometime down the road. I guess I can just use Run at Startup. Would be great to seamlessly mix Steam, GOG, etc. games -- though I guess pinning all of those to the Start screen and using XBStart would do the trick.

Hmmm, actually the more I read I really should just install Kodi. Looks like it'll be getting lots of game launching support.

I tried installing it and it didn't work. Even followed what it said about opening on the desktop and no anti-virus on. Any suggestions ?

Trouble

Banned
I tried installing it and it didn't work. Even followed what it said about opening on the desktop and no anti-virus on. Any suggestions ?

I just installed it and it worked. I didn't do anything special, just ran it from Downloads, didn't disable Windows Defender.

Vormund

That's really nice. Yeah, I think I have to ditch the Alienware UI in favor of something else. Just little things adding up beyond not being able to go to desktop -- like every menu that supports d-pad should support the left analog stick.

How does one set up an application to run full-screen on startup like Alienware UI does? Tempted to just try to code up something to use. Also will eventually want to launch into a front-end like Hyperspin or something when I toss this in a cabinet sometime down the road. I guess I can just use Run at Startup. Would be great to seamlessly mix Steam, GOG, etc. games -- though I guess pinning all of those to the Start screen and using XBStart would do the trick.

Hmmm, actually the more I read I really should just install Kodi. Looks like it'll be getting lots of game launching support.

I have set up my X51 to boot directly into Steam BPM, completely bypassing the Windows desktop. It requires screwing with the registry however.

Link HERE

It must be said though, when you go to exit to desktop, the desktop still doesn't show up however (black screen) you have to bring up task manager and run explorer.exe from there. Not much of an issue, I very rarely use it on the X51 anyway. It could probably be fixed if I set explorer.exe to delayed start.

Methos#1975

Since someone asked about it, I made a short MKX vid of it on the Alpha. Bare in mind that while everything is on its highest settings, I am playing in 900p. The Alpha could play this game in 1080p no issue if it wasn't such a bad port, it is smooth for the most part in 1080p, but the Sky Temple and Jungle stage kills the FPS, as does Raiden. That stated, it looks really really damn good in 900p. Better than the XB1 version at least IMO doing side by sides on my TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhHH1wtTCw

The Light

Ok so friday I received the pre-owned alpha I bought from amazon warehouse. My plan was just to install windows 7 on it since I don't have an windows 8.1 key. However as I was unpacking everything and looking over the console I noticed there is a refurb 8.1 product key tape to the bottom of it. Am I able to use that?

Alright I've got a strange problem.

The left stick of my 360 controller is controlling the mouse. So when I use the left stick for movement in a game it also moves the camera. I've tried clicking all four triggers and the left stick, which was a suggestion elsewhere, with no luck. The fix is apparently to go through the controller setup in Console Mode in the Alpha UI, which I think I skipped in the first place. Problem is when I boot my computer up it goes straight to Windows with no boot option. Hitting f12 for boot options still just goes straight to Windows. Anyone have any ideas?

On a side note, simply upgrading my ram to 12 gigs alleviated my GTA 5 performance problems.

Edit: Might just have to do a factory reset.

Is anyone with an Alpha playing Mortal Kombat X? I'm getting mine next week and I'd like to know if I'll be able to play it :x I ask because people with pretty good PCs are getting all kinds of ridiculous issues, it's not a very good port.

Since someone asked about it, I made a short MKX vid of it on the Alpha. Bare in mind that while everything is on its highest settings, I am playing in 900p. The Alpha could play this game in 1080p no issue if it wasn't such a bad port, it is smooth for the most part in 1080p, but the Sky Temple and Jungle stage kills the FPS, as does Raiden. That stated, it looks really really damn good in 900p. Better than the XB1 version at least IMO doing side by sides on my TV.

I play with everything on High, however at 1360 x 768 (my TVs native resolution). I don't get any FPS drops in any stage. I have the base unit with 8GB RAM.

BTW, if anyone wants the latest beta GPU drivers from Nvidia:

http://1drv.ms/1DrCOOs

What games have you tested and at what settings? Also, does ShadowPlay work? If so, how is the performance?

Thanks

That would take me way too long to answer accurately. I've had my Alpha since December and my Steam library is somewhere around 180 games :)

Most recently released games that I can remember have probably been MKX, GTAV, Life is Strange, and Evolve. Evolve, if I recall correctly, I ran with everything on High except textures which I dropped to medium. Still looks great, and runs just fine.

For GTAV, I copied the settings from this Eurogamer/DF article.

Life is Strange...everything on max I think. No problems there.

I've also played a fair bit of Alien: Isolation recently and there are videos to prove that the Alpha can handle everything on Ultra in that game and run it at 1080p/60fps.

I couldn't get ShadowPlay to work back in December when I tried it. I haven't really bothered with it since.

My most played game has been Ultra Street Fighter IV, and I get close to 200fps in the benchmark.

That would take me way too long to answer accurately. I've had my Alpha since December and my Steam library is somewhere around 180 games :)

Most recently released games that I can remember have probably been MKX, GTAV, Life is Strange, and Evolve. Evolve, if I recall correctly, I ran with everything on High except textures which I dropped to medium. Still looks great, and runs just fine.

For GTAV, I copied the settings from this Eurogamer/DF article.

Life is Strange...everything on max I think. No problems there.

I've also played a fair bit of Alien: Isolation recently and there are videos to prove that the Alpha can handle everything on Ultra in that game and run it at 1080p/60fps.

I couldn't get ShadowPlay to work back in December when I tried it. I haven't really bothered with it since.

My most played game has been Ultra Street Fighter IV, and I get close to 200fps in the benchmark.

Thanks!

Currently look at my options and the Alpha is very appealing. Though I do wish they had made it slightly larger to accommodate a discrete card. Not sure how it will do in the long run in it's current state.

I use shadowplay for all my vids, works fine. Any games you want to see ask away, if I have I will do a vid for you.

Hows the performance? Do you have Hardline? Evolve? H1Z1?

I'm very interested in this.

Wondering about newer games though.

The Division, NBA 2k15, Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4, .

I run on a 1680x monitor so I don't run my games at full 1080p.

Hows the performance? Do you have Hardline? Evolve? H1Z1?

I'd like to know about these too.

RM8

I play with everything on High, however at 1360 x 768 (my TVs native resolution). I don't get any FPS drops in any stage. I have the base unit with 8GB RAM.

Thanks! I'm glad it runs fine on the Alpha. I honestly have no issues with 900p, provided I can play it in full screen (the game doesn't scale on my current toaster, I have to play with a massive black frame unless I play at native resolution).

And speaking of issues on my PC, when I exit to Windows, the process will still be running (MK10) and I have to end it via the process manager. Have you encountered a similar issue with MKX on the Alpha?

Methos#1975

not on MKX, but other games yes.

Hardline runs pretty well, I get around 50FPS with most settings set to ultra and AA lowered. That stated, as a couch gamer its near unplayable because you still need a KB for basic functions

Trouble

Banned
If you're not into building PCs, have your local computer store quote you on building one for you with a Mini ITX case. Alternatively, the Alienware X51 is still fair size to use as a "console" (see image: http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2013/11/PS4-Xbox-One-Alienware-X51.jpg)

The Alpha is so damn tiny, though!

GAiw8YB.png

dugdug

Banned
Question for anyone else with an Alpha:

Trying to play MKX with a 360 controller sucks. Is there a way to use the DS4 without going into desktop mode and turning on DSinput (or whatever it's called)?

Like, if I just plug a DS4 in before turning it on, will it work with the Alpha UI and all that? Haven't tried it myself, and, just thought of it.

Hikami

So mine just came in
Already loving how quiet it is.

Is there any quick way to transfer Saves from my Steam games from my old PC to this one? Or am I gonna have to just manually copy everything over from their folders

Just ordered a SSD and a hard drive enclosure to put the hard drive the Alpha came in. Much hyped! After having the Alpha for a few months, I'll post my impressions on the performance difference.

So mine just came in
Already loving how quiet it is.

Is there any quick way to transfer Saves from my Steam games from my old PC to this one? Or am I gonna have to just manually copy everything over from their folders

Try this?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-sync-your-saved-pc-games-between-computers-with-1501078690

jim2011

Any news on Origin support? Buying one for the wife, and she loves her Dragon Age.

It's just running Windows. Origin works fine. If you want to leverage steam big picture with it, you might need to do some work but you can always run it through the desktop.

RM8

I've had my Alpha (i7) for ~4 days now and I'm absolutely in love with it <3 I was gaming on a legit toaster before (all-in-one non-gaming HP PC from 2011) so even though the Alpha is comparatively an entry-level gaming PC, I'm extremely pleased with the performance I'm getting. Even the awfully-ported Mortal Kombat X runs great on it. I think I'm set for a while, especially since I won't mind playing with lower settings in the future. That being said I don't care about its console-like aspect, I bought it as a Windows PC so it's not an issue for me that console mode only works with Steam games.

Impressions with solid state drive with Alpha: GET A SSD EVERYONE!

Alpha runs like butter now and while I initially thought it was the processor being a bottleneck to day-to-day things, it was definitely the hard drive. Bonus is that I took the 2tb hard drive the i7 model comes with got a cheap housing for it so it's now an external hard drive. (I got mine for $15.99 CAD). So I just got a HyperX Fury 120GB SSD so with Windows installed I have 60GB left on that plus two 2TB externals now so I have plenty of space. SSD cost me $59.99 CAD (on sale) so very good bang for your buck upgrade.

My first SSD ever so apologize if I'm over excited, haha.

MercuryLS

Banned
Impressions with solid state drive with Alpha: GET A SSD EVERYONE!

Alpha runs like butter now and while I initially thought it was the processor being a bottleneck to day-to-day things, it was definitely the hard drive. Bonus is that I took the 2tb hard drive the i7 model comes with got a cheap housing for it so it's now an external hard drive. (I got mine for $15.99 CAD). So I just got a HyperX Fury 120GB SSD so with Windows installed I have 60GB left on that plus two 2TB externals now so I have plenty of space. SSD cost me $59.99 CAD (on sale) so very good bang for your buck upgrade.

My first SSD ever so apologize if I'm over excited, haha.

Once you go SSD you don't go back.

Magwik

Banned
I was a bit disappointed at the lack of audio output but I just started to switch my Gold Headset between my Alpa and PS4 and its s much better experience than using two headsets

Once you go SSD you don't go back.

You're not the first person that has told me that :D

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of audio output but I just started to switch my Gold Headset between my Alpa and PS4 and its s much better experience than using two headsets

I was too and the lack of a second HDMI out. Now I have adapters for both so I have my speaker plugged in and a second monitor when my Alpha is at home. Lots of wires tucked behind my desk, lol.

Pooya

the HDD that comes with the alpha is extra terrible Toshiba, It's the same that comes with PS4/3. It's the lowest grade slow unreliable piece of garbage of a HDD, you want to swap it out even if you don't have a SSD. Some WD HDD would perform noticeably better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was swapping the HDD with a SSD easy? What did it entail?

Also, with the lack of audio output, how would someone get audio output that has an older TV that doesn't support audio through HDMI and needs RCA/headphone output?

Was swapping the HDD with a SSD easy? What did it entail?

Also, with the lack of audio output, how would someone get audio output that has an older TV that doesn't support audio through HDMI and needs RCA/headphone output?

Before doing the swap, get a USB stick and install Alien Respawn on it. Then all you do is the swap the drives and turn your computer on and press F12 during startup with the USB stick in and follow the instructions.

Before I got a monitor with HDMI and an audio out, I was using a USB adapter to 3.5mm. Fairly common thing that comes with head sets or you can buy just the adapter.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Before doing the swap, get a USB stick and install Alien Respawn on it. Then all you do is the swap the drives and turn your computer on and press F12 during startup with the USB stick in and follow the instructions.

Before I got a monitor with HDMI and an audio out, I was using a USB adapter to 3.5mm. Fairly common thing that comes with head sets or you can buy just the adapter.
That's cool. When I eventually get one of these I'll remember to get those too. As long as they make it dead simple to reinstall Windows and transfer the license over It'll be great.

I guess that coupon is dead now though. I knew I shouldn't have hesitated.

HF2014

Might bite for a gift, but wondering something. Is the steam UI not removable? I mean can i just have a window 8 like interface if i want to and run it like a normal pc?

Edit: Forgot to ask. Is the ram upgradable? The 499$ model come with 4gb, wondering id i want to pugrade later i can put an extra 4 gb

Might bite for a gift, but wondering something. Is the steam UI not removable? I mean can i just have a window 8 like interface if i want to and run it like a normal pc?

Edit: Forgot to ask. Is the ram upgradable? The 499$ model come with 4gb, wondering id i want to pugrade later i can put an extra 4 gb

If you mean the Alpha UI, yes that is removeable - I uninstalled it almost right away. If you did mean the Steam OS when it's out as a steam machine, I don't have the answer for that.

Ram is upgradeable. Everything about the Alpha is upgradeable except for the GPU.

RM8

I haven't uninstalled Alpha UI because I never see it anyway, I bought mine as a Windows PC. Also, I'd like to upgrade to SSD, but they're so expensive :( Maybe at some point in the future.

Trouble

Banned
I haven't uninstalled Alpha UI because I never see it anyway, I bought mine as a Windows PC. Also, I'd like to upgrade to SSD, but they're so expensive :( Maybe at some point in the future.
Same. I set it to auto-login to the desktop mode account, so theres no point in uninstalling AlphaUI.

Star Citizen and the latest Batman specs knocked the Alpha off my radar.

Need the i5 and the 960 GPU

Love the Alpha form factor though.

Pooya

Star Citizen and the latest Batman specs knocked the Alpha off my radar.

Need the i5 and the 960 GPU

Love the Alpha form factor though.

960 is like 200 bucks right? you should just get a 970, huge difference and it will actually run those games great unlike the 128bit bus gimped 960 for like $100 more, it will last you a long while. Don't "save money" on the GPU, save it elsewhere. 960 is essentially a mobile part, it's a identical to 965m. I bet you can overclock that and almost match 960. It's not cheap enough to recommend, it should have replaced 750ti price point, you just get so much more value with ~$100 more.

--------------------

Tested my i7 4790K in Alpha, it drops all the way to mid 2GHz and temps can easily go well above 80c but it works. I'm not sure I want to pay almost half of I paid for the system for a CPU upgrade which then down clocks that much. Maybe years later when I can find a second hand Haswell for dirt cheap, but by then I will probably just want a better box. I think i3 is sufficient for the box and runs cool enough. The cooling assembly is definitely not enough with those heatsinks. You can definitely gain some FPS though but not really worth the price right now if you want to keep this under a budget. Maybe if there was a way to override the bios and use a larger PSU to actually take advantage of faster CPUs and then spend money on a new copper cooling assembly that can fit in here, yeah nvm. I just don't feel good about a down clocked CPU, even the stock i3 should be able to operate at 3.5GHz. (non T model) I'm just going to stick with the i3 for foreseeable future enough for what I do with this.

chrono01

So I'm interested in getting one of these for the Final Fantasy Heavensward expansion in a few months. For anyone that has it, how does it run A Realm Reborn?

Also, are there any deals currently going on for it [that's also available in Canada]? I see our price is a good deal more expensive than the US [$649.99 for the base model]. I'm sure out dollar isn't helping. :/

Top Bottom