• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

System just got dropped off by Fedex. Going to start updating it and installing the applications and games I want then I'll post my impressions later.

Is the 5400 HDD as limiting as some of the reviews state? Would hate to also have to upgrade to a SSD.

Regarding the wireless controller, perhaps they've fixed it. A few years ago, however, the receiver kept crapping out on people. I ended up just tossing it and going wired for my controller (which would be an option for the Alpha too, I suppose). I was sorta hoping that the Alpha would have a built-in receiver rather than rely on the Microsoft OEM one (which also takes a valuable USB port).

The hard drive is "slow" but that depends on where you're coming from. If you're used to non-gaming built computer rigs, it's fine. If you're used to having a SSD, then of course it's slow. Faster hard drive for gaming will only really effect the start up time for the computer and the load times of games but nothing I've played has overwhelmingly long load times.

I have the 2tb only because it's one comes with the i7 model. If I had the option, I probably would have left the smallest hard drive in there and replaced it with a SSD eventually because I do photo/video editing. When I do buy a SSD I'll be able to take that 2TB and put it in a housing and make it another portable hard drive, so at least there's that.

Is it possible to capture footage from the HDMI input into the Alpha?

I've looked into this and so far found no way for it to be possible.

Could you build a more powerful pc with the same budget? I may get into pc gaming but exploring my options right now.

Not in the same form factor and not if you are considering the cost of a legit version of Windows. One thing to keep in mind, the biggest drawback of the case is that because of it's size it has a limited amount of USB ports, it only takes HDMI, and does not have 3.5mm audio in (so you can get a USB adapter but that takes up one of the USB slots). You can always buy a USB HUB or if your monitor does not take HDMI, there are adapters you can purchase (but factor those costs in what you're deciding if you want this as a PC or not).

Gren

Very pleased with this thing so far. Ordered 4GB of DDR3L memory to bring up to a solid 8. Gonna hold off on an SSD until holiday season, if anything. All I literally do with this thing is play games, so the quicker OS boot/load times aren't worth the price premium to me.

As I understand it, the only way to turn off the console's LED lights is to use the dedicated software, correct? Would anyone know if, after uninstalling said software, will the lights default back on, or remain in their last configured state? I already uninstalled the software, but would reinstall if it meant I could permanently disable that eyesore.

I underestimated exactly how bad the hard drive was in this thing. Gaming performance has been great, but the general desktop performance was a horrible experience. It took forever to load and stuttered like crazy. I ended up installing my SSD and now this thing is performing as fast as my full tower did. So if you can afford an SSD I'd highly recommend one.

I'll probably do a write-up of my impressions after a few days of use if anybody cares. I've spent most of today updating Windows/Drivers and now I'm starting over after deciding to do a fresh-install on the SSD instead of a recovery.

I underestimated exactly how bad the hard drive was in this thing. Gaming performance has been great, but the general desktop performance was a horrible experience. It took forever to load and stuttered like crazy. I ended up installing my SSD and now this thing is performing as fast as my full tower did. So if you can afford an SSD I'd highly recommend one.

I'll probably do a write-up of my impressions after a few days of use if anybody cares. I've spent most of today updating Windows/Drivers and now I'm starting over after deciding to do a fresh-install on the SSD instead of a recovery.

I'd love to know more about the process of swapping out the HDD for an SSD. How did you reinstall the Alpha UI?

I'd love to know more about the process of swapping out the HDD for an SSD. How did you reinstall the Alpha UI?
If you reinstall from a backup using Alien Respawn it'll come installed. If you are doing a fresh Windows 8 install you can get the software off of Dell's website.

For the ones who bought one recently with the dell deal. How long did delivery take from the date you ordered?
I ordered on Friday and it arrived on Tuesday. Very fast shipping since I chose the normal 3-5 days.

Trouble

Banned
Mine's out for delivery. A day early, yay!

Edit: Dang it, they require a signature, so they didn't leave the package. :(

This should run emulators with all the nice filters too, right? Seems like it should. That and maybe big picture gaming with GOG if Galaxy adds that is really tempting me.

Gren

Might want to check on your emu of choice. Final Burn Alpha and Nebula both run very slow in full-screen, but okay when windowed. Looks like it may have something to do with Windows 8.

There may be ways around it, but I just leave mine in windows. Thank god for free vsync via Aero.

For the ones who bought one recently with the dell deal. How long did delivery take from the date you ordered?

I ordered the Saturday before Easter and got it Wednesday of the next week with the free shipping option,

I also can't recommend an SSD enough. Grabbed one of the Samsun 850EVOs on a Newegg deal and haven't looked back.

DemiMatt

I saw this on SD and I'm really tempted to jump in. Curious what you guys think of this vs building my own? The build I was recommended is is great, but I'm curious if this will quench my PC gaming needs for a living room PC. Granted the build is double the cost, just curious what people in this thread think. Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.89 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($96.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tr-X OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

I saw this on SD and I'm really tempted to jump in. Curious what you guys think of this vs building my own? The build I was recommended is is great, but I'm curious if this will quench my PC gaming needs for a living room PC. Granted the build is double the cost, just curious what people in this thread think. Thank you!

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)

Looks good to me, but I would suggest hitting up the Custom PC build thread

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Got my i3 yesterday. I've only tried Amalur so far, but it runs great maxed out. I'm going to install more games this weekend. Happy with my purchase so far and will be upgrading the ram and hard drive soon. Load times really aren't an issue for me, but I would like more space.

The only issues I had were the controller being detected as a mouse in game and being kicked out to Steam big picture mode while trying to change Amalur's resolution. I just turned off the mouse thing and the resolution issue worked itself out.

Magwik

Banned
Just got an order in for mine
What RAM are you guys buying to upgrade to 8GB?
Also my current PC has 2 Hard Drives on it, what's the best way of moving everything over to the Alpha? I was going to make a recovery partition and move my pictures/videos to my 1TB HDD, is that a sound choice?

It entirely depends on what you plan on playing and what kind of performance you're looking for. That's a very nice build you have there, but factoring in the cost of Windows 8 I estimated it to cost $970 which is significantly more expensive than this machine.

This PC is really for somebody who doesn't require games to be at consistently at max settings in 1080p/60fps and is just looking for a great gaming machine for a good price. The Alpha is an amazing value at $400 (Or less with Dell Advantage/Student Discount) and depending on the game you'll either max it out or play around Medium/High/Very High in 1080p with usually 30fps. The downsides (In my opinion) of the Alpha include the fact that you are limited to upgrading only the CPU/RAM/HDD and that it doesn't have an audio jack so you'll either need a USB>Audio converter or in my case I connected my speakers to my Monitor instead of the PC.

The PC you listed should easily be able to max most games in 1080p/60fps and you'll have more room for upgrades should you choose to in the future. The benefit with that in mind is in 3-4 years (Or sooner) you could say "Hey I like PC gaming maybe I'll get more parts" and you'll easily be able to upgrade what you want, but with the Alpha in 3-4 years if you want a significant upgrade you'll need to buy a new system or completely build a PC yourself.

Those are some things to consider, but really it comes down to the simple question of if you want to max out games or if you will be okay cranking down the settings and still getting a satisfactory experience. I owned a huge gaming tower before buying the Alpha and have since sold off the parts for it. In my case I just never did enough "heavy" gaming to justify having all that power and I'm very happy with the Alpha's performance in a MUCH quieter and smaller package.

@StaticJam This is the RAM I bought from Amazon. I installed it today and have had no issues with it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQCOTCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I read that you can hit the bumpers and triggers and use the left stick as a mouse pointer -- is that only a Steam Big Picture thing or also the Windows desktop?

It also works on the desktop.

That's super -- hopefully with that and the OSK I won't need a wireless KB+M. I'm willing to do it if I have to, but would prefer not to.

Think I'll get one and eventually an extra brick (looks like a standard one that Dell sells separately) and HDMI cable so I can swap it easily from one TV to the other depending on which isn't in use. In a few years when I go to upgrade I'll put an ipac on it and toss it in a cabinet.

Edit: Is using the controller as a mouse built-in to Windows 8 or is it additional software? Wired work as well as wireless? Trying wired on my Windows 8 laptop and it doesn't seem to work, but I may be missing something.

Stupid Question,

If I want to install an SSD on my alpha how do i transfer windows and the alpha steam UI ? My alpha came with no windows CD or Steam UI CD.

That's super -- hopefully with that and the OSK I won't need a wireless KB+M. I'm willing to do it if I have to, but would prefer not to.

Think I'll get one and eventually an extra brick (looks like a standard one that Dell sells separately) and HDMI cable so I can swap it easily from one TV to the other depending on which isn't in use. In a few years when I go to upgrade I'll put an ipac on it and toss it in a cabinet.

Edit: Is using the controller as a mouse built-in to Windows 8 or is it additional software? Wired work as well as wireless? Trying wired on my Windows 8 laptop and it doesn't seem to work, but I may be missing something.
I don't believe it is built in to Windows 8. I think it's either built in to their system or when you install Alien UI it contains the software that enables it.

Stupid Question,

If I want to install an SSD on my alpha how do i transfer windows and the alpha steam UI ? My alpha came with no windows CD or Steam UI CD.
If you're doing a fresh install of Windows first go to Microsoft's site and create a USB recovery drive. Then when you're booting up the system for the first time make sure the USB that the recovery files are on is inserted and it'll have you start the process of installing windows. When you first load the system up it'll have no drivers installed so you'll need a wired internet connection to proceed. Next you'd want to go to Dell's website and install all of the drivers in the menu's. They'll say "This will automatically install upon restart once downloaded", but don't listen to that and just click the files and install them as they download because the auto-install never worked for me.Once you get a proper internet connection the Windows Product Key should automatically register as it did for me since I believe it is tied to the hardware and then you'll want to finish by doing all the Windows 8.1 updates.

The Alienware UI is available as a download on the same page as the drivers alongside the Alienware Command Center which I'd also recommend installing.

Here's the Windows Recovery Link.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Alienware Alpha drivers page.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-alpha/drivers

Here's a guide I followed to do the process.
http://latam.alienwarearena.com/for...ware-alpha-fresh-windows-install-to-ssd-guide

DemiMatt

It entirely depends on what you plan on playing and what kind of performance you're looking for. That's a very nice build you have there, but factoring in the cost of Windows 8 I estimated it to cost $970 which is significantly more expensive than this machine.

This PC is really for somebody who doesn't require games to be at consistently at max settings in 1080p/60fps and is just looking for a great gaming machine for a good price. The Alpha is an amazing value at $400 (Or less with Dell Advantage/Student Discount) and depending on the game you'll either max it out or play around Medium/High/Very High in 1080p with usually 30fps. The downsides (In my opinion) of the Alpha include the fact that you are limited to upgrading only the CPU/RAM/HDD and that it doesn't have an audio jack so you'll either need a USB>Audio converter or in my case I connected my speakers to my Monitor instead of the PC.

The PC you listed should easily be able to max most games in 1080p/60fps and you'll have more room for upgrades should you choose to in the future. The benefit with that in mind is in 3-4 years (Or sooner) you could say "Hey I like PC gaming maybe I'll get more parts" and you'll easily be able to upgrade what you want, but with the Alpha in 3-4 years if you want a significant upgrade you'll need to buy a new system or completely build a PC yourself.

Those are some things to consider, but really it comes down to the simple question of if you want to max out games or if you will be okay cranking down the settings and still getting a satisfactory experience. I owned a huge gaming tower before buying the Alpha and have since sold off the parts for it. In my case I just never did enough "heavy" gaming to justify having all that power and I'm very happy with the Alpha's performance in a MUCH quieter and smaller package.

@StaticJam This is the RAM I bought from Amazon. I installed it today and have had no issues with it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQCOTCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thank you for the in depth breakdown. I built a monster rig in 2009 which I still use for some games, but at the end of the day I really just want to enjoy my PC games in my living room set up. So having a PC that can output a beautiful picture and benefit from my sound system is definitely the genesis for me wanting a new set up.

Would something pre built with the specs I listed be crazy exspensive? Is there anything else out?

Hikami

Just ordered one of these since I was badly in need of a PC upgrade, really liked the small form factor and all that too.

Something I haven't been able to find though; how noisy is this thing?

Trouble

Banned
I got mine today. Just finished setting it up and downloading some games.

I knew it came with some games, what I didn't realize until today is that I already owned every single one. :p

Gren

Just ordered one of these since I was badly in need of a PC upgrade, really liked the small form factor and all that too.

Something I haven't been able to find though; how noisy is this thing?

It's been whisper-quiet while playing games.

Also, I *love* that Steam just lets you copy the SteamApps folder in order to backup/transfer your installed library. I always read about it, but never had a reason to actually test it out. Sooo much time saved.

Here's a post from the gta performance thread:

Runs pretty well on the Alienware Alpha i3, busting the VRAM limit with everything in very high and MSAA off and still maintaining around 35fps downsampling from 1440p. At 1080p I hover around 50 with drops to 45.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Man, GTA 5 absolutely chugs on my i3 Alienware Alpha machine, even with all settings turned to low. Any idea why my performance would be so different to his or what else I could do? I've tried assigning the process to high priority in task manager but it did not help.

Methos#1975

Man, GTA 5 absolutely chugs on my i3 Alienware Alpha machine, even with all settings turned to low. Any idea why my performance would be so different to his or what else I could do? I've tried assigning the process to high priority in task manager but it did not help.

What is your RAM like? Mine is upgraded to 12GBs, I also overclocked the GPU and have the games running from an external 7200 HDD.

What is your RAM like? Mine is upgraded to 12GBs, I also overclocked the GPU and have the games running from an external 7200 HDD.

Yeah I figured you must have done some upgrades. I just got the box and haven't done any myself but was planning at least a ram upgrade. I've never done overclocking so I'll have to look in to that.

Thanks for replying back!

edit: would love to see that video, thanks

Methos#1975

Haha, I never done overclocking either lol. I just used other people's settings and over the course of a few weeks adjusted it game by game till temps were decent and games were playing smooth. Its been set now on its current settings since Feb, no issues, so I guess I didn't do too badly.

Methos#1975

Here is a vid. I started off in the country side since that is for me the most demanding areas since I have my grass on Very High, FPS hovers at 30FPS and is still very playable. In the City it goes to between 40-50FPS, I also set the resolution to 1440p and let it downsample, at still get around 28FPS. Biggest issue for me is grass,and if I went to high or med, 60FPS probably be no issue at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddElXlVDmd0

So it comes with two memory slots but only one occupied with a 4gb? I'm thinking of going with an additional 8gb for the other slot. Someone linked http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQCOTCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 earlier and that was deemed OK. Best Buy has http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-8gb-1-6ghz-ddr3-sodimm-laptop-memory-multi/5036585.p for about the same price. Will either work? Any preference? Still torn on what to do with the HDD situation -- I'll cross that bridge later I think.

Edit: Any issues with mixing the new 8gb memory module with the existing 4gb?

Hikami

So it comes with two memory slots but only one occupied with a 4gb? I'm thinking of going with an additional 8gb for the other slot. Someone linked http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQCOTCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 earlier and that was deemed OK. Best Buy has http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-8gb-1-6ghz-ddr3-sodimm-laptop-memory-multi/5036585.p for about the same price. Will either work? Any preference? Still torn on what to do with the HDD situation -- I'll cross that bridge later I think.

Edit: Any issues with mixing the new 8gb memory module with the existing 4gb?

I've seen someone in a video using the ram from the second link, the one from best buy. Though it says in the description it only works with i5 & i7 so not sure if it would work with the i3 alpha. I bought the ram from the first link because of that, using the i3 alpha here.

Successfully installed a 500 gig SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO, I also installed 16 gigs of RAM. Even though its not officially supported its running perfectly fine.

Now I'm considering just finishing the job and installing an i7.

Everything's going great from a comfy couch pc gamer :)

Magwik

Banned
Waiting for my image refresh to finish
Got my 1TB HDD in and upgraded to 8gb RAM
Now I just need to start moving shit from my old PC over
Also I never put much thought into what I'm doing with my old tower. Probably should have

Someone must be aggressive because they're setting up Alpha demo stations next to PS4s and Xboxes in retail stores around here... I was shocked to see a stand in the wild, and laughed. Hope they make a killing and introduce Steam to a whole new audience.

Crayon

Someone must be aggressive because they're setting up Alpha demo stations next to PS4s and Xboxes in retail stores around here... I was shocked to see a stand in the wild, and laughed. Hope they make a killing and introduce Steam to a whole new audience.

Wow. That's where they belong, really. Right next to the consoles on a demo kiosk. Exciting. I'm really looking at this as more of an enthusiast's console than a PC.

I have questions. How are windows updates handled? Do they just happen in the background or do have to say yes to a prompt when it happens? And do you have to run antivirus?

Gren

Sent away for the complimentary backup media using my service tag (found on the shipping box or in your Alienware Autopsy app).

They mailed it out very quickly, and to my surprise, they sent it to me on an 8GB flash drive. I had read that others received discs, despite the Alpha not having an optical drive, so this was nice.

Just a heads up those that want a quick, easy, and free backup option....or a free flash drive.

Asus and a handful of other companies are going to keep making awesome small living room PC's, with or without Steam OS. I think there is a great future ahead for pre-built living room PC's.

It really is!

only for single player tho. PC multi = cheaters plague and its annoying. even in recent MK like half dudes in multi uses 1key 35%+ combo scripts and it gonna be worse. it annoys my high end PCand thats reason i play multi on my ps4

Trouble

Banned
Anyone figure out a remote desktop solution with their Alpha? Since it's Windows 8 basic it doesn't support RDP without paying for an upgrade. Splashtop works in desktop mode, but errors when in the Alpha UI.

Big ol' edit: Enabling RDP via this nifty RDP wrapper works quite well.

RM8

Is anyone with an Alpha playing Mortal Kombat X? I'm getting mine next week and I'd like to know if I'll be able to play it :x I ask because people with pretty good PCs are getting all kinds of ridiculous issues, it's not a very good port.

Got my alpha in and set up, though I still have to do the swap over to the SSD. A quick couple questions, however:

When I shut down the Alpha the controller keeps blinking and wasting batteries. I don't know how long it does this for, but at least 3 minutes have passed and it keeps blinking. Is this normal?

Along those same lines, does the controller really not turn on the system (like the 360, by holding the guide button)? If not, that's pretty lame. Is the only way by getting up and pressing the Alienware button?

Also didn't see a way to go to the desktop from the Alienware UI if I didn't have a mouse hooked up, even when I was using the controller as a mouse. Is that normal?

Top Bottom