• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

i would just get the i3 model and upgrade the Ram. I did that and I use it for everything. I use it to game on, homework, itunes, etc. I was able to pick mine up at Fry's Electronics for $448 b/f taxes. These are really neat computers/consoles.

Would an internal 128GB SSD with an external drive for storage be worth the effort? I'd imagine an SSHD is probably the way to go, but I have a spare SSD.

The Alienware Alpha is far more impressive than it gets credit for. Some people do direct A/B comparisons to the Xbox One and PS4, and get put off by the prIce. ThIs is an unfair comparison, because the Alpha is smaller, more powerful, and a fully functional Windows 8.1 PC.

I've upgraded my Alpha with 16GBs of Corsair vengeance Ram and a Samsung Evo SSD, and it runs wonderfully. I have the i7 model, so it came with a slow Samsung 5400 rpm 2TB drive. I've since put that drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure and converted it into an external drive, and do you know what? It runs faster as an external drive.

In addition to this, I've run the system at 4K, and it works great for everything except gaming, of course. However, I do use MSI Afterburner to overclock the GPU +135 Mhz and the memory +550 Mhz and have gotten some great results. It handles everything I've thrOwn at it with better than "next gen" graphics and framerates. It's a great, tiny PC.

kodecraft

The Alienware Alpha is far more impressive than it gets credit for. Some people do direct A/B comparisons to the Xbox One and PS4, and get put off by the prIce. ThIs is an unfair comparison, because the Alpha is smaller, more powerful, and a fully functional Windows 8.1 PC.

I've upgraded my Alpha with 16GBs of Corsair vengeance Ram and a Samsung Evo SSD, and it runs wonderfully. I have the i7 model, so it came with a slow Samsung 5400 rpm 2TB drive. I've since put that drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure and converted it into an external drive, and do you know what? It runs faster as an external drive.

In addition to this, I've run the system at 4K, and it works great for everything except gaming, of course. However, I do use MSI Afterburner to overclock the GPU +135 Mhz and the memory +550 Mhz and have gotten some great results. It handles everything I've thrOwn at it with better than "next gen" graphics and framerates. It's a great, tiny PC.

That's good to know. More Steam Machines on the way this year though.

i agree with you. this is a very good console/cpu. i actually have it hooked up my computer monitor and use it as a desktop also. i use it for everything including some games. i have played COD AW, Alien Iso, Titan Fall, and a few others. For the money it is a great machine.

Pulling the trigger on an i7, upgraded ram, and SSD in a couple weeks. Can't wait!

Edit: hrm there are other boxes on the way? How soon will they be in the wild?

RM8

Is the difference between i3 and i5 worth the extra money? I honestly just want this to play Street Fighter V perfectly... I'd imagine a 2D fighter wouldn't be too hard on the Alpha, but I guess it's impossible to know :(

Even if more Steamboxes will release soon, I like that this one is a Windows PC. It's exactly what I want.

kodecraft

It's the difference between i3 and i5 worth the extra money? I honestly just want this to play Street Fighter V perfectly... I'd imagine a 2D fighter wouldn't be too hard on the Alpha, but I guess it's impossible to know :(

Even if more Steamboxes will release soon, I like that this one is a Windows PC. It's exactly what I want.

The other Steam Machines should be Windows PC too, sounds like you just want something right now even though Street Fighter V isn't a 'right now' game to play.

RM8

The other Steam Machines should be Windows PC too, sounds like you just want something right now even though Street Fighter V isn't a 'right now' game to play.
I need a tiny PC before September. Would I be better waiting some more? The thing is, I have the chance of buying an Alpha in Japan next month, while it's not even available here in Mexico and I doubt many future Steam machines will either :/

Pulling the trigger on an i7, upgraded ram, and SSD in a couple weeks. Can't wait!

I need a tiny PC before September. Would I be better waiting some more? The thing is, I have the chance of buying an Alpha in Japan next month, while it's not even available here in Mexico and I doubt many future Steam machines will either :/

Next week there should be some announcements.

RM8

...so, would you guys who own one say it's still a good idea to buy an Alpha given recent announcements? Will I be covered for at least 2 years if I buy an i5 and I don't mind lower settings in games? Especially if I'm not really into super graphics-intensive games?

sturmdogg

Is it possible to install Adobe Cloud programs and other apps on this thing? Or is it locked to the steam thing? I'm planning on getting one and using it as a work / gaming rig.

Is it possible to install Adobe Cloud programs and other apps on this thing? Or is it locked to the steam thing? I'm planning on getting one and using it as a work / gaming rig.

I use it as a work/gaming rig as well. I have a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter to hook up a second monitor to it too for editing.

So yes, it's just a small form factor PC really so you can install anything you could on Windows.

...so, would you guys who own one say it's still a good idea to buy an Alpha given recent announcements? Will I be covered for at least 2 years if I buy an i5 and I don't mind lower settings in games? Especially if I'm not really into super graphics-intensive games?

I'd say, with the specs, you're good for 3 years at least. I'm thinking of it as having the same lifespan as a laptop. Good chance it'll last longer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate that the Steam Machines are coming in the fall. I wanted a gaming PC by the summer and was hoping to be able to compare them to the Alpha and make a decision.

I hate that the Steam Machines are coming in the fall. I wanted a gaming PC by the summer and was hoping to be able to compare them to the Alpha and make a decision.

Personally, I'm not too concerned with Steam Machines. I like having Windows (and the free upgrade to Windows 10 coming). The only real difference between the Alpha and a Steam Machine is Steam OS - which I'll probably try dual-booting someday just to check it out.

I was happy with the specs of the Alpha as a computer, so I bought it. Will something better come out? Yes, something better always comes out. That's why people always joke that the best time to buy a computer is six months from now. If you want a PC this summer, buy the PC with the specs you are looking for this summer. If you can wait, all the power to you, wait. Pretty much - you'll probably be happy with whatever decision you go with.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want to know that this will run Cities: Skylines well.

Now, clarify something. This thing doesn't have a normal headphone jack, does it? Isnt audio out HDMI and Optical only? I don't have a TV that has HDMI audio support nor optical so is there an option for changing the audio into RCA? Like an adapter or something? I'd obviously want to make sure to buy one at the same time I got the machine. When I buy it. If I buy it.

I just want to know that this will run Cities: Skylines well.

Now, clarify something. This thing doesn't have a normal headphone jack, does it? Isnt audio out HDMI and Optical only? I don't have a TV that has HDMI audio support nor optical so is there an option for changing the audio into RCA? Like an adapter or something? I'd obviously want to make sure to buy one at the same time I got the machine. When I buy it. If I buy it.

Actually just picked up Cities Skylines, so I'll let you know how it runs.

Your best option for audio (besides getting a different TV) is a USB adapter you can plug in a 3.5mm jack into or you can get a USB headset. My Tritton headset came with a USB adapter so I used that for my speakers for awhile until I got a monitor that had its own 3.5mm out jack.

IzzyF3

I took a quick peek at the Alpha Steam Machine. Is there no difference between the Steam Machine and the Windows version available now, hardware-wise? I might as well get an Alpha now.

RM8

I took a quick peek at the Alpha Steam Machine. Is there no difference between the Steam Machine and the Windows version available now, hardware-wise? I might as well get an Alpha now.
No difference, apparently. Plus the Alpha has Windows, I actually would have no use for the Windows-less version.

Edit:

The Steam Machine version does not disclose which GPU it uses, which leads me to believe that by the time it's available to purchase, it will have a newer GPU in it... that's just my guess.
Ah, I see.

The Steam Machine version does not disclose which GPU it uses, which leads me to believe that by the time it's available to purchase, it will have a newer GPU in it... that's just my guess.

IzzyF3

Ahh I see. With the announcement of Windows 10 being free, I may still want the Windows Alpha instead, assuming the the GPU jump wouldn't be that drastic.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, even after seeing all the Steam Machines, I'm still leaning towards the Alpha.

Has anyone tried playing Cities: Skylines on this? I play it on my Retina MacBook Pro with dGPU and it runs great. Even though it's a 750M.

I've ordered an Alpha i5 and it should arrive tomorrow if the tracking information is any good. I'm a console gamer mainly and could only afford about £500. I kept hearing from people how overpriced Alienware is but I looked at building a PC for the same price and it was barely worth the effort. I only really play World of Warcraft and League of Legends on PC but my current computer is 6 years old and runs like crap. I hope the Alienware runs these games really well and let's me play some modern indie games and other things I can't get on my Xbox One (Street Fighter V?).

It is a good computer for someone like me, who has only really experienced pc gaming on a shitty laptop. The only problems I have with it, are the alienware UI, which is just terrible, and the hard drive, which I am going to replace, then I will uninstall the alienware UI.
I will also be looking into a new controller, hopefully the steam one that is coming out, because I have got used to PS4 and X1 controllers, the 360 feels like a step back.
Games wise, you are not going to get massive frame rates on new titles, but you can see the difference compared to PS4 and X1 titles. I was happy with how resident evil remaster and ground zeroes looked and played.
Having purchased this, I would be more open to buying a more powerful PC, and gaming on that, instead of getting a console.

Well, doesn't the current Alpha just say custom GPU? I'm pretty sure I only knew what it was from reading reviews.

Has anyone tried playing Cities: Skylines on this? I play it on my Retina MacBook Pro with dGPU and it runs great. Even though it's a 750M.

Yeah I tried it yesterday. Works great.

Ahh I see. With the announcement of Windows 10 being free, I may still want the Windows Alpha instead, assuming the the GPU jump wouldn't be that drastic.

Yeah free Windows 10 makes me like what I have, heh. And like I've mentioned before - could always dual-boot to try out SteamOS.

I've ordered an Alpha i5 and it should arrive tomorrow if the tracking information is any good. I'm a console gamer mainly and could only afford about £500. I kept hearing from people how overpriced Alienware is but I looked at building a PC for the same price and it was barely worth the effort. I only really play World of Warcraft and League of Legends on PC but my current computer is 6 years old and runs like crap. I hope the Alienware runs these games really well and let's me play some modern indie games and other things I can't get on my Xbox One (Street Fighter V?).

I mostly play LoL. With my i7 - while streaming (with webcam), listening to spotify, and running LoL on max it's mostly over 120fps. It "dips" to 60 fps during team fights but like, obviously never notice that unless I look at the numbers but realistically... There's no time to look up at the number, lol. Staying over 60fps is just key but again I also run a lot of things in the background - if you don't do that you're still good.

I doubt they are upgrading the GPU, but will instead use the same exact hardware from the Windows release, with a software change.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I doubt they are upgrading the GPU, but will instead use the same exact hardware from the Windows release, with a software change.

I think you're right. But the time to buy an Alpha seems to be right now as I've seen the base model as low as $450. Especially if they yank Windows in November.

Stasis

I still build and upgrade a high end gaming rig on a regular schedule, but I could really see myself getting one of these down the line. Maybe in a few years. I have less and less time for gaming in general and with family life taking over as I get older, something like this (especially one that allows for swappable GPUs or at least stronger options) becomes tempting. Much as I hate to admit that I'd ever buy a premade PC! At the very least it'd make for a nice secondary rig for living room gaming and entertainment as a family system.

I still build and upgrade a high end gaming rig on a regular schedule, but I could really see myself getting one of these down the line. Maybe in a few years. I have less and less time for gaming in general and with family life taking over as I get older, something like this (especially one that allows for swappable GPUs or at least stronger options) becomes tempting. Much as I hate to admit that I'd ever buy a premade PC! At the very least it'd make for a nice secondary rig for living room gaming and entertainment as a family system.

Yeah man, I've been building my own PCs my whole life. Before buying the Alpha, my plan was to build a new mini-ITX PC part by part (my last PC being built 3 years ago). But the Alpha is just priced so well... I didn't need to. The processor is slightly under-powered than what I was originally going to do but my plan was to build a computer around a 750TI-ish graphics card anyway so this worked out.

I pretty much build a new PC every 3 years-ish so I can see the Alpha lasting 3 years and then I'll start considering my options for building a new one by then.

It arrived yesterday but I've not had much time to play it properly as most of my time was spend installing things! I did manage to do a few missions in WOW and laughed as I was getting 50-60 FPS on Ultra settings with a decent AA option. It dipped closer to 40 as things got hectic but I barely noticed. It looks like a different game than on my old PC where I had everything on low.

I also spectated a game of League just to mess with the settings. I don't know what the frame rate was but with everything on it looked and moved like a dream.

I have some money to spend on games and want something "modern" to test. I've seen a few videos of the i3 running Shadows of Mordor performing as well as the Xbox One / PS4 version on decent settings. I know I won't be able to get the highest settings on games like that but if I can get something to 30fps looking like the console version (If not a little better?) I'll be super happy.

I tried shadow of mordor, it was hovering around the 30 fps mark, with dips when the explosions on the test screen happened.

Meh. That hurts.

I've been so on the fence between either grabbing one of these or doubling my investment to either build a desktop or buying a gaming laptop. Hearing that SoM stutters on this thing does not imbue me with confidence in the long-term viability of this box.

Has anyone else noticed with the alienware UI, it will load in the wrong aspect ratio? For instance it will either load in a small portion of the screen, or zoomed completely in. It only does this on the AW UI, when steam or the desktop mode is on, its fine.

belmonkey

Is it just deals or is the price of the Alpha generally dropping everywhere? It's $450 on Newegg at the moment; doesn't sound too bad for a console / home PC.

I tried shadow of mordor, it was hovering around the 30 fps mark, with dips when the explosions on the test screen happened.

The test screen actually does more than ever actually happens in game by the way (with the exception of the very, very beginning of the game for some reason). But with everything on high, I average at 60fps dipping to the 40s in that test screen so I stay pretty up at the 60fps throughout the game I imagine. Even if it does dip, it's unnoticeable since it's not a FPS/RTS/MOBA.

Also the AlphaUI sucks, I uninstalled it, lol. Can't see it getting much support when SteamOS is out anyway.

Methos#1975

I bought the i3 model a few months back and simply upgraded the RAM and overclocked it, and really, its so far been the best gaming purchase of my life. Granted, I was console gamer only prior and I know more cutting edge PC stuff blows it away, but it has fulfilled my purpose which wax simply a way to play multiplats at above 30 FPS. I haven't played Shadows of Mordor on it yet, but I have Dying Light and I can play it at its highest settings but with AO off and maintain 60FPS no issue, so I imagine SOM runs good on it as well. It can also play many games at internal resolutions over 1080p and down sample with little stress, I am playing DMC, Sleeping Dogs, and Ori and the Blind Forest at 2160p down-sampled to 1080p at above 60fps no issues.

It can also play many games at internal resolutions over 1080p and down sample with little stress, I am playing DMC, Sleeping Dogs, and Ori and the Blind Forest at 2160p down-sampled to 1080p at above 60fps no issues.

I've been meaning to play with downsampling. Is it easy?

Methos#1975

Very easy,just follow the guide posted here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

A few games will down-sample down from 3840 x 2160 and maintain 60fps, off the top of my head I know SFIV does no issue. On the other hand, there are some older games that will not run at 60fps at higher than 1080p on the Alpha no matter what like Mirror's Edge. Truth be told, older games give me more issues than a lot of the newer stuff

Very easy,just follow the guide posted here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

A few games will down-sample down from 3840 x 2160 and maintain 60fps, off the top of my head I know SFIV does no issue. On the other hand, there are some older games that will not run at 60fps at higher than 1080p on the Alpha no matter what like Mirror's Edge. Truth be told, older games give me more issues than a lot of the newer stuff

Thanks!

gfxtwin

I have the i7 and it's a great console. Love the power and convenience. Runs just about everything on max settings. I just hope it is able to run the upcoming graphical heavy hitters like The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and Star Citizen at super high settings.

Fezan

I love every thing about alpha but seriously disappointed in gpu. Have they released it with 970m it would have just cost 100 more but with almost double gpu power which can play everything in high at 1080p

Crayon

After gdc i have to respect alienware for dominating in price/size/performance in a box thats already out. The other steam machines should have not even showed.

Top Bottom