• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

shandy706

First impression getting into the OP.

Requirements supposed to be 1080p/60.....lists settings and games not hitting 60fps..uhhh

yeh id rather it just come built in

I'll lob as much as 800-900$ on a steam machine with the right look and equipment. just waiting for the right one.

I would then have my super high powered console sized PC for multi-plat gaming and my PS4 for all the exclusives.

I agree. I'd be all over the X51 of they would just update it. I think Dell is really dropping the ball by not releasing one with a 970

Just ran the benchmark test on my i5 model, got these results on the test that is video and gameplay.

UKdSQqt.jpg

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yeah but its pretty much a mid-range PC for todays games, if even that high. I would want something that will have atleast 3GB-4GB of VRAM, a pretty stout CPU, and atleast 8GB system memory.

I'll wait for something more along those lines to come out.

My X1 came with a 4770k, I would consider that a pretty stout CPU. It also has 8 GB of system memory and 2 GB of video memory with the 760 ti. Although it can support a GTX 970/980.

How much was the carry case? Its still not showing for sale on the UK shop.

It was $50, but I had a $25 gift card they sent me for no apparent reason. Ended up being $28 with tax and free overnight shipping.

at $30, I think it is a great value. At $60, I think people should really think about it before ordering one.

Yeah I'm kind of tempted by that carrying case considering the amount of times I bring my Alpha around places... My backpack is doing the job though while also holding my keyboard. Thanks for the pics!

To upgrade memory, does it take normal desktop-class or laptop sized?

Does it have space to add an SSD in addition to the existing mechanical drive supplied or does it need to be replaced?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

To upgrade memory, does it take normal desktop-class or laptop sized?

Does it have space to add an SSD in addition to the existing mechanical drive supplied or does it need to be replaced?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

SO-DIMM slots for the RAM, so, laptop ram.

There is not an additional space for you to put in the SSD, so it would replace the existing 2.5" drive there. Most people I hear are using Hybrid SSD because of this.

Finally got around to playing Borderlands 2 on my Alpha. I am blown away by how nice it looks, and how smoothly it runs. Is there a last gen game that you really like how it scales up to 1080p 60fps?

Yes, you should obivously go for the i5 unless you are into heavy video editing.

Thanks. Another question...if I upgrade from 8GB to 16GB am I throwing away two 4GB DIMM's and buying two 8GB sticks or am I simply buying an 8GB stick? I am not sure how modern ram is configured anymore since it's been a while since I've upgraded a computer.

Thanks. Another question...if I upgrade from 8GB to 16GB am I throwing away two 4GB DIMM's and buying two 8GB sticks or am I simply buying an 8GB stick? I am not sure how modern ram is configured anymore since it's been a while since I've upgraded a computer.

Yeah they put in two 4gb sticks so if you want to go to 16gb you'll need to grab two 8gb sticks.

what about longevity? would getting an i7 now let me keep the system in use for a longer time? perhaps games that will need it or new video codecs to support?
or maybe i'm just crazy

The GPU is more of a bottleneck to longevity than the i5 versus i7. For gaming, sticking with the i5 will be fine through the entire life of the thing. Worse comes to worse, you could upgrade the CPU later.

Somnia

My biggest fear and the reason I haven't picked this up yet is the GPU, I'm hoping they announce newer models soon with better GPU's in them.

RM8

Guys, I'd probably buy mine by March. Do you think it's likely that it'll become cheaper during this year? Because I'd need it the most by July, I think. I realize it'd still be pretty new! But people keep talking about the release of the Steam machines, or this getting a new model eventually, so I'd rather be sure.

Guys, I'd probably buy mine by March. Do you think it's likely that it'll become cheaper during this year? Because I'd need it the most by July, I think. I realize it'd still be pretty new! But people keep talking about the release of the Steam machines, or this getting a new model eventually, so I'd rather be sure.

There's ALWAYS going to be something newer in technology (see phones as the biggest example). You'll like this thing if you get it in March, just don't be surprised if 6 months after that there's a new one. You have to not worry about that kind of stuff, or you'll never have anything, heh.

Pretty sure Alienware just dropped the base model price to $499. I imagine we will see a few more promotions and sales as we roll into Spring.

thenexus6

I'd wait the R2 must be out sometime this year

With the official steam box unveiling coming at GDC I have a feeling they will.

Nope, dell runs the backend of the company, and they stick to their roadmaps 100% (maybe falling behind a bit). They will not just make new ones just because other companies announce stuff at GDC. A full year cycle is pretty standard (I have their X51 and refeshes were slightly over a year). Everyone should wait for R2.. but this is tempting.

The Alienware people are doing an AMA right now.

Useful info thus far:

"We hear you loud and clear and we are working on enabling you with the ability to DL and install drivers directly from Nvidia. This is a top priority for us and we are actively working on it. I promise it will get fixed but not ready to commit to a date just yet as we are dependent on Nvidia in this as well, it should be soon."

Useful info thus far:

"We hear you loud and clear and we are working on enabling you with the ability to DL and install drivers directly from Nvidia. This is a top priority for us and we are actively working on it. I promise it will get fixed but not ready to commit to a date just yet as we are dependent on Nvidia in this as well, it should be soon."

That's good to hear, hope it really is soon!

Useful info thus far:

Thanks for the link. I was on the fence about getting an alpha but he said they'll be announcing an update to the alpha soon so i guess I'll wait

Has anyone managed to get Watch_dogs working on this with decent quality? I've got the i5 model with the GPU overclocked as far as MSI Afterburner will allow (it's a shame Afterburner doesn't seem to be allowed to run when you're in Alpha UI mode), and I can still only get the game to run at a decent ~30FPS target if I turn the settings down low enough that it looks like the Wii U version - certainly not close to the X1 / PS4 quality.

Surely Watch_dogs can't be *that* poorly optimised? Doesn't make me feel great about playing GTA V or Arkham Knight on this thing

mdtauk

Has anyone here had any luck getting logitech harmony remotes working with this thing?

I'm thinking of picking one up, or at least when a refresh comes along, but I'm curious as to how well you can get a harmony remote working with it as an MCE remote...

Is it possible to get the remote to turn the Alpha on/off (or at least sleep/wake from sleep) and navigate the Alpha UI? Is it possible to get it to control Steam BPM or XMBC from within BPM?

I would want to use my Smart Control remote with this thing and I understand that I would probably need to get some sort of MCE IR reciever, but if anyone else here has any experience with using a remote like this, which IR reciever would you recommend?

Thanks!

carl32

Banned
Is it worth buying one of these ? I have a XB1 and PS4 but i like the idea of a PC under the tv. I haven't been a PC gamer since 2004 and wondered what games are worth playing that are not on console. My gut instinct is to wait a year for a more powerful version.

Is it worth buying one of these ? I have a XB1 and PS4 but i like the idea of a PC under the tv. I haven't been a PC gamer since 2004 and wondered what games are worth playing that are not on console. My gut instinct is to wait a year for a more powerful version.

There will likely be a more powerful version very 12-18 months. That said, tell us a little more about why you want one? Do you want to play games that are available on console but at higher resolution/frame rate, play more indie games, access the mod scene, etc?

Exile20

There is always going to be a more powerful version to wait for honestly

carl32

Banned
^^^^^^ I'm ok with PS4 XB1 graphics for the moment but is their any PC games out that are not on console that are worth getting a PC for and is this good enough to run them. I know i can get a i5 970 GTX system for about 7- £800 but i like the under the tv idea of the Alpha.

^^^^^^ I'm ok with PS4 XB1 graphics for the moment but is their any PC games out that are not on console that are worth getting a PC for and is this good enough to run them. I know i can get a i5 970 GTX system for about 7- £800 but i like the under the tv idea of the Alpha.

The I think the Alpha would be a great addition. I mostly use mine for older games, mods, and indie stuff, but even games like Fifa 15 and Titanfall have run smoothly on the system.

I would suggest buying a wireless keyboard trackpad combo like the logitech K400.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-swatch-image-lt.png

It is a lifesaver at times. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The I think the Alpha would be a great addition. I mostly use mine for older games, mods, and indie stuff, but even games like Fifa 15 and Titanfall have run smoothly on the system.

I would suggest buying a wireless keyboard trackpad combo like the logitech K400.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-swatch-image-lt.png

It is a lifesaver at times. :)
Do they make a left handed version? I can't use a trackpad with my right hand. Only my left.

Also could they make one where the trackpad clicks and doesn't have the two physical buttons?

Alternatively, is there drivers for Windows that will let you use the Apple wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad in Windows on an actual Windows machine? I can't play FPS games with a mouse. Only my trackpad. (I find it hard to even use a controller anymore.)

DSmalls84

Can anyone tell me how Civ V runs on the i-3 version of the Alpha? My X-51 died last year and I am looking for a cheap replacement system.

DSmalls84

It got to the point where it would not output video when I rebooted it. I had a friend who has experience building PCs check it out but he couldn't get it back up and running. It has been about 6 months, but I was basically looking at buying some parts and rebuilding it in a standard case.

Edit: My system was modified with a 660 ti.

Top Bottom