• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

Sorcerer

Heres a dumb question.

I understand with these alphas Windows is hidden and big picture mode is the default.

Does that mean I don't have to deal with windows maintenance such as updates and virus protection?

I am pretty sure the answer is all windows maintenance applies but if not I would consider one of these, because the Steam OS version is likely never coming out.

Hooked my in last night. Gaming wise I'm happy games look really good. However big picture mode of you tube and Netflix and all needs a bit work. I'm really happy with it though and bought myself a wee keyboard and trackpad combo

I was in the same boat. I just boot I to desktop now and launch steam.

Small bump: I have been able to get Best Buy to price match Dell's $29.99 wireless 360 controllers. Now I have four and am ready for some gang beasts action! :D

Chris Kay

Neo Member
Looks like it runs an 820m as opposed to the Alpha's 860m. I have no idea about the performance differences between the two though. :)

Yeah the Alienware has the better Graphics card. But as a overall media machine for my TV with the option of some gaming available the Asus seems to be a far better fit to my wishes and cheaper. Should be able to run Civ 5 well enough which is all I need :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220981&cm_re=vm62-_-83-220-981-_-Product

Just wondering if anybody here had any experience with it.

Yeah the Alienware has the better Graphics card. But as a overall media machine for my TV with the option of some gaming available the Asus seems to be a far better fit to my wishes and cheaper. Should be able to run Civ 5 well enough which is all I need :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220981&cm_re=vm62-_-83-220-981-_-Product

Just wondering if anybody here had any experience with it.

I don't but I'd really love to read your impressions if you buy one. :)

Chris Kay

Neo Member
In case you get on of these, if SSD+HDD is important to you then make sure to get the right version, Asus has way too man Vivo versions so its easy to order the wrong one.

The Zotac ZBOX EN760 has a similiar GPU like the Alpha, but a weeker CPU.

Yeah I noticed, thanks for the info. Luckily it´s easy to upgrade the Ram or HDD-SSD.

Haven´t heard of the Zotac, will look into it. Any other alternatives?

I went all in on the i7 model. I figured what the hell? The steam sales are great right now, and I don't have a good reliable PC at the moment. The i7 model takes care of both of those issues for me. I'm still waiting for delivery though.

I went all in on the i7 model. I figured what the hell? The steam sales are great right now, and I don't have a good reliable PC at the moment. The i7 model takes care of both of those issues for me. I'm still waiting for delivery though.

Excellent. Hope you'll come back and give your impressions.

My impressions on the i7 after having it for about a month:

PROS:

- Best LAN machine ever. I go to friends/girlfriends place all the time and it's so easy to transport. It's with me everywhere in my backpack. It's smaller in real life than it seems in pictures/video.
- If you're building a computer around a graphics card like the 750 TI, you can't beat the price currently (at least in Canada - best I could do was get a system at around $900 bucks but without Windows/360 controller/super awesome case). When I want to upgrade GPU, I'll take the parts I can take from this and put it in a new motherboard. Or build something entirely new and keep this as a portable LoL/SC2 machine - undecided.
- Power efficient
- COLOURFUL LIGHTS! Plus Alienware interacts with games like Shadow of Mordor and Payday 2 (lights are context sensitive ie. flashes red when you're on low health)
- Runs everything I've tried on high settings at least at 1080p 30fps. Tweaking can get any game to 60fps.
- Quiet, if you sleep in the same room as your computer while it's downloading from Steam or something you don't even notice it's on (besides the light that you could turn off)
- It's cute... My girlfriend thinks its adorable like how she thinks babies are adorable, haha

CONS:

- Currently you have to get a custom unofficial firmware from Alienware for the GPU
- Not running Borderlands 2 at all for some reason (crashes during character select, tried deleting save, tried deleting local content and redownloading)
- Can't upgrade GPU (but see my point on that above)
- The i7 may be underpowered. The 4765T was chosen for its power efficiency, so it's understandable. In hindsight, I may have just gotten the i5 model or upgraded the CPU myself but at the time of considering purchase I was unsure if a 4770k or something would work in here so... I decided to be lazy and just go with the i7 upgrade through Alienware
- Alpha OS is kind of useless, I uninstalled it and just run as windows.
- No multi-monitor without the use of an external video adapter (would have preferred two HDMI outs instead of an HDMI in, but the pass-through will probably be convenient for some)
- Only optical output/HDMI for audio. No 3.5mm input for audio (I have a USB head set as well as an adapter to plug 3.5mm jack into USB, so I have servicable solutions)
- Not enough USB slots without a USB hub (I have one so I'm good there too)

kodecraft

PROS:

- Best LAN machine ever. I go to friends/girlfriends place all the time and it's so easy to transport. It's with me everywhere in my backpack. It's smaller in real life than it seems in pictures/video.
- If you're building a computer around a graphics card like the 750 TI, you can't beat the price currently (at least in Canada - best I could do was get a system at around $900 bucks but without Windows/360 controller/super awesome case). When I want to upgrade GPU, I'll take the parts I can take from this and put it in a new motherboard. Or build something entirely new and keep this as a portable LoL/SC2 machine - undecided.
- Power efficient
- COLOURFUL LIGHTS! Plus Alienware interacts with games like Shadow of Mordor and Payday 2 (lights are context sensitive ie. flashes red when you're on low health)
- Runs everything I've tried on high settings at least at 1080p 30fps. Tweaking can get any game to 60fps.
- Quiet, if you sleep in the same room as your computer while it's downloading from Steam or something you don't even notice it's on (besides the light that you could turn off)
- It's cute... My girlfriend thinks its adorable like how she thinks babies are adorable, haha

CONS:

- Currently you have to get a custom unofficial firmware from Alienware for the GPU
- Not running Borderlands 2 at all for some reason (crashes during character select, tried deleting save, tried deleting local content and redownloading)
- The i7 may be underpowered. The 2765T was chosen for its power efficiency, so it's understandable. In hindsight, I may have just gotten the i5 model or upgraded the CPU myself but at the time of considering purchase I was unsure if a 4770k or something would work in here so... I decided to be lazy and just go with the i7 upgrade through Alienware
- No multi-monitor without the use of an external video adapter (would have preferred two HDMI outs instead of an HDMI in, but the pass-through will probably be convenient for some)
- Only optical output/HDMI for audio. No 3.5mm input for audio (I have a USB head set as well as an adapter to plug 3.5mm jack into USB, so I have servicable solutions)

Great impressions. Thanks for the rundown.

I have been playing the base model the last week and I like it more than my Xbox one and ps4. I just upgraded the ram from 4 to 12. I'm going to try call of duty advance warfare when I get home

kodecraft

I have been playing the base model the last week and I like it more than my Xbox one and ps4. I just upgraded the ram from 4 to 12. I'm going to try call of duty advance warfare when I get home

You're just excited to have something new. PC gaming is cool. But one thing I miss is the community that is XBL.

Currently in the midst of building a small form factor Steam Machine myself. Good times ahead, and welcome.

You're just excited to have something new. PC gaming is cool. But one thing I miss is the community that is XBL.

Currently in the midst of building a small form factor Steam Machine myself. Good times ahead, and welcome.

What type of case are u looking to get? Small is why I grabbed an alpha

PROS:

- Power efficient

CONS:

- The i7 may be underpowered. The 4765T was chosen for its power efficiency, so it's understandable. In hindsight, I may have just gotten the i5 model or upgraded the CPU myself but at the time of considering purchase I was unsure if a 4770k or something would work in here so... I decided to be lazy and just go with the i7 upgrade through Alienware

It has5 USB ports. What on Earth are you plugging into the thing?

kodecraft

What type of case are u looking to get? Small is why I grabbed an alpha

Been looking at a couple of cases out there in the ITX form factor, the thing about the Alpha is, it's utilizing custom parts. So it's like taking high-end laptop parts and putting it into a small form factor case.

I welcome these new small powerful machines as I've never been a fan of behemoth sized gaudy PC's with exhaust pipes doing 8k at 320fps. F that noise.

Been looking at a couple of cases out there in the ITX form factor, the thing about the Alpha is, it's utilizing custom parts. So it's like taking high-end laptop parts and putting it into a small form factor case.

I welcome these new small powerful machines as I've never been a fan of behemoth sized gaudy PC's with exhaust pipes doing 8k at 320fps. F that noise.

Are there any specific ITX cases that peak your interest? Reason I'm asking is now I'm thinking about building a SFF pc lol.

It has5 USB ports. What on Earth are you plugging into the thing?

Stuff always plugged in:
Wired Keyboard
Wired Mouse
USB headset
360 Receiver
Wireless keyboard mouse receiver for when I'm watching Netflix/using on TV (in the sweet bottom port)

Extra stuff:
Micro USB (phone, sometimes two)
Mini USB (charging Wii U controller)
USB Adapter for speakers
External Hard Drive
Card Reader
Other controllers (Wired 360 controller, USB Gamecube controller)
And some day I might get that external video adapter for second monitor

It's just convenient to have the USB hub so if I need to plug in any of the extra stuff, I don't have to unplug anything. On the road - I don't bring the USB hub with me so it has just enough ports for the regular things.

Also, only two of the USB ports are USB 3.0. Only really matters for the hard drive but I would be convenient for them all to be for some.

Stuff always plugged in:
Wired Keyboard
Wired Mouse
USB headset
360 Receiver
Wireless keyboard mouse receiver for when I'm watching Netflix/using on TV (in the sweet bottom port)

Extra stuff:
Micro USB (phone, sometimes two)
Mini USB (charging Wii U controller)
USB Adapter for speakers
External Hard Drive
Card Reader
Other controllers (Wired 360 controller, USB Gamecube controller)
And some day I might get that external video adapter for second monitor

It's just convenient to have the USB hub so if I need to plug in any of the extra stuff, I don't have to unplug anything. On the road - I don't bring the USB hub with me so it has just enough ports for the regular things.

Also, only two of the USB ports are USB 3.0. Only really matters for the hard drive but I would be convenient for them all to be for some.

Dear god. Reading that I just kept having this image in my mind....

sega-tower-of-power.jpg

tim.mbp

Picked up the base model at Walmart today. I need to run out to Staples to pick up a keyboard though to do a SSD upgrade.

Picked up the base model at Walmart today. I need to run out to Staples to pick up a keyboard though to do a SSD upgrade.

Let me know how you like it. I added an 8gb stick of ram last night and is helped. I played call of duty advanced warfare and is pretty good. Had to drop some of the settings but it still nice. I have 12gb in our now.

tim.mbp

Let me know how you like it. I added an 8gb stick of ram last night and is helped. I played call of duty advanced warfare and is pretty good. Had to drop some of the settings but it still nice. I have 12gb in our now.

So far so good. SSD upgrade when really smoothly and now I'm just downloading a bunch of my Steam games.

Sanctuary

I still have no idea who these kinds of units are aimed at, similarly Steambox. It's like a console that plays PC titles. I'm clearly biased, but how many people that have been mostly console exclusive players care about something like this, and how many people that are PC exclusive already (or maybe a mix of the two) would want one of these as well? You can already easily build your own medium to small PC tower that's very portable and can fit in most places easily. I'm not seeing the cost/performance ratio coming close in these self-contained boxes yet. Alienware, Falcon and any of those other elite botique brands are way too expensive for a sleek looking tower.

Building a PC is nowhere near as overwhelming as what it could be a decade or two ago.

I still have no idea who these kinds of units are aimed at, similarly Steambox. It's like a console that plays PC titles. I'm clearly biased, but how many people that have been mostly console exclusive players care about something like this, and how many people that are PC exclusive already (or maybe a mix of the two) would want one of these as well? You can already easily build your own medium to small PC tower that's very portable and can fit in most places easily. I'm not seeing the cost/performance ratio coming close in these self-contained boxes yet. Alienware, Falcon and any of those other elite botique brands are way too expensive for a sleek looking tower.

Building a PC is nowhere near as overwhelming as what it could be a decade or two ago.
Some of us have zero desire to build a PC.

Denton

Alpha is the smallest PC you can possibly get at this performance level. And the $550 version is fairly price competitive with consoles, similar in performance measured while having all the advantages PC brings.

RM8

You could read a bit in this thread and you'd understand why it's appealing to some of us.

NJDEN

I didn't really read a whole lot into the OP, but I see most people saying the GPU is not upgradable.

Is everyone sure on that?

I've got a Nvidia mobile chip in my laptop (GTX 765M) and I can upgrade that. Its slotted like the RAM or CPU in a sense.

The laptop's a Sager meaning nothing is soldered to the main board, I'd think Dell would want to apply the same sense of upgradeability to their Alienware branding.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't really read a whole lot into the OP, but I see most people saying the GPU is not upgradable.

Is everyone sure on that?

I've got a Nvidia mobile chip in my laptop (GTX 765M) and I can upgrade that. Its slotted like the RAM or CPU in a sense.

The laptop's a Sager meaning nothing is soldered to the main board, I'd think Dell would want to apply the same sense of upgradeability to their Alienware branding.
It's custom made for the Alpha. Wouldn't be surprised if it was soldiered. All reviews say it's not removable.

Sanctuary

You could read a bit in this thread and you'd understand why it's appealing to some of us.

I have read the thread and I mostly see: portability/size and wanting to be able to play PC games without needing to build your own or spending a lot of money for a prebuilt "gaming" PC.

I guess it's not so much a question of who this is actually aimed at, but rather if there's really enough of a market for it.

Fezan

2 questions

Isn't i7 overkill with this gpu.
Or gets of alpha have you tried unity. What was the performance

RM8

I have read the thread and I mostly see: portability/size and wanting to be able to play PC games without needing to build your own or spending a lot of money for a prebuilt "gaming" PC.

I guess it's not so much a question of who this is actually aimed at, but rather if there's really enough of a market for it.
Yup, it's precisely portability for me. I won't be at home for half of 2015 and I have no use for a cost efficient monster PC that I can't take with myself :/ This is perfect for me.

kodecraft

Yup, it's precisely portability for me. I won't be at home for half of 2015 and I have no use for a cost efficient monster PC that I can't take with myself :/ This is perfect for me.

I got a laptop that I game on that out does the Alpha. But it was $1000 laptop. So cost is a factor too.

Lettuce

Can we not just install this UI on are HTPC and then have the best of both worlds?

I heard this custom UI increased game performance by 10% is that correct?

For me, it's simply that I want to have something small and quiet to put into my living room, next to my console, to play PC-only indie games, and Steam sales deals. Nothing fits this better than the Alpha.

Can we not just install this UI on are HTPC and then have the best of both worlds?

I heard this custom UI increased game performance by 10% is that correct?

i have not heard that anywhere. i currently just have mine booted into window's model and then into steam big picture b/c from the alpha UI i couldn't launch Titanfall or Far Cry 4.

sörine;143259043 said:
That's just what I wanted to hear! Super interested in the Alpha now but was also curious if anyone's tested Dolphin/PCSX2 performance on it?

I just tested Eternal Darkness using today's Dolphin build. Gameplay runs fine at a steady 60 FPS. Very rarely, the audio will hiccup for a tiny millisecond, but now I'm just nitpicking on the results of the emulation itself. Also, when a cutscene switches, there's a green tint that overlays the screen - this is even more rare than the audio hiccup, and it lasts for maybe 3 seconds. I think it's a game-specific bug using Dolphin. Otherwise this particular title plays perfectly using Dolphin. This is running at 3X-Native Resolution.

So I reckon the Alpha runs Dolphin pretty well. I haven't tested PCSX2 though. I'm not sure how to recompile everything together, so I don't think I'll attempt it.

Would you be able to upgrade the base i3 model to the i5 specs for less than the current price difference of £120? Dont know much about processors to make my own comparison.

Top Bottom