• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

Thrakier

People keep saying this; people keep missing the point of this device.

People keep missing it because there is no point for this device, except selling something to the super lazy and super misinformed.

Go to pc gaf, ask people for advise for a small form factor pc, look for a shop near you that's building it for you, be done with it. The effort to do this is really small and you get so much more for it.

Thrakier

The GPU is non-upgradable.

You can or did something change in these last weeks I'm not familiar with?

So you buy that device and the main point of sale is that you don't want to fiddle with hardware, yet you consider upgrading the CPU. That makes no sense at all. Also, upgrading the CPU but being bound to an 860m is just...bad. It makes sense for an office/multimedia device, but not for a gaming device.

NEO0MJ

Also, upgrading the CPU but being bound to an 860m is just...bad. It makes sense for an office/multimedia device, but not for a gaming device.

Its performance is between a 750 and 750ti so it's not that bad.

What has that got to do with what I said? Can you upgrade your CPU and RAM or not?

I guess he means that even if you can modify the CPU and Ram, because it's GPU locked it doesn't have much long term use.

Crayon

So you buy that device and the main point of sale is that you don't want to fiddle with hardware, yet you consider upgrading the CPU. That makes no sense at all. Also, upgrading the CPU but being bound to an 860m is just...bad. It makes sense for an office/multimedia device, but not for a gaming device.

There's a very basic appeal to a slick shiny box. You must be able to understand this on some level.

Don't you own at least one fancy case that you paid a bit too much for?

I have a Thomson seatpost for my bike. Its the stick with the clamp on the end that holds the seat. It cost 80 dollars when i could have got one that does the same job for 30. I just wanted that thompson. Not hurtin nobody.

Try to understand.

Durante

Even though I see the appeal (and niche) for this box, I have to agree with Thrakier on the upgradability front.

For all meaningful intents and purposes, this is not an upgradable system beyond storage/memory capacity.

Seanspeed

Banned
People keep missing it because there is no point for this device, except selling something to the super lazy and super misinformed.

Go to pc gaf, ask people for advise for a small form factor pc, look for a shop near you that's building it for you, be done with it. The effort to do this is really small and you get so much more for it.
You just repeat the same comments over and over no matter how many times people explain to you that your preferences arent universal.

The GPU is non-upgradable.

You can or did something change in these last weeks I'm not familiar with?
Ok my bad on the CPU thing. Dont see the point in upgrading it if youre stuck with GPU, though.

And you will never be able to build a pc this powerful at this size. Its form factor is the point, something that you are willfully ignoring.

Thrakier

Don't you own at least one fancy case that you paid a bit too much for?

No. And I don't understand why anyone would do that. If yo don't know any better and you fall for it, fine, I get it. Happens to me all the time, I guess. If you DO know better and you still buy it, no, I don't understand it. Then again, I wouldn't understand why someone is interested in low tier/low performance PC gaming anyway. Outside of indies, obviously.

@Boombox

There was this guy who said he wants to travel with it. I get the importance of size in that case, where every cm counts. For the guys just connecting it to the TV at home - you won't probably get it the exact same size, but marginally wider. I wouldn't understand why someone would sacrifice performance and longevity for 5cms. No.

OK, now this is getting out of hand. If you insist on repeatedly thread shitting please refrain from insulting people.

Durante

No. And I don't understand why anyone would do that.
You don't understand the idea of wanting something which looks aesthetically pleasing? What?

I currently use this case. There are plastic/steel cases which offer more or less the same utility for 1/4 the price -- or even more utility, with more space for CPU coolers/gpus, but that doesn't make me "uninformed" for buying it. In fact, I'd argue that my case purchasing decision is unusually informed, given that I was looking for one on and off for roughly 2 years.

Thrakier

You don't understand the idea of wanting something which looks aesthetically pleasing? What?

I currently use this case. There are plastic/steel cases which offer more or less the same utility for 1/4 the price -- or even more utility, with more space for CPU coolers/gpus, but that doesn't make me "uninformed" for buying it. In fact, I'd argue that my case purchasing decision is unusually informed, given that I was looking for one on and off for roughly 2 years.

Come on now. Of course I get the appeal of buying something that is aesthetically pleasing. That is not the topic here. You can buy a case that is just as pleasing. Which is your point as well, isn't it. I just said that I wouldn't put design before function but would look for something that does both best. And solutions like that are available on the market. You just have to do a little bit of research. And that is what I meant by stating it's a product "for the lazy" because that is pretty sure the target group they had in mind when they designed it. It's not meant as an insult, it is just what it is. Anyone who is informed and not bothered by some work won't buy this box. Dell surely knows that.

RM8

There was this guy who said he wants to travel with it. I get the importance of size in that case, where every cm counts.
Yeah, that's literally the only reason why I'm really interested in this :( I wanted to build a real gaming PC for the first time, but I won't be home for half of 2015 so I appreciate the portability. Also, transporting a real CPU is probably not a great idea even not considering the lack of portability.

Plus I keep reading the GPU is pretty much on Xbox One territory? I want to believe I'll be fine for the kind of games I play (fighters, action, arcade racers - nothing open world or fancy shooters). I hope Street Fighter V is not too demanding!

It's also cool that I'll have a Windows desktop PC anywhere I go. This thing looks basically WiiU-sized. I just wish it didn't have the hideous Alien logo, lol.

Yeah, that's literally the only reason why I'm really interested in this :( I wanted to build a real gaming PC for the first time, but I won't be home for half of 2015 so I appreciate the portability. Also, transporting a real CPU is probably not a great idea even not considering the lack of portability.

Plus I keep reading the GPU is pretty much on Xbox One territory? I want to believe I'll be fine for the kind of games I play (fighters, action, arcade racers - nothing open world or fancy shooters). I hope Street Fighter V is not too demanding!

It's also cool that I'll have a Windows desktop PC anywhere I go. This thing looks basically WiiU-sized. I just wish it didn't have the hideous Alien logo, lol.

It is actually smaller than a Wii U. And thankfully you can off the LED behind the alien head so it is more understated. :)

Krejlooc

Banned

These things are like half the size of a Wii. They're just about the same size as a couple or three CD jewel cases stacked on top of each other.

Thrakier

Not everyone can afford $1000+ monstrosities?

It is the other way around. This tiny box is something you have to "afford". It's definitly a luxury product. And high performance does not mean a 1000$ PC. There is no need to go into extremes. You can build one witha small form factor for 600 to 700$ which is more powerful and, more important, easy to upgrade.

Krejlooc

Banned
It is the other way around. This tiny box is something you have to "afford". It's definitly a luxury product. And high performance does not mean a 1000$ PC. There is no need to go into extremes. You can build one witha small form factor for 600 to 700$ which is more powerful and, more imortant, easy to upgrade.

$700 < $550 ?

Thrakier

$700 < $550 ?

I said 600 to 700 and way more powerful and future proof. I'm always building mid-tier PCs with mild overclocks. I built my PC at the end of 2012 and now I exchanged my GPU for about 150$ (still got money for my old, used one), oced my processor to 4,2ghz and I'm good to go for at least a year or 1,5. And that is for gaming at native resolution AND 60FPS. If it would be suffice for me to drop resolution and framerate to console levels, I'd probably be fine for the next 4 years.

You can buy that box because you just don't give a fuck or because it is so small, but don't pretend that you get a good bank for your buck. That's just not the case.

Krejlooc

Banned
I said 600 to 700 and way more powerful and future proof.

The argument you replied to obviously implied that the point of this machine is to appeal to a specific price point. You completely ignored house point then repeated the same thing you've said several times in this thread.

Thrakier

The argument you replied to obviously implied that the point of this machine is to appeal to a specific price point. You completely ignored house point then repeated the same thing you've said several times in this thread.

It's a non-argument for various reasons which I pointed out - several times. No matter how you spin it, the price/performance ratio is off. Especially if you are low on money, this is the worst way to invest it.

metalhead79

Neo Member
It is the other way around. This tiny box is something you have to "afford". It's definitly a luxury product. And high performance does not mean a 1000$ PC. There is no need to go into extremes. You can build one witha small form factor for 600 to 700$ which is more powerful and, more important, easy to upgrade.

A highend PC will cost $1000+. You can build a "good" gaming system, if by good you mean more powerful than a console, for $600-700, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's highend.
If you plan to run with the big boys your GPU(s) alone will cost more than a PS4.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's a non-argument for various reasons which I pointed out - several times.

Just because you deflect doesn't make them not arguments. If I have $550 in my pocket, you can preach to me about value all you want, the amount of money I have still dictates what I can buy.

Thrakier

Just because you deflect doesn't make them not arguments. If I have $550 in my pocket, you can preach to me about value all you want, the amount of money I have still dictates what I can buy.

Ok. You can buy a better one for that money. Or save 3 more months for a much better one.

Also, if you could buy:

a) A very old generic chrysler, close to breakdown, for 5.000$
b) a Porsche in great shape, which will run for many more years for 6.000$

...you would get a), I guess? I would buy b) or nothing. That might be the difference.

Nzyme32

Ok. You can buy a better one for that money. Or save 3 more months for a much better one.

Also, if you could buy:

...you would get a), I guess? I would buy b) or nothing. That might be the difference.

For crying out loud. The topic is "alienware alpha first impressions and benchmarks". Let's get back on topic rather than trying to dictate what someone should do with their money.

Crayon

I was trying to figure out how to build a really small quiet steam machine with an a10 apu. I was inspired by the alpha. After looking around at parts I realized the alpha actually a good deal.

Garou

Reading the last page rustled my jimmies a bit. Fine if you criticize the thing, but instead of spouting bullshit, go ahead and make a pcpartpicker-list of your "better" machine. But keep in mind that
a) It may not be taller than 1.5x of the Alienware (it has to fit in a TV-rack after all)
b) It has to be as silent as the Alienware
c) It had to be either cheaper or performing better than the Alienware

Until you post such a build: GTFO!

Also, if you could buy:

Keep fighting those windmills.

Krejlooc

Banned

Also, if you could buy:

If I had only 5.000$ in my pocket? Well I guess the choice would be made for me, then.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Reading the last page rustled my jimmies a bit. Fine if you criticize the thing, but instead of spouting bullshit, go ahead and make a pcpartpicker-list of your "better" machine. But keep in mind that
a) It may not be taller than 1.5x of the Alienware (it has to fit in a TV-rack after all)

I agree with this.

I welcome challengers. But unless they're in the same ballpark, I ain't caring.

I'm just sad there haven't been any real benchmark reviews that I've seen.

_Clash_

This box is a pretty interesting proposition. And maybe something I look at when I feel the need for a PS4/ Xbone. I made a gaming PC a few years ago with one eye on a future HTPC. So it's pretty exciting seeing this form factor.

Originally, the plan was a linux OS with Steam running in BPM is that correct? Then Valve was developing a controller, that, assumably was meant to be ready for this release. What I'm wondering is, would the Gen 2 alienware alpha still run Windows or will this Gen 1 box be seen as an oddity with future versions trying to move away from Windows to Linux?

_Clash_

Well,

If this will be the only mass produced alienware steam box with Windows. I suppose that makes it an even more exciting proposition IMO.

Hard to go past this.

Damn Scalebound.

I hope they never drop Windows. I don't care how much care is put into SteamOS. I want 100% compatibility. Not emulation via Linux.

I both agree and disagree. Agree because until/if SteamOS takes off and is supported en masse by developers, Windows' game library will dwarf the Linux one. Disagree because an OS that is built with gaming in mind will carry far less baggage and will be much more streamlined than full Windows.

sörine

Banned

Also, if you could buy:

Do I have to build the Porsche myself though?

pdog128

That also includes a Windows license, 360 controller, and free games.

These things are like half the size of a Wii. They're just about the same size as a couple or three CD jewel cases stacked on top of each other.

Wow, that is small! Given the size of the box I saw at Target the other day, I figured it was as big, if not bigger, than a Wii U.

How quiet does it run? I'm guessing the fan throttles, but how loud does it get?

Holy crap, that is cool! Build 7 more and we can cart race!

Wow, that is small! Given the size of the box I saw at Target the other day, I figured it was as big, if not bigger, than a Wii U.

How quiet does it run? I'm guessing the fan throttles, but how loud does it get?

Holy crap, that is cool! Build 7 more and we can cart race!

I have both a Wii U and an Alpha. I love both cuz they're silent. You can only hear the fan on both when they're rendering games and it's much quieter than my desktop with 2 120mm fans on it. Reason why I mention the Wii U is that I consider that thing to be whisper silent. So the Alpha is very comparable. I can't even decide which is louder.

Would you like me to take decibel readings on both to give you a good comparison?

Top Bottom