• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

It's weird because Nintendo said this game is before Ocarina of Time but if this follows Twilight Princess' provinces, it makes no sense. Nintendo and their (apparently) messed up timelines.

Dr.Hadji

Sennorin said:
Mario Galaxy did nothing special for 3D Mario. It was just the best iteration of 3D Mario. Skyward Sword, on the other hand, seems to introduce a big, needed change to 3D Zelda.

Umm that's not true at all. The gravity alone greatly changes the design space.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sennorin said:
"As Phi willingly fell into the stream of lava, she made the ultimate sacrifice: She had seen how Link could never defeat the demon lord Ghirahim without a weapon of his own kind. Being molten alive, combining her strongest of all wills with her fading bodily existence, she turned herself into what would later become known as the Master Sword - a sword so full of enlightened energy that it would be able to banish any evil.

When Link would tell the citizens of Hyrule, after his victory over the evil Ghirahim, that the all-saving sword was created by a pure-hearted gift to all living things, the place of its birth, and thus Phi´s grave, would stop being called Eldin Volcano - and be known as Death Mountain for all of time.
"

Yeah, fanfic-time! :p
Wow, that's good.

ReyVGM

Oh crap, I didn't like that part about the
Silent Realm
. That sounds like another Ocean King Temple with all the annoying "stealth".

ReyVGM said:
Oh crap, I didn't like that part about the
Silent Realm
. That sounds like another Ocean King Temple with all the annoying "stealth".
Yeah I know people were going to dislike that part. Personally I never had a problem with that section. The constant retreading through the same area was the only annoying part about it and they shouldn't be an issue for this one. I also personally enjoyed ST's sections alot.

However, this sounds like it will not be as time consuming as TP's bug hunt or The Ocean King Temple. It sounds like it was meant to be fast paced.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess I better start looking into Dolphin. No way I'm going to tarnish the experience by having a first playthrough at 480p.

Bulzeeb

Rebel Leader said:
Highlighted the spoilers

Holy mother of god =O

same reaction and i only highlighted the first part o_O game sounds great, it almost makes me forget NoA for not releasing xenoblade here (yeah I am still bitter and too poor to import the game from Europe to South America)

renitou

jett said:
Watching that old trialer made me realize that the hideous condom-HUD was hidden in the recent footage, hopefully it's a sign that you can hide it in the full game.
This is important.

Josh7289

I'm on media blackout! :D

I've never done this before but after seeing that trailer yesterday I think I've already been overexposed. Thank you for the spoiler tags in the OP. I just checked this thread to see if was old or not and avoided spoiling any surprises because of the tags. :)

TDLink

jett said:
Watching that old trialer made me realize that the hideous condom-HUD was hidden in the recent footage, hopefully it's a sign that you can hide it in the full game.

I thought they already confirmed a while ago that you can?

Diffense

So as I understand it, the locations in the underworld aren't connected but are like Wind Waker islands that you enter from above.

The artstyle brings back memories of tWW too.
I was never a huge fan of Wind Waker's style.
It was often pretty but so unrealistic that it took me out of Hyrule.
IMO, Zelda:SS strikes the perfect balance between the fanciful and the believable.
The Wii's swansong might just be one of Nintendo's most stunning achievements.
Can't wait!

NeonZ

Diffense said:
So as I understand it, the locations in the underworld aren't connected but are like Wind Waker islands that you enter from above.

They seem to mention some kind of overworld in the underworld, like the area around the forest temple. We just don't know how connected those areas will be.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Idde said:
Crap. I want to highlight the spoilers. But I don't want to. I'm not sure I can hold out for two more months :(

I just read them, and didn't absorb anything because they use new terminology you need to associate with an image, lol!

I am so excited for this game, what a change of tune from me... )_)

Diffense

NeonZ said:
They seem to mention some kind of overworld in the underworld, like the area around the forest temple. We just don't know how connected those areas will be.

Ok.
Sounds good either way.

PooBone

In regards to the overworld/underworld travel, I'm pretty confused. So is Skyloft in the clouds flying around ala Wind Waker w/ wings being considered the "overworld," while the "underworld" is ground, forests, rivers, etc, and that's all being considered basically one giant dungeon?

I'd imagined it being like Wind Waker in the sky with islands in the clouds, then an overworld proper underneath, ala OoT, with dungeons split off of that.

I'm really confused on how it works if the "underworld" is just one big dungeon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so tempted to read the news info, but I'm on media black out. Must resist. Only two months.

- mixes tear collecting of Twilight Princess and stealth of Phantom Hourglass

Wow, sounds fun....

"Mr. Miyamoto says Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword could have 50-100 hours of gameplay, one of Nintendo's largest projects EVER! #3DSconf2011"

Gonna bet most of that time involves traversing a boring overworld.

Duderz

Banned
Between this and Xenoblade, Wii is getting the ultimate sendoff. It's interesting that for Twilight Princess my hype was through the roof from day 1, but for this it has been a gradual buildup.

Unicorn

Lyphen said:
I guess I better start looking into Dolphin. No way I'm going to tarnish the experience by having a first playthrough at 480p.
Absolutely this.

I don't have wiimotion+ either, so the pack-in is nice.

Last time I tried dolphin (pre ver.3) wiimote pointing was severely delayed. Is that fixed in either ver.3 or with motion+?

As someone who doesn't own a Wii I haven't read anything about this game - I saw a couple of the early concept art and one or two of the original screenshots but nothing informational. Historically I'm a huge Zelda fan though, I've played them all and would like to play this one probably (maybe I'll even get a Wii for it). I'm at the office and can't watch the videos.

Would someone mind summarizing this game for me in like a paragraph or a couple of sentences? Is it all motion sword combat? There's flying? Multiple dimensions? Are there traditional Zelda style dungeon/item/boss progression or are they mixing that up somehow?

Lyphen said:
I'm very tempted to do the same, but I feel my wii deserves this last hurrah.
Of course, I'll be very jealous of the people posting the 1080p screens .

It is a shame that this game will never be released since Nintendo will cease to exist anymore in late November. This looked like quite an amazing game.

GCX

Houston3000 said:
Would someone mind summarizing this game for me in like a paragraph or a couple of sentences? Is it all motion sword combat? There's flying? Multiple dimensions? Are there traditional Zelda style dungeon/item/boss progression or are they mixing that up somehow?
They're making some pretty big changes to the core design of the game. The line between the overworld and dungeons has been blurred by making the whole world full of puzzles and stuff normally found only in dungeons. Item system has also been overhauled by an upgrade system which lets you customize items.

The world is divided into Skyloft above the clouds and the ground. Should be pretty massive and you do the travelling by flying. Also there's orchestrated soundtrack.

hyduK

Banned
3 hours before the first dungeon

Not sure if that was from this thread or the TGS one...but this is gonna be hit or miss for me. I mean, they pulled it off in Majora's Mask fine, but the beginning of Twilight Princess is some of the most tedious shit ever. It's basically the only reason that I don't play through the game every once in a while....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
hyduK said:
3 hours before the first dungeon

Not sure if that was from this thread or the TGS one...but this is gonna be hit or miss for me. I mean, they pulled it off in Majora's Mask fine, but the beginning of Twilight Princess is some of the most tedious shit ever. It's basically the only reason that I don't play through the game every once in a while....

I believe the point is, when the first "dungeon" begins is somewhat irrelevant. The entirety of Hyrule now plays like a dungeon, so it's not like it's all filler up until that point.

The Upgrade Trailer is the single piece of media shown so far that has given me a glimmer of hope for this game. They took the really superfluous upgrade system from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for your vehicle and turned it into something more ambitious. This, in theory, will do wonders for the exploration factor and, if my gut is right, means the archaic system of simply receiving upgrades in dungeons is done with in favor of something more gratifying. It's nothing new, but anything to move the series in a new direction. More like Xenoblade (but keep Zelda's combat/item system) would be awesome.

hyduK

Banned
What the hell is with the sound of approval every time you hit an enemy? That will get annoying...fast.

neoism

jett said:
I heard back last E3 that you can turn it off. Unless I heard wrong.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
TSA said:
The Upgrade Trailer is the single piece of media shown so far that has given me a glimmer of hope for this game. They took the really superfluous upgrade system from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for your vehicle and turned it into something more ambitious. This, in theory, will do wonders for the exploration factor and, if my gut is right, means the archaic system of simply receiving upgrades in dungeons is done with in favor of something more gratifying. It's nothing new, but anything to move the series in a new direction. More like Xenoblade (but keep Zelda's combat/item system) would be awesome.

A Zelda game with environments as detailed and large as Xenoblade, but with all the interaction of Zelda would be glorious. One of the few things I dont care for about Xenoblade is that Im so limited in my interactions with the awesome environments, I keep wishing it played more like Zelda.

Also I could only hope for Zelda to have half as many NPC sidequests as Xenoblade, Ive done like 300 now and I only just arrive in Sword Valley. My dream Zelda would be a giant playground world with tons of nooks and crannies for a billion NPC sidequests, Zelda sidequests are usually awesome, but theres always so few of them, at least to how many I wish there would be.

hyduK said:
What the hell is with the sound of approval every time you hit an enemy? That will get annoying...fast.

Wat?

Anyway, I notice something about that 4 minutes of footage. I haven't seen anyone else say it, so here it goes:

(Serious spoiler tags)
Link's sword changes in appearance during the video. A few scenes show that the sword is longer, but more importantly, the final scene shows that the blade is taking the shape of the Master Sword.
Looks like you do forge the sword as you go along.

MoogPaul

Really feels like a total revamp of, not necessarily gameplay, but how Zelda plays. I wasn't excited for this game before last night, but I am incredibly pumped now.

50-100 hours? That sounds way too unrealistic. But who cares, Ocarina of Time was no where near that length and was extremely enjoyable.

Deadbeat

Banned
I hope the upgrade system also expands into other equipment like your sword and mail. I miss that where in the older games like LTTP you could get better armor (blue mail, red mail) and get your sword tempered and so forth. Majoras Mask had that but the upgrade was temporary until you did the golden powder on top as well.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sounds good.

Nice to hear they are treating the world map as a dungeon, but I have to play it to judge this game. Will obviously play it because it is Zelda, but I'm cautiously optimistic because WW, PH and ST happened, and TP was better, but not as good as OOT and way too easy...

Why do you spoiler tag all? that shit is annoying, spoiler the important bits only, like items (not like they weren't spoiled in the official trailer...).

Top Bottom