• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

Medalion

Banned
I will invest all my time into playing and finishing this game this time, not like Twilight Princess

I will have Skyward Sword's babies

and Girahim is the father, and I'm a guy

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
MoogPaul said:
Really feels like a total revamp of, not necessarily gameplay, but how Zelda plays. I wasn't excited for this game before last night, but I am incredibly pumped now.

Yeah the game seems much more dynamic and lively, Link's ability to sprint and climb things really seems like it could add a lot to how we interact with enemies and especially the environments.

I really hope they have packed this game with as much extra stuff as possible. My favorite thing in Zelda games was often times just exploring the world and finding hidden places and completing sidequest and secret objectives and simply playing around. It would be great if they jammed the game full of rewards for doing just that.

Sennorin said:
"As Phi willingly fell into the stream of lava, she made the ultimate sacrifice: She had seen how Link could never defeat the demon lord Ghirahim without a weapon of his own kind. Being molten alive, combining her strongest of all wills with her fading bodily existence, she turned herself into what would later become known as the Master Sword - a sword so full of enlightened energy that it would be able to banish any evil.

When Link would tell the citizens of Hyrule, after his victory over the evil Ghirahim, that the all-saving sword was created by a pure-hearted gift to all living things, the place of its birth, and thus Phi´s grave, would stop being called Eldin Volcano - and be known as Death Mountain for all of time.
"

Yeah, fanfic-time! :p

15817_la.jpg

disco

I hate how before Link has his Green Tunic he wears that doormat thing around his waist again, I hated that in Twilight Princess.

discocaine said:
I hate how before Link has his Green Tunic he wears that doormat thing around his waist again, I hated that in Twilight Princess.
I love it. It looks more intersting and cultural than link's boring pjs from tww.

manueldelalas said:
Sounds good.

Nice to hear they are treating the world map as a dungeon, but I have to play it to judge this game. Will obviously play it because it is Zelda, but I'm cautiously optimistic because WW, PH and ST happened, and TP was better, but not as good as OOT and way too easy...

WW was one of the better 3D titles. What's wrong with you?

TheCongressman1 said:
WW was one of the better 3D titles. What's wrong with you?
No it wasn't. The only reason people like it so much is because of the visual style and better story. The structure of the game and pacing is seriously flawed compared to the rest of the 3d zeldas. crappy fetch quest anyone? Restrictive and boring transportation system anyone? uber easy puzzles and enemies anyone?

Luckily, it looks like SS will remedy most of the issues from TWW and TP.

GeneralIroh said:
No it wasn't. The only reason people like it so much is because of the visual style. The structure of the game and pacing is seriously flawed compared to the rest of the 3d zeldas. crappy fetch quest anyone? Restrictive and boring transportation system anyone? uber easy puzzles and enemies anyone?

Simply not true, man. That's your take on the game, but I liked it for far more than that.

GeneralIroh said:
No it wasn't. The only reason people like it so much is because of the visual style. The structure of the game and pacing is seriously flawed compared to the rest of the 3d zeldas.

Seriously flawed? No, it was just different. I can agree about the difficulty though. It was a bit easy. I enjoyed everything else about it.

Darkgran

I think I am going on a media black out starting right now. I really want most things to be a surprise. If only I hadn't watched that trailer.....

Darkgran said:
I think I am going on a media black out starting right now. I really want most things to be a surprise. If only I hadn't watched that trailer.....

I get the feeling that there is much more than what the trailer showed.

TheCongressman1 said:
Seriously flawed? No, it was just different. I can agree about the difficulty though. It was a bit easy. I enjoyed everything else about it.
It was so flawed the that Aounoma appologized for it. I don't have the direct source but i remember reading an interview where he acknowledged how bad TWW's fetch quest and lack of dungeons were.

GeneralIroh said:
No it wasn't. The only reason people like it so much is because of the visual style and better story. The structure of the game and pacing is seriously flawed compared to the rest of the 3d zeldas. crappy fetch quest anyone? Restrictive and boring transportation system anyone? uber easy puzzles and enemies anyone?

As well as the best combat, the best music...

GeneralIroh said:
It was so flawed the that Aounoma appologized for it. I don't have the direct source but i remember reading an interview where he acknowledged how bad TWW's fetch quest and lack of dungeons were.

You say that as if it was relevant. If I cared about creator backlash I wouldn't be listening to Relapse right now. I have my gripes about TWW, the Triforce hunt is not one of them.

I'd definitely appreciate enemies dealing actual damage though. As I said in one of the others threads, removing that additional heart container you get upon defeating bosses would solve two problems at the same time and I still don't get why they don't do that.

Bel Marduk said:

I'd say TP had the best combat, but with enemies that can't take a hit for the most part in both games it doesn't matter much. It's really frustrating having this whole array of cool moves and hardly ever have an opportunity to use them because everything is so weak. Also, TP and TWW had great music but not enough of it. Too much ambient stuff makes for the major part of the soundtrack.

GCX said:
Well since it's mostly composed by Mahito Yokota it's probably much like Mario Galaxy.
Hajime Wakai is the main composer with Koji Kondo helping out. Mahito Yokota has only been confirmed as orchestrator so far, so he probably didn't compose.

manueldelalas said:
Why do you spoiler tag all? that shit is annoying, spoiler the important bits only, like items (not like they weren't spoiled in the official trailer...).
What your definition of not important and what others point as important are different. I categorized to let people choose what they wanted to read about. Yes some of it isn't a big deal but who cares, multiple people have already thanked me for doing so. It's not like highlighting is that hard to do either.

Holy Order Sol said:
You say that as if it was relevant. If I cared about creator backlash I wouldn't be listening to Relapse right now. I have my gripes about TWW, the Triforce hunt is not one of them.

I'd definitely appreciate enemies dealing actual damage though. As I said in one of the others threads, removing that additional heart container you get upon defeating bosses would solve two problems at the same time and I still don't get why they don't do that.

Are you serious? I love WW, but that aspect of the game was just awful.

RagnarokX

Holy Order Sol said:
If only there was a way you could just not pick that heart container up. If only...

Holy Order Sol said:

Fair enough but I'm just pointing out how much of an issue it was. Some complained about collecting the tears but I thought it was fine and flowed along nicely. I think the whole heart container drop is there to give the player a sense of accomplishment after defeating a boss. While practicing restraint and choosing not to collect the contains is one way you can make the game more challenging. I'd rather have the enemies be more challenging and let people who like to earn achievements or collect everything do their thing.
They should replace heart containers with trophies or weapons from the bosses you defeated.

Holy Order Sol said:
I'd say TP had the best combat, but with enemies that can't take a hit for the most part in both games it doesn't matter much. It's really frustrating having this whole array of cool moves and hardly ever have an opportunity to use them because everything is so weak. Also, TP and TWW had great music but not enough of it. Too much ambient stuff makes for the major part of the soundtrack.

That's how I feel about the combat for both TP and TWW. TWW was a step back for me because they introduced the QTE feature that let you take down an enemy in one hit. While it looked pretty, it made the game too easy. TP gave you more moves and you had to go through more steps to perform those moves. It made the combat feel more fulfilling rather than automated.

RagnarokX said:
If only there was a way you could just not pick that heart container up. If only...

I've done it for OoT and MQ, 3-heart run was indeed fun. I should try it in MM, but I might end up completing a full heart by accident. XD

My point was that removing each container would allow to split it in 4 and make exploration more worthwhile and/or serve as rewards for puzzles in the dungeon itself. People who can handle it could just keep going, and those who would be stuck and feel they need more health would have more of an incentive to look for stuff.

RagnarokX

Holy Order Sol said:
I've done it for OoT and MQ, 3-heart run was indeed fun. I should try it in MM, but I might end up completing a full heart by accident. XD

My point was that removing each container would allow to split it in 4 and make exploration more worthwhile and/or serve as rewards for puzzles in the dungeon itself. People who can handle it could just keep going, and those who would be stuck and feel they need more health would have more of an incentive to look for stuff.
That's asking too much. Nintendo has finally figured out how to please both veterans and novices by having hint videos replace dumbed down gameplay. You can always choose to handicap your HP but Nintendo isn't going to chance pissing off people that aren't skilled enough to take that liberty. Besides. Link was taking decent damage in the demos.

TheCongressman1 said:
It does look like him, but the ornamentation looks organic.

It's kind of hard to say since all we have are the Gameboy one to go by. Who knows if it's organic or his "cloths" so to speak.

RagnarokX said:

To be fair, forcing yourself to make the game difficult is not quite as satisfying as Nintendo actually making it difficult. That said, I've always felt that completing the puzzles was the challenge in Zelda, not surviving the enemies. The enemies are more like an impetus to complete the puzzles quickly whenever they're around. The difficulty isn't about whether or not you'll die. At least not to me. Bosses could be a little harder though.

I bet that
[spoilers]wind whale [/spoilers]
isn't really a baddie but an infested demi god like jabu jabu or the deku tree. Those tentacle with eyes look like some kind of parasite.

RagnarokX

OrangeGrayBlue said:
To be fair, forcing yourself to make the game difficult is not quite as satisfying as Nintendo actually making it difficult. That said, I've always felt that completing the puzzles was the challenge in Zelda, not surviving the enemies. The enemies are more like an impetus to complete the puzzles quickly whenever they're around. The difficulty isn't about whether or not you'll die. At least not to me. Bosses could be a little harder though.
I agree. The fun is actually overcoming the enemies as they act as an obstacle. Not from being able to die. Enemies just need to impede/annoy you and be challenging to kill.

Lunar15

This art style just looks so much like how ALTTP would be represented in 3D. I don't know why that is, but it just screams it to me.

RagnarokX

GeneralIroh said:
I bet that
[spoilers]wind whale [/spoilers]
isn't really a baddie but an infested demi god like jabu jabu or the deku tree. Those tentacle with eyes look like some kind of parasite.
When I first saw the sky whale in the E3 trailer I thought it might be Jabun from OoT and WW. He's had a history of parasitic infections so he might be under evil control. Good observation.

Anth0ny

OrangeGrayBlue said:

Exactly. I got every damn heart container in Zelda 1 and still got my balls rocked. We shouldn't have to not collect heart pieces to make the game even remotely difficult.

I have to say, from the looks of the videos, the difficulty is there. It won't simply be slash, slash, slash, enemy goes down.

But the possibility of Twilight Realm tear collecting making a re-appearance is a fucking buzz kill. So horrible.

Cow Mengde said:
It's kind of hard to say since all we have are the Gameboy one to go by. Who knows if it's organic or his "cloths" so to speak.

Right. There is always room for artistic interpretation. I think there is a good chance that it is the you know who, but I'm just saying whatever it is looks completely organic.

I'd agree that those eyes are probably parasites. I would imagine if it is ahem, then he wouldn't be evil.

Telekap

I love the variety in the trailers. There is so much going on and the item upgrade is interesting. I hope it not just a shallow add on.

Branduil

Bel Marduk said:
Wind Waker too often devolved into "press A to win" fights to have the best combat. Actually, TP easily wins there, but I think SS certainly looks to surpass both by a wide margin.

Caelus

Guys, notice how the 4-min footage doesn't have a wii HUD?

This is marvelous! Looks like they finally understand!

Amir0x

Banned
Medalion said:
I will invest all my time into playing and finishing this game this time, not like Twilight Princess

I will have Skyward Sword's babies

and Girahim is the father, and I'm a guy

fuck you, Medalion. Skyward Sword is MY baby mama. No one treads on my territory. I even called making a gimpy official thread!

I WILL NOT HAVE NO FOREIGN COCKS IN MY SKYWARD...

...you know what forget that last bit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Caelus said:
Guys, notice how the 4-min footage doesn't have a wii HUD?

This is marvelous! Looks like they finally understand!

If you look closely, I think there's going to be options for that.

1. Full HUD with WiiMote shape and nunchunk.
2. No controller shape but the buttons are there.
3. Only the b button is there. Maybe the a button will be for contextual actions.

Sinoox

Banned
Anth0ny said:
But the possibility of Twilight Realm tear collecting making a re-appearance is a fucking buzz kill. So horrible.

Well at least you don't have to be the wolf and they're implementing design from Phantom Hourglass's puzzles which I thought were pretty fun. I can't explain how disappointing I was about seeing that tear collecting icon in the old trailer though. After knowing more about how they're handling that I really don't find it to be a problem anymore.

Anth0ny said:

Oh so I guess you didn't like Phantom Hourglass's stealth...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Amir0x said:
fuck you, Medalion. Skyward Sword is MY baby mama. No one treads on my territory. I even called making a gimpy official thread!

I WILL NOT HAVE NO FOREIGN COCKS IN MY SKYWARD...

...you know what forget that last bit.

And it better be good.

Top Bottom