• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS Now games available in open beta

This is hilarious, you can rent the mgs collection for 4 hours for $2.99

Just enough time to beat the whole series

/sarcasm

You can also rent it for 30 days for $11.99 which is cheaper than buying used. Say you buy it used for $15 and don't like it and want to trade it in, what will you get for it? $3-4?

The prices should definitely be a little lower, and the 4 hour option just needs to be axed. But I don't think they're as bad as everyone was making them out to be.

Valnen

Final Fantasy 13 is 7.99 for 30 days.

I've never played any FF games in my 30 or so years of gaming, but I've always been interested in trying. I've never seen one that cheap either in stores so to me this is a great price. I don't know what used game prices are like in the US. But in Canada, I'm ok with some of these PSNow prices. I really am.

Don't let FF13 be your first FF. If you have a PS3 get FFX:HD instead. Hell literally any other FF game would be a better first experience, and I didn't even hate FFXIII.

No it's not BS. Expecting to stream games for free is fucking ridiculous and Sony would be beyond idiotic to do so.
Ignoring the PS Plus aspect I mentioned earlier, I'm not asking for free games. I'm asking to stream the games I already own digitally so I can play them on my PS4. If they can't offer that, then it is BS and Sony can go fuck themselves..

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I'd be more interested in paying a certain rate (50 cents per hour, depending on the game)than this crap

Downhome

I think the prices for the most part seem very reasonable. Not the 4 hour ones mind you (I wouldn't use that anyways tbh), but for 7 days and a month, I could see myself renting quite a bit of games at the current price point.

No, it's not all bad. I guess this is ONLY a service for people without a PS3 any longer. If you have a PS3 you can flat out buy just about all of these games for less than the asking rental price. You may be better off in the long run just buying an old PS3 and just buy these games. Do I want to rent one for $14.99 for, say, 30 days or just own it flat out? Most of these games can be purchased BRAND NEW for less than the "rental" price of 30 and 90 days.

I dunno, it doesn't make much sense to me at all the way it's set up. I haven't followed this news at all. I was under the impression that it was a monthly or yearly fee and you could play like on Netflix or something. The entire rental deal, most of it, just seems very weird to me. That's all.

I would do it for certain games for sure, but I don't see nothing much here of value at all for me personally. I guess I'm not who any of this is aimed at though.

Valnen

Honestly this isn't an absolutely horrible deal if you don't have a PS3.

I'm so mad that my PS3 is dead right now and that this service isn't even close to an adequate replacement. Ugh. Just give me actual backwards compatibility, even if I have to buy a big attachment. Please.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I've never played any FF games in my 30 or so years of gaming, but I've always been interested in trying. I've never seen one that cheap either in stores so to me this is a great price. I don't know what used game prices are like in the US. But in Canada, I'm ok with some of these PSNow prices. I really am.

you're going to hate FF haha

I have a PS3. So ok, i'll make that my first. Thanks.

nvm ffx hd is solid

Kssio_Aug

You can also rent it for 30 days for $11.99 which is cheaper than buying used. Say you buy it used for $15 and don't like it and want to trade it in, what will you get for it? $3-4?

The prices should definitely be a little lower, and the 4 hour option just needs to be axed. But I don't think they're as bad as everyone was making them out to be.

Actually this 4 hours price may be more for a test, what actually makes sense. If you want to check out a gameplay but dont know if you intend to play it for long, then get the 4 hours option. If it was free of course people would "exploit" it, and if it was 1 dollar some small games would end up way too cheap maybe. I mean, 50 dollars for 3 months I think its too much, but 3 dollars for testing, I think its okay.

Ignoring the PS Plus aspect I mentioned earlier, I'm not asking for free games. I'm asking to stream the games I already own digitally so I can play them on my PS4. If they can't offer that, then it is BS and Sony can go fuck themselves..

Still don't see how it's BS.

You own the game on PS3, then go play on the PS3.
Your digital license doesn't come with free streaming.
The PS4 isn't backward compatible and you know this when you purchased it.

Streaming services still has its own cost, why would they provide it to you for free?

Downhome

Some of them don't even have the full range of options. For example, Saints Row The Third only has a $4.99/4 hours or $29.99/90 days. You can buy it for just over $20 on Amazon.

jwk94

Streaming services still has its own cost, why would they provide it to you for free?

That and if something's cheaper on the PS Store, you could just go to the web store, buy it, then stream it on PS Now. I really dont think we'll get any of our digital titles for free.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't be the only one that thinks that list is incredibly underwhelming.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.

Personally, at these prices is rather buy the game new and finish it at my own pace, than be in a hurry to finish 3 games in 30 days with the limited time I can put towards gaming

As far as hours, there should be a different strategy:

-first off, there shouldn't be differences in prices for certain games. For example, didn't final fantasy 13 come out after mgs4, yet it is somehow more to rent the latter than the former?

-there should be a day pass rate, week pass rate and a month pass, prices for each would be $2, $7 and $10 or so respectively, IMO

BadWolf

Don't listen to the haters and go in with an open mind.

Its my fave RPG of last gen and has one of the best battle systems in the genre.

And yeah, as a fellow Canadian I agree. There are no places to rent anywhere near me and renting on PS Now will be way cheaper than buying used.

As far as hours, there should be a different strategy:

-first off, there shouldn't be differences in prices for certain games. For example, didn't final fantasy 13 come out after mgs4, yet it is somehow more to rent the latter than the former?

Publishers set the prices for their games, not Sony.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Do you have any concept of the kind of logistics you're asking for though? It doesn't matter if you bought it digitally. Streaming rights aren't tied into digital purchases because it costs money to stream. Did you want unlimited streaming forever or something? It makes zero financial sense.

That said, some of these prices are crazy, others are alright. Service was really good when it was in private beta, very playable.

Mononoke

Banned
Oh wow, I loved Catherine. I've been wanting to play it again badly. How do I sign up for the beta, through my console?

It amazes me that people equate that as "free."

Wow. Some of you people will literally defend anything.

Do you have any concept of the kind of logistics you're asking for though? It doesn't matter if you bought it digitally. Streaming rights aren't tied into digital purchases because it costs money to stream. Did you want unlimited streaming forever or something? It makes zero financial sense..
Look, I understand what you're saying but as a consumer i don't give a fuck what it costs Sony to run this thing. That's not my job. I don't find this value proposition appealing so I will not be taking part in this service. It sounds like a ripoff and I hope it crashes and biurns.

Downhome

Oh wow, I loved Catherine. I've been wanting to play it again badly. How do I sign up for the beta, through my console?

That's one of the only games I'd even consider through this service. It can be beat pretty quickly, right?

This feels an awful lot like the WWE Network to me, haha.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God I wish this was on Sony smartphones as well, would be a cool way to play some PS3 classics I missed out on (By hooking it up to my PC monitor + headphones + a DS3). If DeS ever makes it on the service..............

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

FF13 is not the best entry point in the series. The game is OK but if you want a true entry into FF, go for FF7/8/9.

Mononoke

Banned
That's one of the only games I'd even consider through this service. It can be beat pretty quickly, right?

This feels an awful lot like the WWE Network to me, haha.

I've actually been kept in the dark about PS Now. I knew what it was, but really didn't pay attention to the details. Just pulled up Catherine on my PS4 (I guess PS Now is just apart of the store, cool)....

But damn, those prices! What sucks is, I'd gladly pay $20 to own it. I wish you could like..buy it, and then stream it whenever you want (like Apple does with iTunes digital purchases). I guess I'm weird like that. I just don't have a PS3 anymore. I have nothing against a rental system, but I still think they should give you the option to flat out buy the title (it would be a way around the b/c problem).

EDIT: Then again, there is a lot of titles that I pay for, beat and never touch again. So, even $7.99 for 30 days is pretty much to beat any title. So it's basically cheaper than buying a game used I guess (and I can't even use it on my new system anyways). SO eh.

ZeroCDR

Is Blazblue even playable?

I'd imagine offline would be workable, but that's entirely dependent on your internet connection and any existing lag from your HDTV. There's going to be a degree of input lag, could be a little, could be a lot.

Online? I wouldn't count it.

SerTapTap

There isn't a set price. That was just an example or a starting point. Each game is different since publishers set the price.

Yeah.

Interesting. I guess it's partly publisher's fault for the embarrassing pricing then (though everyone yells at sony). This is the first I've heard of it not being set by Sony. Well, I guess if most people only check out the games starting from $2 instead of $5 Sony will lean on the publishers wanting the higher prices.

From that blog you linked:

"Also, in a few weeks, you will start seeing reduced pricing on some 4-hour rentals which will appear at $1.99."

So in a few weeks, you'll start to see a $2 reduced price on some of the 4 hour rentals.

Wait ohhhh...I just say the comment and assumed "soon" was "when the beta launches" since it was about the Beta coming soon.

Your digital license doesn't come with free streaming.

Agreed. Some of the prices are ridiculous and it's not a service I would use often (if my internet can even handle it) but this is a completely new service for both Sony and publishers. People saying "WTF I can get this for ___ on Amazon" are missing the point. If you buy that from Amazon, you can play it on your PS3 natively. This is not only allowing you to play it on a system it's not meant to be played on, but it's using totally new streaming technology.

It really sucks that they aren't letting people stream games that they already own, but it is a different way of delivering the content to you that requires different resources.

Publishers are not going to hand over their titles and lose a bunch of money on a service that hasn't proven itself yet. And if no one goes for PS Now because of the prices, it could fail. We'll have to see I guess

Kssio_Aug

I just hope that they make a subscription service out of it. I cant see myself renting games regullary since I always purchase stuff on PSN with those credit PSN cards from Amazon. A subscription with a decent price would sell me though.

Interesting. I guess it's partly publisher's fault for the embarrassing pricing then (though everyone yells at sony). This is the first I've heard of it not being set by Sony. Well, I guess if most people only check out the games starting from $2 instead of $5 Sony will lean on the publishers wanting the higher prices.

Regardless, Sony takes a cut, so they're not completely guilt free.

GrayDock

If any Brazilian try it with a US PSN account, can please tell me how that worked out? Im curious to know about the input lag. I may try it myself later with a cheaper game.

I live in RJ (Net Virtua 30MB) and was in the "alpha" and couldn't even do the connection test that you have to do before playing any game....

I'll wait a little more before renting anything to see if there was any improvement to the network, otherwise I'll skip it.

Top Bottom