• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS Now games available in open beta

SerTapTap

Regardless, Sony takes a cut, so they're not completely guilt free.

Sony's probably who sets the minimum not maximum though, and $2 isn't bad. They're the ones who have to stream the bits, so even if the IP is completely worthless, Sony's gotta make back the money they spend to send dem bits.

That's one of the only games I'd even consider through this service. It can be beat pretty quickly, right?

This feels an awful lot like the WWE Network to me, haha.
You can beat it on easy fairly quickly (10-12 hoursish). The last few "nights" drag on a little. On medium or hard plan for potential Dark Souls levels of dying.

Doesn't the WWE Network have a 6-month contract requirement? Hulk Hogan told me so in a GAF banner ad!

I know what you mean in terms of sort of an unsettled feeling, but as long as the apparent goal is "charge people less than the price of a used game for a month which is usually longer than people will stick with one game" I can see this developing a bit of a niche. I'd put the recently-announced EA service to be more in line with the network thing.

Oni Jazar

Sony needs to put a test game there for free so people can see how the lag is from their system.

Sony give us Super Rub-A-Dub for free!

Sony's probably who sets the minimum not maximum though, and $2 isn't bad. They're the ones who have to stream the bits, so even if the IP is completely worthless, Sony's gotta make back the money they spend to send dem bits.

Given how the earlier beta had completely free stream games (certain indies), I would assume there is no set minimum.

Kssio_Aug

I live in RJ (Net Virtua 30MB) and was in the "alpha" and couldn't even do the connection test that you have to do before playing any game....

I'll wait a little more before renting anything to see if there was any improvement to the network, otherwise I'll skip it.

Really? Damn.. :/
I have the same connection as you, but Im from MG. Well, I guess I will wait for more future impressions then. But maybe its just not for us.

Sony needs to put a test game there for free so people can see how the lag is from their system.

Sony give us Super Rub-A-Dub for free!
There's an interesting idea for PS+... Have a monthly streamed game. They could open it up to more stuff (no "ownership" of the game after as a result) and it'd serve as a demo for PSNow.
that list looks like what you'd find in a bargain bin at wal-mart
They're obviously guarding some bigger and first-party stuff for now but it's still a respectable list of games. And you're sort of proving their point in the business model. You could be interested in a week or month rental for $10-20 because that's still cheaper than the Wal-Mart bargain bin.

Valnen

I'd imagine offline would be workable, but that's entirely dependent on your internet connection and any existing lag from your HDTV. There's going to be a degree of input lag, could be a little, could be a lot.

Meaning unplayable, since it's a fighting game. Not even sure why they'd put a fighting game on this service.

If Sony wants this pay-by-title business model to succeed, they (and the publishers of the games available in PSNow) need to realize that older games (think 2+ years) need to beat, let alone match, the going retail price. Otherwise, the convenience of digital streaming (which is not exactly confirmed at this point due to bandwidth caps, latency, etc.) will become decidedly less important than cheaper prices, even if that means buying something on eBay/Amazon or driving down to Gamestop.

It is readily apparent to me that the guys at Sony are not ready to make PSNow practical in terms of cost. I think this is going to stumble out of the gate, possibly never to recover unless Sony starts thinking like a customer.

Downhome

You can beat it on easy fairly quickly (10-12 hoursish). The last few "nights" drag on a little. On medium or hard plan for potential Dark Souls levels of dying.

Doesn't the WWE Network have a 6-month contract requirement? Hulk Hogan told me so in a GAF banner ad!

I know what you mean in terms of sort of an unsettled feeling, but as long as the apparent goal is "charge people less than the price of a used game for a month which is usually longer than people will stick with one game" I can see this developing a bit of a niche. I'd put the recently-announced EA service to be more in line with the network thing.

In comparing it with the WWE Network, I meant more in terms of the lackluster content (say what you will, but many consider the content on the network as lackluster), lack of things that one would feel should obviously be there, not enough details on everything, and then people complaining about it. The pay structure is obviously very different.

I just mean, something built up that doesn't appear to be as great as you would have imagined previously.

blamite

Nice, I can finally play MGS4! 30 day rental should do nicely for that.

Out of curiosity, can you get trophies in PS Now games? I'm assuming no? Nvm, I just noticed on the store that it says they do support trophies. Neat!

ShinMaruku

Part of whats being tested in the beta is the pricing structure so thats kind of the point to charge. Also why would you want it to fail, for the right price it seems like a great way to implement some backwards compatibility.

Because I am deeply mistrustful of the idea of games as service, none of the developers or publishers have the best idea of service.
For backwards compatibility they can use their great idea of Re-releases with more content, where actual work is more likely.

aquavelva

Here:

• Adventure time: Dungeon because I don't know
  • All Zombies must die
  • Alone in the Dark: Inferno
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Anomaly Warzone Earth
  • Back to the future- All Episodes
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Ben 10 Omniverse
  • Ben 10: Omniverse 2
  • Big Sky Infinity
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
  • Blazblue: Calamity Trigger
  • Blazblue: Continuum Shift
  • Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
  • Bloodrayne: Betrayl
  • Capcom Arcade Collection
  • Catherine
  • Chime Super Deluxe
  • Choplifter HD
  • Contrast
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Critter Crunch
  • Darksiders
  • Darksiders 2
  • Dead Island: Riptide
  • Dead or Alive 5
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Dead Rising 2: Off the record
  • Deadliest Warrior
  • Deus Ex: Human revolution
  • DiRT 3
  • Dragons Lair
  • Dynasty Warrior: Strikeforce
  • Dynasty Warriors 7
  • Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
  • Eat Lead: The return of Matt Hazard
  • El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
  • Enslaved: Odessy to the west
  • F1 2013
  • Farming Simulator
  • Final Fantasy 13
  • Final Fantasy 13-2
  • Galaga Legions DX
  • Greg Hastings: Paintball 2
  • Grid 2
  • GripShift v2
  • Guacamelee
  • Hamiltons great adventure
  • Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear
  • Hunters Trophy 2 America
  • Jimmie Johnsons: Anything without an engine
  • Just Cause 2
  • Kayne and Lynch 2
  • Killzone 3
  • Knytt: Underground
  • Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
  • Legasita
  • Lost Planet 2
  • Lumines: Supernova
  • Madagascar 3
  • Magician lord
  • Megaman 10
  • Megaman 9
  • Mercury Hg
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Metal Slug 2
  • MGS Collection
  • MTX vs ATV: Alive
  • Nascar 14
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
  • Oddworld: Strangers Wrath
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • Order Up!!
  • Overlord: Raising Hell
  • Painkiller: Hell and Damnation
  • Papa and Yo
  • Pixeljunk Racers: Second lap
  • Pixeljunk: Monsters
  • Pixeljunk: Shooter
  • Pixeljunk: Shooter 2
  • PixelJunk:Eden
  • Port Royale 3 Pirates: Gold Edition
  • Rainbow Moon
  • Red Faction: Armageddon
  • Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
  • Resident evil: code veronica HD
  • Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
  • Resident Evil: Umbrella chronicles
  • Ricochet HD
  • Rise of the Guardians
  • Rocket Knight
  • Rocketbird: Harboiled Chicken
  • Saints row 2
  • Saints row the third
  • Sam And Max- All Episodes
  • Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
  • Samurai Showdown
  • Shatter
  • Skyfigther
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
  • Sonic CD
  • Space Ace
  • Stick it to the man
  • Super Puzzle Figther 2 Turbo
  • swarm
  • Tales from Space: About a blob
  • Telltales Poker Night 2
  • Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
  • Twisted Metal (2012)
  • Urban Trial Freestyle
  • Way of the Samurai 3
  • Zeno Clash 2
  • Zone of the enders collection

This wont work for me. Please sort it by genre, then by release year.

sn00zer

You know what would be cool? Letting rentals stack until youve bought the game....basically fill up a bar at the bottom of each game you hover over indicating how much youve spent....once you get to a certain price you can keep it.

Mononoke

Banned
I guess I'll give Catherine a shot. I'm kind of curious how it will look on my 55 inch 1080p TV. I mean, the game is 720p native I think, so it will be upscaled + streamed....

urge26

Sony beta "cash grab".... would love to try this out on some crap game to just see what the experience is like and make a decision on a rental but I'm not going to throw out a few bucks to find out. Weren't there some free options on the closed beta?

jaxpunk

You know what would be cool? Letting rentals stack until youve bought the game....basically fill up a bar at the bottom of each game you hover over indicating how much youve spent....once you get to a certain price you can keep it.

Then what Sony is responsible for streaming that game to you forever since you paid 19.99 three years ago. Come on.

Why isn't there an app for this? I think having it on the dashboard taking you directly to that section of the store would be better.

Agreed. The pricing isn't great, but I am willing to give the system a shot. I'd just like to know if my internet can handle it before I fork over.

If Sony wants this pay-by-title business model to succeed, they (and the publishers of the games available in PSNow) need to realize that older games (think 2+ years) need to beat, let alone match, the going retail price. Otherwise, the convenience of digital streaming (which is not exactly confirmed at this point due to bandwidth caps, latency, etc.) will become decidedly less important than cheaper prices, even if that means buying something on eBay/Amazon or driving down to Gamestop.

It is readily apparent to me that the guys at Sony are not ready to make PSNow practical in terms of cost. I think this is going to stumble out of the gate, possibly never to recover unless Sony starts thinking like a customer.

Also agreed with this. The pricing on a few games is decent. The pricing on some other stuff (MGS4, Deus Ex, e.g.) are actually atrocious. Granted it'd be used, but I could get a copy of those games for similar prices to their rentals.

OuterLimits

that list looks like what you'd find in a bargain bin at wal-mart

Yeah, not very impressive list so far. Looking at the prices, I'm not sure how a subscription service would be that viable unless they charge an insane amount. Maybe Sony will figure it or just keep saying they are working on it and will discuss it later.

Or perhaps the games offered in the subscription part would be very limited and composed of mainly indie and other cheaply priced games.

Mihos

Gold Member
Wonder how long it will take for Time Warner to start charging Sony the Netflix tax.

Probably never since this will fail at these prices

Just rented BlazeBlue.

I have to say, I am really impressed.

I sat right in front of the TV because I had to charge my DS4, and you can see there's optimization artificating in the video, for sure. But it's not bad at all.

Gameplay was smooth and responsive. I didn't notice any lag whatsoever.

When I removed my DS4 from charging, and sat on the couch about 3 feet away from the TV, I couldn't see any issues at all with the image quality. It looked as if it was running natively.

Really great job by the Gaikai team.

The prices, however, are ridiculous. I ponied up the $2.99 for BlazeBlue just to satiate my curiosity with the PSNow service. But I won't be buying anything again with these prices.

The Senior Director of Playstation Now has answered a few questions in the PSNow Blog Post on the Playstation Blog! He just responded with these quotes just a bit ago.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/30/playstation-now-open-beta-our-journey-begins/

We are currently considering measures to offer original PlayStation, PS2 and PS4 titles in the future, but at this time, only PS3 titles are being offered.

Good news, we will soon have titles come to Open Beta starting as low as $1.99 for a 4 hour rental. Also, we’re working hard on the subscription offering – more on that later. No announcement yet on a PS Vita launch date but it is coming soon…

Glad to hear it. We’re working on the subscription and I’m excited to share more details when I can!

PSNow.jpg

I thought it would be a good idea to list all the games available in the PS Now beta.

• Critter Crunch

Y'all don't even know. Y'ALL DON'T EEEM KNOW! I wish this service wasn't so fucking expensive.

zychi

Banned
what are the chances that I can purchase a digital copy of MGS4 now? Will PSNow let me buy games? I don't care if I have to stream it or download it off PSN

Hmmm

I don't think Playstation Now is for me. I don't really see the point in plopping down money for individual rentals. I understand the idea behind it, but I can't find any logical reason to do it. Now, if they wanted to give me an option to pay an extra $10 a month on top of Ps Plus to have unlimited streaming, I could get behind that. The only reason I pay for Netflix is so that I can stream a movie or show when I have absolutely nothing better to do. There's no way I would go out of my way to rent anything. Sorry Sony.

I think this needs to be said over and over for people blaming Sony for these prices. This is the email sent to Beta Testers directly from Sony. It seems in every single PSNow thread people keep blaiming Sony for the PSNow prices.

ALSO, the email to give your feedback is in the quote below. Email them and voice your frustrations, vote with your wallet (as many of us will do). It is a beta, there is a long way to go, especially with the pricing structure, and ultimately the big deal breaker, getting the subscription service up an running.

Hi Private Beta Testers,

We just wanted to give you all a quick update on the next phases of PlayStation Now. As you may have heard, at our E3 Press Conference we announced that PlayStation Now will be moving into an Open Beta, first starting on PS4 system on July 31, 2014. We are excited to get PlayStation Now in the hands of all PS4 users - so there is a lot of excitement for July 31 to come around. If you didn't see our E3 trailer - take a look at it here.

Now it's time for Private Beta news. On 6/18 you will have seen a title rotation which includes a fresh set of games as well as the introduction of a preliminary pricing test.

Inside this first test, you will find a variety of rental prices and rental periods to choose from. These prices are ultimately decided on by the participating developers and publishers. Your feedback during this next phase of the Private Beta is extremely important, as we will be monitoring it closely.

PS. If you have a rental period in progress for a game that just got rotated out: don't worry! You will still be able to access the rental up until the end of its rental duration by finding the game in your "My Games" section.

Please give us your feedback in these Private Beta Forums or email us at nowfeedback@playstation.sony.com and help shape the future of PlayStation Now

Thanks, The PlayStation Now Team

Source

sn00zer

Then what Sony is responsible for streaming that game to you forever since you paid 19.99 three years ago. Come on.

Streaming no, but get a download or something...oh forgot this was a PS4 thing nvm

EDIT: The N64 at a Best Western is the perfect analogy looking at the beta as it currently is

Not really interested in the service anymore, but I'll be more than happy to give feedback on the kinds of prices I'd need to see to get me to use it.

I see this ultimately as a bet on being viable in an unpredictable future (especially in Japan) by Sony, as well as a bullet list item to wave in front of stockholders trying to show that the company is still committed (for better or worse) to adding value to it's TV and phone divisions

Top Bottom