• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Titanfall 2 maps and modes DLC will be free

Bydobob

Best news I could've hoped for. Will ensure a healthy community for much longer than TF1, and faster and better matchmaking.

Wow, this is great !

I was gonna buy Titanfall 2 anyway but this news makes my purchase even better and doesn't split the community. Everyone wins with this move !

Falchion

It's made Halo 5 multiplayer god tier. Glad that TF2 is following that. If BF1 does this, it'll be a golden age of FPS games.

I can't even imagine how awesome it would be if BF1 did this too. It gives the game such legs and doesn't split the player base.

Plus I go back to Halo 5 all the time even though I don't play it regularly just to see the new stuff.

I like this trend. Should've always been this way.

So what games have done/are doing this so far?

Killzone
Splatoon
Halo 5
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Driveclub (tracks)

VariantX

Cmon bf1 follow this trend please, sick and tired of splitting up communities and having nobody playing new maps after couple of weeks.
This. It's a waste of money in the long run if no one is playing on the content youre selling if everyone sticks to vanilla for reliably populated games.

legacyzero

Banned
I've really been enjoying this DLC model quite well. Halo 5 and Siege have done it amazingly.

I'm totally cool with cosmetic and weapon variant F2P elements

And the best part: The community stays together, and the game stays active longer

OH SHIT, BOMBA!

But yeah Respawn seems to have learned from TF1 that it was a bad idea, their DLC packs split the community badly on PC which was the final nail in the coffin for it.

Zomba13

So will they be selling us random boxes of bullshit that are just cosmetic or will it be weapons and attachments and titan weapons and boost cards etc?

I like this trend. Should've always been this way.

So what games have done/are doing this so far?

Killzone
Splatoon
Halo 5
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Driveclub (tracks)

Rainbow 6
Rocket League
Uncharted 4

Battlefield and Call of Duty are way too big to do something like this unfortunately. Yet Call of Duty insultingly slaps both cheeks by having map DLC...and slot-machine weapon AND cosmetic DLC behind microtransaction.

So pay for cosmetics then? Fine by me. Selling maps fractures the community and selling weapons and perks is just garbage. This is a good compromise and seems to be where a lot of current games are going.

Pretty awesome. I'm sure they'll explore other revenue options, but it sounds like Rockstar's massive financial success with GTA Online has influenced this.

They did this for BFBC2, but look at Battlefield now. Its nice, but I don't think they learned anything except maybe it helps build your franchise.

Yep, and I think Titanfall really needs it to help build up and solidify a solid community on both consoles and PC. With Battlefield they have the historic benefit of Battlefield technically always doing expansion packs/map packs, so a lot of the veteran players are familiar to the business model anyway. BC2's free map packs were necessary to draw in newer console players into the franchise, and give them a reason to choose BC2 over MW2 at the time.

OK then, game is back in my radar. Wasn't as hyped after what happened with the PC community, but this can only help keep it healthy.

Cels

at the 1 year anniversary for titanfall EA gave away all the maps for free, but the game was pretty much dead at that point (on PC). i hope TF2 doesn't suffer the same fate

Great news. Hopefully with this and PS4 being on board, the game will have longer legs than its predecessor. TF1 was fun, but after a month the servers were pretty dead. You could only find players in a couple of playlists and it would get old fast.

Now awaiting confirmation on paid cosmetic stuff, I guess?

Keasar

yes_carrey.jpg

Too bad they probably aren't gonna apply that to Battlefield. Double-so when DICE-LA (the CTE side and supported BF4 after DICE-DICE dropped it) has complained in various channels about Premium fucking up the playerbase.

*For everything that isn't Conquest

DICE (and by proxy: DICE-LA): "WUTS OTHER MODES BESIDES CONQUEST THO!?"
Reason why I'm not hyped in any way for BF1932
with Hardline, even CQ was pretty dead.

it's crazy how i can actually play other modes again now that they made some map packs free on BF4/BFH.

really hoping against all odds that they take notice.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm glad companies are finally realizing paid map packs and modes really hurts your overall userbase by splitting them up. Just charge for character skins and other such things, no one really cares about things like that and they dont negatively effect the base game.

jgf

Sounds great! They are on a very good way to get my preorder money - and I rarely preorder anything.

mcz117chief

excellent, I am glad to see that map packs are becoming a thing of the past. I will gladly pay for skins and such through micro transactions but dividing the player base is just bad however you look at it.

Top Bottom