• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

vireland

Lindsay said:
Assuming ya get the sales data let us know when they hit the 20/30k marks!

Of course you won't get actual numbers, but I will definitely let it be known that the base marks have been exceeded. Like I said in another thread, if these two games can't hit those kind of numbers on PSN with a $5.99 price point, none of the other stuff I want to put up will, either.

But I think they will. Arc (PS series) and Alundra are great games.

I3rand0

Just wanted to say I just bought copies of both Arc and Alundra. Thanks again Vic!

Order Number 1860467933

Date/Time Purchased 10/12/2010 @ 07:26 PM Total Amount $11.98

Item / Service Details Price (Dollars)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UP9000-NPUJ01224_00-0000000000000001-UG01 Arc the Lad (PS3™/PSP(R)) (295 MB Required) $5.99

UP9000-NPUJ00553_00-0000000000000001-UG01 Alundra (PS3™/PSP(R)) (318 MB Required) $5.99

Sub Total $11.98
Tax $0.00

stolin

I lost my original copy of Alundra in a moving box/truck somewhere back in time... I just picked up the PSN release.

I finished it back in the day and will do it again now! I hope the game still stands up to my memories.

I played through most of Arc the Lad 1 recently and it felt really difficult in some battles. Just wondering if anyone knows if the difficulty was upped compared to the JP release (or if there were any notable changes). I remember the import being easier. Although I did play the import Arc 1 a long time ago so my memory might just be foggy.

Anyway, buying both right now! :D

vireland

GrumpyAlien said:
I played through most of Arc the Lad 1 recently and it felt really difficult in some battles. Just wondering if anyone knows if the difficulty was upped compared to the JP release (or if there were any notable changes). I remember the import being easier. Although I did play the import Arc 1 a long time ago so my memory might just be foggy.

Anyway, buying both right now! :D

I don't think we changed the difficulty on Arc I. It's a pretty easy game. Maybe you were just under leveled by one or two levels? that can make a tough slog throughout if you don't get ahead of the curve.

Thanks for the support!

Teknoman

For some reason Alundra really reminds me of something you'd see on the Sega Saturn...or even Genesis. I'm getting a Shining Force vibe from it...

Not sure if i'm going to really get into it now (still finished up Ys 7) but so far, it looks and sounds really nice. The boat music is pretty relaxing.

EDIT: Reminds me that Legend of Legaia needs to hit PSone classics at some point as well.

vireland

Teknoman said:
For some reason Alundra really reminds me of something you'd see on the Sega Saturn...or even Genesis. I'm getting a Shining Force vibe from it...

Not sure if i'm going to really get into it now (still finished up Ys 7) but so far, it looks and sounds really nice. The boat music is pretty relaxing.

Wait until about two dreams in when things really start to break loose and it becomes completely addictive.

Aeana

Teknoman said:

Alundra is kind of a spiritual successor to Landstalker, so that may be why.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I have disc copies of both games but I'm thinking about buying them both on PSN just to support future releases. Not so much for the previously NA released games, more for the previously untranslated ones. I have disc copies already of most all of the WD games I care to play, I think; key missing piece would be the Lunar games, and I'm not sure if I still have Vanguard Bandits, but other than that I've got a pretty good set.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm loving the presentation of Arc. It reminds me of old Genesis/SNES RPGs. Hasn't aged too bad and looks good on my 19" Monitor/HDTV. So... :D

Need to sit down and start it tomorrow. The translation isn't too bad, but I think there is a few character limit/trunsactions at the start that made me scratch my head a little.

Macstorm

Man, I love both of these games, even though Arc 1 is short. With Arc II coming, I'm guessing that PSN can handle save data transfer, right?

Teknoman

Macstorm said:
Man, I love both of these games, even though Arc 1 is short. With Arc II coming, I'm guessing that PSN can handle save data transfer, right?

Since the PS1 virtual memory card works the same way as a normal PS1 card/with normal PS1 saves, i'd think there would be no trouble in transferring data

I just got both games. So happy to finally play Alundra. Also I was wondering if anybody was thinking about localizing Tales of Graces as a PSN title. Things from that leaked Sega document seem to be coming to fruition.

Phenomic

Host Samurai said:
I just got both games. So happy to finally play Alundra. Also I was wondering if anybody was thinking about localizing Tales of Graces as a PSN title. Things from that leaked Sega document seem to be coming to fruition.

What was this said document about?

Yuripaw

Banned
It's tempting to get Alundra because of reading all the hype people on gaf have for it right now, but I know I shouldn't. I had the game literally sitting on my shelf for years and never played it. I don't wanna have it sitting on my virtual shelf doing the same thing. lol I hate being such a compulsive buyer.

Teknoman

Yuripaw said:
It's tempting to get Alundra because of reading all the hype people on gaf have for it right now, but I know I shouldn't. I had the game literally sitting on my shelf for years and never played it. I don't wanna have it sitting on my virtual shelf doing the same thing. lol I hate being such a compulsive buyer.

Personal rule for me is to snag an RPG or any game I think will be rare in the future. If you've already got the game...dunno if you should buy it twice. Of course you could buy the PSN version and sell the disc version.

Yuripaw

Banned
Teknoman said:
Personal rule for me is to snag an RPG or any game I think will be rare in the future. If you've already got the game...dunno if you should buy it twice. Of course you could buy the PSN version and sell the disc version.
Oh i don't have it anymore, it had been sitting for so long that I eventually sold it when I needed some money, that's the only reason I was considering getting the PSN version. I'd just hate to have it sit there again, and never play it.

Alundra looks spectacular on the PS3. I don't know if it's the upscanning, smoothing, or what, but it looks like a hi-res Chrono Trigger. Barely played this back in the 90s and can't wait to get into it for real this time.

I'm hoping that other company brings over Silhouette Mirage on the import label.

vireland

Has anyone tried Alundra on the PSP? Any problems with the PSP controls when doing the (jumping) puzzles? I don't think there would be, but some have asked and I don't have the answer to that because I haven't done it myself.

Hobbun

Bought Alundra, will do so with Arc 1.

Still have both on disc, but did so for support and to have more games released!

Thanks Vic!

Dave Long

Banned
I was trying to get Alundra on my PSP last night but needed to update the firmware before doing so and that slowed me down enough that I ran out of time.

I'll try it tonight, Vic.

Dragon

Banned
vireland said:
Has anyone tried Alundra on the PSP? Any problems with the PSP controls when doing the (jumping) puzzles? I don't think there would be, but some have asked and I don't have the answer to that because I haven't done it myself.

I have the original PS1 disc and was able to convert it and played years ago on the PSP. From what I remember none of the jumping puzzles were any worse than when I played it on the PS1.
Damn those lizardmen!

LaneDS

Purchased Alundra, won't be playing it for a while, but good to have it back in the collection. Never finished it back on the PS1, but I will this time. And try to get all those damn Golden Falcons or whatever they were.

vireland

Hobbun said:
Bought Alundra, will do so with Arc 1.

Still have both on disc, but did so for support and to have more games released!

Thanks Vic!

Thanks to you and all the rest for the support!

vireland said:
I too have the original WD releases and I plan on buying the PSN versions too. Vic, what's the time frame you're looking at for both games to meet the sale mark that green lights future WD PSone games. I just want to be sure I purchase them in the time frame you need.

I specifically want, no, need Arc the Lad 2 on PSN.

I didn't realize it was Monkey Paw that was releasing these games, interesting.

They've sure been on a roll lately, I'm liking them more and more every week.

I already own these but if these help Vic, I'll buy them again. Can I buy them on playstation.com and then download them to my psp? It's got CFW so I can't use the store on it. I think you can for psp games but I just want to make sure PS1 releases.

Edit: Wait, can you not buy stuff on playstation.com?

Edit2: Nvm, you just use the Media Go thing to buy stuff.

Oh wow! Alundra is from Matrix Software. I had no idea they were around for this long!

Looks like this was their first game.

And yeah, I just picked it up! :D

So far, I'm impressed. It really does look pretty good and still holds up well like Chrono Trigger.

By the way does this have a over-world map like Zelda that I can explore?

Ranger X

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Oh wow! Alundra is from Matrix Software. I had no idea they were around for this long!

Looks like this was their first game.

And yeah, I just picked it up! :D

So far, I'm impressed. It really does look pretty good and still holds up well like Chrono Trigger.

By the way does this have a over-world map like Zelda that I can explore?

Of course there's one. And even more complex than Zelda.

Ranger X said:
Of course there's one. And even more complex than Zelda.
Sounds good. But how vast is it? Does it give off that sense of exploration like the over world in Zelda games?

I'm finally out of the village and although there's some exploration, it doesn't seem like it's a large world.

I'm really liking the game though.

hsukardi

vireland said:

Vic, you should hit all the Alundra/Arc fan websites and get them to distribute the news.
Especially for Arc, since that will pay off for the sequels.

Chris R

How do these games hold on on current CFW? Still pissed my copy of FFVIII is only playable on my PS3 as of now.

And if you could, post a single youtube video for each game to convert someone who knows nothing about either game (me) but is interested into someone hopping on PSN to buy the games right away.

Alundra still holds up well and it's really fun. The writing is obviously a little corny, but that's expected with old classic games like this.

The gameplay is top notch. Why can't Matrix Software make games like this anymore? It'd be nice if they make an Alundra 3 for the DS.

vireland

hsukardi said:
Vic, you should hit all the Alundra/Arc fan websites and get them to distribute the news.
Especially for Arc, since that will pay off for the sequels.

Some of that's being done already. I gave Game-rave.com a picture of the missing 9th Alundra CD label that was never used and unseen until now. Guy did a crazy-good job documenting the WD variants for all the titles we did on PS.

vireland

One funny thing I noticed when looking at the recommended games connected to Alundra was an obvious typo on Legacy of Kain that seems to have been there for over a year. It says:

"Kain is out for vengeance and nothing but blood will shake his thirst."

Which makes no sense at all. I think they meant to say "slake" because that makes sense and is relatively close to "shake". Funny it's been there for a year with no correction.

DiscoJer

vireland said:
One funny thing I noticed when looking at the recommended games connected to Alundra was an obvious typo on Legacy of Kain that seems to have been there for over a year. It says:

"Kain is out for vengeance and nothing but blood will shake his thirst."

Which makes no sense at all. I think they meant to say "slake" because that makes sense and is relatively close to "shake". Funny it's been there for a year with no correction.

There was a similar mistake in the game Planescape: Torment. Except there it was "slating" instead of "slaking".

Dave Long

Banned
Vic, I had enough time to play until after the first adventure into a dream early in the game and so far everything is cool on PSP. Controls are suited to the platform and it looks great on the PSP screen. There is some blurring when running around in areas where it's dark or there are black/brown walls, but that's just the PSP screen, not the game. (I have a PSP 1001 unit.)

I'll be playing through the game on this platform so if I hit anything obvious, I'll mention it here.

I really love the character design. Would be great to see Matrix bring this look back to either handhelds or consoles again. Also, strong soundtrack so far.

Finally, I love 2D hand drawn artwork. *sigh*

vireland

Dave Long said:
Vic, I had enough time to play until after the first adventure into a dream early in the game and so far everything is cool on PSP. Controls are suited to the platform and it looks great on the PSP screen. There is some blurring when running around in areas where it's dark or there are black/brown walls, but that's just the PSP screen, not the game. (I have a PSP 1001 unit.)

I'll be playing through the game on this platform so if I hit anything obvious, I'll mention it here.

I really love the character design. Would be great to see Matrix bring this look back to either handhelds or consoles again. Also, strong soundtrack so far.

Finally, I love 2D hand drawn artwork. *sigh*

Thanks for the report. That black smearing really drives me nuts, too. Popolocrois was awful because of it. Do the newer PSP screens do it, too?

theosi

Grabbed Alundra. I'd always heard good things about it and never got around to playing it. Shame on me. Having a fierce internal struggle about whether or not to pick up Arc the Lad. Don't really feel like playing it again, but now out of nowhere I miss cutting up people with Tosh.

DonMigs85

vireland said:
Thanks for the report. That black smearing really drives me nuts, too. Popolocrois was awful because of it. Do the newer PSP screens do it, too?
Not so sure about the 2000, but the 3000 and Go are free of that issue.

Dave Long

Banned
The PSP really shouldn't have had that smearing/blurring issue given how much it cost. I hope Sony learned that lesson once and for all with this device and any future portables don't succumb to it.

I've quickly become so enamored of the PSClassics being playable on PSP that I think I need to invest in a bigger Memory Stick. :)

One thing I really dig on PSP is being able to suspend and come right back in where I left off. Sure beats saving and reloading all the time, though obviously I'm saving when I can. I'm not playing in any of the stretched modes either. This game looks best in the original aspect ratio.

Is the PSP doing straight up emulation? There's no PlayStation chip inside the PSP is there?

Haha... took a look at the Wikipedia article on PSP and it's mildly hacked up...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_hardware

The PSP was designed by Template:Boxcar for the Sony Computer Entertainment subsidiary of Sony Corporation. Early models were made in Ms. Vitale's Drafting 1 class but in order to cut costs, Sony has farmed out PSP production to non-Nazi manufacturers, mainly in Guatemala.

HUGE BOOGER Requires D+ batteries and a waffle

See also
Nasal Hemorhage
Macabre
Kraft Mac and Cheese

Eccocid

I remember Alundra as a very difficult game. with very difficult puzzles lol. Maybe i wasnt clever enough but i was stucked in a puzzle at 2nd dream and few months later i restarted again and i couldnt progress haha. Also i remember that mine cart gave me a headache.

I will buy it this weekend and will finish it for sure! I was so bored with this gen flashy games, something like ALundra is what i need now!

Hey Vic. Congrats on finally getting there with these two! I've always wanted to play them :D

I was wondering what MonkeyPaw's involvement is in this deal exactly? I would've thought that there wouldn't be any problems regarding it's US PSN release since you already own all of the rights to Working Design's works.

Surely it would simply be a deal between you and Sony? (would Matrix be involved as well?) Or did Sony need some convincing perhaps and Monkeypaw helped in that respect?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vireland said:

Nope, I beat the Ancient Shrine dungeon in my PSP.

Although I do notice some flickering problems on the bottom left portion of my screen every time I save. Apparently this is also a problem in my Grandia digital copy too (maybe it's my HDTV?). No flickers on the PSP though.

Top Bottom