• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vireland said:
Well, now you're being silly for the sake of consternation. I was talking about games that never made it over in the first place. I have a wishlist and some of it's already in talks. We'll see what happens. Monkeypaw's been a great ally in this.

Hopefully it goes well! Are you guys limited to unlocalized PS1 games or are you guys also planning to include unlocalized PSN/PS3 games?

vireland

ULTROS! said:
Hopefully it goes well! Are you guys limited to unlocalized PS1 games or are you guys also planning to include unlocalized PSN/PS3 games?

The current focus is PS1 games, but there have been broader talks related to that, so we'll see how this goes and proceed from there.

B.K.

Is there any chance at all that you might put Vanguard Bandits on the PSN? I sold that game years ago when I really needed the money and haven't been able to find a copy anywhere.

Glix

vireland said:
The press releases isn't out yet, but I got word that it is official that Alundra and Arc the Lad will be on PSN next Tuesday for $5.99 each. It's been a long road to get these up, but we finally made it! There are others in the pipeline behind these, so as long as the sales are good, we'll work to keep putting more up.

(Sorry, Europe. SCEE is still on the fence on offering Alundra due to Psygnosis being involved because their European version is based on the WD English version. It's a little complicated, but hopefully the strong US PSN sales will help us move them to offer this in Europe as well. As of right now there's no European PSN release.)

Alundra_box_tiny.jpg
arc_logo.jpg

Over the years, most of my PS1 games were stolen. I still have my Silhouette MIrage, in pretty pristine condition, as I could not let packaging that beautiful be harmed in any way.

I love you guys, and will be downloading both of these.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hopefully, MonkeyPaw picks up Dodonpachi for the PSN.

vireland

B.K. said:
Is there any chance at all that you might put Vanguard Bandits on the PSN? I sold that game years ago when I really needed the money and haven't been able to find a copy anywhere.

It's on the list and we're moving in that direction, but that one is complicated (they ALL have complications) by the fact that Human bit it and the rights to the IP were theirs. It's being untangled, and I think it will work out, it just takes (what else?) time.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
vireland said:
I was talking about games that never made it over in the first place. I have a wishlist and some of it's already in talks. We'll see what happens. Monkeypaw's been a great ally in this.
Vic, please tell me you, MonkeyPaw or the combined team are eying Zanac x Zanac. <3

I'm buying Gaia Seed and Alundra tonight over PSP to support both of your efforts.

ULTROS!

Lunar 2 is totally out of the question right?

I'm annoyed that I lost the 2nd disc so even if I can play it, I'll never be able to complete it. :(

Glix

ULTROS! said:

I'm annoyed that I lost the 2nd disc so even if I can play it, I'll never be able to complete it. :(

Is that the "One Hundred Million Degrees, TAKE THAT!" game? Or is that Grandia?

ULTROS!

Glix said:
Is that the "One Hundred Million Degrees, TAKE THAT!" game? Or is that Grandia?

Grandia

vireland

ULTROS! said:

I think I have a loose 2nd disc. PM me your address and I'll send it if I actually have it.

EDIT: I definitely have one. It's the Lucia art Disc 2. PM your address and I'll send it as long as you promise no more excuses to not completing it. :)

ULTROS!

vireland said:
I think I have a loose 2nd disc. PM me your address and I'll send it if I actually have it.

EDIT: I definitely have one. It's the Lucia art Disc 2. PM your address and I'll send it as long as you promise no more excuses to not completing it. :)

Sent, and I'll do an LTTP thread for it too.

Dave Long

Banned
Given the poor job Sony has done with getting PS1 games onto their service, anything else you can get up there is 100% welcome. I've got RayStorm and RayCrisis, but I never did get Thunder Force V, so obviously that would be a top choice. :)

Also, every time there's discussion of PSOne Classics, it burns me up that Einhander still isn't available on there. *sigh*

gaohx

Will be buying Alundra for sure. I cherish my WD Arc the Lad Collection to this day! Just wish I would have gotten it when they had those watch pre-orders going (I was later to the party).

How about Hermie Hopperhead? Loved playing that crazy chicken headed boy back in the day :)

Aru

I would like to buy Arc the Lad, but I'm pretty cautious about buying these old school RPG. Because most of them haven't aged well (see Wild Arms 2), and if I didn't play the game before, there is no nostalgia factor to make me play the game. And even if I did play it back then, I may not enjoy it as much (see Grandia).

Maybe Arc 2 then.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aru said:
I would like to buy Arc the Lad, but I'm pretty cautious about buying these old school RPG. Because most of them haven't aged well (see Wild Arms 2), and if I didn't play the game before, there is no nostalgia factor to make me play the game. And even if I did play it back then, I may not enjoy it as much (see Grandia).

Maybe Arc 2 then.

So you're not a retro gamer, noted.

Next post.

Dave Long said:
Also, every time there's discussion of PSOne Classics, it burns me up that Einhander still isn't available on there. *sigh*

And yet, it's been up on Japan PSN for TWO FUCKING YEARS NOW.

Fucking Square and SCEA. :|

Aru

TheSeks said:
So you're not a retro gamer, noted.

Next post.

I am. But some old games aren't meant to be played these days.
I bought some PS1 classics and VC games. I enjoyed most of them again, like I did at the time I first got them.

I enjoyed Alundra as well this year.

androvsky

I assume that even with the collaboration with MonkeyPawGames, Alundra and Arc the Lad aren't going in the PS1 imports section, right?

I was talking about games that never made it over in the first place. I have a wishlist and some of it's already in talks. We'll see what happens. Monkeypaw's been a great ally in this.

Sakura Wars 1&2 for the PSP! You know you want to spend three years translating all that...

Seriously though, I'm more interested in more text-heavy games, so I'm guessing the answer is "let's see how these do", right? Are Saturn games possible? I know Sega used to have a decent Saturn emulator for simpler games, but I don't know what the current status is.

vireland said:
I haven't given up on Goemon yet.
Thank you! Some of my favorite gaming memories over the past 19 years has been Goemon related, even if the localized versions have been few and far between.

I'm excited for these PSN releases, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up on my pre-3.21 firmware just to download these. It'll be a cold day in hell before those 1s and 0s are written over.

I'm all over Alundra. Played it as a kid and just recently put it in my Want queue at Goozex. I will have you tonight and be able to play it on my psp. Wonderful news.

vireland

gaohx said:
Will be buying Alundra for sure. I cherish my WD Arc the Lad Collection to this day! Just wish I would have gotten it when they had those watch pre-orders going (I was later to the party).

You may get a second chance with the promotional giveaways for Arc on PSN. :)

vireland

Aru said:

Maybe Arc 2 then.

There's a huge chunk of Arc 2 you don't get if you don't complete the 50 level dungeon in Arc 1 and transfer your save into Arc 2. Arc 1 has aged just fine, much better than the PS1 polygon games.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've been popping into the PSN every five minutes looking for these. Never got the chance to play the Arc the Lads so AtL1 will be new to me. Alundra is a kick ass amazing game, though.

I needs these. Update the damned PSN, already!!

TheSeks

Gattsu25 said:
I needs these. Update the damned PSN, already!!

Uh, they're up via search. If you checked Kass's weekly PSN store update thread, you'd know this.

I'm installing Arc now. :D

Is this on EU PSN aswell or just US?

I remember two of my mates were Pro Alundra and I was a "fuck no Zelda>Alundra" and it would go back and fourth for weeks :lol

TheSeks

Johnlenham said:
Is this on EU PSN aswell or just US?

I remember two of my mates were Pro Alundra and I was a "fuck no Zelda>Alundra" and it would go back and fourth for weeks :lol

No. US only unless sales are good.

vireland

Johnlenham said:
WHAT!
Hows the sales affect a digital copy of a game that's something like 10 years old? fucking PSN.. :(

It's a rights issue since Psygnosis was involved with the European release based on our localization. SCEE doesn't want to mess with it (all the necessary licenses) unless the US sales are strong on our release of it here.

vireland

AdroitOne said:
OT, hey Vic, what happened to the forums on the sunsoft site?

My year with Sunsoft was up and they decided they had enough of a start to continue on their own. I transferred the site and the in-progress business to them, but they didn't keep the forum. Dunno why, seems like bad mojo, but not my responsibility now. I left the door open to them if they want more help in the future, though. We'll see.

vireland

stupei said:
It's been too long since I played it to remember, so maybe someone else can tell me: are Alundra's controls well suited to the PSP?

I haven't played it on the PSP, so hopefully someone who gets it will offer an opinion. I think it should be fine except for some of the jumping puzzles, but those are difficult with a regular controller, too.

TheSeks

vireland said:
It's a rights issue since Psygnosis was involved with the European release based on our localization. SCEE doesn't want to mess with it (all the necessary licenses) unless the US sales are strong on our release of it here.

So basically, Johnlenham, you should buy two copies. The US version and the EU version after telling your friends to buy the US version and EU version as well. ;) :lol

Erdrick

One of the few games I've ever sold was Alundra. I needed the money and was desperate at the time for cash, so I made the mistake. I have very fond memories in January 1998 of exploring Alundra and as such, I always describe the game to curious people as "The Best Zelda game not by Nintendo on a Sony system." (I have since had to revise this statement since Okami's release to "The Best *2D* Zelda game not by Nintendo on a Sony system.")

Seriously, anyone who even remotely likes Zelda should give this a shot. At the price, it's basically highway robbery that we consumers are getting away with. The music, the actual challenging dungeons and even the story are all top-notch. I remember being exhausted after beating the game some 13 years ago around, since the dungeons can be merciless from what I recall. I bought Alundra off of PSN just a few minutes ago and it's still just as beautiful to look at now as ever. I don't have much time to devote to it right now, but I'm honestly very happy that I've been given the chance to play this again.

THESE are the types of games I want on PSN. I know there are logistical and legal hurdles that are larger and longer than even the lengthiest of a typical Working Designs release date/delay of days gone by, but for those who do manage to get the real good PS games up for DL, you have my sincere thanks.

Thanks Vic, and everyone else who worked hard to get these games to us here in North America. I really appreciate your efforts.

Top Bottom