• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

Akibared

Going to be my first purchase!
o0kpB6F.png

Mudron

I'm poking around the "Legacy Systems" category and having a hard time finding items that'll ship to my American address that I've used on Amazon.jp for books before.

At least the item description will tell you whether or not the item being sold by the featured seller will ship to your default international address right on the front page/item description before you even try to throw it in your cart.

Things I found and couldn't have shipped: boxed Super Famicoms, boxed copies of Super Mario Bros for the Famicom and the brand new Pokemon GB anniversary reissues.

Eolz

Just so people know, unlike other amazon stores, you can't use your amazon global account due to japanese laws. However, you can perfectly create a new one identical to your other global one for less confusion.

aeolustl

The pre-order doesn't seem to work but the ones that has been released seems to work.

The amazon jp account is separate from the other amazon account such as the us and ca ones.
I really want to say thank you, but my wallet is screaming right now :p

Damn, man. I know I made this amazon.jp account sometime in the last 3 years, but I've lived entirely too many places and had too many phone numbers to pass their three step security check for a password change.

I wish they had a unified account system like US and EU amazon's have.

Philippo

Gonna try and order Setsuna when summer comes, the price seems good.
Does it have a fixed price for international shipping?

My main thoughts are:
-Shipping costs? I recall them being pretty high for books last I checked
-Is there any way to pre-pay the import duty like amazon.com offer? I really don't like having my package in the UK and held to ransom by taxes (fine) and a handling fee (piss off, Royal Mail with your £8 these days is why I was soured from imports in the first place and I hear most couriers are worse than that, it is silly when this greatly exceeds the tax cost and I as a citizen am not allowed to fill out the declaration forms).

Otherwise, I still remember a time prior to I think it was 2003 when they did this.

LiK

Just so people know, unlike other amazon stores, you can't use your amazon global account due to japanese laws. However, you can perfectly create a new one identical to your other global one for less confusion.

hm, ok. it's been so long that i don't remember doing this. but yes, you can make an identical account with no issues.

TreIII

After some initial flubbing about with setting up the one-click, I now have my preorder for JP Pokken all ready to go.

Gaogaogao

"Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order."

boooooooo trying to buy puyo puyo tetris ps3 in usa

I hope amazon jp sorts this out, someday it could be amazing.

wiibomb

No more dealing with the stupid lesser companies who can't do shit with a simple order.

Really nice. No more failed Monster Hunter importing.

Mudron

FYI, it seems that a lot of game soundtrack CDs are eligible for international delivery (specifically, I'm looking at Nintendo soundtracks CDs, including the Splatoon soundtrack).

"Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order."

boooooooo trying to buy puyo puyo tetris ps3 to usa

I hope amazon jp sorts this out, someday it could be amazing.

If it's anything like amazon uk, sometimes games still don't ship outside of local... almost guaranteed to not ship to the US if it's from a 3rd party seller and not fulfilled by Amazon, and that likelyhood increases for older releases vs fresh releases. Can't really hold it against just the jp site.

LiK

FYI, it seems that a lot of game soundtrack CDs are eligible for international delivery (specifically, I'm looking at Nintendo soundtracks CDs, including the Splatoon soundtrack).

yea, music and movies are fine. i imported those from them before. it's the games that were locked down before.

Well it's certainly nice to have this as a last resort for some tough to find items, but assuming the postage is the same as they've always used for books (i.e. ridiculously expensive, no value markdown, sent via courier) for regular games you'd be far better off buying from CD Japan or Nippon Yasan instead.

tiijj

Can someone explain how this is a good thing for someone who doesn't speak/read Japanese?

You get access to games that's only available in japan, some of the games are easy enough that you can play and navigate through the game without actually knowing how to understand japanese.

wiibomb

Can someone explain how this is a good thing for someone who doesn't speak/read Japanese?

Have you been ever interested in something that is available only in japan? That's the deal.

The fire emblem fates OST, the splatoon artbook, the exclusive games, etc etc..

Monster Hunter games usually come about a year later hear in America (well, MHX is comming pretty fast) and I can play them fine without knowing japanese

Danchi

There are lots of types of games (rhythm games, 2D shooters, fighting games, etc.) where language skills aren't needed outside of some basic menu navigation.

KyleCross

So, are there actually any Japan exclusive games that has English voices/subtitles? I'm gonna assume probably not. There's a bunch of Japan exclusives I'd love to play, but can't cause I gotta understand what's going on.

Acosta

I tried some GBA stuff for those sweet, sweet boxes, but nah, go home gaijin.

I got burnt out of importing stuff in PS2 era, sadly I couldn't muster the will to learn Japanese as I wanted.

LiK

looks like its like figures on their site. some are restricted depending on the makers/publishers. but hey, better than nothing.

Top Bottom