• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

As a firm Sony supporter this wont matter much. other than exclusive titles everything will just be dumbed down for the lowest common denominator anyway. It pains me to admit it but console gaming in general slows progress. If everything could be made for bleeding edge hardware we'd be much farther along as far as ai and interactivity.

This is next gen:
alqu9l.gif

There needs to be more of this type of particle effects in games.

As a firm Sony supporter this wont matter much. other than exclusive titles everything will just be dumbed down for the lowest common denominator anyway. It pains me to admit it but console gaming in general slows progress. If everything could be made for bleeding edge hardware we'd be much farther along as far as ai and interactivity.

LOL at this. so everything should be like crysis? amazing visuals that less than 1 percent of the market can run for years?

and as for "lowest common denominator" that's never happened.

was the snes held back by Genesis games? was the ps1 held back by the 3D0, Saturn, or jag? were ps2 games held back because of the DC? were ps360 Ports gimped because of the Wii?

MARKETSHARE is what matters, not the lowest common denominator. if one platform has 3/4ths of the market, then that platform leads.

Gestault

I'm actually interested if the self-publishing policies by both companies could mean a third-party entity could create a benchmark which could run on both platforms and give solid performance comparisons, even if it was sort of a one-off experiment with no commercial value aside from maybe the novelty of it.

Imagine if 3DMark created a demo which game solid apples-to-apples comparisons. I want those apples.

prwxv3

Lol move engines.

It's hilarious when the move engines, eSRAM, GDDR5 latency, ect is brought up to try to make the Xbone as powerful or close to PS4.

MARKETSHARE is what matters, not the lowest common denominator. if one platform has 3/4ths of the market, then that platform leads.

Not always. What's easiest to work on leads. When making multiplatform games, we knew the Wii would be the top selling version, but we still did all our work on the 360 because fuck working on the Wii. It was a pain in the ass.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ok not 100% fixed ..but pretty much ..si

in fact is what xbox one use

and 4 move engine (that ppl seem to forget) r there just for this reason

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. #truthfact ;-P

TheKayle

Banned
Yawn... Buzzwords you don't understand...

Virtual Addressing

All GPU memory accesses on Durango use virtual addresses, and therefore pass through a translation table before being resolved to physical addresses. This layer of indirection solves the problem of resource memory fragmentation in hardware—a single resource can now occupy several noncontiguous pages of physical memory without penalty.

Virtual addresses can target pages in main RAM or ESRAM, or can be unmapped. Shader reads and writes to unmapped pages return well-defined results, including optional error codes, rather than crashing the GPU. This facility is important for support of tiled resources, which are only partially resident in physical memory

Durango has no video memory (VRAM) in the traditional sense, but the GPU does contain 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM). ESRAM on Durango is free from many of the restrictions that affect EDRAM on Xbox 360. Durango supports the following scenarios:

Texturing from ESRAM

Rendering to surfaces in main RAM

Read back from render targets without performing a resolve (in certain cases)

The difference in throughput between ESRAM and main RAM is moderate: 102.4 GB/sec versus 68 GB/sec. The advantages of ESRAM are lower latency and lack of contention from other memory clients—for instance the CPU, I/O, and display output. Low latency is particularly important for sustaining peak performance of the color blocks (CBs) and depth blocks (DBs).

Vestal

Gold Member
There is a post in this thread that Microsoft should somehow punish AMD for saying this. How are they going to do that? Not give them a cut of that Surface action?
I don't think anyone said they should. I came out and said that they could if they decided to. How it wouldn't be smart to piss off a monster.

like I stated the dark side of MS is not a pretty one or ethical one. Look at how they pushed Netscape out of the market. Its not a company you want to piss off. Apple is another one you don't want to piss off.

Not always. What's easiest to work on leads. When making multiplatform games, we knew the Wii would be the top selling version, but we still did all our work on the 360 because fuck working on the Wii. It was a pain in the ass.

and you did your work on 360 because 360 had the sales to justify it.

if ease of programming was all that mattered then PC would lead every single time.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Virtual Addressing

All GPU memory accesses on Durango use virtual addresses, and therefore pass through a translation table before being resolved to physical addresses. This layer of indirection solves the problem of resource memory fragmentation in hardware—a single resource can now occupy several noncontiguous pages of physical memory without penalty.

Virtual addresses can target pages in main RAM or ESRAM, or can be unmapped. Shader reads and writes to unmapped pages return well-defined results, including optional error codes, rather than crashing the GPU. This facility is important for support of tiled resources, which are only partially resident in physical memory

Durango has no video memory (VRAM) in the traditional sense, but the GPU does contain 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM). ESRAM on Durango is free from many of the restrictions that affect EDRAM on Xbox 360. Durango supports the following scenarios:

Texturing from ESRAM

The difference in throughput between ESRAM and main RAM is moderate: 102.4 GB/sec versus 68 GB/sec. The advantages of ESRAM are lower latency and lack of contention from other memory clients—for instance the CPU, I/O, and display output. Low latency is particularly important for sustaining peak performance of the color blocks (CBs) and depth blocks (DBs).

Copying text from http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-gpu-2/2/ without understanding it. At least, you could have marked it as a quote. Otherwise, people might think that you are being disingenuous.

I haven't been blown away by anything on the PS4 or Xbone until now.

Wow.

I'd more give credit to the talent and creativity of the developer, rather than the power of the system for this. For example, jrpgs are no stranger to doing amazing things with particle effects.

Erasus

yawn..virtual memory addressing...problem fixed....boring

lol specs are 4 nerds xD

ok lets put int his way

cpu to esram check
cpu to ddr3 check
gpu to esram check
gpu to ddr3 check

virtual memory table on top

problem pretty much fixed think what u want

Virtual Memory has been in use on PC for YEARS. This is not just virtual memory.

And comparing launch titles? lol

QaaQer

So now Level 1 AMD support guys have access to heavily NDA protected documents about PS4 tech ... it makes sense to me ... and of course they can answer any question about that tech

within 15 minutes. AMD has insanely good customer service, no wonder they are going broke.

Freki

Virtual Addressing

Texturing from ESRAM

And where does this text you copied from here state that the GPU and the CPU can access the same ressource?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Lol move engines.

It's hilarious when the move engines, eSRAM, GDDR5 latency, ect is brought up to try to make the Xbone as powerful or close to PS4.

While this is all true we just haven't seen it at least not overwhelming enough for people to agree something clearly looks\performs better than the other.....................comparisons CANNOT come soon enough to put these arguments to bed.

Second son is doing a lot more then Ryse

Well, of course it is. Welcome to different game design priorities :)

I still think Ryse's singleplayer looks superior, though. That said, Infamous Second Son, to me, is the single most impressive thing I've seen on the PS4. Some games simply can't be properly compared to one another because of the fact that they're doing such vastly different things, but there's no denying how amazing Ryse looks graphically.

There needs to be more of this type of particle effects in games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrG7Km2iVE#t=15s

:D

Audiences matter too. The Nintendo audience do not buy third party games much.

essentially the same thing as marketshare, really. the Wii sold a lot of units, but third party games sold terribly.

lead platform is usually determined by where most gamers are likely to buy the game, not by what's weakest (dreamcast) or easiest to program (anything but the ps2).

Top Bottom