• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Fan At Ryder Cup Heckles Europeans, Called Out To Putt For $100, Sinks It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

American Fan At Ryder Cup Heckles Europeans, Gets Called Out To Putt For $100, Sinks It

ojmu3ass3b2guiine8oj.jpg

There was tension between the Americans and Europeans at the Ryder Cup thanks to Danny Willett’s brother, but one American heckler in the crowd may have smoothed things over during today’s practice at Hazeltine National Golf Club.

Team Europe’s Henrik Stenson heard the jeers of David Johnson, a fan from North Dakota, and pulled him out of the crowd to make a putt. Justin Rose sweetened the deal with $100, right next to the ball. Rory McIlroy hugged Johnson after he made it:

Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press caught up with Johnson afterwards, who sounded like he was still trying to process what had just happened. “I closed my eyes, swallowed my puke, and hit the putt that happened to go in, so that was cool,” he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0fj0a-ZNEg
youtube link removed

video here:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/ryd...deo-rory-mcilroy-henrik-stenson-made-putt-100

Here's more :
American Fan at Ryder Cup Heckles European Players, Then Out-Putts Them

The Ryder Cup had not yet started.

But when an American heckler found himself with the opportunity to sink a putt that had flummoxed a group of European professionals during a practice round on Thursday, the rivalry at the biennial competition got an early start.

The heckler, David Johnson of Mayville, N.D., had been lobbing criticism at Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland and Andy Sullivan of England as they missed repeated attempts at a 12-foot putt during a practice session at the Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minn.

Johnson, expressing a common sentiment from couch-bound golf fans, yelled to the group of European golfers that he could have made the putt. So Henrik Stenson, the reigning British Open champion and a member of the European team, pulled Johnson from the crowd and gave him a chance to do just that.

As Johnson, clad in bluejeans, a red pullover and a baseball cap, weighed which of the pros’ putters he wanted to use, chants of “U-S-A” broke out among the spectators.

He was lining up his shot when Justin Rose, the fourth member of the European team present, jogged out to the green and upped the ante, laying a $100 bill beside the ball.

It was Johnson’s turn to be heckled.

“No pressure,” a member of the crowd shouted.

Johnson did not appear to feel any. Wasting little time, he hit the ball cleanly, sending it straight into the hole.

He later said that he had been “freaking out” but added that he had known he would make the putt.

The crowd roared as Johnson gave an enormous fist pump and solicited hugs and high fives from the appreciative professionals.

“The boys were cupping out, missing it low,” Rose told the BBC. “And this guy just ripped it into the middle. Fair play to him.”

Tenebrous

Haha, good on him. Thankfully he won't be there to stop us winning our fourth in a row. Sorry, America.

I know nothing about golf. America could have already won for all I know.

Lunar15

Been a lot of shit talking surrounding this year's Ryder Cup. For some context, there was an article written by the brother of Danny Willett, this year's Master's Champion and member of Team Europe. You can find it here: http://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/2016/09/27/pete-willett-i-aint-partisan-hes-my-brother/

Here's an excerpt, where Pete dishes a hot take on US fans:

Team USA have only won five of the last 16 Ryder Cups. Four of those five victories have come on home soil. For the Americans to stand a chance of winning, they need their baying mob of imbeciles to caress their egos every step of the way. Like one of those brainless bastards from your childhood, the one that pulled down your shorts during the school’s Christmas assembly (f**k you, Paul Jennings), they only have the courage to keg you if they’re backed up by a giggling group of reprobates. Team Europe needs to shut those groupies up.

They need to silence the pudgy, basement-dwelling, irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream ‘Baba booey’ until their jelly faces turn red.

They need to stun the angry, unwashed, Make America Great Again swarm, desperately gripping their concealed-carry compensators and belting out a mini-erection inducing ‘mashed potato,’ hoping to impress their cousin.

They need to smash the obnoxious dads, with their shiny teeth, Lego man hair, medicated ex-wives, and resentful children. Squeezed into their cargo shorts and boating shoes, they’ll bellow ‘get in the hole’ whilst high-fiving all the other members of the Dentists’ Big Game Hunt Society.

Sick golf burns for days.

Nialrot

USA! USA! USA!

YouTube link says its been removed and doesn't work for me

LOL! I haven't seen this version yet.

Outstanding work.

Serious note, all that pressure for a random in the gallery to make that putt is unreal.

This is why the Ryder Cup is the best sporting event. Can you imagine if the NFL just pulled someone from the stands to try a chipshot field goal during the Pro-Bowl? Even in a meaningless game, they'd never do it. Golfers? "Yeah, fuck it, let's bring out someone from the stands to just take a putt during an actual professional event!" And then he makes them all look bad and they APPLAUD HIM for it! Fucking great. Those guys are class acts all the way.

oti

Banned
Americans literally get rewarded for being douchebags.

I mean he did deliver in the end. And tbh I rather have this outcome (with all the dumb USA posts) than the guy missing and becoming the big idiot of the week. Social Media would've been savage if he missed.

kottila

This is why the Ryder Cup is the best sporting event. Can you imagine if the NFL just pulled someone from the stands to try a chipshot field goal during the Pro-Bowl? Even in a meaningless game, they'd never do it. Golfers? "Yeah, fuck it, let's bring out someone from the stands to just take a putt during an actual professional event!" And then he makes them all look bad and they APPLAUD HIM for it! Fucking great. Those guys are class acts all the way.

It was during a practice session.. the real issue are the obnoxious patriotic american who can't behave, applauding when Europeans miss putts even in todays round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom