• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGA Tour 2016 |OT| Tour Wars: Revenge Of The Spieth

Status
Not open for further replies.

brerwolfe

I was watching Lowry on the range and dude just didn't look comfortable at all. He kept cursing at himself after hitting a shot, then he'd walk away for 20 seconds and come back to set up.

I don't know what his normal routine is, but most guys show up 60 minutes before their tee time. Lowry showed up 45. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if you normally show up at a certain time and you're late, I'm sure it can fuck with some things.

I'm sure it's messing with some of these guys having to come in early to play 4 or 5 holes and then coming back again late afternoon. I dunno.. just some observations.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The whole "I shanked my ball but there's a temporary structure to bail me out" rule is complete garbage.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe they wasted that opportunity with a "How did you win 18 majors?" question. What a bland waste of time during such an opportunity.

Joe Buck ask a bland question? No!

I can't imagine what's going through Dustin Johnson's mind if he winds up getting a penalty stroke assessed here after having a rules official give him the okay earlier.

What

They aren't going to review the stroke now and tell him during the round? He has to play the rest of the round with a phantom penalty?

Either give him the fucking stroke or don't

cogent

Banned
It's only a conspiracy if it causes him to go into a playoff and he loses. He can negate the penalty by continuing to play like a fucking champ, so let's work on that.

It's still shitty. You may reach on a hole, not lay up, if you know you need another stroke.

They should have made the decision then and there.

I imagine they probably are going to give him the penalty, but this is playing out in such a weird way.

Instant replays and video reviews have ruined sports

You can't keep on taking these fucking sports with rules from decades before the invention of instant replay and video reviews and go with it. Human perception and real time is how we play sports.

Reviewing a catching motion has made football worse
Reviews in baseball fucking suck
Offsides in hockey being reviewed is not the spirit of the rule
Now I'm watching the US open possibly ending in this clusterfuck because we have a stupid slow motion hi-def replay of a one second motion.

Kifimbo

MSjv0oy.png

ojGdDX7.png

Lowry got lucky there to stay out of the bunker. This is going to end up tied, but there will be no playoff because DJ will get penalized in the end. I'm predicting that finish

This sort of thing has been going on in golf for decades.

It used to be that fans would call in penalties to the rules officials, who would then assess them after the fact and then assign additional penalties to the player for signing incorrect score cards due to penalties that were assessed after the round was already over.

cogent

Banned

Nope. As TV tech improves you HAVE to review these things. Before the fans in the stands, the officials and the fans watching TV wouldn't see that. Now people see it on TV and they can't just wave it by because nobody else saw it.

bluehat9

What's funny is that the announcers were praising the rule change earlier. If it were still the old rule, he would just have had the penalty stroke when it happened. Why you would want to add ambiguity to the rule book I don't know.

But they cant give the penalty until they show him the video to get his opinon on it? And I don't know who ultimately decides of its a stroke or not? Like if johnson says I didnt make it move can the official just say "too bad, penalty"? if so, why do they care about him seeing the replay?

Nope. As TV tech improves you HAVE to review these things. Before the fans in the stands, the officials and the fans watching TV wouldn't see that. Now people see it on TV and they can't just wave it by because nobody else saw it.

yep I'm fine with that. Players need to adjust and not practice their stroke millimeters from the ball just to be safe

Kifimbo

Woah, Fox publishing a tweet saying the USGA is "amateur". Ballsy, since the US Open is their only golf tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom