• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods will premiere on April 30th on Starz [Up: New trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy SHIT that fucking trailer.

Also, if the show itself opens the way the book opens, people unfamiliar with the source material are going to lose their fucking minds.

Tobor

The guy playing Shadow. Ehhhhh.

Plus I've read the book and...ehhhhh.

Hopefullly they fix the books many problems.

Purkake4

Banned
Holy SHIT that fucking trailer.

Also, if the show itself opens the way the book opens, people unfamiliar with the source material are going to lose their fucking minds.
At least this is one case where I won't be mad if they change a bunch of stuff from the book. Just take the concept and do whatever Fuller wants with it.

ZFGccPE.gif

MrS

Banned
Ricky Whittle's come along way from Dream Team.

This show looks superb and I can't wait for it to start.

Purkake4

Banned
The opening of that book seems like something Fuller would want to adapt as faithfully as possible, though.
Yup, I meant the general plot outline. You can change it around quite a bit and not really mess anything important up as long as you hit the important notes along the way. I guess that's the beauty of a single book instead of a long ass series.

hydruxo

okp66FD.gif

I don't know man, he'd have to be nothing like his usual self for me to stomach that.

Book spoilers:
he gets a blowjob from Shadow's wife in a car while Shadow is in prison and they both die in a car accident. So if imdb is right and he's actually in all episodes than it would have to be flashbacks most likely.
The character is meant to be a douche so Dane fits the bill.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
New trailer is a lot better than the last one, this one actually shows the whole god aspect of the show.

okp66FD.gif

I don't know man, he'd have to be nothing like his usual self for me to stomach that.

Before a show premieres, imdb is often wrong. With this show, someone seems to have added all major characters as regulars where they auto appear in all episodes.

For example, there are only 10 episodes, not 8.

Also, Dane Cook is fairly perfect for the character of choice.

The opening of that book seems like something Fuller would want to adapt as faithfully as possible, though.

According to SXSW,
it doesn't open with that.

You're right
Bryan Fuller said:
We plan to deliver that moment as it is written, because I believe that we can, and that’s very exciting for us because we were breaking that story and thinking, we are just going to lift that right out of the book and drop it right into the show. That came up in the Starz meeting, they were like, ‘how are you going to do that moment?’ and we said, ‘we’re going to do it exactly as written’.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/07/american-gods-bilquis-photo-starz-yetide-badaki

Apt101

I'm tempering my expectations. The book was so good, and the scope so epic, I'm not going to let myself be let down. As long as it's entertaining I'll be happy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Series in the American sense, so multiple seasons. Man, I knew somebody would mention Neverwhere...

Are we even sure this isn't all covered in one season?

edit: Never mind, according to Wikipedia this initial season only covers 1/3 of the book.

During an interview with Neil Gaiman on June 24, 2016, he discussed plans for future seasons of the show beyond the first, should it be continued, and noting that the first season only covers the first third of the novel. The second season is intended to cover the Lakeside section of the novel, and "a big pivotal thing that happens to Mr. Wednesday" will likely be a season finale for either the second or third season

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If this doesn't get a full adaptation I'll riot.

Seriously.

RIOT.

In Fuller we trust

Dude made a Hannibal show that rivaled and surpassed the movies

absolutely not. Silence of the Lambs is still king by a large margin.

he definitely did a better job than I expected though seeing as it was NBC and he had to follow up a hannibal after Cox and then Hopkins iconic performance.

dude brings cool visual style to his shows, this looks cool.

jiiikoo

Banned
I just ordered the Folio Society edition of the book and can't wait to get to read it and watch the show, looks good.

Illucio

Banned
SOON.

Can't wait. Loved the book. I hope Gaiman hurries up with the sequel, hopefully the short stories can help put together future seasons. Can't wait to see the Internet God.

hydruxo

tumblr_omvip7Wwnb1vfg7u3o1_540.gif

I'm looking forward to Crispin Glover as Mr. World. I feel like I haven't seen him in anything in ages but I think he's going to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom