• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: American Gods Is Going to Be Your Next Must-Watch Fantasy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

Yesterday at SXSW in Austin, Texas, a packed house gathered to worship gods that will beat you up, get you drunk and sex you into oblivion. If the first episode of the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved novel American Gods is any indication, the masses will be showing up to give their love again and again.

The screening of American Gods began with a video message from Gaiman, who wasn’t in attendance. The award-winning author expressed his excitement at producers how Bryan Fuller and Michael Green translated the 16-year-old novel for series television.

Whittle does a good job of communicating the quiet, roiling unease inside of Shadow as his life falls apart around him and surreal dream sequences generate a sense of foreboding that teases potent. He plays well of McShane, recreating the wary odd-couple dynamic between the two characters. Yetide Bataki imbues Bilquis with a weary sexiness that seemed appropriately ancient and dangerous. The sonic backdrop for the shows leaned heavy on blues and jazz, intertwining the two American musical forms around scenes of tragedy, fisticuffs and trickery.

As to be expected for a premium cable ongoing series, this version of American Gods has been slathered in blood and sex-sweat. But the original iteration of this story had bodily fluids aplenty, too, and the pilot still harbored the literary mythological underpinnings that generate the symbolism and meaning crucial to Gaiman’s successful endeavors. In a Q&A session that followed the screening—snippets of which can be found below— Fuller remarked on the changed political landscape, saying “we are now telling massive immigration stories in a climate that vilifies immigrants.”

Orlando Jones, late of Sleepy Hollow, will be playing African trickster god Mr. Nancy and talked about the excitement and responsibility he felt at playing a character that invoked the cunning that the African slaves needed to survive after being bought to America into slavery. He also freaked out hilariously after seeing the Bilquis scene. “I just saw a woman suck a whole man into her vagina. I’m not ready.” He and the rest of the world will have some time to prepare their sacrifices and burnt offerings. American Gods premieres on Starz on April 30th.

Way more at the link. Send me to America if old.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It's an adaption of Neil Gaimans best novel. I was in from the moment it was announced.

Ian McShane only cemented my need for this.

I'm one of those weird Gaiman fans who doesn't really like American Gods. But I am interested in the show, as I suspect I'll enjoy it in this format.

16-years, damn.

I remember when a friend of mine in publishing lent me a copy before it was in distribution in my country.

Didn't know they were making this, who is playing
Baldur
and
Odin
?

Just thought on to edit in spoiler tags, soz.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
April 30th, can't wait!

My birthday! Really need to give the book a re-read, I have a signed copy at home that I just haven't been able to bring myself to go through since the first time around. I enjoyed it a lot, and it's a great story, but there were a few story beats that made me feel pretty uncomfortable at the time. I think I'm ready for another go around though.

This, and Good Omens getting adaptations is fantastic stuff.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was introduced to Gaiman through Anansi Boys (which I really enjoyed) and followed that up by reading American Gods.

I've been looking forward to this show for a while.

caliph95

Guess i should get around reading Anansi Boys after liking AG couple of years ago
keep_calm_and_submit___by_621chopsuey-d6983ru.png

Corpekata

Banned
I am amazed they did the Bilquis scene, figured it would be something either too hard to do or deemed too silly in a visual medium. So they must be going all out.

LewieP

I love that Jeremy Davies is cast in this as Jesus. An actor I once described to someone as "that guy from Lost who looks like Jesus".

He's probably one of my favourite actors. He's phenomenal in Justified, Hannibal, Helter Skelter and Rescue Dawn. Glad to see Fuller reunite with him (and Gillian Anderson & Jonathan Tucker).

Rest of the cast is strong too. Ian McShane, Peter Stormare, Emily Browning, Crispin Glover. I don't like Dane Cook at all but eh.

I like Anansi boys a lot, but AG is so much more..expansive? BBC definitely picking the one that's an easier adaptation for them to make without a huge budget there.

And I like a AG but Anansi boys is much more fluid and engaging. I get what your saying AG definitely as a bigger chance for a visual showcase especially with fuller at the helm, but novel to novel, I don't think Gaiman ever topped Anansi Boys (didn't read all of is kid novels yet).

I need to read American Gods again.... Right now.

I only read it a few months back but there's so much I've forgotten but that trailer is aweeesome and looks quite true to how I imagined things.

Please tell me it's got a UK deal

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The trailer was pretty meh but the description of the show and what it's about sounds pretty damn cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom