• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

American Gods, mkay

Maybe there's a different battle waged in other parts of the world. Like maybe in some parts of Europe, a British deity is doing a Brexit from the European pantheon.

...so maybe there's another Odin in Europe? :thinking emoji:

Cuz there's loads of Jesuses.

I had a point somewhere, I swear :3

Turin

Banned
This definitely felt more like a mid season finale. Kinda bummed because I feel like a lot of these characters arcs were only just starting to get juicy. Shadow's character arc has barely gotten off the ground.

Another round of applause for Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy. Fucking brilliant in his minimal screen time.

... don't look too closely at the 'logic' of the Gaiman's Gods. If Media (TV, Internet etc) are New Gods, I'd like to believe that there's a old God of Books/Libraries somewhere encouraging knowledge acquisition. But the mechanics of why we have these new Gods is always loosely defined and their powers are what's convenient for plot especially book ending spoiler
when they reveal who Mr World really is

How about them Medicine. People deify modern medicine like whoa. How is they not a player. And I'm not talking about people praying to Christian / Islamic gods for when you have terminal illnesses, I'm talking about people just popping pills of all sorts to medicate themselves, for example. Bacchus would be a close self-medicating self-indulgent deity, wouldn't he?

Pretty solid finale---anime as all hell, in a good way, towards the end there and with the Odin reveal. Who got eaten in the temple orgy....just some....guy? If there was a subtle reference in his transformation it went over my head this time.

Shoot, they should roll this concept into an anime, adapt it to different regions---It Just Works.

Looking forward to season 2.

Ensirius

I'm so tired of rotting Laura, and the whole maggot thing literally made me gag. I hope there's still a way to fix her next season cause that alone can turn me off from the show.
Glad I am not the only one.
I really hope they fix her soon in season 2.

I got two questions:

- Does Odin need Shadow to have faith? What am I missing here? Why does he need Shadow?

- What was the whole everything plan dies thing that the goddess did?

Thanks!

How about them Medicine. People deify modern medicine like whoa. How is they not a player. And I'm not talking about people praying to Christian / Islamic gods for when you have terminal illnesses, I'm talking about people just popping pills of all sorts to medicate themselves, for example. Bacchus would be a close self-medicating self-indulgent deity, wouldn't he?
If you watch the shows opening sequence you'll see there's pills around a Buddha statue.

The main story just isn't particularly compelling right now. I much prefer the side stories featuring the random gods and tidbits of mythology - I honestly don't think I'd mind if the entire series was an episodic anthology where each episode focused exclusively on a different god's journey to America.

To me it's Sweeney/Laura fuckery >>> side stories >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wednesday/Shadow stuff. Hannibal remains Fuller's masterpiece. A first season to first season comparison really doesn't work out in AG's favor.

DeviantBoi

To me it's Sweeney/Laura fuckery >>> side stories >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wednesday/Shadow stuff. Hannibal remains Fuller's masterpiece. A first season to first season comparison really doesn't work out in AG's favor.
I liked Hannibal's first season, but after that, I felt Fuller's visual style became pretentious. It didn't fit the narrative and got in the way of the story, in which I was interested.

Here, it feels perfect. These are Gods - not an FBI agent and a serial killer, mere humans - and the visual style helps illustrate their powers and stories.

AG >> Hannibal for me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

American Gods reminds me of Hannibal Season 3. For better or worse.

I'd probably rank the stories the same as you. As a book reader, I'm not overly concerned with getting to the finish line. And I've quite enjoyed the show exclusive content. Although I do think American Gods sometimes undercuts the impact of moments with how unfocused it can be. Like in the season finale, I loved Bilquis' backstory. But the last moment with her on the bus didn't really hit as hard as I think they wanted it to. I get the significance and was still like "Okay..."

American Gods, mkay

Maybe there's a different battle waged in other parts of the world. Like maybe in some parts of Europe, a British deity is doing a Brexit from the European pantheon.

...so maybe there's another Odin in Europe? :thinking emoji:

Cuz there's loads of Jesuses.

I had a point somewhere, I swear :3

Kind of little spoiler:
yes, of course there are also multiple Odins. This one story began in episode one, when the vikings came to America. At the end of the book, Shadow meets another Odin in Europe.

TankUP

Rip bunnies.

If only they served a Goddess who could resurrect them. ;)

--I'm not understanding Bryan Fuller's obsession with Laura Moon's character. She's gotten more exposition than every other character combined and for what? So we could learn that she's spoiled and selfish? We already knew that.

Because she's the character who had the biggest arc of the season? Shadow was basically befuddled and laconic until the finale; Laura went from someone who felt like an empty shell and didn't value life; and now she IS an empty shell and realizes she does value life. She went from taking Shadow for granted to realizing how deeply she loves him. Chopping one story into five seasons means they have to find narrative through-lines for each of the season, and for this season one of the things they did was show Laura's character growth.

My biggest problem though was the fact that Easter can just decide to... turn off spring. For at least 500 square miles, since it hit from Kentucky to Wisconsin. Like, holy shit! If she has that kind of power living off of scraps, why would she have ANY skin in the game? What more can she gain? I think that's the only recurring problem I have with the new stuff they're adding... it gives a LOT of power to the gods, which introduces more than a handful of "why don't they just use their god powers to fix things?" plot holes.

I believe Easter was only able to do that because Odin dedicated those deaths to her. Sacrifice has power; it juiced it her up and made her remember what it felt like to be worshipped; not merely subsisting on crumbs from Jesus' plate.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If only they served a Goddess who could resurrect them. ;)

Because she's the character who had the biggest arc of the season? Shadow was basically befuddled and laconic until the finale; Laura went from someone who felt like an empty shell and didn't value life; and now she IS an empty shell and realizes she does value life. She went from taking Shadow for granted to realizing how deeply she loves him. Chopping one story into five seasons means they have to find narrative through-lines for each of the season, and for this season one of the things they did was show Laura's character growth.

I believe Easter was only able to do that because Odin dedicated those deaths to her. Sacrifice has power; it juiced it her up and made her remember what it felt like to be worshipped; not merely subsisting on crumbs from Jesus' plate.

And the sacrifices themselves were superpowered Mr. World agents.

Monocle

I liked Hannibal's first season, but after that, I felt Fuller's visual style became pretentious. It didn't fit the narrative and got in the way of the story, in which I was interested.

Here, it feels perfect. These are Gods - not an FBI agent and a serial killer, mere humans - and the visual style helps illustrate their powers and stories.

AG >> Hannibal for me.
Hannibal Season 3 is where the visuals (and sound design) arguably become overwrought. I still like them, but they are noticeably more heavy handed.

Season 2 is absolutely flawless with the sole exception of the court episode. The visual presentation is in perfect harmony with the themes and narrative. In Season 2, Hannibal truly comes into its own.

For all its visual pageantry Hannibal S2 is grounded by its nuanced characterization. Like the first season, each murder tableau is a commentary on facets of Hannibal and Will Graham's relationship, and the visuals have an intentional thematic logic (e.g. water representing aspects of Will, namely his overstimulated mind and empathic abilities). However, S2 was able to go fully serial, in place of the case-of-the-week format that constrained much of S1. Its singular focus on character development allowed for enhanced interconnections between events and themes, so that as Will cleaves closer to an understanding of Hannibal's mind, and by necessity his own inner darkness, the visual presentation ramps up in tandem. Each descriptive element of the show is appropriately modulated according what's going on in the story.

So far American Gods hasn't displayed the careful orchestration of story + presentation that Hannibal achieves. AG S1 unfortunately takes Hannibal S3's excesses and runs with them. I'm enjoying American Gods a lot, but make no mistake: Hannibal is in a different class. AG is very in your face and on the nose with the characterization and atmosphere. It paints in neon.

Paganmoon

book spoilers:

So I don't really recall anything about Gods moving? Wasn't it always just American versions of the different Gods/faiths? So far we've seen Bilquis and Mad Sweeney "migrate" from their original location though.
Not really in the "people bringing their faith over with them, and creating an American version"-vein I recall from the book. I suppose the Ifrit is another one that's "migrated"?

Nancy's actor was so familiar, then realized, holy shit last thing I saw him in was Evolution. Really liked the actor back then, and he's doing great here, surprised I haven't seen him in much else.

And holy shit, Jeremy Davies as Jesus is so perfect (they could've done a better job with the beard though). They've really nailed the casting on this show.

zeemumu

If everyone's perception of Jesus is a separate Jesus, was there a Jesus walking around in a tuxedo shirt because it says that He wants to be formal, but also He's there to party?

That was an awesome episode. I enjoyed finally seeing the gods let loose and the conversation between Jesus and Shadow was cool.

And the sacrifices themselves were superpowered Mr. World agents.

Yes, a big sacrifice made in her real name, and in her day (remember?) can be quite a boost.
and isn't it the plan Odin have to himself? 😉

zeemumu

Media's been secretly manipulating the Thor films to be some of the least popular among the Marvel movies, and straight up removing Odin at the end of the 2nd film to weaken Wednesday.

This is a weird fucking show.
I agree with the poster that previously compared it to the third season of Hannibal as that one was where the visual characteristics of it were heightened to an absurd amount. I mean, I love Fuller's style, but he's got one major problem. The man doesn't know how to get out of his own ass. I enjoy visually imaginitive scenes as much as the next guy, but Fuller doesn't realize that pumping the episodes up with them doesn't make them better. A nice visual is nothing without a meaning behind it, it's basically the show's equivalent of popcorn. Actually scratch that. The whole season is popcorn. Sure, there's some subtext over the themes of belief, religious worship and purpose, but none of them are very well developed. Neither are the characters. What did Shadow do, or say to make me care for him? He had one good scene, the one with the Jesus in the finale. What's the point of Bilquis? She's a main and yet has no more than a few appearances throughout the season. Her arc literally has no point, there's nothing happening there other than some pussy eating. Same about Media, Mr. World, Technical Boy and Czhernobog. Their introductions didn't even feel like they had some purpose, might as well have shown them only in a scene or two hinting about them. Laura and Sweeney are literally the only ones that got some sort of development, and I have to force myself to care about Laura.
Look at the cast list. How many of these people had any significant to the development of their characters scenes? Only a few. How many of the mains might've been a cameo? Half of them.
mVtavQT.png

Don't say that this was only the first season and that things will get better from now on, that makes it even worse. This didn't feel like a proper story, at the most like a third of one with the fleshing out moments cut out to save time.

I honestly feel like I wasted my time with this. If the second season is the same way, I'm out. And I don't have my hopes up high, knowing Fuller.

P.S. The reveal on Wednesday's real name made me groan. As if anyone hadn't figured that out already.
P.S.2 I don't even wanna start complaining about the pacing, that alone deserves a post double the size of this one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Media's been secretly manipulating the Thor films to be some of the least popular among the Marvel movies, and straight up removing Odin at the end of the 2nd film to weaken Wednesday.

The deepest lore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish there were two more episodes in the season. I would have rather have them end at the Rock.

Same, I thought this was the plan but apparently not.

If next season opens with the Rock, though, whew.

Blader

So I haven't been able to get into this show at all (too much other TV at the moment) and was waiting for the season to wrap up before jumping in. Is it worth the watch? Fwiw, I've never read the book and the only Fuller show I've seen is Hannibal, which I liked in S1, loved in S2, and liked much less (but still overall liked) in S3. While trying to duck spoilers, I see people on this comparing the show to Hannibal S3, which isn't terribly confidence boosting, lol.

So I haven't been able to get into this show at all (too much other TV at the moment) and was waiting for the season to wrap up before jumping in. Is it worth the watch? Fwiw, I've never read the book and the only Fuller show I've seen is Hannibal, which I liked in S1, loved in S2, and liked much less (but still overall liked) in S3. While trying to duck spoilers, I see people on this comparing the show to Hannibal S3, which isn't terribly confidence boosting, lol.

It does feel like the third season of Hannibal. The nonsense of the first part and the mindless visuals of the show in general. Too much for my liking.

Turin

Banned
It was cool seeing Jeremy Davies as Jesus. That was also Shadow's best scene in a while as far as I can recall.

Hannibal Season 3 is where the visuals (and sound design) arguably become overwrought. I still like them, but they are noticeably more heavy handed.

Season 2 is absolutely flawless with the sole exception of the court episode. The visual presentation is in perfect harmony with the themes and narrative. In Season 2, Hannibal truly comes into its own.

For all its visual pageantry Hannibal S2 is grounded by its nuanced characterization. Like the first season, each murder tableau is a commentary on facets of Hannibal and Will Graham's relationship, and the visuals have an intentional thematic logic (e.g. water representing aspects of Will, namely his overstimulated mind and empathic abilities). However, S2 was able to go fully serial, in place of the case-of-the-week format that constrained much of S1. Its singular focus on character development allowed for enhanced interconnections between events and themes, so that as Will cleaves closer to an understanding of Hannibal's mind, and by necessity his own inner darkness, the visual presentation ramps up in tandem. Each descriptive element of the show is appropriately modulated according what's going on in the story.

So far American Gods hasn't displayed the careful orchestration of story + presentation that Hannibal achieves. AG S1 unfortunately takes Hannibal S3's excesses and runs with them. I'm enjoying American Gods a lot, but make no mistake: Hannibal is in a different class. AG is very in your face and on the nose with the characterization and atmosphere. It paints in neon.

Amen

Just watched the last episode. I adore this series and I had heard of the books before but never actually read them which I think I'll be doing pretty soon.

As far as a series finale though? That was fucking terrible, I still don't really know what's going on or what certain characters motivations are and to finish where it did..... Bloody hell. Don't think I've ever seen a bigger non event in a show that I've really enjoyed, ever.

Hopefully the wait isn't too long for S2 and they add at least four episodes onto it. I might be coming across as negative here but that's just because up until now I thought it's kinda been flawless.

jph139

Okay, yeah, that makes sense... it sort of raises the question of why Wednesday isn't smiting guys left and right, but he's always got his cards close to his chest so I buy that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
really liked the last episode
Tehran 1979 was everything
let me go listen to it on repeat

TankUP

Okay, yeah, that makes sense... it sort of raises the question of why Wednesday isn't smiting guys left and right, but he's always got his cards close to his chest so I buy that.

He likely only had the juice to smite those guys because of the sacrifice of Laura Moon that was in his name. They made a point to note that Laura Moon wasn't murdered, but sacrificed.

Why they don't start cults and convince unstable people to sacrifice in their name, I couldn't tell ya. Maybe the new gods have them downtrodden to the point where they are scared to do that, and Wednesday is the first guy to defy them, and he wants a lot more than just some juice.

Apt101

It blew my mind that Shadow only just realized that Wednesday is Odin.

Like how many clues did that guy need?

To be fair, most people don't know Wednesday = Woden's Day = Odin's Day, nor are they really familiar with Odin. I didn't until I read the book about seven years ago, and then learned about the other Norse gods that have days named after them.

Kind of little spoiler:
yes, of course there are also multiple Odins. This one story began in episode one, when the vikings came to America. At the end of the book, Shadow meets another Odin in Europe.

Way to go with the book spoiler. This thread is about the TV show. Next time provide clarification that this is a book spoiler.

Apt101

Way to go with the book spoiler. This thread is about the TV show. Next time provide clarification that this is a book spoiler.

Well to be fair, we realize there are multiple aspects of the same god at this point (all of the Jesus's for example), and we have no idea if that will even happen in the show.

Kinyou

That was a weird finale. Playing up Odin as a big reveal was strange considering how they had already spelled it out when they met Mr. World.

Also no idea where that story with the "Queen" is going. The start of the episode made it look like it would finally lead up to something but then.... nothing.

Also did they really just go the spider guy to get suits? I figured they'd getting something more special for a detour like that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Was it just Amazon's stream of the show or was the sound mix utterly shit on this last episode?

That was a weird finale. Playing up Odin as a big reveal was strange considering how they had already spelled it out when they met Mr. World.

Also no idea where that story with the "Queen" is going. The start of the episode made it look like it would finally lead up to something but then.... nothing.

Also did they really just go the spider guy to get suits? I figured they'd getting something more special for a detour like that.

The queen story was just a way to expand upon the backstory of Bilquis while setting up Technoboy forging an alliance with her by taking advantage of her desparation and promising to restore her to her former glory. It shows that Mr Wednesday is essentially doing the same to Easter later in the episode, lest ye forget he already was a gigantic asshole looooong before the New Gods were even a thing.

As for the scene with Mr. Nancy, they skipped the whole 'forging an alliance' part since we already saw him help Mr. Wednesday escape the police station. And I'm sure they aren't just any ordinary old suit either, but rather something more akin to the sword Vulcan forged. It is a suit made form spider silk and woven by a spider-god after all . Maybe they just have very deep magical pockets since Mr. Wednesday seemed to pull an entire claymore from out of nowhere.

Apt101

They've been setting up a lot of new stuff. Queen of Sheba / Bilquis was a reoccurring background feature in the book for a long while, but yea, they seem to be setting her up for something larger in the show. Laura, Mad Sweeny, and Ēostre / Easter are all being elevated greatly.

My guess is they knew they had a good thing on their hands and are planning for that long game. That Walking Dead type longevity. And you can't do that with a story that focuses on Shadow and a few other gods / folklore figures, like in the book.

Top Bottom