• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Monocle

Man, this show is a bore. It's so damned tedious. Why do I force myself to watch it?

Half of it is weird sex, and it's hardly better than Freak Show.

How many episodes are left?
So you can enrich this thread with another "I don't like thing" post?

Monocle

Perhaps

I miss the days when people shat upon Freak Show in its OT.

Anyways, where was the Murder House reference in this episode, that you guys were talking about?
The Murder House reference was Bartholomew the monster baby.

Edit: Oops, for some reason I was conflating him with Beau.

Monocle

Could be, but even compared to the other seasons this is like a step above, wich is quite impressive, its actually, distracting from the complexity of the plot , character drama and creepyness of this show o_O

must be the Countess herself.
You realize the irony here, right? The vast majority of shows have nothing but traditional straight relationships, and endless little reminders of who's attracted to who. Most straight viewers don't think to complain that the straight stuff is distracting. Imagine what it's like for LGBT people to barely ever see people like us in mainstream entertainment. Reminder after reminder after reminder that we're social outliers.

Try this: Pick a popular show at random and count how many times there's a reference to heterosexuality or a straight sex scene in a single episode. Look at Game of Thrones, Banshee, whatever. Then count how many LGBT scenes or references are in an episode of Hotel. I think the comparison will be instructive.

The vast majority of characters on TV are straight. Check out the statistics from GLAAD's Where We Are On TV report for 2015-16.

Of the 881 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast primetime scripted programming in the coming year, 35 (4%) were identified as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. There were an additional 35 recurring LGB characters. The highest percentage of LGBT characters GLAAD has ever counted on primetime scripted broadcast programming was 4.4% in the 2012-13 season.
There are no transgender characters counted on primetime broadcast programming, while only three recurring trans characters were counted on cable (2%). Streaming series boast the highest percentage of trans characters at 7% (4) with two notably being series leads. Of the seven trans characters counted, only one was a transgender man.

Bisexual representations rose on both broadcast and cable this year with a notable increase (from 10 to 18) in the number of bisexual men appearing on cable programs. Unfortunately, many of these characters still fall into dangerous stereotypes about bisexual people.

I read elsewhere that most fans prefer Murder House over the others like myself. Have you noticed that? I ask because people seem to prefer Asylum here.

I hope that FX Canada will do a marathon of Coven so I can see if I like it. The completionist inside of me wants to see it.

Agreed. This was probably my least favorite episode of the season - almost nothing happened outside of an out-of-nowhere love plotline between Liz and Tristian. (and does it even matter that Gaga killed Tristian? Can't he just come back as a ghost?)

She's fucking everyone close to her. I'm sure it will matter beyond this contained episode.

Also wtf is "too gay friendly"

Could be, but even compared to the other seasons this is like a step above, wich is quite impressive, its actually, distracting from the complexity of the plot , character drama and creepyness of this show o_O

must be the Countess herself.
I'd say Coven and Freak Show definitely pandered to gay people a lot stronger than anything this season, I've seen so far. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Monocle

I'd say Coven and Freak Show definitely pandered to gay people a lot stronger than anything this season, I've seen so far. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Not to jump on you or anything (I doubt you meant to insult anyone), but representation is not pandering. There's nothing unseemly or exploitative about portraying the true diversity of people.

kirblar

Not to jump on you or anything, but representation is not pandering. There's nothing unseemly or exploitative about portraying the true diversity of people.
Yeah, Ryan Murphy is also very very gay, this stuff isn't coming from a place of tokenization.

xaosslug

I read elsewhere that most fans prefer Murder House over the others like myself. Have you noticed that? I ask because people seem to prefer Asylum here.

I hope that FX Canada will do a marathon of Coven so I can see if I like it. The completionist inside of me wants to see it.

Coven is a Bravo Housewives-level of ratchet mess, but it's my favorite season because it doesn't pretend to be anything but a fierce, gifable, ratchet mess unlike every other season where there's a pretense of 'something more' to it all. That season is, imo, the most accurate summation of AHS/Ryan Murphy's 'vision'.

also, Alexander Dreymon.

Monocle

Yeah, Ryan Murphy is also very very gay, this stuff isn't coming from a place of tokenization.
Yep.

Coven is a Bravo Housewives-level of ratchet mess, but it's my favorite season because it doesn't pretend to be anything but a fierce, gifable, ratchet mess unlike every other season where there's a pretense of 'something more' to it all. That season is, imo, the most accurate summation of AHS/Ryan Murphy's 'vision'.
YES.

also, Alexander Dreymon.
Gt1Gv8d.gif

Ob2s3m3.gif

VfDkael.gif

Astral Dog

I was only half joking 😟

True that Coven gets better? Only watched 3 or 2 episodes but even Freak Show grabbed me more. The intro is so cool.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I was only half joking 😟

True that Coven gets better? Only watched 3 or 2 episodes but even Freak Show grabbed me more. The intro is so cool.

wait freak show grabs you more than coven?
but nothing happens

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yeah but the clown was scary, i like the circus theme and jessica lange,evento the song, some characters were charming.

Oh to be fair twisty was on point

I need to go back and rewatch coven at some point

Nemesis_

It's really clear watching these recent episodes when Sarah Paulson wasn't available for AHS because she was filming ACS

I hope Sally will get a full and proper arc.

I've rewound Peters ripping off GaGa's nighty and throwing her on the bed more times than I care to admit. #shame

Good episode. It's obvious John is the killer at this point, no? Unless they throw some kind of twist.

Koomaster

Good episode. It's obvious John is the killer at this point, no? Unless they throw some kind of twist.
I've thought so since nearly the beginning. If there is some major twist I'm down for that; but unless that unlikely event occurs I'm so done with everything that is not happening inside the hotel. I'm so over John as a character if he doesn't start going complete psycho next episode.

Monocle

Right as the season arc's momentum was beginning to falter amid the episodic drama, it bounces back with this episode. I adore this season. What a welcome twist, having Finn Wittrock show up in a second role right after Tristan made his untimely exit. I love how both characters have close ties to the Countess, and in such different ways.

It was an inspired choice to use him as an anchor point for her origin story. And then to entangle them both in Mr. March's schemes and carry it all forward into the present. This episode reveals all sorts of interconnections that enrich the characters and setting. Very well done.

John's find-the-killer storyline has been milked for so long that I'm starting to wonder if his apparent craziness is just a red herring, and the show has another major twist up its sleeve. I mean, John being the killer has been blatantly telegraphed, and we still haven't been given a reveal yet.

Gaga is still delighting me with her rad fashions and unexpectedly decent acting chops. She remains this season's best surprise.

I have that EXACT same physique.

A cardboard box.
It's no mystery why this show is popular. It's so relatable.

Matt_

Oh so it was the same actor? The likeness was driving me crazy!

true Gek

Right as the season arc's momentum was beginning to falter amid the episodic drama, it bounces back with this episode. I adore this season. What a welcome twist, having Finn Wittrock show up in a second role right after Tristan made his untimely exit. I love how both characters have close ties to the Countess, and in such different ways.

It was an inspired choice to use him as an anchor point for her origin story. And then to entangle them both in Mr. March's schemes and carry it all forward into the present. This episode reveals all sorts of interconnections that enrich the characters and setting. Very well done.

John's find-the-killer storyline has been milked for so long that I'm starting to wonder if his apparent craziness is just a red herring, and the show has another major twist up its sleeve. I mean, John being the killer has been blatantly telegraphed, and we still haven't been given a reveal yet.

Gaga is still delighting me with her rad fashions and unexpectedly decent acting chops. She remains this season's best surprise.

It's no mystery why this show is popular. It's so relatable.

I'm loving Gaga, she's acting honestly better than I thought!

But in my opinion the "John is the killer" at this point would be a so obvious reveal that I think there will be a twist in the real identity of the psychopath. I think that the people in the hotel are trying to convince him to be the killer but in reality is someone else.

Top Bottom