• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

I enjoyed the first episode. I kinda started off not liking the concept because I thought it would ruin the suspense, but they did a good job of keeping it creepy and suspenseful regardless.

Season five was the first season I enjoyed since 1&2. Though It was more of a fun campy gore fest and I thought the ending was too happy competitively. I appreciated the lack of campiness here in the first episode.

Curious how the season will continue. I'm unsure if the concept will ruin a full season even if the lack of campiness helped keep the first episode creepy.

I really did not care for Episode 1.

I'm sure the documentary format will get shaken up later, but the meta re-enactment totally deflated the creepy horror moments since no one was ever in real danger and no real tension.

This is how I felt until HP_Wuvcraft got the idea in my head that it could be that the reason the interviews and the flashbacks are different people are because the actual people from the flashbacks are dead.

I mean sure it might not go that route but even the possibility that it could has erased the "nothing can happen to them" feeling for me.

Series 1 was great but fell off a cliff halfway through

Series 2 was excellent

Series 3 was good I liked the change in tone

Series 4 was on par with 2

Series 5 was utter trash and couldn't finish it

Pluto

This is how I felt until HP_Wuvcraft got the idea in my head that it could be that the reason the interviews and the flashbacks are different people are because the actual people from the flashbacks are dead.
But using actors for reenactments while interviewing the real people is something those documentaries usually do.

Knowing that none of the interviewed characters die in the reenacted scenes isn't a big deal. There can still be suspense even if you know a characters makes it out alive (we know that the characters aren't in danger 90% of the time on pretty much all shows) and maybe the season will move beyond showing us the documentary. If we see the production side Sarah Paulson's character could take of the Shelby wig, go home and suddenly experience the horror she has been reenacting for real and die that way.

I wonder if they actually need the interview segments or if they just decided to use the documentary angle to squeeze in more actors, we have one Shelby and Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson both get to play her. The interview segments are also easy to film, if Lily Rabe wasn't available for long they could have plopped her in front of a camera and filmed her two days getting enough footage for the entire season for example.

Don'tBelieveHisLies.jpg

Yeah, it's funny how everyone has such different ratings for the different seasons. I thought 4 was awful (though I was actually amused by the musical numbers, because why the hell not at that point). 5 wasn't the show's absolute best, but it benefited from not trying to use the same basic character arc for Jessica Lange yet again.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit what if the reason the people in the talking heads segments are not the same as the flashbacks is because the flashbacks are what actually happened and the talking heads are the actors doing reenactments since the real people died O:

I can see that happening.

Season 1- Good start to the series.

Season 2- Excellent season

Season 3- Starts off awesome and then falters after the first 1/3-1/2 way through the show. The first part of the show was my favorite season yet and then it fell apart and became a hot mess.

Season 4- Trash. I liked Twisty and Dandy's storylines everything else was completely forgettable. All of the music scenes didn't bother me as much as other people but they were uneccesary. Much like S3 characters such as Jessica Lange's, S4 characters make decisions that don't make sense for that character.

Season 5- Return to the quality of S1 and S2. An actual decent story and ending that doesn't completely fall apart like S3 and S4. Starts off S4-trash tier. S5 had a much slower build to the good part. Kathy Bates and Dennis O'Hare's characters are the real stars of the season. Lady Gaga's character is actually good and a lot more complex when they eventually delve into it, the first couple episodes it's basically her being Lady Gaga.

obin_gam

I was really hyped for this when I saw this discussion and that it will be like a Discovery Channel documentary thing. I love The Poughkeepsie Tapes, so I was hoping...

but damn it was bad. Neither scary or interesting :/

But using actors for reenactments while interviewing the real people is something those documentaries usually do.

Knowing that none of the interviewed characters die in the reenacted scenes isn't a big deal. There can still be suspense even if you know a characters makes it out alive (we know that the characters aren't in danger 90% of the time on pretty much all shows) and maybe the season will move beyond showing us the documentary. If we see the production side Sarah Paulson's character could take of the Shelby wig, go home and suddenly experience the horror she has been reenacting for real and die that way.

I wonder if they actually need the interview segments or if they just decided to use the documentary angle to squeeze in more actors, we have one Shelby and Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson both get to play her. The interview segments are also easy to film, if Lily Rabe wasn't available for long they could have plopped her in front of a camera and filmed her two days getting enough footage for the entire season for example.

I know it's what most documentaries do but this is AHS. Again I'm not saying they WILL do it this way but it could be that the flashbacks aren't "reenactments" like documentaries do, but they are the actual events, and then the interview parts are the actors, hired to talk about the events because the real people died.

It's convoluted and ridiculous but then this IS American Horror Story we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a switch like that at all.

This is also grasping like hell and wild speculation since we're exactly one episode into the season, eheheheh :p But it'd be cool as hell if one episode ended on a super intense cliffhanger and then it cut to the interview and the person was all overwhelmed and was like "I need to step outside" and they got up and had a fake leg, or they back up and reveal they're in a wheelchair or something.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Haven't seen an episode since I finished S2, but I liked it.

I liked the idea of setting it up like a ghost show on Discovery.

In the end it depends on how it plays out from now on. I'm sort of assuming that they'll move out of the documentary/reality space at some point but who knows.

Taruranto

I don't like the documentary format either. It really kills most of the tension. Also, re-enactments tend to look cheap, this one had too high production values.

It would be fine for one episode, to introduce the setting o provide a different perspective, but an entire season like that? No thanks.

As for season ranking, Season 2 is exceptional, Season 1 is underrated, Season 5 is fine, Season 3 and 4 are:

r2riIhJ.jpg

Astral Dog

really cant say much, but this is intriguing, the documentary aspect makes it both a bit more goofier and entertaining, so far has been more grounded than previous seasons, not as stylish as s5 but the first chapter was good,seems like a haunted house at first but then becomes something else.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
btw, Sarah Paulson's character in Murder House, Billie Dean, talked about Roanoke in one scene:

(spoiler tagged just in case Ryan Murphy actually remembered the mythology he established way back in season one and incorporated it into this season)

“
It became known as the ghost colony because the spirits remained. They haunted the native tribes living in the surrounding areas, killing indiscriminately. The elder knew he had to act. He cast a banishment curse. First he collected the personal belongings of all the dead colonists. Then they burned them. The ghosts appeared, summoned by their talismans. But before the spirits could cause them any more harm, the elder completed the curse that would banish the ghosts forever. By uttering a single word. The same word found carved on a post at the abandoned colony. ‘Croatoan.'
"

Backwoods hick/bumpkin/hill people terrify the shit out of me

lol

Again I'm not saying they WILL do it this way but it could be that the flashbacks aren't "reenactments" like documentaries do, but they are the actual events, and then the interview parts are the actors, hired to talk about the events

Apparently a lot of people are questioning this, but I thought it was pretty clear that that was exactly what was happening.

Revolver

Season 1- Good start to the series.

Season 2- Excellent season

Season 3- Starts off awesome and then falters after the first 1/3-1/2 way through the show. The first part of the show was my favorite season yet and then it fell apart and became a hot mess.

Season 4- Trash. I liked Twisty and Dandy's storylines everything else was completely forgettable. All of the music scenes didn't bother me as much as other people but they were uneccesary. Much like S3 characters such as Jessica Lange's, S4 characters make decisions that don't make sense for that character.

Season 5- Return to the quality of S1 and S2. An actual decent story and ending that doesn't completely fall apart like S3 and S4. Starts off S4-trash tier. S5 had a much slower build to the good part. Kathy Bates and Dennis O'Hare's characters are the real stars of the season. Lady Gaga's character is actually good and a lot more complex when they eventually delve into it, the first couple episodes it's basically her being Lady Gaga.

That's how I'd rank them too. I liked the Countess story in S5 and how they payed homage to movies like the Hunger. The soundtrack was killer too. The serial killer stuff though I could have done without and it felt like gory filler.

Alienfan

I can't imagine them doing this documentary style if they're not going to play with it. I'm expecting some insane meta/surreal horror stuff

My thoughts too, I can't help but think that the reviewers/posts thinking the characters survived and are therefore immune to dying in the reenactments - are probably the exact type of thoughts the writers are hoping for.

btw, Sarah Paulson's character in Murder House, Billie Dean, talked about Roanoke in one scene:

(spoiler tagged just in case Ryan Murphy actually remembered the mythology he established way back in season one and incorporated it into this season)

lol

Apparently a lot of people are questioning this, but I thought it was pretty clear that that was exactly what was happening.

To clarify I'm talking Hills Have Eyes backwoods hill people not just any farmer in a pair of overalls.

And with all the "EVERYTHING'S CONNECTED!" stuff they've been talking about the last 2-3 seasons it wouldn't surprise me if they'll tie back to that quote from Season 1... but it also wouldn't surprise me if they totally ignore/forget it either. Could easily be a coincidence they point to and go "see we planned it all along!"

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

lol

It'll be funny if they
engage that character to help resolve the issue, have Sarah Paulson be in the interview sections and have another person play that character in the reenactments :p

Regarding connections to the rest of the seasons, I wonder if this particular plot will only last a few episodes. Maybe we will see episodes that references the previous seasons.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well that was boring. Beautifully shot though. I'll watch a few more episode but I'm not loving the style although I commend them on trying something different. We'll see.

Just watched the episode and I really liked it. The previous season I found terribly boring and is the only one I didn't finish, this new season has grabbed my interest really quickly.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The theme is Roanoke (a lost colony) and it's one story.

Strange. I don't know why it occurred to me that they possibly toyed with the idea of having smaller short stories this time around. Maybe it's because of the title that kept coming up, Roanoke. Thought that was the name of the particular episode I was watching.

Angry Fork

I don't like/understand the interview aspect. How am I supposed to fear for any characters safety when you're telling us they're gonna end up fine? And if this is all a red herring just to end up telling us the people being interviewed aren't *actually* the ones being portrayed or some weird dumb shit like that then I'll just be annoyed.

I don't like/understand the interview aspect. How am I supposed to fear for any characters safety when you're telling us they're gonna end up fine? And if this is all a red herring just to end up telling us the people being interviewed aren't *actually* the ones being portrayed or some weird dumb shit like that then I'll just be annoyed.
This is American Horror Story. There is absolutely no way that they're playing the interview stuff straight and you shouldn't assume for a second that just because these people survived means they're safe.

Angry Fork

This is American Horror Story. There is absolutely no way that they're playing the interview stuff straight and you shouldn't assume for a second that just because these people survived means they're safe.

I'm assuming it won't be straight as well I just hope the alternate aspect will come fairly soon because I'm not going to feel tension in future episodes thinking the main characters are going to be fine, so whatever they have up their sleeve I hope it's not like 8 episodes in.

There's the theory that the actors are doing a mocumentary and we're watching the real events. It could also be that the story hasnt caught up in the show and that the people doing the documentary aren't out of the woods yet. I'm not really sure what other options they could do. Both seem pretty obvious regardless.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There's the theory that the actors are doing a mocumentary and we're watching the real events. It could also be that the story hasnt caught up in the show and that the people doing the documentary aren't out of the woods yet. I'm not really sure what other options they could do. Both seem pretty obvious regardless.
The mocumentary angle would be so lame.

I'd prefer a weird, meta "Too Many Cooks"/ "Unedited Footage of a Bear" angle. I just don't trust Ryan Murphy to pull that off.
Same here. Actually said a similar thing earlier in the thread. Having the documentary sections get increasingly unsettling and fucked up could be very effective when your audience gets a false sense of security

Roussow

I'm waiting for one of the principle interviewed characters to be killed in the dramatic re-enactment, cut to them in interview saying bluntly, "and that's how I died". If any show is as crazy to do something as unconventional as that it's AHS. It's going to bold for an AHS season not to kill of almost every character by the end of it.

Razmos

I'm waiting for one of the principle interviewed characters to be killed in the dramatic re-enactment, cut to them in interview saying bluntly, "and that's how I died". If any show is as crazy to do something as unconventional as that it's AHS. It's going to bold for an AHS season not to kill of almost every character by the end of it.
I just had the funny image of them saying "and that's how I died" and then just fading out in front of the camera lol

I don't understand why people feel that the docunentary style removes tension. You still don't know what is happening, what everything is about. The only thing it removes potentially is character death, but come on, we generally know who is going to live based on who's playing them anyway.

Top Bottom