• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Cult |OT| Sarah Paulson Suffers In This One, It Must Be Good

Yado

Best episode of the season so far. Nothing super unexpected aside from the Winter/Ivy connection, but it was fun to watch it all go down.

Agreed, I think it was better because the focus wasn't on Sarah Paulson's hysterical, annoying character.

Great episode, and as others have stated no Paulson helped it immensely. Generally think she is great, but her character this season is beyond annoying. Anyway very interested to see the link between Winter and Ivy.

Going to pretend this is the real first episode. Ally may be the worst AHS character to grace this series. This was the first enjoyable episode of the season for me.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are american ballots really that long?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Are american ballots really that long?
They vary by location. The one in LA county for example is a little book with a standardized test card for your picks.

ir85TTe.jpg

While Fresno county (in the same state) uses one single long form similar to what was in the show.

Evan Peters is so underrated actor.
He should be on main stream movies with important roles

I think he would be a perfect Joker for example

american-horror-story.jpg

Evan Peters is so underrated actor.
He should be on main stream movies with important roles

I think he would be a perfect Joker for example

american-horror-story.jpg

I agree that he's an underrated actor, but, for all intents and purposes, he's playing the Joker in AHS Cult. Like, I'm half expecting to see him do the disappearing pencil trick before season's end.

ZOONAMI

As someone who has only seen Murder House, Asylum, and Roanoke,

Asylum is the best of the three.

Hotel was actually decent. Of what I watched I’d still say murder house>asylum>hotel>cult so far>Roanoke>coven.

Didn’t watch the circus one, not sure if there’s another I’m missing

Korigama

Yeah you should probably drop this season before it puts you off the series. It's fun to see the recurring actors in such different roles this time around. You won't have the benefit of that perspective if you haven't seen other seasons.
Though I won't be able to enjoy comparing roles for actors to previous seasons (and can't believe that I hadn't realized that Kai's is X-Men Quicksilver), it looks like I will be sticking with this one after all. The fourth episode was indeed an improvement over the other ones, definitely a result of things becoming a bit less obscure and not being stuck following Ally. Still not a great show by any means, but a change of pace that proved more interesting than being left in the dark on everything alongside an exceedingly weak protagonist.

I expected most of these revelations but they were nicely explained

So does this mean that Ally isn't really crazy? at least when she was in the mall....

Nemesis_

I'm caught up. I thought it was a slow start but it's getting a bit more interesting. I find it very surprising that both sides of the election supporters have been portrayed as equally as batshit as each other.

I find Leslie Grossman to be so out of place in this though. I'm sure Ryan Murphy wants to give her work a free her stint on Popular and Nip Tuck (both hammy roles I absolutely adored) but not sure she's a good fit for AHS.

Maybe she was lined up for Scream Queens 3 :(

LaNaranja

Finally caught this weeks episode. Far and away the best one so far. Also if the mom is completely in on the clown shit then that is some really fucked up shit she is doing to the kid.

Aces&Eights

New to the series. Watched Asylum first and have one more episode of murder house. Anyone recommend what one to watch next? I'm thinking coven.

LaNaranja

New to the series. Watched Asylum first and have one more episode of murder house. Anyone recommend what one to watch next? I'm thinking coven.

Coven is really entertaining but different from the first two seasons. It goes ham in a way that the first two seasons didn't. It is worth watching next.

Roanoke is up their with Asylum as top tier American Horror.

Feel free to skip Freakshow and if you do watch it, don't let it deter you from the other seasons. Maybe it is better if you binge watch it but week to week I remember it being really painful as the show spun its wheels every week and went absolutely nowhere. I kept waiting for some big payoff that never happened.

I haven't seen Hotel so I can't comment on that one. I skipped it after Freakshow soured me on the entire series, it was that bad. Still need to get back to it at some point.

That black actress who plays the reporter - I thought she put on a funny accent for true blood but her diction is just generally weird.

Good season this one. Odd.

Taruranto

Oh gosh, what happened to Channel's hairs. Brown is so not her color.

That's quite possibly the most hilarious twist I've ever seen. Jill Stein

Emma Roberts is never gonna get out of that typecasting is she

She had a different role in Freaks, but she was completely unbelievable. Hey, at least she's good at playing the bitch.

Just watch them in order, but don't feel bad about skipping Coven and especially Freaks.

JonnyKong

Whilst it was nice we finally got some character motivation, I still found it rather dull to watch. I just don't feel like the season has any kind of sense of direction when it comes to the overall plot, but yet I can't stop watching every week.

Monocle

Hotel is dogshit. Doesn't help that Gaga can't act.
Hotel is the best season easily. The most consistent storytelling that developed everyone's backstory and gave appropriate resolutions to all characters and subplots (even Asylum was a mess on this count), a nice and balanced spread of horror, one of the best settings, some of the best characters across all seasons (Liz, The Countess, James March. The rest of the series regulars were pretty good too).

It's unlikely the series will reach Hotel's heights again. But we can hope!

studyguy

Sorry this season is killing me. Little actual horror outside of what seem like weirdo conspiracy theory nonsense with the black trucks. Clowns just seem like regular murders, the guy hanging by the meat hook was probably the craziest thing. Everything else feels like I might as well be watching a weird take on Scream.

bitbydeath

Hotel is the best season easily. The most consistent storytelling that developed everyone's backstory and gave appropriate resolutions to all characters and subplots (even Asylum was a mess on this count), a nice and balanced spread of horror, one of the best settings, some of the best characters across all seasons (Liz, The Countess, James March. The rest of the series regulars were pretty good too).

The kid vampires that got turned at school wasn’t dealt with very well IMO.

Hotel was a like a reverse AHS. Where usually everything starts off amazing and then unravels after the Halloween episode. However, Hotel started off a hot mess and then after the Halloween episode got progressively better.

Monocle

The kid vampires that got turned at school wasn’t dealt with very well IMO.
That was a weak point for sure, maybe the worst subplot of the season, which is why I was pleased with the way it dovetailed into the arcs of several major characters rather than staying an extra unwanted appendage to the main story.

It was resolved about as well as it could have been. That is to say, it ended up having some sort of impact on the story without derailing it, and it didn't take up too much time. The show was aiming to indulge in its worst tendencies, but it reined them in.

Hotel was a like a reverse AHS. Where usually everything starts off amazing and then unravels after the Halloween episode. However, Hotel started off a hot mess and then after the Halloween episode got progressively better.
I agree it got much better as it went along, but I was sold by the first episode to be honest. It establishes the tone, style, and setting pretty well. And gives a number of main characters memorable introductions.

Top Bottom