• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

Haven't watched it yet. What's the consensus? Awful or a good finale?

I have just held the complete season of Coven at the library, and will likely pick it up tomorrow. I feel I need to see it since it's the only one I missed.

B-Dex

Tracey Martel was the highlight of the finale for me.

kxY309A.gif

OrionX

Haven't watched it yet. What's the consensus? Awful or a good finale?

I have just held the complete season of Coven at the library, and will likely pick it up tomorrow. I feel I need to see it since it's the only one I missed.

Considering how you've felt about this season so far, you'll probably hate it, since it was pretty meh for me.

I don't think it's a very popular opinion, but I loved Coven. I see that season as more a comedy than horror though. lol

Ducayne

Where was Finn Wittrock? Didn't Ryan Murphy say he was playing the most fucked up character the entire show has seen? He had that one cut away shot and that was it.

Edit:
Also what a blandito ending. I was fucking loving the first 6 episodes and even the first few after the twist but man do the producers/writings just not know how to reign it in. They go off the deep end every. Single. Season. Go small. Go self contained. Finally go spooky for a damn change.

jond76

Banned
I enjoyed the season. I got a Natural Born Killers vide from the multimedia angle. Good season.

I found it interesting that (Channel Zero spoilers)
They ended similarly in that the mains died to save the kid

I haven't seen a show drop in quality that much that quickly since the writer strike.
First twist episode was amazing only to turn around with some of the worst of the franchise.

.JayZii

Banned
I was expecting that last shot to pan out a bit and show us it was a theater screen for the film premiere of "The Roanokening" or something.

Priscilla and Lee's daughter felt so awkward and forced. At least she'll have Lee and a bunch of paramedics and police officers to keep her company/protect her now. I guess? Still not sure of the logistics of anything that was going on with who became ghosts in the house and who didn't. I was expecting the rest of the cast to show up at the end.

There was an actual witch that gave Lee a heart or something to eat that made her crazy last episode, right? Or did I dream that?

Overall grade: *groan*

I continue to not understand the negativity directed at this season. It isn't even the worst season of THIS SHOW (that would be Freak Show), much less "anything on TV ever". Come on.

Admittedly, I watch a LOT of horror movies, and I have something of a weak spot for found footage stuff.

Still, this season was a lot more coherent than the show usually is - it stuck to more or less a single premise and had a single unifying idea (playing around with found footage/structure/meta-commentary). That's more than can be said for most seasons of the show, including the very first.

I do have mixed feelings about the very end. On the one hand, it feels like a bit of anticlimactic tease. On the other, it's sort of funny how things just. keep. escalating. Like...first some people die. Then the entire cast dies. Then some ghost hunters people die. Then, presumably, an entire group of first responders and the surrounding press dies. I'm pretty sure we can assume that some group of idiots will come along during the NEXT blood moon to cover the "Roanoke House Massacre" of one year ago where a bunch of first responders died under "mysterious circumstances", and it'll just keep going.

EDIT: Also, yeah, the Chens are both hilariously out of place and more than a little racist. I still think keeping them the same from reenactment to reality was a bit of a missed opportunity, but I guess they really wanted to squeeze some J/K-horror into their "American Horror Story".

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the season was pretty good overall but I wasn't a big fan of the finale. Because of the slasher film style of characterization, I never ended up caring about any of the characters, so I found the first half of the episode to be pretty dry. I didn't care about Lee's trial or her struggle to get back Flora but thankfully the episode picked up with the Lana Winters interview and the momentum carried through to the end. Even though the end was dumb (why does the little immortal ghost girl need protected? how did the house explode? who was filming the final scene?) and felt anti climactic.

NOOOO

NOT LANA BANANA

That was the tensest moment of the finale - I seriously thought Lana Banana was going to die and I was about to riot.

Isn't Lana like 85? They didn't try very hard to make Sarah Paulson look that old lmao

Yep, 85. lol
Seriously though, Sarah Paulson's "old age" make up was awful.

Ratsky is climaxing at all these shows within shows.

srsly

Why does a 400 year old ghost need protecting?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where was Finn Wittrock? Didn't Ryan Murphy say he was playing the most fucked up character the entire show has seen?

Ryan Murphy says a lot of things.

On the other, it's sort of funny how things just. keep. escalating. Like...first some people die. Then the entire cast dies. Then some ghost hunters people die. Then, presumably, an entire group of first responders and the surrounding press dies. I'm pretty sure we can assume that some group of idiots will come along during the NEXT blood moon to cover the "Roanoke House Massacre" of one year ago where a bunch of first responders died under "mysterious circumstances", and it'll just keep going.

I would love for that to be a recurring gag in future seasons. Like, we can hear about the situation escalating further and further whenever a character turns on a TV or picks up a newspaper. :p

Most of the makeup in the show was awful.

I watched the finale about an hour ago. Well, finished it an hour ago.

It wasn't as bad as expected, as I liked the final shots and it had a couple of okay moments, but it was more cheese, stupidity and Ryan Murphy patting himself on the back. I could never believe all this, "Roanoke Nightmare is the best show on TV, breaking records" shit. It was mostly cringeworthy.

Of course, it's his show and he can do what he wants. It just made me laugh.

The TV show stuff was all cringeworthy, too.

Overall, I don't know if there's a word that can describe how awful this season has been.

Luschient

Yeah I think I'm probably done with AHS. Watched these last few episodes because I "had" to (aka had already watched this far into the season so let's finish it).

Hoping that Channel Zero can be my replacement show for this.

Shizuka

Well, that was a lackluster ending. At least we had Trixie Mattel. I missed a Scatatch storyline. At least people seem to think season 7 will be about her journey to the US.

Eeeh was the weakest last episode they've had over the six seasons.

Overall I still enjoyed but with hindsight id place it behind Murder House and Coven.

Toa TAK

Banned
Overall I enjoyed the season. Wasn't as strong as Murder House or Asylum (da gawd), but I had fun. The final shot was cool, even though the finale left me wanting towards the end.

Dunno if I'll return for the next season.

Ydelnae

The only way I would have liked the finale is if the hints of
Shelby and Matt lying about what really happened during their first days in the house/the first season not being completely faithful to reality and Flora being the one that murdered Mason went she was missing and Lee preventing the truth to come out
led to something. The last episodes needed less TV shows inside TV shows and more stuff dealing with what happened to the house. Going back to the Flora storyline now was pointless if the second part of the season dealt with completely different plot points.

It's still the best AHS season since Coven. Much better than the last two, even if it still has some huge flaws.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I really enjoyed it, episode had me hooked all the way through, even with the fizzle out ending
overall pretty great season, only one dud episode for me
the format change really worked

Putosaure

Ending was meh.
I still don't know if
the murders of the second part really occured or if it was all staged, because it seems that they aired all those murders and nobody gives a damn about it ? Maybe I'm just too stupid.
Also I hate when they
use the same actor to play different roles in the same season.
Too many TV shows inside of the TV show for me.

kirblar

Ending was meh.
I still don't know if
the murders of the second part really occured or if it was all staged, because it seems that they aired all those murders and nobody gives a damn about it ? Maybe I'm just too stupid.
Also I hate when they
use the same actor to play different roles in the same season.
Too many TV shows inside of the TV show for me.
Pt 2 wasn' t staged. YT girl confirms it.

Yeah I think I'm probably done with AHS. Watched these last few episodes because I "had" to (aka had already watched this far into the season so let's finish it).

Hoping that Channel Zero can be my replacement show for this.

Channel Zero is my surprise of the year. It's pretty great.

It's only a two season thing so far, with six episodes each...which sucks.

Top Bottom