• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

MrV4ltor

I saved last night's episode, and am going to force myself to watch it this weekend. I have to, because my PVR is defective and I need to switch it out with a replacement I was sent.

I don't know why I keep watching this show, but it's been laughably bad again this season. All style, no substance.

Everyone has the right to have wrong opinions I guess. ;)

Anyway, Hotel is definitely the best season since Asylum imo. Gaga has really shown improvement over the last two episodes and both Denis and Mare are able to show off just how good they really are this season. I'd be fine if Jessica never came back tbh. Denis or Mare could fill her spot just fine.

This season seems a lot more self aware then the others, enjoying it a lot more then I expected.

I also thought the scene between Liz and her son was honestly very sweet, and I hope they won't kill either of them now.

Lady Gaga and Dennis O'Hare KILLED IT this episode. So good, love those characters so much.

I lost it at the Iris tribute video too. This season has been so much fun.

MrV4ltor

Lady Gaga and Dennis O'Hare KILLED IT this episode. So good, love those characters so much.

I lost it at the Iris tribute video too. This season has been so much fun.

Yes! The tribute video was hilarious! I lost it when Liz said "You put a lot of work into this" and Iris said "Yeah" with a whole lot of pride and then goes on to talk about how it's supposed to be a beacon of hope for her 3 followers on Instagram.

Everyone has the right to have wrong opinions I guess. ;)

Anyway, Hotel is definitely the best season since Asylum imo. Gaga has really shown improvement over the last two episodes and both Denis and Mare are able to show off just how good they really are this season. I'd be fine if Jessica never came back tbh. Denis or Mare could fill her spot just fine.

Saying that it's the best season since Asylum isn't saying much, though, is it? Wasn't Coven awful? Freak Show was terrible and like watching paint dry.

Asylum started well, then got convoluted and boring.

Murder House was the only good one I've seen, but I've yet to see Coven.

Only 3 more episodes left, right?

Eggbok

fav moment
what a badass

tumblr_nzi0nafpZN1ugxgfwo1_1280.gif

Trying to watch the latest episode. It's so poorly written and cheesy, like a bad soap opera.

There's nothing scary about this show. It needs a different name.

MrV4ltor

Trying to watch the latest episode. It's so poorly written and cheesy, like a bad soap opera.

There's nothing scary about this show. It needs a different name.

I think someone asked you this already, but why are you still watching if you don't even like the show?

Nemesis_

I thought it was so that the case can be re-opened and Constance would be found guilty, and Moira would get her revenge.

Don't ghosts "move on" after they've finished their business? The way I interpreted that scene in Murder House was that Moira's unfinished business was to see Constance punished for what she did - and the bones were the last chance for her. I could be wrong.

I think someone asked you this already, but why are you still watching if you don't even like the show?

ikr the biggest mystery of all

I have a problem.

Truthfully, I'm a completionist, and once I start something I like to finish it. I beat almost every game I play, because I hate having non-completed games on my list, and I've seen almost every season of American Horror Story so I feel compelled to watch it all.

I've also invested enough time into this season to have watched about 10 episodes, so I may as well see where it goes.

But I do find it a chore. People used to bash Freak Show here, and I miss that. I don't get the change given that the quality hasn't really improved.

MrV4ltor

I have a problem.

Truthfully, I'm a completionist, and once I start something I like to finish it. I beat almost every game I play, because I hate having non-completed games on my list, and I've seen almost every season of American Horror Story so I feel compelled to watch it all.

I've also invested enough time into this season to have watched about 10 episodes, so I may as well see where it goes.

But I do find it a chore. People used to bash Freak Show here, and I miss that. I don't get the change given that the quality hasn't really improved.

The real mystery to me is why you even started Hotel if you heard that Coven was bad and you thought that Frakshow was terrible.

In many people's eyes the show has improved and those who don't think it has are probably smart enough to just not tune in.

The real mystery to me is why you even started Hotel if you heard that Coven was bad and you thought that Frakshow was terrible.

In many people's eyes the show has improved and those who don't think it has are probably smart enough to just not tune in.

I'm a masochist, I guess. I have no real answer outside of that and the completionist thing.

The voice inside of my head wants me to watch all of Coven, too.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The show has been flawed since its inception.

This seasons has been all over the place, but I have to say that I'm liking some of the larger arcs.

The end to the 10th episode is hilarious.

Nemesis_

Ok that last episode really was something.

Interesting also how The Countess attitude completely changed.

I guess the whole Valentino thing was what made her so cold and callous but as soon as he came back into her life she basically went back to a bit more human side of things?

There's always the hope the next season is better - to be honest, FreakShow started ok, it just became a trainwreck from the Halloween episode onwards. Hotel is the same: a mess of characters, sub-stories, moments that don't even try to be a cohesive TV series. Until the 5th or 6th episode I hoped the season would have started to pick up some steam - eventually I just gave up.

I like Kathy Bates and Denis O'Hare. They did a good job last episode.

Kathy Bates was good in Six Feet Under, the GOAT, and great in Misery.

dcelw540

I like Kathy Bates and Denis O'Hare. They did a good job last episode.

Kathy Bates was good in Six Feet Under, the GOAT, and great in Misery.
This is excalty the only thing that kept with this season, no lie this season is god awful, the story is garbage and makes no sense at time. Plus it keeps dragging on and on. Here's hoping next season is more focused on a few characters and makes it more grounded then focusing on over 6 different story lines.

Consensus on this show? Any good?

It's pretty bad, and perhaps the worst show I've watched all year. I want to like it, but it's dull, convoluted and generally uninteresting. It lacks cohesion, doesn't have an interesting storyline and takes the "Everything but the kitchen sink approach" again. Like every season I've seen outside of the first.

I guess it's a bit better than Freak Show, but Freak Show at least started off really well whereas this has only had one or two decent episodes.

Don't waste your time on this season, unless you're a masochistic completionist like myself. Watch the first one, and maybe Asylum.

Monocle

FYI: OCDChewie's opinion in no way resembles the consensus. There's nothing remotely "masochistic" about watching this great season. Unlike most of AHS, Hotel bothers with actual character development and background. The storytelling is coherent. The events grow organically from people's actions, actions with traceable motives that were properly established and not just contrived on the spot. Plus the show's whole style and setting is damn good.

Also of note: Lady Gaga somehow manages to top Myrtle Snow's glam factor.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'v not watched S1/2 in too long to rank them properly but 5>3>>>>>>>4

also I just wanted to post this gif

tumblr_o08q6u3eTZ1rzoil5o3_500.gif

FYI: OCDChewie's opinion in no way resembles the consensus. There's nothing remotely "masochistic" about watching this great season. Unlike most of AHS, Hotel bothers with actual character development and background. The storytelling is coherent. The events grow organically from people's actions, actions with traceable motives that were properly established and not just contrived on the spot. Plus the show's whole style and setting is damn good.

Also of note: Lady Gaga somehow manages to top Myrtle Snow's glam factor.

It's just my opinion. I've read a lot of negative stuff elsewhere, though.

Astral Dog

SCREAM QUEENS almost killed my interest on this show, it was surprisingly good, now lets see what happened here :p

Edit: Boomer was dissapointingly wasted this season :/

Ranking the seasons so far:
3 (1st 7 episodes)>2>>5>1>>>>>4>3(the last 6 episodes).

Truthfully thought Coven started off really strong and the cast was amazing(except for farmiga). However, its second half devolved into nonsense with cringey and campy musical moments.

As another poster said all seasons are flawed and most of the same issues occur every season. At this point I feel you know what you're getting into with AHS. There are some seasons that have done better jobs than other seasons but issues like too many convoluted, confusing plot lines that don't make sense. Seasons like Asylum, Murder House and Hotel have at least explained every single plot line and covered all mysteries/plotholes.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Way better than 3/4, I like it more than 1 but not as much as 2.

Possibly the best season, if it resolves its side plots better than S2. A massive improvement over S4.

It's pretty bad, and perhaps the worst show I've watched all year. I want to like it, but it's dull, convoluted and generally uninteresting. It lacks cohesion, doesn't have an interesting storyline and takes the "Everything but the kitchen sink approach" again. Like every season I've seen outside of the first.

I guess it's a bit better than Freak Show, but Freak Show at least started off really well whereas this has only had one or two decent episodes.

Don't waste your time on this season, unless you're a masochistic completionist like myself. Watch the first one, and maybe Asylum.

Season 1 >= 5 > 2 > 4/3

In other words it's pretty damn good, fun and enjoyable.

There is no consensus on this show - it's extremely divisive. Even among fans, very few can agree which season is the best.

Hxku6Km.gif

Thanks for the opinions peeps. S3 and S4 burned me too much to even attempt S5 without hearing that this season at least tried to wrap things up without sloppily dropping half the plotlines in the process.

I'll probably check this season out.

Asylum > Murder House > Coven >>>>> Freak Show

I really enjoyed the final couple episodes of Asylum...really felt like they stuck the ending. I also think that Lana "Banana" Winters is the best character this show has ever had.

Murder House felt like the most consistent (Doesn't reach the highs of Asylum though). It was probably the simplest season in regards to how many storylines it had and how they were connected to the main plot.

Coven is weird....it actually grew on me a LOT since it ended. Like, during it's actual airing I was somewhat iffy on it, but in retrospect...it was actually pretty fun. You just kinda have to get used to the fact that it was meant to be a tad bit more "young adult" and whimsical.

Freak Show was garbage. Don't feel like they ever figured out exactly what it was meant to be.

I'll wait for this season to end before final judgement, but I'm really enjoying it as of now. Want to see how they wrap everything up. It's probably the best acted season since Asylum.

Jyester

Asylum > Murder House > Coven >>>>> Freak Show

I really enjoyed the final couple episodes of Asylum...really felt like they stuck the ending. I also think that Lana "Banana" Winters is the best character this show has ever had.

Murder House felt like the most consistent (Doesn't reach the highs of Asylum though). It was probably the simplest season in regards to how many storylines it had and how they were connected to the main plot.

Coven is weird....it actually grew on me a LOT since it ended. Like, during it's actual airing I was somewhat iffy on it, but in retrospect...it was actually pretty fun. You just kinda have to get used to the fact that it was meant to be a tad bit more "young adult" and whimsical.

Freak Show was garbage. Don't feel like they ever figured out exactly what it was meant to be.

I'll wait for this season to end before final judgement, but I'm really enjoying it as of now. Want to see how they wrap everything up. It's probably the best acted season since Asylum.

This inspires a bit of hope. I checked out halfway through the previous season. Coven was insultingly bad near the end and Freak Show appeared to be going the same route. 1 and 2 weren't masterpieces either, but a whole lot more enjoyable. Might give this season a shot!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
https://45.media.tumblr.com/8ddce6586c8a7310b9cd4b3c35c09ce9/tumblr_o08q6u3eTZ1rzoil5o3_500.gif

Is that from the Men's Health cover shoot? :x

I guess I need to go buy that magazine now. For... uh... science.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh they've remembered that the daughter exists how lovely
I hope she goes full vampire killer for laughs but chances are that she'll be turned by her mum as will John and they'll go off and live a happy eternal life together

Eggbok

I missed the beginning is countess gaga dead?
Edit: Nvm

Edit: QUEENIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OMFGAAG YAAS

Double Edit: WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKK WAS THAT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Downhome

Wow, they are really tying this together here...

Oh man, this wouldn't make a bit of sense if you didn't see that season, lmao.

Top Bottom