• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Inside Look at Marvel’s Spider-Man

For a game that's still a way's out I'm pretty damn impressed that the animation looks as good as it does. Its not perfect but its really good and with some polish it should look great.

I find it rather ridiculous that some are comparing Spider-Man, a superhuman agile character with something like Arno Dorian from ACU.

It's missing a lot of the nuances that make the animation in those movies look so good so I definitely disagree. Then ofc there's games with literally pitch perfect animation due to small scale. Like Inside. Good lord Inside is perfection. It's the best that Spiderman has looked in a game but bafflingly still has the same issues that I remember having with the past spiderman games when it came to the animation blending.

I mean the general audience is really not going to care about the little things you're mentioning. People just want a really good Spider-Man game again. I was just talking about how amazing the animation looks to me and it would be even more impressive if the open world is pretty massive with lots of things to do.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean the general audience is really not going to care about the little things you're mentioning. People just want a really good Spider-Man game again. I was just talking about how amazing the animation looks to me and it would be even more impressive if the open world is pretty massive with lots of things to do.
I mean general audiences don't care that the narrative in COD games is piss poor so does that mean we should stop critiquing narratives in games altogether and settle for the order 1886? Audiences DO care about the little things. In fact, we have multiple threads, articles, and videos about that.

Insomniac I know you here lurking
Plz
latest

I mean general audiences don't care that the narrative in COD games is piss poor so does that mean we should stop critiquing narratives in games altogether and settle for the order 1886? Audiences DO care about the little things. In fact, we have multiple threads specifically about the little things in some games.

I'm sorry but Neogaf is not the general audience. Also, you can nitpick any game you want. I didn't tell you to stop or anything. You responded to my opinion on a games animation which again the general audience won't care because they just want a good Spider-Man game.

Ascenion

Those visuals are pure wizardry.

This.

I'm still in awe at how good the lighting looks too, just insane.

I think it's really impressive that their animation team is nailing Spider-Man's body language, like the way his body stretches and moves on all his attacks, acrobatics, and swinging and the motion blur and other effects. It feels so right, like the collectively pictured cinematic Spider-Man.

Like this looks so damned good with the movements, body positions, and speedlines (?) on his kicks to show off their speed, and then there's the slide move he does on that last guy right after that punch in the full E3 playthrough which is also amazing.

Just make the Peter Parker bits Persona-lite and I'm fucking down.

Yes please!

vegohead

This game already delivered for me, as my friend who hates Yuri Lowenthall went on one of the funniest rants I've heard in a long time due to Yuri's role as spiderman in the game.

Pretty big fan of him so I hope he delivers.

This all looks cool, but I have to play it myself. Most of the web-slinging looks great, some looks a bit too slow, some looks weird, but I really can't tell if it will actually feel right, same with the (lack of) animation blending—that could help make the game feel better and more responsive, and only looks weird when not actually being played.

Though I can look at footage of PS2 SM2 swinging and it still looks like it feels incredible to control (though me having played some of that is probably why).

I hope we can see ourselves in one of the Glass buildings , like some Spiderman movies shot.

I think it was Digital Foundry that pointed this out, but the thing the Helicopter is carrying is visible in the windows of the buildings as it's flying by at one point so I hope Spider-Man will be too.

So are we still expecting the game to be released in the first half of 2018? Seems too good to be true.

Those new snipets of gameplay looks so goddamn amazing, if Insomniac really delivers the game in the first half of 2018, they going straight up to my top of favorite developpers. I'm a so damn thrilled to see a spider-man game having a studio as talented as them.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So are we still expecting the game to be released in the first half of 2018? Seems too good to be true.

Those new snipets of gameplay looks so goddamn amazing, if Insomniac really delivers the game in the first half of 2018, they going straight up to my top of favorite developpers. I'm a so damn thrilled to see a spider-man game having a studio as talented as them.

god i hope so. seems like May/June would be a great place for it

Was there a SM game with fighting while on vertical surfaces? I recall seeing something like that before, and I wonder what this new game's combat will be like in atypical areas (sides of buildings, midair, etc.) since all we've seen is relatively grounded combat against normal dudes.

23, "older" lol

That's cool though, I didn't like how homecoming went back to teen status.

8 years is a considerable amount of time and Spider-Man canonically began when he was 15

The God

Was there a SM game with fighting while on vertical surfaces? I recall seeing something like that before, and I wonder what this new game's combat will be like in atypical areas (sides of buildings, midair, etc.) since all we've seen is relatively grounded combat against normal dudes.

Web of Shadows, currently the GOAT Spider-Man game

bunkitz

Bit disappointed that it's just a dev diary and not that alternate gameplay footage mentioned before... but damn, the new shit's pretty exciting. And it's always a pleasure hearing devs talk about their games. The web swinging looks better than what we saw at E3, though, but the wall running still looks pretty weird...

8 years is a considerable amount of time and Spider-Man canonically began when he was 15

I know, it's just funny to hear 23 and old in the same sentence.

bunkitz

hTmS6L7.gif

His movement looks like it's straight out of the fucking movies. Insomniac is doing an incredible job.

That's straight up taken right out of ASM2 and is actually my favorite moment.
uortrqh.gif

Good god. I'm a little disappointed at myself for not realizing that it came straight out of TASM2... Say what you will about the Amazing Spider-Man films, but the action and web-swinging in those films were the best. And TASM2's suit is the sexiest beast of all. Mmm.

And yeah, I'll have to agree about the animations. They do look fantastic, but the transition from one to another is a little too fast, making it look somewhat unnatural. Not a big complaint from me, but fixing that will definitely go a long way. If you can make an incredible looking game look even better, why not, right?

8byte

Banned
Yea that's not what I meant. I'm saying the animation blending doesn't seem to be where it should be at this stage and that I hope that's something they work on. Like how weightless it feels when he switches from swinging to wall running or how he stops the car on a dime seemingly ignoring the idea of momentum.

There's been a clear tradeoff here for responsive gameplay. Let's not make this something it isn't.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't know if you posted the wrong gif, but damn those animations look great.
The blending doesn't. The animations look great in isolation from one another.

There's been a clear tradeoff here for responsive gameplay. Let's not make this something it isn't.
I mean when even the cinematic animations have some of the same issues, (and are completely absent from player control). I think it's more a workflow issue.

I don't know how to contribute to the discussion so here's a shipost.
Ok.

Ricky_R

The blending doesn't. The animations look great in isolation from one another.

I mean when even the cinematic animations have some of the same issues, (and are completely absent from player control). I think it's more a workflow issue.

Ok.

It's actually not a shitpost, just an observation of an obvious tendency.

Top Bottom