• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Inside Look at Marvel’s Spider-Man

VLiberty

Every thread having to do with this game devolves into this bullshit.

Fuck it! Great time to be a Spidey fan.

Woooooo boy!

we can probably extend this to most games developed by Insomniac. I mean sometimes it's ok - they needed the Resistance 2 backlash and it lead to Resistance 3 having one of the best FPS campaigns ever, and they definitely fucked up some aspects(not the gameplay, luckily) in R&C over the years - but I swear they have some kind of curse as far as board reactions go lol

Defect

Besides the web slinging I'm most excited for the Peter gameplay/story

I'd like to see Spiderman 2 kind of issues he faces and whatnot but expanded obviously.

What you don't want an old bald man in his green footie pajamas with a fur fringe?

I could never get around the fur collar

I thought the bomber jacket in Homecoming was a nice nod to that though.

I'd prefer something more low-key like Spectacular Spider-Man Vulture. I'd also prefer if they keep Rhino out of this game.

They could finally do Rhino justice with some destructible indoor environments, or a chase through the city with him barreling through cars, or anything more than the simple bull fights from the early 3D SM games.

I generally agree about the other villains.

Glass

Anyone else get way too hyped for a game, all others disappears into the background, meanwhile you consume every ounce of relevant media to try and keep you sated? That's where I am with this.

Van Bur3n

giphy.gif

Like a little fun mini-game. The whole thing can take 30 minutes to complete but you can stop whenever you like. Pretty simple really.

Bonus collectible being Dr. Pepper. Find all of the Dr. Pepper cans hidden in Peter Parker's room for a Dr. Pepper Spider suit.

Anyone else get way too hyped for a game, all others disappears into the background, meanwhile you consume every ounce of relevant media to try and keep you sated? That's where I am with this.

I know that feeling all too well. Kind of glad I'm out of that circle now.

i wonder when we're getting that alt E3 demo >_<

Can you provide a list of what's acceptable to post about? Like a ToS, perhaps?

I hope that snap you're talking about is present too. If it's not, and the swinging feels intuitive, I'll be okay though.

Do you have any other way to address the feedback besides calling it nitpicky?
Which is a laughable concept considering how iterative art is.

i say nitpicking as in all the other animations are pretty stellar except the ones being pointed out. I didn't say you can't point it out or discuss it. i'm just saying i'm rolling my eyes hard at it. Particularly when it could totally be a design choice for them to prioritize control over animation

People who hate the suit, just know that they will be more than happy to sell you a ton of alternatives.

Yep.

Anyway, love this new suit. The white spider looks great.

Incredible how far graphics and animations have come along that a high budget AAA Spider-Man game from Sony could rival the CGI animation work their movie studios produced for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I'm really happy with Insomniac's work thus far. I initially thought not having Sucker Punch would be a sin, but this is looking more and more exciting each and every time I see it.

Best wishes.

Yeah, it's incredibly impressive what Insomniac is pulling off here.

A mission where you have to juggle between going on a date with MJ and stopping some crimes would be great.

Yeah. This would be fantastic if they can pull this off. Which is something they've talked about aiming for. Capturing how the two parts interfere with each other.
I also like the idea that's been brought up a number of times of something kind of like Persona with all of these characters you interact with as Peter in the city.

Yep looks like Peter and MJ are a couple at this point.

Whoa This game has so much potential. Damn

Thats where i'm at. I rarely get it, haven't had it since MGSV.

Side note: Love the avatar. I went to a Fifth Element screening over the weekend and Milla, Chris Tucker, and Luc Besson were there. Man Milla is still gorgeous <3

Glass

Whoa This game has so much potential. Damn

Thats where i'm at. I rarely get it, haven't had it since MGSV.

Side note: Love the avatar. I went to a Fifth Element screening over the weekend and Milla, Chris Tucker, and Luc Besson were there. Man Milla is still gorgeous <3

I've already had it with Zelda this year, never had it with a game not due out until the following year though. It's going to be a long wait.

Side note: That's awesome. And wow, she really is.

But we're not talking about fluid sims, we're talking about character animation, which is much more easy to discuss when it comes to different teams using similar methods to stand out among the crowd.
But what if a team used a dissimilar method to stand out even more? You very much seem to think this would be a failure. Novelty is not allowed.

You're not using this word correctly in the context of this discussion.
Yes I am. Besides "further instances the same as existing examples", exactly what definition do you propose we use for "homogenization"?

So basically you're saying that it would be bad to maintain a high quality standard based on what came before.....what?
No, I am saying that "high quality" does not necessarily equate to "based on what came before". You seem to be so entrenched in there being a Right Way and a Wrong Way to animate things, that you can't grasp this.

Neither is poor animation blending. :|
"No animation blending" or "less animation blending" are descriptions. "Poor animation blending" is a proscription, a demand that transitions be handled a certain specific way or be stupid and wrong.

This is literally what they're doing already.
Except that at some points, they deviate from prior art. And those are exactly the points where you complain and say they're failing.

I'm saying I don't think it's a purposeful thing to emphasize his speed but rather a legitimate animation flaw like in other games that have the same issue. Including the other spiderman games.
Unlike everything else you've said, this is a real counterargument. If Insomniac is trying real hard to be like other games but just not making it, then perhaps your advice about what to fix is helpful.

But the fact is, they haven't articulated their vision publicly with enough detail that we can be sure of this. My alternative take is that, as a seasoned team of industry veterans, the work is shaped (mostly) how they want it. If the methods to match their vision are common art, and so obvious to animators outside the company, I assume they'd already be in place if desired. Their absence by itself argues that Insomniac is pursuing a different goal. Whether that's a sense of superhuman speed, or immediacy of player control, or violence-effacing cartoonishness, or whatever, I think they should be allowed to pursue that.

Your stance seems to be either that Insomniac shouldn't reach for anything else--which I've argued against until now--or that they're already not trying for something new, they're just not sufficiently skilled at animation to get the old thing they're after. Which position is your actual one?

Glass

Sorry for the bump, but have Insomniac said whether there'll be anything coming out of SD Comic Con this weekend? I'm not sure I can go tee total until PSX.

TimFL

Yes ever since I saw that Subway battle picture I wanted that to happen in game, good news

Yeah can't wait for the topic discussing the insane amount of QTE in the subway battle. Because that (and animations) is everything GAF talks about in regards to this game.

Any news on the extended E3 gameplay demo? "Very soon".

Yeah can't wait for the topic discussing the insane amount of QTE in the subway battle. Because that (and animations) is everything GAF talks about in regards to this game.

Any news on the extended E3 gameplay demo? "Very soon".

I do wonder how they'll have a good boss battle in such a tight space.

Top Bottom