• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: What really happened in Final Fantasy VIII (SPOILERS)

Himuro said:
FF12 is more skillfully plotted and scripted than FF8?

My claim is that a game whose script was left unfinished and then had a final version thrown together by random schmoes they found in the basement is still better-written than FF8, yes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MechaX said:
If Ultimecia knew that much, then she would have known that Seifer and the Galbadia army would be utterly ineffective against Squall (if they were effective, Squall wouldn't even have been alive to kill her as the only way for Ultimecia to know that Squall would be her demise is if the Time Loop went through its cycle at least once, unless Ultimecia is literally stupid and insane enough to do the same course of events twice and expect something different).
Ellome knew she couldn't change the past with her power before she started sending Squall etc back in time in an attempt to get Laguna to a certain point in time. Squall wasn't really Ultimecia's goal though. Time compression was. She left the anti SeeD stuff to Seifer by and large.

If that was the case, why didn't she just try to end things permanently personally rather than staging an ineffective Garden battle and waiting for Squall to reach her? Or even send a massive force to Fisherman's Horizon at the point where Balamb was the most vulnerable (since the Galbadian's at least knew where they were) pretty easily?
It could've been that she was trying to finish things off personally when she was waiting for Squall in the garden.

She did order Fisherman's Horizon destroyed.

ElFly

There's no way Ultimecia knows Squall will kill her, even if the time loop ran twice (time loops don't work like that!).

Rahul

charlequin said:
It's not like the OP's theory actually makes FF8 a good story anyway. The dead Squall theory makes the whole game into the mother of all shaggy-dog stories -- you spend 40 hours of your life following this series of events that is ultimately meaningless, providing you no insight into anything, no resolution of dramatic tension, and no informational resolution to the intriguing mysteries raised on the first disc. It is, in fact, dramatically worse storytelling than FF8 taken at face-value, which itself is far and away the least skillfully plotted and scripted of the 3D Final Fantasies.

The Squall's Dead theory provides insight into Squall's character, resolves the weirdness that has been happening since the start of disc 2, and the informational resolution to what happened on disc 1 is like the 3rd rabbi's story in A Serious Man: who cares?

I can play this game too!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ElFly said:
There's no way Ultimecia knows Squall will kill her, even if the time loop ran twice (time loops don't work like that!).
She's guessing. Easy to fixate on the guy with the impractical sword that keeps stabbing her tho.

Himuro said:
Now, at the end of FF8 there's a huge celebration for beating Ultimecia. Wouldn't you think they'd record who defeated her? Surely she KNEW who was supposed to kill her (in this, Squall) but didn't know WHY (interrogating Squall).
By Ultimecia's time, the records seem to have been lost. (Or they were just kept solely by SeeD) Ultimecia seems to be basing her decisions off a vague legend. (Which seems closest to that show Laguna was filming.)

ElFly

Oh yeah, you are right, Himuro.

edit: even if she somehow started noticing that Squall could become a nuisance, by that point she already blew her big chance to easily kill Squall.

Micius

I just checked out the website and the theory as you presented it, skipped some of the earlier posts in this thread, saw that the discussion got derailed a bit.

I think that the plot of Final Fantasy VIII was meant to be taken at face value. I don't think that the writers planned a major Mulholland Drive-esque interpretation, and the plot was simply meant to be as cheesy and convenient as it is. That being said though, your interpretation certainly made the plot much more interesting and gives it aesthetic merit where there was little before. While there are definitely flaws in your theory, for me personally, overlooking them to accept the more subversive interpretation of the plot is preferable over enduring the awkward writing and accepting the game as it's written.

So thanks for adding value to a game that while I enjoyed, never really felt like it had any kind of edge. Now I feel more motivation to dig the game out for a replay at some point in the future.

Rahul

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1212214/ said:
Ok, wow; just told this to a friend of mine who mentioned that he actually did leave Squall dead his entire game, just as a joke; apparently the game will revive him with 1 hp for boss fights, so he'd quickly die again. The thought of people carrying on conversations with the almost-always silent Squall (who is actually dead), and of him reviving just in time to see some horrible, nightmarish battle, only to promptly die again in terror and pain, is somehow one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard. I think that might make me a terrible person, but I'll be laughing all the way to hell...
:lol :lol :lol

Rahul

Micius said:
I just checked out the website and the theory as you presented it, skipped some of the earlier posts in this thread, saw that the discussion got derailed a bit.

I think that the plot of Final Fantasy VIII was meant to be taken at face value. I don't think that the writers planned a major Mulholland Drive-esque interpretation, and the plot was simply meant to be as cheesy and convenient as it is. That being said though, your interpretation certainly made the plot much more interesting and gives it aesthetic merit where there was little before. While there are definitely flaws in your theory, for me personally, overlooking them to accept the more subversive interpretation of the plot is preferable over enduring the awkward writing and accepting the game as it's written.

So thanks for adding value to a game that while I enjoyed, never really felt like it had any kind of edge. Now I feel more motivation to dig the game out for a replay at some point in the future.

Happy to hear it, thanks for posting!

Himuro said:
Really.

So many of my interpretations of the game could be flat out wrong because of the English translation?
That's the original:

EDEA:

"...Fetid...dirty fools.
We witches have lived in your fantasy since ancient times.
You gave birth to a foolish fantasy.
Witches, clad in frightening attire, cursing and slaughtering righteous men in cruel ceremonies.
Frightening witches with their ruthless witchcraft, burning down your green fields and freezing your warm homes.
...foolish."

SQUALL:

"...?"

EDEA:

"And now you are sighing in relief, knowing that one of these frightening witches from your fantasy has become the ally of Galbadia?"

DELING:

"E-Edea... What on earth...Ede...!"

EDEA:

"The reality is harsh. The reality is nothing but harsh. And you fools can't do anything about it!"

EDEA:

"Flee into your fantasy! In your fantasy world, I'll keep dancing for you.
As a witch, I'll bring fear and keep dancing for eternity!
You and me. Together, we'll bring about this final fantasy.
In that fantasy, life and death will be but sweet dreams.
The witch together with the fantasy, for eternity!
The witch's servants, Galbadia, for eternity!

ElFly

The standard translation
Edea: ...Lowlifes. ...Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my
ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one whom you have condemned
for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless
sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered
countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now? She stands
before your very eyes to become your new ruler. HAHAHAHAHA.

Squall: (...?)

Edea: A new era has just begun.

President Deling: E-Edea... Are you alright...? Ede...!

Edea: (using her claws to stab and burn the president) This is reality.
No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show.

We watch the movie of the crowds from the sky view. Edea threw out the
president and the president died while burning.

Edea: Rest assured, you fools. Your time will come. This is only the
beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a
fantasy beyond your imagination.

Edea leaves the podium.

Edea: Let us end this ceremony with a sacrifice.

The original japanese makes it seem like Ultimecia is a standard pure-evil world-conqueror Ultimecia.

Rahul

Holy shit, that is a COMPLETELY different translation on a scale far worse than FFT or FF7. Mind blown.

"Flee into your fantasy! In your fantasy world, I'll keep dancing for you.
As a witch, I'll bring fear and keep dancing for eternity!
You and me. Together, we'll bring about this final fantasy.
In that fantasy, life and death will be but sweet dreams.
The witch and the fantasy, for eternity!
Me, the witch and Galbadia, for eternity!

Forgive me if I, with my tainted view of things, interpret this in a certain way. Wow.

Himuro said:
What the fuck.
Note that this was one of the last few games that were translated before SQUARE got really professional with its localizations.

The most important remark she makes is "for eternity", though. Doesn't sound very mortal to me...

Rahul

SuperDowns said:
Am I the only one that wasn't able to finish FF8, not because of story headaches but not having a crew that can do it.
Welcome to me in 1999. Got to Adel and couldn't beat it because I didn't understand junctioning and couldn't leave to get new magic. Whee!

ElFly

Prime Blue said:
Note that this was one of the last few games that were translated before SQUARE got really professional with its localizations.

The most important remark she makes is "for eternity", though. Doesn't sound very mortal to me...

She is referring to time compression probably.

edit: the easiest way to power through FF8 is to keep Squall at 1 HP, then abuse the Renzokuken.

Zoe

SuperDowns said:
Am I the only one that wasn't able to finish FF8, not because of story headaches but not having a crew that can do it.

When I played it when it first came out, I didn't understand the junction system. My Squall was way overpowered, and because the monsters scaled with him, I wasn't able to get past the Adel fight.

Narag

SuperDowns said:

This was nearly me after I finally played it last year. I got to the end not nearly geared out, barely made it through her castle, and was too lazy to go back and gear right so just pressed my luck.
From last year's My Summer of Final Fantasy thread:
Wow, refined a bunch of cards due to wiping early and being too lazy to go back out into the overworld to get better weapons and gave Ultimecia yet another shot today. While I'm sure via proper weapons, junctioning, etc trivializes the fight, it was a little beyond what I currently had in my stocks, so away I went. Entered phase 4 with just Rinoa and Squall and did well until the first Apocalypse. After that, I needed some judicious use of elixir, aura stones, and the hero item for invicibility. Long story short, I get apocalypsed just as the last Hero wore off followed by a Hell's Judgement. I say fuck it and its Renzokuken spam time. First goes off, she draws Apocalypse from herself. I expected to die right after my next Renzokuken but nope, Hell's Judgement again which still leaves me at 1 hp. I press my luck due to lack of recovery items that'd get me to a level to survive Apocalypse and toss out one last Renzokuken. Victory!
Ultimecia HP: 0
Squall HP: 1

Rebochan

Prime Blue said:

"Eternity" doesn't mean she's immortal. The Sorceresses life spans are established in the Ultimania and appear supported by the fact there aren't immortal Sorceresses running around and Adel's hunt for a successor after her death.

I've heard the English script of FF8, while being a far more *polished* script than FF7 and Tactics, is not entirely accurate. To the point where I've known people that played it in Japanese and liked the game better. As someone else said in this thread (or maybe the other one?), video game scripts tend to lean more towards adaptations than translations.

FF8's English script is actually quite good for using proper English grammar and spelling. But it does create some issues with how that translator chose to adapt the story. Some of the characters come off rather differently.

ElFly

Himuro said:
Man, I demand FF8 retranslated NOW.

Quick google doesn't show such a project.

But there is this gamefaqs thread about a guy playing the japanese game and posting the differences he meets.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=197343&topic=48710512

His take on Edea's speech is slightly different (maybe cruder) than the one by Prime Blue.

I killed Ultimecia with Angelo's Counter, after spamming dozens of Renzokukens. That dog was the real fated SeeD!

Zoe

I certainly prefer the Japanese Squall, and his relationship with Rinoa comes off as more natural.

Roto13

ElFly said:
Quick google doesn't show such a project.

But there is this gamefaqs thread about a guy playing the japanese game and posting the differences he meets.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=197343&topic=48710512

His take on Edea's speech is slightly different (maybe cruder) than the one by Prime Blue.

That Guy said:
Okay, playing the game more and more it seems that a lot of liberties were taking in writing this plot. But the thing is ... the translator isn't a very good writer.

Japanese ver translation (mine):

Rinoa: You're not nice!

Rinoa: Not nice!

USA ver:

Rinoa: You're mean!

Rinoa: MEANY!!!

I'd love to read a proper retranslation of FFVIII, but I'm not bothering with weeaboo bullshit like this. :lol

MechaX

Freshmaker said:
Ellome knew she couldn't change the past with her power before she started sending Squall etc back in time in an attempt to get Laguna to a certain point in time. Squall wasn't really Ultimecia's goal though. Time compression was. She left the anti SeeD stuff to Seifer by and large.

I see your point, but Ultimecia's ulterior goal in attaining Time Compression essentially was to avoid her death. If she really had some kind of cognizance in Squall's role of her own death even despite all of the obstacles (Seifer, Edea, Galbadia, Adel, Time Compression itself), then it makes zero sense that Squall wasn't her primary target. This is somewhat mitigated when concerning her effort to catch Ellone, but even this would be nonsensical when considering that the crux of Ultimecia even knowing about Squall as her defeat would require the loop to have occurred at least once before and she would know that she would have died even despite Time Compression.

It could've been that she was trying to finish things off personally when she was waiting for Squall in the garden.

If you want to finish something off permanently, you just go do it yourself. You don't waste manpower and resources in something that (if Ultimecia really was aware of what would happen) would fail regardless.

She did order Fisherman's Horizon destroyed.

And Galbadia responds with a whooping couple dozen infantry men and a heavily damaged, barely functional killer Zamboni machine. For all of Ultimecia's perception, she didn't even think that the logic of "Well, these SeeD almost defeated me not too long ago, but I'm sure the ineffective military will get it done; and we'll also not use all of our technologically superior instruments like our hover cycles, our power armor, or our FLYING GARDEN" was a bad idea? It's like she purposely set herself up for failure.

And wow at the original Japanese translation at that scene.

Shubit

I like the basic premise of Rahuls theory (his explanation is somewhat "reaching" though) but I feel there is a big gapping hole in it, namely Ellone's involvement in the whole thing, more specifically her obvious acquaintance with Squall from the very beginning (Ellone: Squall...so we meet again.) and her meddling with the team, sending them back in time on numerous occasions through out disc one which falls in with how the story folds out later on.

Another quote from Ellone suggesting she knew both Squall and Quistis from as far back as childhood: *Squall and Quistis walk into the scene as Ellone is trapped by monsters in the training center*

Ellone said:
Squall!!! Squall! Quisty?

Was Quistis referred to as "whatever her name is spelled in kana"-chan :D at this moment in the Japanese language version? Which would suggest more than a casual or formal acquaintance... rather Ellone's emotional connection towards Quistis.

A later reference to Quisty made during Irvine's recollection of life in the orphanage:

Irvine said:
'Cause you two seemed to have forgotten! It just kinda sucked
that I was the only one who remembered... Spunky little Sefie and bossy
little Quisty.

I think the game should be taken at face value, a tale of an introvert breaking out of his shell, accepting the world surrounding him and getting to grips with responsibilities of adulthood facing him, bad as it is in it's execution...

...With short turn around times they had back then I doubt much of the story, other than the general themes and setting got fleshed out before they were already deep in the actual development. Take into account the various ideas on locale, plot events, character development, etc. that (having to fill out 40 to 60 hours of play time) inevitably got tacked on late into development, under time constraints the end result couldn't have been anything but a complete mess of a plot. Standard of major jrpg games' plots back then. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I found FFX much more coherent both in it's plot conception and execution.

Still the game hit at just the right time for me, when I was 17 and could relate to the character of Squall on pretty much every level (embarrassing as it is to admit) and, nostalgia fueled or not, remains one of my all time favorites to this very day...

Zoe

Shubit said:
Was Quistis referred to as "whatever her name is spelled in kana"-chan :D at this moment in the Japanese language version? Which would suggest more than a casual or formal acquaintance... rather Ellone's emotional connection towards Quistis.

They just chop off the 's' (or 'su' in Japanese) from her name.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MechaX said:
I see your point, but Ultimecia's ulterior goal in attaining Time Compression essentially was to avoid her death. If she really had some kind of cognizance in Squall's role of her own death even despite all of the obstacles (Seifer, Edea, Galbadia, Adel, Time Compression itself), then it makes zero sense that Squall wasn't her primary target.
I think her goal was more to avoid her imprisonment. Create an ideal world just for herself. Avoiding her death was seen as more of a bonus.

This is somewhat mitigated when concerning her effort to catch Ellone, but even this would be nonsensical when considering that the crux of Ultimecia even knowing about Squall as her defeat would require the loop to have occurred at least once before and she would know that she would have died even despite Time Compression.
Not if someone in the past wrote down somewhere that Ultimecia is killed by SeeD after they killed her. She'd been introduced from the future, and the historical record is what chained her to the time loop in the first place.

I don't really get where you're getting these wierd time loop rules. If they hadn't stopped her, there would be no loop. If they hadn't taken steps to prevent the time compression, Ultimecia would have no cause to attempt time compression so there would be no loop.

If you want to finish something off permanently, you just go do it yourself. You don't waste manpower and resources in something that (if Ultimecia really was aware of what would happen) would fail regardless.
Pitting SeeD against SeeD probably worked well enough in her view. It weakened both gardens involved in the attack.

And Galbadia responds with a whooping couple dozen infantry men and a heavily damaged, barely functional killer Zamboni machine. For all of Ultimecia's perception, she didn't even think that the logic of "Well, these SeeD almost defeated me not too long ago, but I'm sure the ineffective military will get it done; and we'll also not use all of our technologically superior instruments like our hover cycles, our power armor, or our FLYING GARDEN" was a bad idea? It's like she purposely set herself up for failure.
She wasn't exactly all powerful. By the time she'd decided that Squall was probably a major threat, she got beaten silly by the team and was forced to jump into Riona.

And wow at the original Japanese translation at that scene.
Yep. It makes the story even dumber.

ElFly

The gamefaqs thread devolves quickly.

Is there any other particularly important speech in which the fandom maybe reads too much in the game, that prime blue or some other nice person could translate?

Probably the dialogue around "the fated SeeD" would be interesting.

Maybe Ultimecia didn't really know about her downfall; if the self fullfilled prophecy theory is accepted, she assumed the name of Ultimecia just in reference to the legendary witch that tried time compression, then came around into getting the means to achieve that.

So her main objective as Edea/Adel/Rinoa is Ellone, and the fated SeeD line is just a reference about how pesky Squall is becoming; it doesn't make sense that she would recognize the guy who would finally kill her before TC is achieved, and in the garden battle of all places.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Segata Sanshiro said:
Indeed. They need to learn to keep dead things dead the way we do in the west, you know, like Superman, Andy Kaufman, Hal Jordan, Norman Osborn, Bucky, Elvis Presley, Jason Todd, Ian Malcolm, Jesus Christ, the Yo Quiero Taco Bell Chihuahua, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Patch from Days of Our Lives, Patrick Duffy, Optimus Prime, Conan O'Brien's career, the McRib, and disco.

Disco never really died, it just went underground and mutated into House.

Rebochan

Roto13 said:
I'd love to read a proper retranslation of FFVIII, but I'm not bothering with weeaboo bullshit like this. :lol

I disagree. The logic he gave was that one script made Rinoa simply protest Squall's attitude and one made her sound like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum. Yea, his literal translation is nowhere close to real English, but there's a lot more leeway in how to translate a line like that to preserve the character.

Some alternatives that sound like naturaal English dialog:

"You're rude! RUDE!"

"You're cruel! CRUEL!"

"You have no heart! NO HEART!"

"Snake. SNAAAAAAAAKE!"

Okay, I made up that last one.

I think he mainly pulled that line out because it's one of the lines Rinoa gets early on that tend to make English players hate her. A little shifting in word choice creates a completely different impression of the character.

Don't believe me? Tell me right now then - what happens when you change "No Russian" to "Kill all the Russians?"

Roto13

Rebochan said:
I disagree. The logic he gave was that one script made Rinoa simply protest Squall's attitude and one made her sound like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum. Yea, his literal translation is nowhere close to real English, but there's a lot more leeway in how to translate a line like that to preserve the character.

Some alternatives that sound like naturaal English dialog:

"You're rude! RUDE!"

"You're cruel! CRUEL!"

"You have no heart! NO HEART!"

"Snake. SNAAAAAAAAKE!"

Okay, I made up that last one.

I think he mainly pulled that line out because it's one of the lines Rinoa gets early on that tend to make English players hate her. A little shifting in word choice creates a completely different impression of the character.

Don't believe me? Tell me right now then - what happens when you change "No Russian" to "Kill all the Russians?"
That's all based on the assumption isn't supposed to be childish at the beginning of the game. (She is.)

Rebochan

Roto13 said:
That's all based on the assumption isn't supposed to be childish at the beginning of the game. (She is.)

She's supposed to be immature, but I think there's still a fine line between general immaturity and sheer obnoxiousness. She couldn't have gotten as far as she did on her own if her reaction to everything was a temper tantrum and she responded to everyone with baby talk. She had a level of competency to get there, just extreme naivety and bad motivations that held her back.

Rebochan said:
The Sorceresses life spans are established in the Ultimania and appear supported by the fact there aren't immortal Sorceresses running around and Adel's hunt for a successor after her death.
ULTIMANIA is written by the staff of Studio Bent Stuff, not Nojima.

Rahul said:
Welcome to me in 1999. Got to Adel and couldn't beat it because I didn't understand junctioning and couldn't leave to get new magic. Whee!
Wow, I'm seeing a pattern here... I also couldn't get past Adel when it came out because I didn't like or understand junctioning, and summoning seemed to work well enough. I think it's safe to say that a game's combat system is a little broken if it lets players get ~30 hours into a game before letting them know that they've been doing it wrong...

As for your Squal's Dead theory, it definitely sounds interesting, but I wish I'd read it 10 years ago when I played it since I don't really remember the plot now (and no offense, but there's no way that I'd replay 40 hours just to see if you're right :D).

Yeah I'm curious about the translation of the last lines of the game, from the time the party encounters Ultimecia until when Squall asks "Am I alone" or whatever.

The thing about that is, when a girl calls you "mean", it's because she likes you. When she says "meany" after it, it's because she wants to look cute. Of course context in everything.

Rahul said:
The Squall's Dead theory provides insight into Squall's character

What insight, precisely, are we gaining through this approach that is not present in the vanilla narrative? That Squall is an emo jerk who secretly underneath his harsh facade wishes for romantic love, familial bonds, and camaraderie? OH WAIT THAT'S ALL ALREADY IN THE GAME

the informational resolution to what happened on disc 1 is like the 3rd rabbi's story in A Serious Man: who cares?

Presumably someone who had a stupid theory about the game's zomg seekrit meaning and who wants people to take it halfway seriously would?

EDIT: god you guys are nitpicking the translation now wtf

Top Bottom