• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

PlayStation U:

Playstation_net_yaroze.jpg

That would sell just off of Crash Bandicoot U.

Taker666

The thing is in the last 2 months his said a figure which has ended up being too high so it could be even lower.

It's a crisis and I'm starting to think its too late. The big hitters will come but I'm thinking the market just has no interest or desire to use the Gamepad (tablet style controller).

It's never too late.

The right content, the right marketing and the right pricing is what will sell it..as with any other console.

I'm pretty confident of the first party content for the end of the year..I'm not convinced they'll price it correctly (they should scrap the basic and have the deluxe for $250 with a key game). Marketing is the big issue (both instore and on tv) in regards to both the lack of it...and its quality.

I see no reason we couldn't see a 3DS style turnaround.

It's never too late.

The right content, the right marketing and the right pricing is what will sell it..as with any other console.

I'm pretty confident of the first party content for the end of the year..I'm not convinced they'll price it correctly (they should scrap the basic and have the deluxe for $250 with a key game). Marketing is the big issue (both instore and on tv) in regards to both the lack of it...and its quality.

The 3DS turnaround is mostly centered around Japan, and Japan can't do for a home console what it does for a handheld. Not to mention the competition from rival consoles is much stiffer than what the 3DS faces from the Vita.

Nintendo faces a dilemma with price cuts. The WiiU (and the 3DS) clearly needs one, but they can't afford to take a loss on the console if Iwata wants to meet his 100 billion yen profit promise and keep his job. In some ways, the WiiU's only hope might be a drastic price cut timed with Fall exclusive software. They'd take a bath in the short term, but they have the cash to eat it. But Nintendo can't go in that direction now, not after what they promised investors.

AniHawk

Home console market is way different to handheld market.

i know i'm citing a long-gone era, but sega turned the genesis around almost the same way nintendo turned the 3ds around. the only difference is that nintendo didn't bundle oot 3d or something with the system.

Mikey Jr.

As I heard before somewhere, the WiiU won't be just competing with the PS4 and the 720.

It is also going to have to compete with a $149 Xbox 360 and a $199 PS3 and an eventual $99 Xbox 360.

liger05

The 3DS turnaround is mostly centered around Japan, and Japan can't do for a home console what it does for a handheld. Not to mention the competition from rival consoles is much stiffer than what the 3DS faces from the Vita.

Nintendo faces a dilemma with price cuts. The WiiU (and the 3DS) clearly needs one, but they can't afford to take a loss on the console if Iwata wants to meet his 100 billion yen profit promise and keep his job.

The Gampad is going to be an anchor around the neck making price drops so difficult.

As I heard before somewhere, the WiiU won't be just competing with the PS4 and the 720.

It is also going to have to compete with a $149 Xbox 360 and a $199 PS3 and an eventual $99 Xbox 360.

Not to mention shelf space. There is only so much space stores can use. Something is going to have to give. Wii U & Vita.

JoeM86

Nintendo faces a dilemma with price cuts. The WiiU (and the 3DS) clearly needs one, but they can't afford to take a loss on the console if Iwata wants to meet his 100 billion yen profit promise and keep his job. In some ways, the WiiU's only hope might be a drastic price cut timed with Fall exclusive software. They'd take a bath in the short term, but they have the cash to eat it. But Nintendo can't go in that direction now, not after what they promised investors.

Nintendo should NEVER go into lossleading territory. They are a business and need to make profits, which they cannot do if they cut prices and sell at a loss. MS and Sony have managed to just about survive doing it once, and they'll be doing it again, but they have other avenues to pick up the revenue. Nintendo does not.

The Wii U is being sold just below cost. It cannot and should not be reduced in price. Nintendo just need to market it better and get their games out.

The lossleading strategy brought on by Microsoft and Sony is destroying the industry. Developers are folding left right and centre due to development costs and not being able to make up the revenue, with many games requiring millions of sales just to break even.

While it's awesome for the consumer to have powerful consoles, it is damaging the industry. Nintendo are doing the right thing the wrong way. Once they get their games out, things will be smoother

AniHawk

so will the ps4 and 720. the xbox was killed before it had a chance to keep on going, but the ps2 outsold the ps3 for a while.

Not to mention shelf space. There is only so much space stores can use. Something is going to have to give. Wii U & Vita.

wii and ds will go first. wii u and vita aren't taking up much room as it is.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Think I'm going to bet against Pachter remembering its a 5-week month, and that Nintendo will have shifted more in the range of 60-70k.

Of course if I'm wrong, the WiiU is definitively a dead console and requires a total relaunch. These figures will be ringing out loud and clear for Iwata when he faces the music with investors on April 24.

It's never too late.

On handheld front Nintendo was competing with PSP and Vita even with all my love to Sony handhelds that's not the same leage as PS3/X360 + PS4/Durango combination Wii U faces.

I don't see a place in market where Wii U can excel (like Wii did with casuals)

- high end - PS4/Durango will be overshadowing it there
- low end - PS3/X360 will be there with amazing libraries and lower costs
- casuals - X360/Durango are there with Kinect and Wii U has motion controls as optional only
- core gamers - with zero 3rd party support - not going to happen

So they are down to userbase of people who buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

Nintendo should NEVER go into lossleading territory. They are a business and need to make profits, which they cannot do if they cut prices and sell at a loss. MS and Sony have managed to just about survive doing it once, and they'll be doing it again, but they have other avenues to pick up the revenue. Nintendo does not.

They already did it with the 3DS. It probably saved the system. Obviously it's a last resort and not something Nintendo wants to do, but they don't have many options left with the WiiU. And MS and Sony will be loss-leading again, Sony just won't be doing it with a horribly designed console that loses them hundreds of dollars per unit.

AzaK

Pretty much every game has loading issues, even when not loaded from the disc.

Yup, the whole Filesystem part of the OS is shit. And I also suspect something else is shit because loading a current gen game (Same assets) from an optical drive MUCH faster than PS3/360 still takes about the same time.

Geebers. Nintendo put this Wii U on turbo mode already
That ain't gonna happen for about 8 weeks+. They will keep every last thing they can and attempt to ignore their users until E3 at the very least. Then we'll get more hollow promises and bullshit rhetoric while they try and convince us all this amazing stuff is coming. We'll get 1 or two of their games, and the odd thing from Ubisoft, but if we "please understand" there will be lots to look forward to on Wii U.

It is a complete and utter, without a doubt clusterfuck of a console launch on almost every front and those that have to "suffer" are those that supported the console in the beginning. Awesome move Nintendo.

JoeM86

They already did it with the 3DS. It probably saved the system. Obviously it's a last resort and not something Nintendo wants to do, but they don't have many options left with the WiiU. And MS and Sony will be loss-leading again, Sony just won't be doing it with a horribly designed console that loses them hundreds of dollars per unit.

Yes, and it screwed Nintendo badly. Much of their negative financials was due to the 3DS finally selling again. It's now back at a profit, and yet people are wanting ANOTHER price cut, which would screw Nintendo even more.

Think I'm going to bet against Pachter remembering its a 5-week month, and that Nintendo will have shifted more in the range of 60-70k.

Of course if I'm wrong, the WiiU is definitively a dead console and requires a total relaunch. These figures will be ringing out loud and clear for Iwata when he faces the music with investors on April 24.

Supposing we're not going to see the next wave of Wii U software until June / July, a mediocre reception to the influx of new Wii U software sets a precedent for tepid-to-abysmal sales for at least another two NPD reporting periods.

LEGO City Undercover really is Nintendo's only chance right now to make short-term gains without fundamentally altering Nintendo's marketing / product strategies. They have a lot riding on it at the moment.

Taker666

The Gampad is going to be an anchor around the neck making price drops so difficult.

For Japan perhaps..not in the US. The Yen vs dollar exchange rate is a key factor as to why the price was what it was in the US.

Nintendo could drop the price in the US by $50 today and they'd not be losing any more than they did on launch day ...thanks purely to the improving exchange rate.

Yes, and it screwed Nintendo badly. Much of their negative financials was due to the 3DS finally selling again. It's now back at a profit, and yet people are wanting ANOTHER price cut, which would screw Nintendo even more.

And if the alternative is to watch the WiiU die? Nintendo isn't in a position of strength here, but taking a loss may work out better in the long-term. Or it may not. Nintendo won't do be doing it this year anyway. If they cut the price, it will be after a failed holiday.

Megatron

I don't see it. They already sell a version for $299. We know the game disk costs nothing, you really think the difference in storage space is $50? I think they could get the premium down to $299 and not lose money. Maybe take out any other extras the premium may come with (can't remember now what those might be)

Mikey Jr.

so will the ps4 and 720. the xbox was killed before it had a chance to keep on going, but the ps2 outsold the ps3 for a while.

Ohh I'm sure, but its still a Sony console. They still make money, gets people into the ecosystem, and drives the momentum into purchasing the next generation of that hardware.

And Sony clearly believes in their "10" year cycle. I mean, God of War 2 was released after the PS3 launched and PS3 is having an amazing 2013 with some pretty big games.

AniHawk

they could probably get away with just dropping the deluxe bundle and package nsmbu with the basic for $250. it's a smaller drop than the 3ds's $80 price collapse, and it's also not quite as bad with the yen getting weaker against the dollar (not sure how much better it is comparatively though). an actual ad campaign would cost them money, but they need it if they want people to know things like the new mario and mario kart exist.

Ohh I'm sure, but its still a Sony console. They still make money, gets people into the ecosystem, and drives the momentum into purchasing the next generation of that hardware.

And Sony clearly believes in their "10" year cycle. I mean, God of War 2 was released after the PS3 launched and PS3 is having an amazing 2013 with some pretty big games.

we'll see regarding the ecosystem. i think it's in microsoft's and sony's best interest to get on how to easily transfer downloaded games to the next generation as soon as possible. what's the point of getting into the ecosystem when you have to just toss out the system for the new one that won't keep all your stuff.

JoeM86

And if the alternative is to watch the WiiU die? Nintendo isn't in a position of strength here, but taking a loss may work out better in the long-term. Or it may not. Nintendo won't do be doing it this year anyway. If they cut the price, it will be after a failed holiday.

No, but compared to the likely prices of the PS4 and Durango, the Wii U will become more tantalising to the average consumer. I showed video of the PS4's gameplay to a few friends who aren't core gamers, and they didn't really see that much improvement and they felt it would not be worth an upgrade straight away until their favourite games all jump over. This could be a problem for Sony and Microsoft.

As such, with the Wii U at the lower price, and coming with the tablet, it could be seen as better value for money to the general consumer.

Aaron

Drop the low-end SKU, small price drop, pack in NLand & NSMBU.

...then recoil in horror as it does nothing for the sales.
Yep. Nintendo needs something fresh to sell the Wii U on. For the Wii, it was the motion controls and sports game. They hoped the tablet would hit as hard, but they need a superstar game to go with it, to sell the device, and nintendoland is more like an anchor. They need something that's expressive and immediately engaging, not whoring out franchises for these little mini-games.

Majmun

Yeah, the Media Markt here in Holland (Heerlen) had a great weekend deal two weeks ago. Wii U basic for €177 and Wii U Deluxe for €255

MM always has the strangest prices. I almost bought a Wii U Deluxe. But I knew that I wouldn't touch it. Still waiting for the games before I jump in.

I really don't think that price is an issue here.

AzaK

Drop the low-end SKU, small price drop, pack in NLand & NSMBU.

...then recoil in horror as it does nothing for the sales.

Exactly, it needs games and features. And seeing as Nintendo don't really seem to be to competent when it comes to the non-gaming side of things they need to get a shit tonnes of cool games out.

Yep. Nintendo needs something fresh to sell the Wii U on. For the Wii, it was the motion controls and sports game. They hoped the tablet would hit as hard, but they need a superstar game to go with it, to sell the device, and nintendoland is more like an anchor. They need something that's expressive and immediately engaging, not whoring out franchises for these little mini-games.

The GamePad is awesome but I see it more as a value-add. For third party games they generally needs to also be multiplatform so the GamePad features will be nice add ons but not necessary to enjoy the game. First party wise to make the GamePad shine with gaming is going to require something really special and I imagine that won't be easy to come by. Off-TV place is nice but not necessarily a system seller. Overall I think the GamePad is too high of a cost for the value it adds - so far. Maybe Nintendo will come up with something to make us all go "Ah ha!" but they should have had that at launch.

It's been said a million times but the name and console design decisions are a disgrace. Even Playstation 2 would have struggled under these circumstances.

Imagine the successor to the Playstation was named Playstation U and the console itself looked 95% the same as the original Playstation as well.

The demos to show off this new Playstation U for the first time used original Playstation graphics and one of the first games was a 2D game which looked exactly like its predecessor but sharper.

Interesting analogy but of course the Wii U does have the GamePad which is vastly different and has some great potential. However, because Nintendo can't seem to market the GamePad correctly it's like a mute-feature and all that's left is what you said in your example which will not get people excited.

Basic Wii U has been <200 euro on amazon.de since 28th of March:

http://de.camelcamelcamel.com/Nintendo-Wii-Konsole-Basic-Pack/product/B004ZKI7EM

The basic pack is a complete waste of time, they need to stop producing that model completely and clear stock in a fire sale because no-one gives a shit...

If these numbers are true, its not just about the games. It IS about needing games, but these numbers say the premium model needs to be cheaper (or better value). No two ways about it.

of course it's selling like crap, the only game anyone wants is MH3

when Pikmin 3, Mario 3d, Bayonetta 2, 101, and X are out... I'll be all over the damn Wii

and I'll just explode whenever SMTxFE comes out. I hope the Wii U is doing way better by then, I'm happy that Ninty is sending patches to help the horrible OS too

Coolwhip

Banned
It's not surprising Wii U not selling without interesting games, a shitty name and bad marketing. But it makes you wonder why after 30 years of experience Nintendo is so bad at launching a product.

NotLiquid

Feel like this is where I stand as well. I don't expect the range to be much higher honestly because the console is doing pretty bad even with all the price cuts, but I am willing to give the benefit of doubt and a shred of optimism for the Wii U that some of its releases and the 5-week period could at least have managed to push some more units than that abysmal January performance did.

Mikey Jr.

we'll see regarding the ecosystem. i think it's in microsoft's and sony's best interest to get on how to easily transfer downloaded games to the next generation as soon as possible. what's the point of getting into the ecosystem when you have to just toss out the system for the new one that won't keep all your stuff.

I really don't see the lack of BC as a big roadblock into people purchasing the next gen systems. Yeah, it sucks, but am I going to completely skip out on the next gen or get it later because I can't play my PS3 games? For me, the fact that my PS2 could play my PS1 was amazing, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I played a PS1 game on there. And I got into the PS3 with a 40gb system that couldn't do PS2 BC, and honestly, it didn't phase me.

So yeah, I think its a nice thing to have, but for the average consumer, I highly doubt it will factor into their purchasing choice very much.

If there are stats out there that show that BC is highly important though for non-hardcore gamers, I would like to see it.

Also, your consoles will still be good for the next gen. No reason to toss them out. I still had my PS2 hooked up 2 years ago.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think Nintendo is just sucking up these shitty numbers until they can relaunch the console after E3 with Wario, Pikmin and Wii Fit. Then they release Zelda, 3D Mario and Mario Kart going into the holidays. They know there's no point pushing the console hard right now as the software isn't there.

It blows my mind that Nintendo still let this happen after what went wrong with the 3DS, they have got to sort out their development scheduling. It's not right that the machine has been out 6 months and they have not released a single first party developed retail game since launch. The situation is recoverable but they can't have a drought like this again, at the end of the day, software sells hardware. They got their planning all wrong with the Wii U.

AniHawk

I really don't see the lack of BC as a big roadblock into people purchasing the next gen systems. Yeah, it sucks, but am I going to completely skip out on the next gen or get it later because I can't play my PS3 games? For me, the fact that my PS2 could play my PS1 was amazing, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I played a PS1 game on there. And I got into the PS3 with a 40gb system that couldn't do PS2 BC, and honestly, it didn't phase me.

So yeah, I think its a nice thing to have, but for the average consumer, I highly doubt it will factor into their purchasing choice very much.

If there are stats out there that show that BC is highly important though for non-hardcore gamers, I would like to see it.

Also, your consoles will still be good for the next gen. No reason to toss them out. I still had my PS2 hooked up 2 years ago.

i'm not talking about retail, disc bc. i'm talking about actual psn store and xbla stuff. if the point of building a ps3 ecosystem late in its life is so the people getting in cheap can buy a ps4 when that is inexpensive or at least affordable, the incentive will be a lot lower if they can't take the games they downloaded with them.

so the point is, if someone is buying a ps3 now, they are likely doing it instead of purchasing a ps4 or 720, and to get the new thing once software dies out, having incentives helps a lot. especially for people who are into inexpensive and more affordable things.

AzaK

It's not surprising Wii U not selling without interesting games, a shitty name and bad marketing. But it makes you wonder why after 30 years of experience Nintendo is so bad at launching a product.

I wonder this myself and I have no real answer. It's almost like once their iron clad grip on the industry started to loosen (Post SNES) they started to struggle. They had a bad history with third parties but couldn't quite work out how to solve it. They still wanted to "be different" (A valiant trait) and go alone but being so steadfast in their arrogance on so many other issues (Cartridges, online, raw tech, DD, profit out the gate) that as soon as alternatives came along, the bread and butter publishers flocked to those systems. They also love to hit that "mainstream" market which is fickle and requires Nintendo to rethink every generation. This doesn't really gel with their deep-rooted inflexibility as a company and creates issues with third parties. It really is like watching a mad-man bashing his head repeatedly but expecting that the next time he does it, it won't hurt.

I do wonder if they just can't handle two consoles unless one is cruising on auto-pilot because with each new console they have released over the last 6-7 years they repeat their problems.

I think Nintendo is just sucking up these shitty numbers until they can relaunch the console after E3 with Wario, Pikmin and Wii Fit. Then they release Zelda, 3D Mario and Mario Kart going into the holidays. They know there's no point pushing the console hard right now as the software isn't there.

It blows my mind that Nintendo still let this happen after what went wrong with the 3DS, they have got to sort out their development scheduling. It's not right that the machine has been out 6 months and they have not released a single first party developed retail game since launch. The situation is recoverable but they can't have a drought like this again, at the end of the day, software sells hardware. They got their planning all wrong with the Wii U.

The situation is much more nuanced than "Nintendo being incompetent." There's Nintendo's limited size, their tradition-centric priorities and limited resources, their lack of experience with HD development, their difficulties in transitioning away from a GameCube-level mode of thinking, their transition into a more partnership-driven company to realize their HD development, their stubbornness as a very-heavily "Japanese company," their top-down, authoritarian corporate culture, their management ideologies, their employee's creative realms, etc.

I'm increasingly of the belief that Nintendo just isn't cut out for the home console market anymore...that is, they're just too small to maintain a "droughtless" HD library of content.

when they release their big games (like mario kart or something) they should rebrand this whole thing ... call it "Super Wii" (like it always should have been), and do a redesign of the box itself like the X360 did (didnt they also change all the game-cases?), make it so it doenst look anything like the Wii did and change the colors! A black Version and a matte purple Version, to show everyone that Nintendo is in on the GameCube joke ;)

Top Bottom