• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

AZ Greg

My friends still have no idea what a Wii U is. Anytime someone new comes over they ask what it is and if the controller is an odd on for the Wii.

All those peripherals and things like Wii Fit made the mindset that the Wii got stuff like that all the time. The name does not help it either..... Why did they call it that. 3DS and Wii U are both the wrong names.

If there is one silver lining regarding the poor marketing/name choice, it is that it would make it easier to pull the plug on the thing. They'd be able to write it off as more of a horizontal experiment and call their next system something completely non-Wii related and pronounce it as the true next-gen Nintendo platform.

GorillaJu

I think he's talking about loading times from games not the OS.

I'm talking about both. That Nintendo released a console that suffers badly from load times is just very un-Nintendo-like. They've always done their best to make load times as non-existent as possible. Now it's not Nintendo leading the charge here. Sony is the company investing in Gaikai to remove any wait times and make demos instant.

Sporty

Neo Member
As much as the Wii U if sinking, after watching 3ds come out and bomb for nearly a year then turn around and become a powerhouse, so I wont count it out yet.

Hell, I bought one at launch, but even if it becomes another gamecube, I can at least look forward to about 2/3 great games a year lol.

Imagine the pressure they'll be under to deliver this holiday season. If it flops for Christmas too I think Nintendo as a company are in trouble, not the just the Wii U. Crazy amount of pressure this Fall to simultaneously get Mario U and Kart U out and repair the platform's image, AND do this all while competing with two next-gen behemoths. I don't see how that scenario can turn out positive for Nintendo. Can anyone? Sony and Microsoft would have to completely drop the ball, like $599 again or something.

As much as the Wii U if sinking, after watching 3ds come out and bomb for nearly a year then turn around and become a powerhouse, so I wont count it out yet.

Hell, I bought one at launch, but even if it becomes another gamecube, I can at least look forward to about 2/3 great games a year lol.

Broken record: The console & handheld markets aren't comparable like that. Nintendo has owned the handheld market for decades. There's no Microsoft handheld, the Vita is floundering. Compare that situation with the console situation and PS4/720, completely different.

GorillaJu

It's a remake but it's release will probably coincide with the holiday season and a price drop.

There is no way in hell a Zelda remake moves Wii U systems. Neither will Pikmin. Mario Kart will be the lynchpin on which Nintendo hangs its hopes and dreams this year.

mujun

There is an update coming to fix the loading problems. And if they persist, another update will follow. The table remains unturned...

I agree with Odd Morsel.

Seems to me that Nintendo is trying to find success with a hybrid of the Wii and a PS3/360 and in doing so had to sacrifice an idea they usually adhere to (quick loading times).

Oddduck

Pikmin will move some units I'm sure. It's not really about one major title though I think, just a consistent stream of games post E3 up until heavy hitters release late in the year.

Good point. They are probably holding off releasing games like Pikmin 3 now so they can build that consistent stream of games later. Like June, July, August, etc leading up to the fall/holidays.

AzaK

Damn. They need to rebrand the system or something. I am at a loss for words at what they can do to revive the system.

They will stagger their big franchises just enough to keep Wii U owners (I am one) from tossing in the system. Hopefully then those owners will pick up the odd third party game that comes along from Ubisoft or Activision and the odd eShop gem. They will just quell the tide of apathy with this strategy and try and stop the thing being a failure.

I agree with Odd Morsel.

Seems to me that Nintendo is trying to find success with a hybrid of the Wii and a PS3/360 and in doing so had to sacrifice an idea they usually adhere to (quick loading times).

They sacrificed a lot with the Wii U. Either they just couldn't cope with the amount of work required to get a stable, fast and complete system up and running, they were just in too much of a rush to meet a deadline or the 3DS took too much of their attention. The last two are the ones I think were the culprits.

The whole thing seems like it was WAY WAY WAY more than they could manage. They are basically squandering a year of headstart where they could have cemented themselves in the lead in a number of areas that they presented to is that they were interested in. i.e. Both games and media with Nintendo TVii. However they are newbies when it comes to online and non-game entertainment on consoles so TVii will likely be the low end version of anything MS and Sony could do. Again I think Nintendo will try and aim for the unsophisticated consumer. Most of what Nintendo has always done has been for the uninitiated. For those people that don't demand top end or follow the industry closely. This market is much more forgiving of mediocre because they don't know any better and this is why Nintendo has been able to get away with some of the simple, silly games and gimmicks they have.

I really think they just can't compete with the "big boys" and that's fine, they can do what they want, but they should not try and stand up tall and talk about how big they want to be.

I'm talking about both. That Nintendo released a console that suffers badly from load times is just very un-Nintendo-like. They've always done their best to make load times as non-existent as possible. Now it's not Nintendo leading the charge here. Sony is the company investing in Gaikai to remove any wait times and make demos instant.

It's the HD trap. Sony, Microsoft and a bunch of developers all had a hard time adjusting to HD. Nintendo *should* have been preparing for the HD jump and the associated challenges for a long time, but it seems like they didn't use their time wisely.

Mario Kart will move units, but until then I think monthly sales will drop even further...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There is no way in hell a Zelda remake moves Wii U systems. Neither will Pikmin. Mario Kart will be the lynchpin on which Nintendo hangs its hopes and dreams this year.

I don't think it's a system seller but it's coming out a time when sales should naturally rise up due to the holiday.

Maximus.

System needs rebranding and a real good and hard marketing push. Nintendo sits on their hands too much after the Wii blew up.

Aaron

Somebody better start telling the truth up in this thread.
I was exaggerating, but it's common for 3rd party games to have longer load times than 360/PS3 versions, even when not from the disc. Load times on eshop games are short.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If there is one silver lining regarding the poor marketing/name choice, it is that it would make it easier to pull the plug on the thing. They'd be able to write it off as more of a horizontal experiment and call their next system something completely non-Wii related and pronounce it as the true next-gen Nintendo platform.

You still risk burning the hardcore Nintendo fans who already jumped in with Wii U not to mention piss off the (few) developers with software coming down the pipeline. Personally, I'd never buy a Nintendo home console again if they pulled the plug before even trying to support the system with actual games.

Nah, Nintendo is going to have to sleep in this bed.

Instro

Pretty much every game has loading issues, even when not loaded from the disc.

Really, which games? I don't recall any loading issues with NSMB, and I've been playing MH since release without any problems. Are we talking about the initial loading screen when opening a game on the WiiU?

You still risk burning the hardcore Nintendo fans who already jumped in with Wii U not to mention piss off the (few) developers with software coming down the pipeline. Personally, I'd never buy a Nintendo home console again if they pulled the plug before even trying to support the system with actual games.

Nah, Nintendo is going to have sleep in this bed.

Yeah the only way I'd be ok with something like that is if they gave me the new system for free or some shit. Not happening though, they are stuck with the WiiU for at least a few years.

botty

Banned
I was exaggerating, but it's common for 3rd party games to have longer load times than 360/PS3 versions, even when not from the disc. Load times on eshop games are short.

What has been your personal experience with the loading times?

I can't imagine them ever doing this unless Iwata actually does get the boot and is replaced by a guy with no business sense.

Seeing the Wii still sell more is saddening. Makes me wonder if people really don't know that the Wii U is a new system. Maybe they think they're just paying more money for the gamepad like the balance board.

Kind of sucks when you think about it.

Another problem is the only reason why the Wii still sells is because of Skylanders and Just Dance. That's the only games I see parents buying at stores for the Wii.

Has anyone been keeping track of Pachter's NPD predictions and actual NPD results? Would be interesting to see.

He was higher last month by about 15-20K, so he's probably lowering them this month, out of thin air.
Then again, what commercials is Nintendo of America running for the Wii U exactly? I don't have cable TV, so I have no clue if they are running any decent ads.

I know I saw some pop-up online for LEGO City, but not sure if those were run widely on national TV stations.

If you have cable TV, do you see a lot of Wii U ads, compared to other consoles?

AZ Greg

Nah, Nintendo is going to have sleep in this bed.

Nintendo fans have shown signs of their own "battered woman syndrome" over the years. I don't think pulling the plug early would disillusion too many of them. A new Mario/Zelda/Metroid showing would have them right back on board.

Aaron

What has been your personal experience with the loading times?
I only played some of the launch games, but I remember Batman and Blops2 being noticeably longer loading. Not really a deal breaker. I heard other games were the same across the board, but I must have heard wrong.

AzaK

When the next PlayStation & Xbox are released it will be a hard sell for anyone to pick up a Wii U at 349.99

regardless of software these things need to happen for the system to gain momentum

+ An aggressive marketing campaign that clearly.. and I mean CLEARLY explains the system. No one fluff campaigns of random people playing it.

+ A constant stream of releases from Nintendo... including a system mover like Wii Sports.

+ A price drop to 199 / 299 bundle. It's clear people aren't motivated to buy the system at it's current price when other systems are cheaper and subsidized. Take the poison pill and start moving units

If these things don't happen... Dump the Wii U and Try again. Just say it's an HD version of the Wii and move inventory... then go back and Work on a system that can and will compete with the PlayStation & Xbox... while also work on a System that will stop the iPhone & Android from cannibalizing the handheld gaming market.

It really depends on what they offer and at what price. If MS go into the media game with a subsidised system that costs like $100-$200 that could severely smack Wii U upside the face for the part of the market looking for TV integration. (From what it seems Nintendo TVii is little more than a toy).

They can't start a new system, it takes too long to make. They'd get it out in 2-3 years tops and they still need to survive that time. They might as well try and get the Wii U selling.

OoT bumped 3DS sales and is still one of the biggest selling games on the console

1.) Oot is more loved
2.) It's a console port that was graphically (significantly) improved on a portable: RARE

The problem is console remakes don't sell as well as console remakes on portables. Windwaker isn't as loved as Oot. Windwaker remake doesn't have the excitement the 3DS remake of Oot did.

While I want the remake, I don't think it's going to be the system seller. The Zelda from E3 would and the next Mario will be.

Nintendo fans have shown signs of their own "battered woman syndrome" over the years. I don't think pulling the plug early would disillusion too many of them. A new Mario/Zelda/Metroid showing would have them right back on board.

You would be very surprised at the sheer level of animosity people would have towards Nintendo. A major console is an investment for a lot of people. Tossing aside that investment like it's trash...who would invest in a Nintendo home console after that?

botty

Banned
He was higher last month by about 15-20K, so he's probably lowering them this month, out of thin air.
Then again, what commercials is Nintendo of America running for the Wii U exactly? I don't have cable TV, so I have no clue if they are running any decent ads.

I know I saw some pop-up online for LEGO City, but not sure if those were run widely on national TV stations.

If you have cable TV, do you see a lot of Wii U ads, compared to other consoles?

I have seen Lego City ads on children's stations (Nick/Teennick/CN) sporadically.

I only played some of the launch games, but I remember Batman and Blops2 being noticeably longer loading. Not really a deal breaker. I heard other games were the same across the board, but I must have heard wrong.

Ah, well, I have only played a few first party Wii U games, and none had noticeably bad loading times. The OS, though... that thing is a nightmare.

Aaron

Ah, well, I have only played a few first party Wii U games, and none had noticeably bad loading times. The OS, though... that thing is a nightmare.
It is really bad, but I do think Nintendo can and will fix it to reasonable levels.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A $99 Wii is way more enticing than having to spend another $200 for
a Wii U basic.

If they want to move Wii Us, they should discontinue the Wii and then rebrand
the Wii U to something like "Nintendo HD". Cut out the premium model and offer
1 model with the choice of colors for between $149-$199. Stress the
backwards capability with Wii games and the HD graphics.

its funny how people spew so much negativity towards a video game console. Itd be like going to a park and laughing at the kids swinging on some swingsets you didnt like, as they were swinging and yelling "wiiiiii"

AniHawk

the only way i can think of what happened was that nintendo was living in a world where ipad-like devices didn't exist, the wii was still immensely popular, and dinosaurs are brought back to life through advanced cloning techniques.

BowieZ

Banned
Does this sentence really make sense?

In a research note to investors today, Pachter, who follows the gaming industry about as closely as any other analyst, said he believes Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii U units in the U.S. in March, representing a 17 percent decline compared to February. Perhaps even worse for Nintendo, its old Wii mustered 85,000 unit sales, falling 51 percent year-over-year, but still trumping a device that came out long before its latest.

AZ Greg

its funny how people spew so much negativity towards a video game console. Itd be like going to a park and laughing at the kids swinging on some swingsets you didnt like, as they were swinging and yelling "wiiiiii"

It's only because they're stuck with these last-gen swings:

DSC_0621.JPG

Next-gen swings please!

Gambit

the only way i can think of what happened was that nintendo was living in a world where ipad-like devices didn't exist, the wii was still immensely popular, and dinosaurs are brought back to life through advanced cloning techniques.

Heck, I want to live in that world.

This could still be one of those 3DS-like slow burns, but... I think Nintendo really screwed up with the design. If they wanted a "blue ocean" audience (in addition to the "hardcore" audience they're clearly trying to more closely target this time around), they should have come up with something as exciting and interesting as the Wii and its motion controls. Instead, we've got... a pretend tablet-like device.

It's like someone at Nintendo said, "Hey, tablets are big! If we make our controller sorta like a tablet, casuals/potential casuals won't be intimidated by it like a regular controller! And we can also give hardcore gamers the gameplay they like." And that's where the thought process stopped.

This sucks, but struggling Nintendo is sometimes the best Nintendo, so...

Sid

Ninty is going to be in some big trouble this fall since the WiiU will be competing with PS4/720 and cheaper PS360s by then.

rakka

it's because of the hopelessly bad name. wii u is even worse than just wii. fire the idiot who thought that was a good idea lol.

not to mention the low end specs.

it's because of the hopelessly bad name. wii u is even worse than just wii. fire the idiot who thought that was a good idea lol.

not to mention the low end specs.

Dumbest post of the day. Dumbest I've seen so far, at least.

If it's the name, it's because of confusion with the original Wii, not because it sounds silly. Didn't hurt the Wii.

And it's not the specs. That's the hardcore gamer in you saying that, and most gamers are not tech fetishists.

Well he's not entirely wrong though.

Sounds entirely wrong to me. Sounds like something a hardcore gamer believes from inside an echo chamber filled with other hardcore gamers.

Top Bottom