• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

Darryl

Banned
I'm still baffled by how much NintendoLand didn't catch on. Everyone I know was done with Wii Sports after a few weeks, but a half dozen friends and I were playing NintendoLand every week for like four months. Just a weird situation where my experience apparently runs completely contrary to the market.

i'm still playing nintendo land with peeps. one of my friends bought the console after playing the game at my house. the game just needed a bigger push for people to even know what the hell the game is. maybe it'll have long-legs that'll help keep the console selling after it picks up.

MHFU and Tri both sold well over 500k in the west. Monster Hunter has probably peaked for what it can achieve in the West and if did continue to grow it's certainly not going to be from a Wii U port and an offline 3DS version with no adhoc party.
Have you looked in the MH3U thread on GAF? It's half-filled with people entirely new to the franchise. GFAQs, too. My wife just tried this as her first MH game and is totally hooked. I'm absolutely certain that she'll be dying to play MH4 when it comes out.

serplux

MHFU and Tri both sold well over 500k in the west. Monster Hunter has probably peaked for what it can achieve in the West and if did continue to grow it's certainly not going to be from a Wii U port and an offline 3DS version with no adhoc party.

The 3DS version has something similiar to adhoc party. Not necessarily disagreeing with your other points though.

Have you looked in the MH3U thread on GAF? It's half-filled with people entirely new to the franchise. GFAQs, too. My wife just tried this as her first MH game and is totally hooked. I'm absolutely certain that she'll be dying to play MH4 when it comes out.

Part of that is we are starved for games. Especially hardcore "ish" games.

rdrr gnr

I'm still baffled by how much NintendoLand didn't catch on. Everyone I know was done with Wii Sports after a few weeks, but a half dozen friends and I were playing NintendoLand every week for like four months. Just a weird situation where my experience apparently runs completely contrary to the market.
Still with this?

I don't think it has the pick up and play factor that Wii Sports had. I also don't think it appeals to casuals or "non-gamers" that much.

watershed

Banned
Truth is the Wii U deserves these sales. There's just too many problems and not enough benefits of owning one at its current price. Hell, a lower price wouldn't even fix the biggest problems with the platform at the moment.

AZ Greg

thats when consoles jumped to hd. You have to factor in the times with the hype of owning an hd console to go with your hd tv.

Its still worth looking at, tho.

This post is amazing!

Back then those numbers were considered mediocre and both platforms were given a hard time. Lack of HD adoption, and the fact that gains were minimal on an SDTV, were used as one of the major reasons why the sales were so mediocre.

Now here we are, 6-7 years later, and HD is being credited for those sales being comparatively impressive vs. the WiiU's.

59b7359ef1af7b215195e862aeda4242.jpg

B.O.O.M

thats when consoles jumped to hd. You have to factor in the times with the hype of owning an hd console to go with your hd tv.

Its still worth looking at, tho.

True but the ps3 had a horrible start..$599! But yes at least the big power difference compared to last gen must have helped

Instro

Tri did around 900k in US+EU iirc. Where are you getting the MHFU numbers from?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It did for a while, but it never got any of the major third party exclusives like the PS2 did; Resident Evil was the only real victory for the system, and even that was severely undermined when Capcom announced the PS2 port of RE4 before it even came out.

If that's the case and how Wii U is panning out and how Gamecube panned out, then that means third party games won't save the Wii U? I guess Wii U's only option is to capture the casual market once more.

Oddduck

Truth is the Wii U deserves these sales. There's just too many problems and not enough benefits of owning one at its current price. Hell, a lower price wouldn't even fix the biggest problems with the platform at the moment.

I don't know what Nintendo plans to do between now until the holiday season when the big games come out. Game and Wario and Pikmin 3 aren't really system sellers. Their entire business strategy with Wii U has been awful.

Completely agree. Honestly if it was selling much better, it'd be on hype and reputation alone.

I have one, I'm hoping for big things to come. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one right now... and honestly, that's probably a huge part of the problem: the word of mouth on the Wii U is generally horrendous.

Hiltz

It's sad but true.

This post is amazing!

Back then those numbers were considered mediocre and both platforms were given a hard time. Lack of HD adoption, and the fact that gains were minimal on an SDTV, were used as one of the major reasons why the sales were so mediocre.

Now here we are, 6-7 years later, and HD is being credited for those sales being comparatively impressive vs. the WiiU's.

Xbox 360 sales didn't become dominate until the kinect came out. I think the success of kinect and the abysmal perform of Wii U clearly shows that MS was successful in stealing Nintendo's audience. Once they made the switch, there was no way they would return back to SD.
Nintendo should have released a Wii HD when Pachter said they should havem

Hsieh

When Nintendo releases games third parties whine that they can't sell games on a system that have to compete with Nintendo's

Iwata talked about how they wanted to give third parties some room on the WiiU to shine and I think they got bit in the ass. It really is the very last time Nintendo should make that mistake.

The whole "give third parties a chance to shine" line was probably just PR speak to hide the fact that Nintendo's own games were behind schedule and weren't ready for launch.

serplux

Completely agree. Honestly if it was selling much better, it'd be on hype and reputation alone.

I have one, I'm hoping for big things to come. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one right now... and honestly, that's probably a huge part of the problem: the word of mouth on the Wii U is generally horrendous.

Really? Most people I've seen who own the system really enjoy it (off-TV play is amazing), and just wish the release schedule would pick up (and load times be cut down, of course).

Alex

The 3DS version has something similiar to adhoc party. Not necessarily disagreeing with your other points though.

Well, it has a tool that lets you use a Wii U to play the 3DS version online. Of course, that is meaningless as it requires you to own a Wii U, which no one does and if you have a Wii U why are you not playing MH3U HD instead?

If that tool had been on the Wii as well, I could've sold a couple of 3DS's to friends who have played MH with me since the first. It's a real shame. Nintendo should have an adhoc party clone for the DS and 3DS universally on both the Wii and the Wii U, man I loved that thing. Now I get to play with randoms, hooray, I guess I should stop bitching about how dumbed down 3U is because if it wasn't I'd probably not progress with some of these goofballs!

ChaosXVI

Ugh, if these numbers are accurate, that's terrible news for Nintendo...I still don't think the Wii U is beyond saving, but there's no way it will avoid being the last place console this generation...unless Microsoft puts out an Xbox 720 that blocks used games, is always online, and is made up entirely of used pinball machine parts.

Instro

Yeah even people who own it, who are likely big Nintendo fans, can't really say anything positive about the system. Like I knew what I was getting into, I wanted to play NSMB and I got it, but I could never seriously recommend this system to anyone else in its current state. Unless you desperately want Mario or Monster Hunter, stay away.

Until Zelda Wind Waker or Mario Kart comes out.

Damn that's probably October or November at the earliest. I was gonna say by the July NPD it should be able to crawl past that number since E3 would have come and gone and Nintendo would have announced some games that people are interested in; at least I hope that's what happens at E3.

DaBoss

Well, it has a tool that lets you use a Wii U to play the 3DS version online. Of course, that is meaningless as it requires you to own a Wii U, which no one does and if you have a Wii U why are you not playing MH3U HD instead?

If that tool had been on the Wii as well, I could've sold a couple of 3DS's to friends who have played MH with me since the first. It's a real shame. Nintendo should have an adhoc party clone for the DS and 3DS universally on both the Wii and the Wii U, man I loved that thing.

Is this why you think it's peaked and won't grow with MH3U? No way has MH peaked.

Also, where did you get those MHFU numbers?

AZ Greg

Damn that's probably October or November at the earliest. I was gonna say by the July NPD it should be able to crawl past that number since E3 would have come and gone and Nintendo would have announced some games that people are interested in; at least I hope that's what happens at E3.

Why would people run out and buy the system based on announcements of games that would probably still be months away?

It is only going to get worse in the summer. They won't get over 100K until October/November at the earliest, depending on releases.

I have seen it and have noted it. But how is dropping 8k "fitting the norm" when the other two systems increased a bit, even if it's no more than statistical noise?
It fits the norm of Feb-March transitions for the last 4 years. The 360 had shortages of unknown impact to Feb, Mar sales.

Oddduck

The issue here is what could sell consoles before Wind Waker/Mario Kart come out? Games like Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario are very niche audience games. Can Wii Fit U be a big seller?

GorillaJu

It amazes me to read that load times are a major complaint with the Wii U. Nintendo has always stuck to their guns about keeping games quick and easy to load up. I believe that was a primary reason they went with cartridges for the n64 and ditched the Nintendo CD idea (which eventually became Playstation). Funny now the tables are completely turned.

botty

Banned
It amazes me to read that load times are a major complaint with the Wii U. Nintendo has always stuck to their guns about keeping games quick and easy to load up. I believe that was a primary reason they went with cartridges for the n64 and ditched the Nintendo CD idea (which eventually became Playstation). Funny now the tables are completely turned.

There is an update coming to fix the loading problems. And if they persist, another update will follow. The table remains unturned...

serplux

The issue here is what could sell consoles before Wind Waker/Mario Kart come out? Games like Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario are very niche audience games. Can Wii Fit U be a big seller?

I have strong doubts. I don't think casuals are willing to pick up a system that costs $300-350 and purchase Wii Fit U (I'm guessing $100?). That train has passed.

Instro

Pikmin will move some units I'm sure. It's not really about one major title though I think, just a consistent stream of games post E3 up until heavy hitters release late in the year.

The Wii's motion controls were revolutionary when it released. Got people talking and had the perfect game in Wii sports to complement it. People couldn't get this experience anywhere else.
Contrast this with Wii U. Practically every household has a tablet of some kind. So casuals are out. Hardcore (ugh) gamers are loathe to play games on tablet devices. I really don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

Anyone know when the WiiU started manufacturing? At some point soon, Nintendo is going to reorder parts for the next run of the system and prep the retail supply chains for holiday 2013. If the supply chains are still stuffed like they are now, Nintendo forced in a position to pay for WiiUs that will end up in costly warehouses or to close WiiU production lines.

xbhaskarx

1. PS3 had one retail release in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

2. 360 had zero retail releases in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

3. Wii U had zero retail releases in its first January and zero retail releases in its first February.

1. PS3 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

2. 360 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

3. Wii U had six retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

Like I said, it's a typical software roadmap strategy. And yet....

360 NPD sales:
1st November - 326,000
1st December - 281,000
1st January - 250,000
1st February - 161,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 192,000

PS3 NPD sales:
1st November - 197,000
1st December - 490,700
1st January - 244,000
1st February - 127,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 130,000

Wii U NPD sales:
1st November - 425,000
1st December - 460,000
1st January - 57,000
1st February - 66,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 55,000 (Pachter's prediction)

It will be interesting to see what happens to Wii U sales in the summer months when everyone is talking about the new Playstation and Xbox...

Alex

Is this why you think it's peaked and won't grow with MH3U? No way has MH peaked.

Also, where did you get those MHFU numbers?

Capcom had sales charts years ago (2009?) and talked about them further in an interview a year or two after. I dont have any straight up sources for you off hand. Google Fu could probably make quick work of it, though.

Tri sold even more than Freedom Unite, a fair chunk I believe.

But no, I do not think 3U will grow the franchise in the West, even combined. The 3DS version has no online and no one owns a Wii U. I think 4 will do better in the West than 3U but even then I will be very surprised if they ever genuinely surpass the numbers from Tri, that was a perfect storm for the series with a ton of ad support, bundles, good will from 2G/FU, and it came exactly when the Wii needed a game like that. So, IMO, for the design, I think they've pushed the niche as far as it's likely to go. Of course, they could be willing to broaden the appeal, considering how hard they hit P3 and 3G with the stupid hammer. :p

Rhindle

I have strong doubts. I don't think casuals are willing to pick up a system that costs $300-350 and purchase Wii Fit U (I'm guessing $100?). That train has passed.
They would, if Wii Fit U offered something fundamentally new and compelling. But it doesn't.

Nintendo needs a new hook.

Why would people run out and buy the system based on announcements of games that would probably still be months away?

It is only going to get worse in the summer. They won't get over 100K until October/November at the earliest, depending on releases.

I don't know was just being optimistic, they've screwed themselves and the chance of getting themselves out of this shitty situation is really slim. This is not like the 3DS that they cut the price and promised some free games. Seems like every narrative you hear about the Wii U is something negative and they're gonna have to embark on some God tier marketing to change that narrative.

It's shocking that Nintendo is just letting the console have all this negative news surround it and not doing anything about it. But one has to wonder what the hell could they possibly do. I think the craziest thing about all this is the abandoned the Wii the day Skyward sword came out. What the hell have they been doing since then? How the hell did they release this console with no games. It seems like The Wii U either should have been released 2 to 3 years ago or it should been coming out with the PS4/Durango this fall cos they would have some actual games.

Svafnir

My friends still have no idea what a Wii U is. Anytime someone new comes over they ask what it is and if the controller is an odd on for the Wii.

All those peripherals and things like Wii Fit made the mindset that the Wii got stuff like that all the time. The name does not help it either..... Why did they call it that. 3DS and Wii U are both the wrong names.

Hiltz

"Please understand the situation." In all seriousness, Nintendo's just been sloppy and slow with how its handled things. However, as it has demonstrated, the loading times will see a noticeable improvement once the system updates are out.

Top Bottom