• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Breitbart has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stole this from The Atlantic's blog:

Shirley Sherrod deserves high praise for speaking with such fairness and empathy about Andrew Breitbart's unexpected death on Thursday. "The news of Mr. Breitbart’s death came as a surprise to me when I was informed of it this morning," Sherrod said in a statement. "My prayers go out to Mr. Breitbart’s family as they cope during this very difficult time. I do not intend to make any further comments."

Now THAT is class.

Edit: beaten!

Shirley Sherrod has way more class than any of you Breitbart apologists:
i don't think anyone here isn't sympathetic to his family and i don't think anyone here wasn't surprised by this. Shirley Sherrod said the equivalent of "water is wet". Also, I don't think "apologist" means what you think it means.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Is this a for true, or are we just wildly speculating?
I'm basing it on someone who hung out with him a bunch saying he did.

Anthony, from the Opie and Anthony radio show said it. I'm sure they'll say more about it this week considering how much they love being part of national news.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
i don't think anyone here isn't sympathetic to his family and i don't think anyone here wasn't surprised by this. Shirley Sherrod said the equivalent of "water is wet". Also, I don't think "apologist" means what you think it means.

Incorrect. I was in fact referring to the Breitbart defenders with that post.

Amir0x

Banned
He leaves behind an embarrassingly awful legacy, and in any fair accounting of his life it's impossible to ignore.

But it's not like he was a mass murderer or rapist or anything, and he was pretty young - condolences to his family. Politics is better off without him though, no doubt.

Stole this from The Atlantic's blog:

Shirley Sherrod deserves high praise for speaking with such fairness and empathy about Andrew Breitbart's unexpected death on Thursday. "The news of Mr. Breitbart’s death came as a surprise to me when I was informed of it this morning," Sherrod said in a statement. "My prayers go out to Mr. Breitbart’s family as they cope during this very difficult time. I do not intend to make any further comments."

Now THAT is class.

Edit: beaten!

He actually ruined part of her life yet she has the grace and class those who never met nor were hurt by him don't have.

This thread is pathetic, as is much of the liberal response I'm seeing on twitter. And as a liberal I'm ashamed at the heartless bullshit spouting from those who pretend to hold the moral high ground

Amir0x

Banned
When you put yourself in the public spotlight and do awful, cruel things to people and others, you are going to get sometimes bitter and mean backlash. This guy has helped destroy the modern political arena, and has actively destroyed peoples careers over his backward ass rhetoric and lies.

Although it is right to issue condolences to his family and respect their grieving period, it is also kind of disingenuous to expect that such a visible figure is not going to get the proper post mortem that someone in his position should expect.

Just because someone dies doesn't mean they magically become off limits for criticism. I don't wish him to die, the same I actively wished for, say, Osama Bin Laden to die, but I also think that it's impossible to argue against the world being a better place without him.

These threads are always complicated affairs, but I don't think you lose the "high ground" by continuing to be critical of the life someone led when they die. It's not like his family is going to stumble upon these liberal tweets and threads and be suddenly shocked at what the political spectrum thinks about Breitbart. The man was a political demon.

benjipwns

Banned
It's not like his family is going to stumble upon these liberal tweets and threads and be suddenly shocked at what the political spectrum thinks about Breitbart. The man was a political demon.
And he, based on everything I know, would have loved it.

numble

If you violate WTO rules and get an adverse ruling, you have violated the treaty and international law, no matter if your action is legal under domestic law or not. This allows countries to start applying tariffs on your goods and not treat your goods with Most Favored Nation status if you don't rectify within a certain period. This has applied to everyone from China to the US, and they have both changed their practices following adverse rulings despite the original practice being domestically legal to begin with.

Averon

Wow. This was completely out of the blue. I feel sorry for his family, but I can't say I'm not a wee bit glad he can no longer poison the political atmosphere. The guy was a hack and an asshole.

OK, so how many people do you think are out trolling for the worst examples of people being hateful so that they can either generalize ("you liberals are all like this!") or else excuse all the shitty things said about other people when they died by conservatives? Or both?

He actually ruined part of her life yet she has the grace and class those who never met nor were hurt by him don't have.

This thread is pathetic, as is much of the liberal response I'm seeing on twitter. And as a liberal I'm ashamed at the heartless bullshit spouting from those who pretend to hold the moral high ground
speaking of those who pretend to hold the moral high ground...

That's a really sugar coated way of saying what he did.
David Frum said:
Just as all is fair in a shooting war, so manipulation and deception are legitimate tools in a culture war. Breitbart used those tools without qualm or regret, and he inspired a cohort of young conservative journalists to do likewise.
He inspired conservative "journalists" to engage in manipulation and deception in a culture war.

Breitbart's legacy in a nutshell. Now apparently you can be fighting a so-called culture war, engage in manipulation and deception and you can still call it journalism, thanks in part to Andrew Breitbart.
David Frum said:
Public figures are inescapably judged by their public actions. When those public actions are poisonous, the obituary cannot be pleasant reading.
PhoenixDark, I think Frum's talking to you here as well as the rest of the people ITT with their moral outrage who don't want GAF to say anything other than "He died, RIP, this is sad and it's unfortunate for his family."

So yeah, David Frum hit the nail on the head with his eulogy.

Cloudy

Banned
WTF so the right-wingers think Obama killed Breitbart now? I usually listen to Michael Savage on the way home for laughs and that's all he and his callers were talking about lol

PS: RIP to the guy. As vile as he was politically, no one should just drop dead at 43

Kosmo

Banned
WTF so the right-wingers think Obama killed Breitbart now? I usually listen to Michael Savage on the way home for laughs and that's all he and his callers were talking about lol

PS: RIP to the guy. As vile as he was politically, no one should just drop dead at 43

Obama was not involved. I still want to see those videos, though, assuming they exist.

nyong

Banned
This thread is unbelievable. I know some disliked the guy, but the outright hatred on display here is insane.

Kosmo

Banned
You say that like you think someone did kill him

43 year old guys usually don't drop dead at midnight walking outside within an hour of having a two hour discussion with someone and appearing completely normal. Could be a massive heart attack or something, we'll know after ther autopsy, perhaps.

A little curare goes a long way, LOL.

This thread is unbelievable. I know some disliked the guy, but the outright hatred on display here is insane.

He was/is hated because of the type of person he was. He literally ruined lives with his lies. I still don't understand why some of you are defending his behavior.

I don't see any irrational hatred at all. Most of his eulogies, even written by conservatives, put him in a horrible light, and these people have no incentive to do so. The guy was extremely poisonous, and people are calling a spade a spade. I don't believe in the hypocrisy of suddenly just spouting RIP and trying desperately to dig up something positive about a person who built a career based on hate and lies, and who did and said so many horrible things to so many people. I don't see anything to the effect of 'burn in hell', apart of a matter-of-fact assessments of his life. I wish his family well, but can't say the rest of the world or the country is worse off without him. It's not about 'some disliking him'. It's about him proving again and again that he was a horrible person to the core. I don't see how any sane person with a hint of objectivity and a moral compass could deny that, regardless of political leanings. There's no point in white-washing that and pretending he didn't live his life the way he did.

I think the majority of us are discussing the impact his actions have had in our politics quite rationally actually. Unless you feel that all we should be doing is posting a bunch of identical vapid "RIP" posts ad nauseum.

nyong

Banned
He was/is hated because of the type of person he was. He literally ruined lives with his lies. I still don't understand why some of you are defending his behavior.

At most he was guilty of the same BS as the rest of the journalism world...providing snippets of the truth without full context. What people really hated about him was that he was one of the few conservative activists in existence who got results. I rarely fully agreed with him, but never saw him as different/worse than the likes of PETA or any other group.

You really shouldn't be surprised considering where the majority of GAF sits on the political spectrum.
So what you're saying is that everyone who thinks Breitbart was a bad person for passing off outright lies as "journalism" sits on the left side of the political spectrum, and everyone that supports his brand of "journalism" sits on the right side of the political spectrum.

Duly noted.
At most he was guilty of the same BS as the rest of the journalism world...providing snippets of the truth without full context. What people really hated about him was that he was one of the few conservative activists in existence who got results. I rarely fully agreed with him, but never saw him as different/worse than the likes of PETA or any other group.
And here goes the false equivalence. The difference here is that 99.9% of the time, when these Republicans say they've been taken out of context, they actually weren't.

nyong

Banned
You really shouldn't be surprised considering where the majority of GAF sits on the political spectrum.

Can you imagine a similar thread on Obama?

"I feel bad for his family, but Obamacare was a travesty. Our government is better off without him"

I can't even begin to fathom actually hating someone aligned differently so deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom