• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Breitbart has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read about who the hell this was. This guy had recently stated he had some sort of videos of Obama that would be detrimental to him. Something from college or something.

Conspiracy time! He was assassinated!

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articl...es_Constitution#Section_8:_Powers_of_Congress

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Did Congress approve? Yes, than that's that. The UN Charter can't override the US Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert

Reid v. Covert, 354 U.S. 1 (1957), is a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Constitution supersedes international treaties ratified by the United States Senate. According to the decision, "this Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty," although the case itself was with regard to an executive agreement, not a "treaty" in the U.S. legal sense, and the agreement itself has never been ruled unconstitutional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articl...es_Constitution#Section_8:_Powers_of_Congress

Did Congress approve? Yes, than that's that. The UN Charter can't override the US Constitution.

If we did the same thing to another nation and lost, you'd better fucking believe the U.S. would be tried and convicted for an illegal war of aggression. I also didn't say "Is" but "can be considered." And guess what, if you follow international law, it is.

Define war crimes. How is it when the Japanese waterboards U.S. P.O.W.s it is a war crime, but when the U.S. waterboards it is somehow not a war crime. This is the third or fourth time I've asked.

If we did the same thing to another nation and lost, you'd better fucking believe the U.S. would be tried and convicted for an illegal war of aggression. I also didn't say "Is" but "can be considered." And guess what, if you follow international law, it is.
Your hypothetical is irrelevant to the matter at hand. The law is clear on the matter.

Define war crimes. How is it when the Japanese waterboards U.S. P.O.W.s it is a war crime, but when the U.S. waterboards it is somehow not a war crime. This is the third or fourth time I've asked.
I'm sure they did other things too.

They're war crimes when other people do them to Americans. They're not when Americans do them to others. Duh.

Your hypothetical is irrelevant to the matter at hand. The law is clear on the matter.

I'm sure they did other things too.

Define war crimes. This is the fourth time I've asked. If you will not even do that when asked four separate times this conversations is over and you've lost.

And no, the soldiers were charged and hanged specifically on waterboarding.

Define war crimes. This is the fourth time I've asked. If you will not even do that when asked four separate times this conversations is over and you've lost.
You mean you lost once I pointed out how as a matter of law you were wrong and you won't admit it.

And no, the soldiers were charged and hanged specifically on waterboarding.
Doubtful

What does the US constitution have to do with a question of international law?

A treaty (or executive agreement) cannot override a power/right of the US Constitution.

You mean you lost once I pointed out how as a matter of law you were wrong and you won't admit it.
No. If the U.S. were tried in an international court, the U.S. would undoubtedly be convicted of an illegal war of aggression, which is a war crime.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/29/politics/main3554687.shtml

A treaty (or executive agreement) cannot override a power/right of the US Constitution.
Which is irrelevant to whether war crimes happened during the bush administration. Under our own definition of war crimes and our constitution, waterboarding is very illegal and it is a warcrime.

And also what Dude Abides said.

No. If the U.S. were tried in an international court, the U.S. would undoubtedly be convicted of an illegal war of aggression, which is a war crime

And also what Dude Abides said.
The idea of the US being tried in international kangaroo court is laughable and would never happen. How will the US extradite someone for following US law?

Dude was also wrong

The idea of the US being tried in international kangaroo court is laughable and would never happen. How will the US extradite someone for following US law?

Dude was also wrong

You still haven't defined warcrimes despite being asked for times.

You're done. You have absolutely nothing. You are incapable of following a conversation involving me asking you a simple question or responding to the fact that the U.S. has tried other nations for an action everyone else agrees the U.S. participated in as a war crime.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You still haven't defined warcrimes despite being asked for times.

You're done. You have absolutely nothing. You are incapable of following a conversation involving me asking you a simple question or responding to the fact that the U.S. has tried other nations for an action everyone else agrees the U.S. participated in as a war crime.

The doctrine of American Exceptionalism has no time for your "laws" and "facts," sir!

No you are the one who is done.

Why do you keep ask for a definition when you already have one you like?

Because you have one that wildly differs from reality. Definitions are everything in arguments and you have avoided laying out your interpretation of a term crucial to the conversation since the conversation began. You can't even follow the first step in making an argument. This is why everyone always cheers when you are banned. You are a worthless poster. You can't even lay out terms. You contribute nothing.

Because you have one that wildly differs from reality. Definitions are everything in arguments and you have avoided laying out your interpretation of a term crucial to the conversation since the conversation began. You can't even follow the first step in making an argument. This is why everyone always cheers when you are banned. You are a worthless poster. You can't even lay out terms. You contribute nothing.
People cheer? Wow I never realized I mattered so much to you. Lol

If I contribute nothing why is the MST3K thread as large as it is?

I'd be happy to give definitions, but until I can look over the USCMJ to see how criminal acts in wartime are treated I can't give you a definition.

Manos. You bring this up in every thread. War Crimes are international crimes. The fact that the consitution over rules the UN charter only applies IN THE US. and the US legal system. Though you also miss that other supreme court cases have made international treaties a part of US law.

That´s not to say the Iraq War was a war crime. I don´t think it was either. But there are other reasons for that. That are better than your oft repeated line. By your logic of they were following US law is stupid as well. Any genocide or war crime would be ok if is good if its within that countries constitution, which is crazy.

Manos. You bring this up in every thread. War Crimes are international crimes. The fact that the consitution over rules the UN charter only applies IN THE US. and the US legal system. Though you also miss that other supreme court cases have made international treaties a part of US law.
I haven't missed that. Treaties going back to migratory bird issues can overrule state law, and are equal to Federal Law (which ever is last in time).

No reservations get us out of common article 3 as applied to torture.

No, but there is an argument to whether if article 3 applied to people like KSM. (We tortured Im not denying that. Just that the cut and dry: US committed war crimes bush is a war criminal stuff isn´t cut and dry and decided)

Clevinger

That's a shame he was so young, but I always figured he'd go out young either due to some kind of addiction or suicide, so if it's true that he died naturally that's pretty shocking. Forgetting all his horrible politics, he seemed like a very unstable person.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shirley Sherrod has way more class than any of you Breitbart apologists:

"The news of Mr. Breitbart's death came as a surprise to me when I was informed of it this morning. My prayers go out to Mr. Breitbart's family as they cope through this very difficult time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom