• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
as long as you remember that as a fan, movies like this are not made for you, then you'll be okay. they know you'll come, it's the masses they want to appeal to.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spider-Man can be credibly dark.

Just as long as it avoids stuff like Peters radioactive semen giving Mary Jane cancer (lol reign)

G-Fex

Dead said:
Spider-Man can be credibly dark.

Just as long as it avoids stuff like Peters radioactive semen giving Mary Jane cancer (lol reign)

Kraven's last hunt was pretty damn dark. Kinda depressing too.

Kaizer

Banned
Love the look of the logo in that picture, very "Comic"-ish. A nice change from the font Sony aped for the PS3.

Why are you guys talking about a dark Spider-Man? That would be hilariously out-of-place, trying to form an emotional connection with a kid who swings around on webs and fights Power Ranger rejects in a garish and gaudy costume. The whole series is cheese on film. Trying to make it anything else would be an incredible failure.

I mean, Jesus, Spider-Man's backstory is about a nerd who was bitten by a radioactive spider and then he gets the spider's powers because the spider was radioactive and now he swings on webs and fights crime and gets the girl and becomes strong because he's radioactive and a spider and he dresses like a spider and stuff.

To think that some people take that shit seriously...

G-Fex

Kaizer said:
Love the look of the logo in that picture, very "Comic"-ish. A nice change from the font Sony aped for the PS3.

I don't remember where I saw that spider-man font before, probably the same they use on the merchandise or the comic.

Better than PS3 letterings

Jack Scofield said:
Why are you guys talking about a dark Spider-Man? That would be hilariously out-of-place, trying to form an emotional connection with a kid who swings around on webs and fights Power Ranger rejects in a garish and gaudy costume. The whole series is cheese on film. Trying to make it anything else would be an incredible failure.

I mean, Jesus, Spider-Man's backstory is about a nerd who was bitten by a radioactive spider and then he gets the spider's powers because the spider was radioactive and now he swings on webs and fights crime and gets the girl and becomes strong because he's radioactive and a spider and he dresses like a spider and stuff.

Pretty much. This whole trend of dark and gritty comic book movies strikes me as people trying to validate something that doesn't need to be validated.

MadraptorMan said:
That all may be true but we sure as hell don't need Spider-Man 3 levels of cheese.

Well there's always a fine middle ground to be found, but I think that the first two movies strike a very nice middle ground between absurdity and drama. I also think the badness of the third movie is overstated by most, but that's a different discussion.

Jack Scofield said:

Mostly agreed. I do think there is a darkness in spiderman comics that defines the character in many stories but it's a very different type of dark which isn't gritty. Instead it's a very cold, unsettling and very human darkness that deals with the everyday struggles and doldrums. Far be it for a summer hollywood flick of a rebooted franchise to pull off while throwing us shitty comic book movie humour and pointless shallow relationships.

G-Fex

MadraptorMan said:
That all may be true but we sure as hell don't need Spider-Man 3 levels of cheese.

There's a lot of cheese in all 3 movies, not just the third one. I noticed when I watched the top 11 stupidest spider-man moments

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if they're going to waste the entire movie on his origin story, yet again, or if they'll just treat it like a continuation of the previous films.

FStop7 said:
I wonder if they're going to waste the entire movie on his origin story, yet again, or if they'll just treat it like a continuation of the previous films.

I don't think they do, but there's a couple of flash to Uncle Ben's death I think.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Pretty much. This whole trend of dark and gritty comic book movies strikes me as people trying to validate something that doesn't need to be validated.

Is there really a trend though? I mean, I know studios keep saying that before movies come out but what "dark gritty" comic book movies have come out since Batman Begins? Off hand I can only really think of Kick-Ass (which was half comedy) and Watchmen (which should be dark and gritty). The Iron Man movies haven't been dark. Neither Cap or Thor look dark. Super Man Returns aped the Donner versions and none of the talk about the new one sounds particularly dark. Green Lantern looks straight up goofy. I just don't see it.

noah111

Still Alive
Messypandas said:
This is from SHH. Thought it was Amazing:

New-Poster-1.jpg

By BDS23420
Awesome work, even if the lighting is a little off. Great stuff, that place always produces great shit during the hype of pre-big super hero movie releases.

Anyway, I just got this sent to me from a friend, a press release about the lineup of toys and stuff for "The Amazing Spider-Man Movie™" was sent out.. among them is a Target exclusive basketball.

Here's the press image: http://i56.tinypic.com/2ed45fa.png And theres even a limited edition version: http://i51.tinypic.com/mued5d.jpg

Cool stuff.

Commodore

Salvor.Hardin said:
Mostly agreed. I do think there is a darkness in spiderman comics that defines the character in many stories but it's a very different type of dark which isn't gritty. Instead it's a very cold, unsettling and very human darkness that deals with the everyday struggles and doldrums. Far be it for a summer hollywood flick of a rebooted franchise to pull off while throwing us shitty comic book movie humour and pointless shallow relationships.

One further, I've always liked the story arcs that portray the weight of his powers and his willingness (or lack thereof) to shoulder the responsibility he'd discovered. As a character dynamic, that's intriguing. On a surface level, conceptually Spiderman sounds like poo. But deft and original turns at creating and expanding on his character added layers that drove public consciousness into the more unique aspects of his character. Dark and gritty, light-hearted and funny, whatever, as long as the sincere juggle of life and responsibility are told well, Spiderman is ace in my book.

G-Fex said:
most of the suit is dirty

Summary: It's a production shot not a press release

Yeah, I'm aware. I just think it's a little humorous how dirty his groin is, especially when compared with the rest of the suit. And I meant "crotch" in my last post. Somehow I made a typo. :)

As an aside, is there any idea of when a teaser might be released for this film, or is it still awhile away?

Summary: When will footage be released?

Who decided to make the webshooters look like cheap plastic toys? Do they even have to be so pronounced? No doubt they'll provide some exposition regarding the mechanics during the movie so there's no point in beating us over the head with it.

Summary Man said:
Yeah, I'm aware. I just think it's a little humorous how dirty his groin is, especially when compared with the rest of the suit. And I meant "crotch" in my last post. Somehow I made a typo. :)

As an aside, is there any idea of when a teaser might be released for this film, or is it still awhile away?

Summary: When will footage be released?

His crotch is dark so that once on screen after post production, we won't be seeing a particularly explosive bulge.

Salsa

The situation that interests me more right now is Peters job/ambition if he's in college the whole movie.

Will they go with photographer or web-designer like in Ultimate ? started doubting since they said JJ is out..

SHAZOOM

Costume looks like its taking cues from the Ben Reilly costume.

*edit*

Actually, maybe its the Alex Ross version.

spiderman1024.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
are they going to retell the entire origin story again about how he becomes spiderman?

i hope not. anyone watching this movie is going to know by now. no need to retread old ground.

.GqueB.

Banned
Solo said:
Typecast is, as the name says, being cast only/mostly as a certain type of character. You know when you watch a mob movie, and there some guy in it that you see in all kinds of mob movies, and pretty much only in those kind of movies? That is someone who is typecast. They get work playing the same kind of part in the same genre of movies, and make a career out of it. To call Tobey Maguire typecast after Spider-Man is completely ludicrous. First, he has barely made any other movies (he doesn't have to, he is rich as fuck from S-M and he is married to the daughter of the head of Univeral), and what he has done has ranged from playing a washed up jockey to war vet with serious PTS disorder. Neither are even close to the realm of playing a nerdy, lovable loser, which is what we'd see Maguire continue to do if he were actually typecast.

Which he isn't.
Explanation is too long and complicated. You want a simple definition of "typecast"?

michael_cera_image.jpg

No further explanation is needed.

bob page

After seeing Boy A recently, I'm pretty pumped about this. Garfield has some great acting talent, and I'm sure anything will be better than the abomination that was Spider Man 3.

Seem's like a bit of a missed opportunity not putting Kraven in this. Having the Lizard rampage around new york seems the perfect opportunity to introduce his character as a bounty hunter/big-game hunter trying to get to the Lizard before spider-man does.

although I haven't read any of the comics in a while so if he is better suited as the focus of a single movie then fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom