• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton back to animation, helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars 2 was not better than the first.

Boring, wrong

Pixar: Insisting on giving our customers a sequel to all the movies that don't need it and no sequel for the one movie that could use one (The incredibles)

At what point would The Incredibles need to have a sequel? It seemed to end on a perfect note. A prequel maybe, but everything is resolved. We COULD go in and see what other super hero stuff they do, but the movie - despite how awesome the fights were - were about them coming to terms with their powers and their families. That was the most interesting part.

man of science

Neo Member
Pixar: Insisting on giving our customers a sequel to all the movies that don't need it and no sequel for the one movie that could use one (The incredibles)

Exactly.

Also my reaction to the thread title:

Andrew Stanton back to animation

YAY!

helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

AW :(

And I loved Finding Nemo.

qindarka

Banned
To all saying that Ghibli is better than Pixar at the moment, they have actually had a horrible last 10 years or so with The Cat Returns, Tales of Earthsea and even Miyazaki's Ponyo being bad movies. Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill are nice movies but hardly great.

I don't like the idea of Finding Nemo 2 either but it hasn't actually been officially confirmed yet so maybe leave the bashing til then.

Boring, wrong
Uh huh, sure.
To all saying that Ghibli is better than Pixar at the moment, they have actually had a horrible last 10 years or so with The Cat Returns, Tales of Earthsea and even Miyazaki's Ponyo being bad movies. Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill are nice movies but hardly great.

I don't like the idea of Finding Nemo 2 either but it hasn't actually been officially confirmed yet so maybe leave the bashing til then.
Indeed, Ghibli is not what it used to be.

NateDrake

Ponyo wasn't a bad movie. It had tons of charm and personality. Great children's movie and lovely animation. Was it too cute for some? Absolutely, but it wasn't a bad movie.

Salsa

LFGBo.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I wish this was news about a Carter sequel lol :( Loved that movie. Will never understand the hate.

qindarka

Banned
It wasn't bad, just mediocre.

My point still stands though. I am a big fan of Studio Ghibli and have watched all their movies but it is very annoying when people act like they are perfect and announce their superiority to other animation studios in unrelated topics (like this one). Especially considering the quality of their recent output, I struggle to see how anyone could consider them to be the best at the moment. I get the impression that many have only watched their most popular and critically acclaimed movies which were released some time ago but still used as arguments for their supposed current superiority.

They aren't forcing anything, he was given an option and accepted it. Pixar isn't the plucky underdog anymore, they are Disney. Stanton could have said no and it isn't like the people you perceive as "Disney" would have made Finding Nemo 2 regardless because "Disney" can't.
I am VERY aware of how things work internally at Disney, thank you. What you seem to be assuming is that the live action branch and the animation branch of the company are the same. If that is what you think, then you are wrong. Disney ANIMATION and Pixar are basically one and the same now, (and even saying that is a stretch) but their live action arm is run by completely different people. Disney as a whole have [allegedly] told Stanton "If you want to do another live action movie for us, you need to make another Finding Nemo." Saying no to their "offer" would mean Stanton wouldnt get the opportunity to helm anymore live action films. Get it? That's business, yes, but it doesn't mean it's not jacked as hell.

Lakitu

st5fu
Why Finding Nemo 2? Why not more original work like the first one and Wall-E. Stanton is definitely good for it.

qindarka

Banned
I'll reserve judgment on this until we get at least a plot outline (and even that isn't really enough) but I hope that they won't name it Finding Nemo 2.

Well I do trust Pixar but Nemo pretty much ended there. Cannot imagine how they could continue the story. Maybe prequel or Nemo loses his son? meh... More original stories please.

StuBurns

Banned
It'll be something like Finding Ahab/Hardwigg, Nemo is the concerned parent. They're not going to do the Home Alone 2 thing.

Sorry dude, it was too similar to Rio. Finding Nemo 2 is not similar to anything.

Please enlighten us as to what the hypothetical Finding Nemo sequel is similar to.

I know you're being facetious or sarcastic, but Rio and newt were almost the exact same movie. Two blue animals, the last of their kind, forced together to save that species, the female hates the male, they get out of their lab and lost in the wild together where they learn to love one another.

I highly, highly doubt that a Finding Nemo sequel would be that close of a copy to its predecessor. We literally have no idea what the story will be. When Pixar said "We're making another movie set in the MI world" I doubt that ANYONE thought "Oh sweet a prequel set in scare college!" All we can even assume is that Dory, Nemo, and Marlin will be in it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Yes this. It is infuriating. I don't even really like Pixar films beyond Toy Story and The Incredibles, have far more enjoyed stuff like How To Train Your Dragon and Rango, but The Incredibles DEMANDED a sequel and here we fucking are.

Drek

I wish this was news about a Carter sequel lol :( Loved that movie. Will never understand the hate.

My hate stems from it completely dicking up the excellent storylines of the first two books, when each book itself could have stood as a fantastic movies in their own right.

Characters completely changed, storylines from both books mashed together into a mess of a plot, etc..

I am VERY aware of how things work internally at Disney, thank you. What you seem to be assuming is that the live action branch and the animation branch of the company are the same. If that is what you think, then you are wrong. Disney ANIMATION and Pixar are basically one and the same now, (and even saying that is a stretch) but their live action arm is run by completely different people. Disney as a whole have [allegedly] told Stanton "If you want to do another live action movie for us, you need to make another Finding Nemo." Saying no to their "offer" would mean Stanton wouldnt get the opportunity to helm anymore live action films. Get it? That's business, yes, but it doesn't mean it's not jacked as hell.

For someone with such an obviously deep understanding of the inner workings of Disney and business in general, I have no idea why you're so offended by the concept of "you made a shit product that lost us money, now make us a product that does make money or no more." They could have just told him to get the fuck out.

qindarka

Banned
I'm no fan of Stanton but he shouldn't have to do any specific project if he doesn't want to.
And his movies before John Carter have made a lot of money for them in the past. Of course, Stanton might well have wanted to make this sequel in which case all of this would be moot.

D-Stubbs

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a Finding Nemo sequel but I'll try to hold off judgement until I see it. I doubt it'll be something like Nemo getting lost again.

Blader

Yep. They've really only had one good movie in the past decade.

I'm no fan of Stanton but he shouldn't have to do any specific project if he doesn't want to.
And his movies before John Carter have made a lot of money for them in the past. Of course, Stanton might well have wanted to make this sequel in which case all of this would be moot.

He doesn't have to, he has to make Finding Nemo 2 if he wants to make another live action movie for Disney. Those are two very different things.

Pixar has a very good record with sequels, but how can you make a sequel to Finding Nemo? Have him get lost again? Monsters University works because of the much larger open world the made for the movie, but Finding Nemo has none of that.

You have a team of characters , a gigantic ocean , and great voice actors. It's pretty simple.

Yes this. It is infuriating. I don't even really like Pixar films beyond Toy Story and The Incredibles, have far more enjoyed stuff like How To Train Your Dragon and Rango, but The Incredibles DEMANDED a sequel and here we fucking are.

What does a sequel to The Incredibles bring to the table that was not already accomplished with the first movie

jett

D-Member
What does a sequel to The Incredibles bring to the table that was not already accomplished with the first movie

Yeah we don't need an Incredibles sequel. The fun stuff about the movie was the concept of retired middle-aged superheroes springing back into action, and the family dynamics of one with super powers. All been covered, and more.

For someone with such an obviously deep understanding of the inner workings of Disney and business in general, I have no idea why you're so offended by the concept of "you made a shit product that lost us money, now make us a product that does make money or no more." They could have just told him to get the fuck out.
Just because I understand it, and that it happens at all companies, doesn't mean (and doesnt have to mean) I don't think it's shitty.

Someone tries a new thing, they misstep. The people in charge go, "Oh, you want to try again? Ok, but first you need to go make a sequel to your other movie." It back him into a position where he can either force out a sequel in order to try again at something he wants to do, or just not make live action movies anymore.

As I said before, it's business, but that doesn't mean it's not jacked. Just because I get it, doesnt mean I have to like it. I don't see how someone could look at that and say "Yeah ok, that's a fair request." If they had said "Maybe make another animated movie first to prove you still have it." that would be one thing, but the carrot is on a string specifically tied to a sequel to Finding Nemo.

Meh I have always had the attitude of "If the sequel is good fine. If its bad....I am going to ip you a new one". So if they think they can make a good one more power to them but I will be a complete bitch if its bad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Clearly the plot will be Dory forgetting they found Nemo and going off to find him.

But seriously, make a goddamn sequel to the Incredibles.

Hindle

Banned
I always thought Finding Nemo would be a cool fit for a sequel, the ocean is huge, plenty of stories to be told in it.

Just because I understand it, and that it happens at all companies, doesn't mean (and doesnt have to mean) I don't think it's shitty.

Someone tries a new thing, they misstep. The people in charge go, "Oh, you want to try again? Ok, but first you need to go make a sequel to your other movie." It back him into a position where he can either force out a sequel in order to try again at something he wants to do, or just not make live action movies anymore.

As I said before, it's business, but that doesn't mean it's not jacked. Just because I get it, doesnt mean I have to like it. I don't see how someone could look at that and say "Yeah ok, that's a fair request." If they had said "Maybe make another animated movie first to prove you still have it." that would be one thing, but the carrot is on a string specifically tied to a sequel to Finding Nemo.

It wasn't just some small "oops," it lost 200 million dollars. It's nice that you think that a company should just shrug and give him a hug and a chuck on the shoulder after that, but the fact that they're letting him make another movie at all is pretty nice.

It wasn't just some small "oops," it lost 200 million dollars. It's nice that you think that a company should just shrug and give him a hug and a chuck on the shoulder after that, but the fact that they're letting him make another movie at all is pretty nice.
You're putting words in my mouth. I do not think they should let the failure of John Carter slide, at all. I specifically think that it is shitty for them to say he has to make a sequel to Finding Nemo if he wants to try his hand at a non-animated movie again. I don't see what is so hard to grasp about this.

tino

Banned
Meh I have always had the attitude of "If the sequel is good fine. If its bad....I am going to ip you a new one". So if they think they can make a good one more power to them but I will be a complete bitch if its bad.

Why didn't you rib pixar a new one after cars 2?

You are a consumer whore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom