• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Batongen said:
I told you guys to wait for what SE had in the making ;). Also, it's pretty awesome and feels like quality all around. I'm not gonna tease you with anything else.

Don't tease - just get them to send me one. ;)

sun-drop

Batongen said:
I told you guys to wait for what SE had in the making ;). Also, it's pretty awesome and feels like quality all around. I'm not gonna tease you with anything else.

resistance or capacitive?

waxer

Amoled Is really hard to see outdoors though.
Im still waiting for the right phone for me. Has to be ok mp3 player though. Ill wait a few more months to see whats coming before making a decision. The hero is mighty tempting in the meantime though :(
Whats the word on tegra. Sony Racheal has a snapdragon chip, so i assume it runs hd video and encoding (possible omnia hd competition??) But what are the power consumption figures like for it.
I remember seeing the tegra slides in a thread saying it has amazingly low power consumption. Zunehd is rumoured to last a long time as well. I have been kinda holding off after reading about it and seeing the sample vids of hd stuff running on the dev mobile set.

Cryket is aweome!

The saddest thig about this thread is that I have a G1 already! but at least (for now) it's likely to be the most hackable.

Midas

Rachael will be mine if SE doesn't fuck it up in someway, wouldn't be surprised if they did.. Love the "lol" as release date. :lol

Midas

Phantast2k said:
It's out in Germany. I'm going to get one in a few weeks :)
It's sleeker & lighter than all the other andoird phones, has an amoled display, 8gb, better battery life and probably the best cam of all the android offering.
Here is a comparison video
However the ram limitation could turn out to be a problem (with some app at least) :(

Can you get it without contract? I would love to get one before I buy SE Rachael. Need something, cannot wait until late this year or early next year for a new phone.

Midas said:
Can you get it without contract? I would love to get one before I buy SE Rachael. Need something, cannot wait until late this year or early next year for a new phone.
It's o2 exclusive (for now).
You can buy it in a o2 shop for 437,5 € without a contract.

Tentatively waiting for Calgary, it has a lot that I like (Verizon, slide out keyboard). Deal breaker could be the etched metal RAZR style keyboard, not really a fan of those, but we'll see.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Batongen, just one thing... did it "feel" like an '09 phone, or a '10 phone? ;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Batongen said:
:lol :lol You won't be able to squeeze that out of me :)

Well usually from holding a handset you're able to instinctively tell... "this is beta software/hardware..."

The UI video that was leaked seemed beta, to me, at least... So I'm still going with that. :)

Batongen

Banned
Andrex said:
Well usually from holding a handset you're able to instinctively tell... "this is beta software/hardware..."

The UI video that was leaked seemed beta, to me, at least... So I'm still going with that. :)
To be frank, the hardware I test is usually in a early state ;)

But you go with the info you want to tell, Andrex, and keep up the good work updating this thread ::two thumbs up::

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Whoa:
androidfacebook_540.png

Supposedly, the Rachel and MyTouch3G both show a native Facebook app, by Facebook.

Source?
http://androidandme.com/2009/07/news/official-facebook-app-finally-coming-to-android/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Batongen said:
To be frank, the hardware I test is usually in a early state ;)

But you go with the info you want to tell, Andrex, and keep up the good work updating this thread ::two thumbs up::

That's enough for me, then. ;)

El Papa said:
Looks like I jumped the gun on my HTC Hero for Sprint statement. My bad.

Huh?

Skittleguy said:
Whoa:
androidfacebook_540.png

Supposedly, the Rachel and MyTouch3G both show a native Facebook app, by Facebook.

Source?
http://androidandme.com/2009/07/news/official-facebook-app-finally-coming-to-android/

Yeah. There wasn't a native one before?

Looking at the Samsung i7500/Galaxy, the entire UI seems to lag behind a lot. Hopefully that's something that can be relieved with further optimization.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Andrex said:
Yeah. There wasn't a native one before?
Well, Bloo is native but third party. If the T-Mobile page can be believed than this one is by Facebook themselves. Finally, we might just get inbox access afterall!

gkryhewy

I think I might get a MyTouch. On balance, seems like a pretty solid offering. I wish I could search the app store before buying -- any way to do that?

sun-drop

if andriod apps can code to the metal etc ...then is there a radio app out there?

not a net based streaming app ..i mean one that uses your headphone cable for reception for eg. like my sony walkman phone does ...

is that even possibble? i've searched .... can't find.

Chojin

sun-drop said:
if andriod apps can code to the metal etc ...then is there a radio app out there?

not a net based streaming app ..i mean one that uses your headphone cable for reception for eg. like my sony walkman phone does ...

is that even possibble? i've searched .... can't find.

FM radio's are rare on mobile phones these days. This is mostly due to most phones having MP3 players as a standard these days. Manufacturers aren't going to pay more in manufacturing for what they can have in software. You also have to consider while at a different frequency, having all those radio transmissions coming all to the same handset is bleh.

But yeah there's no radio on the myTouch or G1. There are a few nice podcast streaming apps though :)

Last phone I had that had radio was my nokia 3300. YE OLDE.

dude

dude
That HTC Hero is so sexy.

I don't know if I should go for it though, I'm always afraid they're going to announce some ultimate super phone with tits or something the day after I buy it.

hoverX

I'm really looking to swap my iPhone for an Android phone but i need to know a few things first.

1) Is there a decent eBook reader?
2)how is the mp3 player? how does it handle podcasts?

santouras

Chojin said:
FM radio's are rare on mobile phones these days. This is mostly due to most phones having MP3 players as a standard these days. Manufacturers aren't going to pay more in manufacturing for what they can have in software. You also have to consider while at a different frequency, having all those radio transmissions coming all to the same handset is bleh.

But yeah there's no radio on the myTouch or G1. There are a few nice podcast streaming apps though :)

Last phone I had that had radio was my nokia 3300. YE OLDE.
every nokia I've had from my 3300 to my n95 has had an fm radio tuner. Nokia are great like that, they rarely remove features from their phones

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
dude said:
That HTC Hero is so sexy.

I don't know if I should go for it though, I'm always afraid they're going to announce some ultimate super phone with tits or something the day after I buy it.

I think that's true for any phone you ever get.

Kapsama

santouras said:
every nokia I've had from my 3300 to my n95 has had an fm radio tuner. Nokia are great like that, they rarely remove features from their phones

My Motorola phone has a radio, my sister's Nokia has a radio and my other sister's Sony Ericsson has a radio as well, so I don't know what Chojin is talking about.:D

JaseMath

The only Android phone I'm interested in atm is the Galaxy/i7500. Give it to me, T-Mobile. The MyTouch feels like a cheap toy - like a SixAxis w/o the rumble.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ZROCOOL said:
Hero for Sprint? ;/

Or possibly AT&T. However Sprint seemed the most logical since AT&T's roadmap was leaked, which showed the Lancaster and Heron, but no Hero.

gkrykewy said:
That's awesome, thanks! Maybe you should add it to the OP?

I was considering adding a links section, so I guess I will.

Chojin

Kapsama said:
My Motorola phone has a radio, my sister's Nokia has a radio and my other sister's Sony Ericsson has a radio as well, so I don't know what Chojin is talking about.:D

Oh my god! You're totally right. Two phones you've owned out of all the phones released in the past 8 years have radios.

Fucking HTC, HTC should burn in hell for not having a radio in their phones. All the other phones do.

Schrade

Man.. is there any other cool "smart" phones that AT&T carries? My company is having us switch to cell phones and I want an Android phone or a Pre but I'm stuck with AT&T. I'm being discouraged from getting an iPhone though because we need more diversity for development of our software on the various smart phones.

So with AT&T.. what's the best option if it's not an iPhone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Schrade said:
Man.. is there any other cool "smart" phones that AT&T carries? My company is having us switch to cell phones and I want an Android phone or a Pre but I'm stuck with AT&T. I'm being discouraged from getting an iPhone though because we need more diversity for development of our software on the various smart phones.

So with AT&T.. what's the best option if it's not an iPhone?

Nothing at the moment, unfortunately. The Heron and Lancaster
probably
won't come out until later this year.

You could pick up the Dev Phone 1 (especially since it seems that's how you'll use it); $400, but it's unlocked and has root access.

tokkun

Interesting episode of the Engadget podcast with week with lots of talk on the MyTouch, Hero, and Android in general. They are very negative towards the MyTouch, relatively negative to Android/Google in general, but positive on the Hero.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/11/engadget-podcast-154-07-11-2009/

Andrex said:
Or possibly AT&T. However Sprint seemed the most logical since AT&T's roadmap was leaked, which showed the Lancaster and Heron, but no Hero.

Sprint's leaked roadmap from March also mentioned that there would be an unnamed Android phone in Q4. On the other hand, there was an FCC filing for the Hero using the AT&T/Rogers 3G bands. So who knows. It's possible that it could go to both carriers. All that's really certain is that it's not coming to T-Mobile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
Interesting episode of the Engadget podcast with week with lots of talk on the MyTouch, Hero, and Android in general. They are very negative towards the MyTouch, relatively negative to Android/Google in general, but positive on the Hero.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/11/engadget-podcast-154-07-11-2009/

Lemmings.

tokkun said:
Sprint's leaked roadmap from March also mentioned that there would be an unnamed Android phone in Q4. On the other hand, there was an FCC filing for the Hero using the AT&T/Rogers 3G bands. So who knows. It's possible that it could go to both carriers. All that's really certain is that it's not coming to T-Mobile.

Yup, it'll either be AT&T or Sprint. I made an educated guess between them when I made the thread, though.

santouras

Phantast2k said:
It's out in Germany. I'm going to get one in a few weeks :)
It's sleeker & lighter than all the other andoird phones, has an amoled display, 8gb, better battery life and probably the best cam of all the android offering.
Here is a comparison video
However the ram limitation could turn out to be a problem (with some app at least) :(
yeah :-/
wish there was a way to upgrade ram in a phone, lol

Chojin

Andrex said:
Being able to keep my computer on without having to install a virtual PC program. :p

Andrex get your G1 already. I just watched some House M.D. ;P Now I'm going to listen to some podcasts and then get a massage and then have my G1 make me some coffee.

(sorry for the dickwaving ;o)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So tell me about T-Mobile's "upgrade" stuff.

So I get a two-year contract, then near the end of it I get a new phone, or something? As I said before, I've been out of the phones market for a while (and in fact, never really got too into it.)

santouras

man looking at some videos of the i7500 has me really hanging out for it now.... Does anyone recommend some reputable import stores? Am in AU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom