• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AHT--BigBanner01.png

AHT--WhatIsAndroid01.png

Developed by the Open Handset Alliance, Android brings Internet-style innovation and openness to mobile phones.

Android™ delivers a complete set of software for mobile devices: an operating system, middleware and key mobile applications. The Android Software Development Kit (SDK) is now available.

Open
Android was built from the ground-up to enable developers to create compelling mobile applications that take full advantage of all a handset has to offer. It was built to be truly open. For example, an application can call upon any of the phone's core functionality such as making calls, sending text messages, or using the camera, allowing developers to create richer and more cohesive experiences for users. Android is built on the open Linux Kernel. Furthermore, it utilizes a custom virtual machine that was designed to optimize memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment. Android is open source; it can be liberally extended to incorporate new cutting edge technologies as they emerge. The platform will continue to evolve as the developer community works together to build innovative mobile applications.

All applications are created equal
Android does not differentiate between the phone's core applications and third-party applications. They can all be built to have equal access to a phone's capabilities providing users with a broad spectrum of applications and services. With devices built on the Android Platform, users are able to fully tailor the phone to their interests. They can swap out the phone's homescreen, the style of the dialer, or any of the applications. They can even instruct their phones to use their favorite photo viewing application to handle the viewing of all photos.

Breaking down application boundaries
Android breaks down the barriers to building new and innovative applications. For example, a developer can combine information from the web with data on an individual's mobile phone -- such as the user's contacts, calendar, or geographic location -- to provide a more relevant user experience. With Android, a developer can build an application that enables users to view the location of their friends and be alerted when they are in the vicinity giving them a chance to connect.

Fast & easy application development
Android provides access to a wide range of useful libraries and tools that can be used to build rich applications. For example, Android enables developers to obtain the location of the device, and allows devices to communicate with one another enabling rich peer-to-peer social applications. In addition, Android includes a full set of tools that have been built from the ground up alongside the platform providing developers with high productivity and deep insight into their applications.

- Official Android Website

AHT--WhatIsThisThread02.png

Andy Rubin, senior director for Mobile Platforms for Google, said that by the end of 2009, there will be about eighteen to twenty different Android devices on the market, made by about eight or nine different manufacturers. Despite being more than halfway through the year, we still only know a fraction of what those devices are. This lends itself quite easily to rumors and speculation about "such-and-such's" new Android phone or netbook. Because of this, some of the dedicated Android threads have gotten a bit out of control with all the rumors and new announcements. Therefore, as Android is constantly growing, I decided a hub thread for all Android-related hardware announcments and speculation was needed to accommodate Android's explosive growth. The "dedicated" threads for individual handsets will still serve their purposes as Q&A threads and for speculation relating to that specific device ("will ___ get this firmware upgrade?" etc.)

For right now, this thread is focused on the United States market as it's the easiest for me to keep track of. However, Android is an international operating system and I plan to add other territories eventually- the UK and Canada being at the top of my priorities. The list therefore is broken down by carrier, as usually that is the most important piece of information for people deciding to buy a new phone. Devices with no carriers, rumored or announced, are at the bottom. I did make several large educated guesses in deciding what goes where, but I think it'll work itself out in time anyways.

This thread also only concerns the 2009 year. Obviously, some of these phones won't make it out in that time, but until anything is confirmed (or 2009 ends), I'll keep them. Now, with introductions out of the way, on to the list!​

AHT--TMobileUSA01.png

AHT-BeholdII01.png

AHT-Huawei02.png

AHT--ATT01.png

AHT-DellMini3i01.png

AHT-Heron01.png

AHT--Sprint01.png

AHT-Moment01.png

AHT--Verizon01.png

AHT-Calgary01.png

AHT--Unknown01.png

AHT-AcerLiquid01.png

AHT-Click02.png

AHT-OPhone01.png

AHT-Etna01.png

AHT-HaierH701.png

AHT-Galaxy02.png

AHT-GalaxyLite01.png

AHT--Unsubstantiated01.png

AHT--AndroidThreads01.png

• NeoGAF Android Trilogy:

• Individual Device Threads

• Meet the HTC Hero
    The official thread for the unveiling of HTC's third Android device, the HTC Hero which debuts HTC's custom Android interface, "Sense" - including multitouch, Adobe Flash, and a slick customized user interface.

• Meet the Motorola Cliq
    The official thread of the first US Android device not made by HTC, the Motorola Cliq, which includes the company's custom Android interface, "Motoblur" - streaming all your social networking lives into a single device.

• Sony Ericsson’s XPERIA X10
    The official thread for Sony-Ericsson's stunning first Android device, the XPERIA X10, which includes a sleek profile, ridiculously high-end specs, and their custom interface "Nexus UX" - transforming Android into an elegant work of art as only Sony-Ericsson can do.

• Meet the Google Nexus One
    The official thread for the real, actual, in-the-flesh Google Phone: the Nexus One, boasting an AMOLED WVGA screen, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and the beautiful Android 2.1. Sold by Google itself, with no other branding, this handset can be bought either unlocked or with contract from a US GSM provider.

• Other Threads:

i'm liking the slow but steady progress of android development. next year should be the 'big' year, right, in terms of phones that just 'have' it, right?

this years phones look like a good development from the original g1, with various options for all different form factors.

oh, and the custom UI work companies are doing, while also mainly not this year, is also sweet.

im looking forward to seeing what the remaining android phones for this year will be

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kkaabboomm said:
i'm liking the slow but steady progress of android development. next year should be the 'big' year, right, in terms of phones that just 'have' it, right?

this years phones look like a good development from the original g1, with various options for all different form factors.

oh, and the custom UI work companies are doing, while also mainly not this year, is also sweet.

im looking forward to seeing what the remaining android phones for this year will be

Yeah, all the phones coming out this year has me very excited for next year. Next year not only will we see the true "second generation" of Android phones, which should be like the Sony-Ericsson Rachael, but we should also see Android land on a slew of the low and mid-end phones. Android will invade everything, every audience. I believe with the MyTouch and the way T-Mobile is handling it that Android is about to become "mass-market" very soon.

Chojin

kkaabboomm said:

Like I said in the Magic post I think Android is going to be effing HUUUUUUUGE next year. iPhones will be the new Sidekicks, and I'm glad I work for the company that has the headstart on Android.

Tmo already said there's going to be at least 20 more (o_O) android phones, of course not all PDA stuff but handsets as well, by Christmas.

But I think the best indicator of sink or swim will be the rumored "Donut" update. Which I'm guessing will coincide with Adobe's release of Flash 10 for WinMo, Android, and Blackberries around October. Cupcake was a great step up, and if they could sock a homerun with Donut, there won't be anything stopping them next year.

The Custom UI thing is pretty snazzy. People are already putting the Hero rom into their magics/mytouches. Imagine what else we'd be able to do down the road.

Edit: Andrex, thats a pretty badass Opening Post too by the way. Kudos~

Edit Edit: oh by the way not to be nitpicky the myTouch is 192 megs of DDR SDRam like the G1. Sorry =\

I tried running a Hero ROM on my G1 for a while, but it just doesn't have enough horsepower to run it properly. Still, the UI itself is great, and I'm loving the Hero hardware. I'm gonna buy one.

Belfast

Man, here's hoping that Verizon phone turns out to be of some verifiable quality. If I can't have me an iPhone anytime soon, Android's the next best thing. And I should actually be able to upgrade/renew by then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
Tmo already said there's going to be at least 20 more (o_O) android phones, of course not all PDA stuff but handsets as well, by Christmas.

That was Andy Rubin of Google, and that was the generous number (lowball is 18). Whatever number launches, they won't all be phones, either- some may be netbooks or media tablets like the one Archos is unveiling in September.

Chojin said:
But I think the best indicator of sink or swim will be the rumored "Donut" update. Which I'm guessing will coincide with Adobe's release of Flash 10 for WinMo, Android, and Blackberries around October. Cupcake was a great step up, and if they could sock a homerun with Donut, there won't be anything stopping them next year.

Donut will probably have Flash, if not Adobe will probably make a Flash 10 plugin downloadable for the browser.

I'm looking forward to the UI improvements Donut will bring, Google better not be resting on their laurels with Sense and Rachael's UI already being shown off.

Chojin said:
Edit: Andrex, thats a pretty badass Opening Post too by the way. Kudos~

Thanks. :D

Chojin said:
Edit Edit: oh by the way not to be nitpicky the myTouch is 192 megs of DDR SDRam like the G1. Sorry =\

According to manufacturer HTC, the RAM is 288 MB, it would be really odd for T-Mobile to cripple what's already there.

Chojin

Andrex said:
That was Andy Rubin of Google, and that was the generous number (lowball is 18). Whatever number launches, they won't all be phones, either- some may be netbooks or media tablets like the one Archos is unveiling in September.

Donut will probably have Flash, if not Adobe will probably make a Flash 10 plugin downloadable for the browser.

I'm looking forward to the UI improvements Donut will bring, Google better not be resting on their laurels with Sense and Rachael's UI already being shown off.

Thanks. :D

According to manufacturer HTC, the RAM is 288 MB, it would be really odd for T-Mobile to cripple what's already there.

I think it has to do with DT passing the buck from on high. Vodafones Magic's are 192 as well. =\

And yeah, Sense UI is pretty damn good. So yes, they better get with it. Competition is so awesome :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
I think it has to do with DT passing the buck from on high. Vodafones Magic's are 192 as well. =\

And yeah, Sense UI is pretty damn good. So yes, they better get with it. Competition is so awesome :D

DT?

And it seems you're right, that's depressing. No Sense and crippled RAM. Sigh. You know why they're asking $200? It won't make nearly as big a consumer impact at that price, especially with the iPhone at $99. :/ And also, it's not really worth it. Damn.

tokkun

If the Hero does indeed come to Sprint - a rumor I'm still wary of - I may pick it up when I get new contract pricing in November. If it will activate on SERO that is........

One thing that is a little disappointing is that it seems like HTC's Android phones do not have as nice of a hardware design as some of their WinMo phones. Would love to have the screen resolution and thin form-factor of the Diamond 2.

Patriots7

I love Sony Ericsson.

The Rachel will replace my iPhone. Day 1. If the UI is exactly like the demonstration. But I'm not getting my hopes up, I don't think it's real. Also, even if it is real, by the time it gets to America, there will be better Android phones on the market, likely at a better price.

Prove me wrong Sony Ericsson!

Chojin

Andrex said:
DT?

And it seems you're right, that's depressing. No Sense and crippled RAM. Sigh. You know why they're asking $200? It won't make nearly as big a consumer impact at that price, especially with the iPhone at $99. :/ And also, it's not really worth it. Damn.

Not to poop on your parade. But the 199 price only comes for new customers. Upgrading to a myTouch for existing tmo customers for 199 only works if you've got two months left on your contract. You won't get a full discount even with a two year contract if like you're already on month 8 of an existing one :(

DT is Deutsche Telekom. T-Mobile USA's overlords. Though generally they let us run the company as we fit. But its the only thing I can think of. Tmo is totally horny for the myTouch and why we got the one with lesser ram doesn't make sense if the company itself decided not on getting it.

Edit: Oh and one last thing. At least the myTouch doesn't make Toast like the iPhone 3G does. (hint, iPhone 3G overheats like crazy)

UltimaPooh said:
How is the app community for Android going? When will it be big and booming?

All depends on the installbase. Android phones only been around in the states since the G1 came out. So compared to say iPhone's app store there's not a whole lot just yet. But there's already thousands and thousands of apps on the Android Marketplace. Its just not as robust as iPhones, yet.

The more people adopt it the more we'll get some goodies. And even game companies interested in supporting the platform.

ScummVM is on Android. What else do you need? :D

mj1108

First off, so glad to see this thread. Love my G1...had it since launch. Loving the different flavors of the OS hitting the devices.

For those who want to see what's on the Android Market now, someone was able to create a real-time web-based version of the market (can't download any apks from it, though). http://www.cyrket.com

rabhw

Awesome thread, totally loving my magic (Rogers 288mb), running the hero rom. So hot. Every friend I show it to that has an iPhone gets very sad, very quickly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UltimaPooh said:
How is the app community for Android going? When will it be big and booming?

Pretty good right now, it has over 5000 apps at the moment, which while 1/10th of the iPhone App Store's, is still second overall in the "mobile app marketplace arms race".

In addition, the one-two punch of the MyTouch 3G launching and the second Android Developer's Challenge opening should drive a huge second wave of development. Google also got points last May when they gave away free HTC Magics to all those in attendance of Google I/O, their yearly developer get-together.

In addition, Android has all the basics covered already on the Android Market, as well as some truly innovative exclusives (like a metal detector, emulators, or the upcoming Sherpa app.)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
tokkun said:
If the Hero does indeed come to Sprint - a rumor I'm still wary of - I may pick it up when I get new contract pricing in November. If it will activate on SERO that is........

I don't think we'll ever see a decent phone from Sprint offered on a SERO account ever again.

Chojin

Andrex said:
Pretty good right now, it has over 5000 apps at the moment, which while 1/10th of the iPhone App Store's, is still second overall in the "mobile app marketplace arms race".

In addition, the one-two punch of the MyTouch 3G launching and the second Android Developer's Challenge opening should drive a huge second wave of development. Google also got points last May when they gave away free HTC Magics to all those in attendance of Google I/O, their yearly developer get-together.

In addition, Android has all the basics covered already on the Android Market, as well as some truly innovative exclusives (like a metal detector, or the upcoming Sherpa app.)

Actually Metal Detector is a jab at iPhone but doesn't really work :p Or so I heard. I'll download it tonight.

There's quite a few apps that jab at iPhone, silly things that serve no function other than to just show what it can do what the iPhone can't.

Course iPhone gotz da games, 3D and John Carmack jizzing over it. I should tell Demi to port Trism to Android though.

Andrex said:

In addition, Android has all the basics covered already on the Android Market, as well as some truly innovative exclusives (like a metal detector, emulators, or the upcoming Sherpa app.)

Where are they? I got to the Android app store and there's not really alot there.

mj1108

Chojin said:
Actually Metal Detector is a jab at iPhone but doesn't really work :p Or so I heard. I'll download it tonight.

Metal Detector actually works. You can even use it to find metal studs in walls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UltimaPooh said:
Where are they? I got to the Android app store and there's not really alot there.

The website? There's purposely not a lot there. You may want to try Cryket.

This brings me to divulge my final Android thread (for this year, obviously next year there'll be another hardware thread), an official Android app review and recommendation thread. I think I'll do it next month when the MyTouch comes out, just to give these threads a good bit of equal spacing. Don't wanna get the stigma I'm just spamming a bunch of Android threads. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UltimaPooh said:
Sorry for the noob questions but is this the site you are talking about?

http://www.android.com/market/

I guess I need a handset to find the rest?

Yes, the Android Market application is the only way to truly browse and download apps for Android.

On the other hand, Cryket offers a web interface of the Android Market, but without downloads. However, since you don't have a device that's really no issue to you, no?

Andrex said:
Yes, the Android Market application is the only way to truly browse and download apps for Android.

On the other hand, Cryket offers a web interface of the Android Market, but without downloads. However, since you don't have a device that's really no issue to you, no?

No device yet.

Oh and thanks.

tokkun

chuckddd said:
I don't think we'll ever see a decent phone from Sprint offered on a SERO account ever again.

Eh, I wouldn't be so pessimistic. There are only 2 phones that don't work on SERO, and the most recent smartphones (HTC Snap and BB Tour) do work. Sprint probably paid big $$$ to get the exclusive launch of the Pre, so I'm not surprised that they restricted it only to their expensive plans. ATT does the same thing with the iPhone.

El Papa

Unless Sprint likes advertising new phones for it's competitors, that's where the Hero is going. There's a mini Hero site on Engadget that's "presented by Sprint". I posted the link in the Hero thread.

Great job on the thread Andrex.

*(Posted on my G1) :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
El Papa said:
Unless Sprint likes advertising new phones for it's competitors, that's where the Hero is going. There's a mini Hero site on Engadget that's "presented by Sprint". I posted the link in the Hero thread.

Great job on the thread Andrex.

*(Posted on my G1) :D

Didn't know that.
Shocked01.gif

And thanks~

* (Jealous) D:

sun-drop

that new sony phone is seriously making me wait from jumping into my 1st iphone ... if it's capacitive touch .. dam .... but how much.

any size stats in comparison to iphone avail for it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sun-drop said:
that new sony phone is seriously making me wait from jumping into my 1st iphone ... if it's capacitive touch .. dam .... but how much.

any size stats in comparison to iphone avail for it?

No, unfortunately. It also hasn't been officially announced yet, and may not even come out this year. When it does come out, it'll be really, re-ally pricey.

As for remote play, I don't know if it's there yet, but for media streaming SlingBox said they'll be launching an app for Android.

Skittleguy said:
Well, this trumps anything I was going to do.

Kudos to you, Andrex. Kudos.

You're still the Android guys as far as I'm concerned cause of your avy. ;)

Dougald

I never go for expensive phones as I tend to treat mine like dirt (just buy the cheapest and replace it when it inevitably breaks).

However, if I can get an android phone in the UK for a half decent price, I wouldn't mind checking it out. An open phone which I can code for has a certain attraction

sun-drop

ive got about 2 mths before my work's phone bonus rolls over again so i can wait a bit to see how things play out.

i mean a 3Gs 32Gb is NZ$1300 here ... yup .... if rachel ends up close to 2K ... yeh ..

might pay to get iphone, by the time the SE becomes affordable...android apps may have matured to a pretty good state.

only downer is games ...

Krelian

Your opening posts are seriously awesome, Andrex!

I'm also quite sure that Android will gain more importance soon, it seems all big phone manufacturers are making at least one Android phone. And it's always nice to see new announcements.

carlosp

Banned

Srs. i just got a new iPohne 3G from the states (thank you weak dollar :D ) and I also have an iphone 2G and i am willing to give both the get this baby. This is the sexiest phone i see in a looonnggg time. Any Rumors about the release date?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Krelian said:
Your opening posts are seriously awesome, Andrex!

I'm also quite sure that Android will gain more importance soon, it seems all big phone manufacturers are making at least one Android phone. And it's always nice to see new announcements.

Your compliments are more awesome. :D OK, I'm done ego-tripping. :p

sun-drop said:
only downer is games ...

Hey, I'm making a game for it!
Frown01.gif
... :p

Dougald said:
I never go for expensive phones as I tend to treat mine like dirt (just buy the cheapest and replace it when it inevitably breaks).

However, if I can get an android phone in the UK for a half decent price, I wouldn't mind checking it out. An open phone which I can code for has a certain attraction

The HTC Hero is free on T-Mobile UK and Orange with a contract. The Dream/G1 has also been free for a while.

Damn lucky UKers.
Frown01.gif

carlosp said:
Srs. i just got a new iPohne 3G from the states (thank you weak dollar :D ) and I also have an iphone 2G and i am willing to give both the get this baby. This is the sexiest phone i see in a looonnggg time. Any Rumors about the release date?

See the "lol"? Yeah, Sony-Ericsson has a history of vaporware-ish phones, as least from what I understand. I think a generous estimate would be, "Q1 2010".

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The Rachael will be mine, though it might have to wait until my current contract ends. :( Late as they might be with some device, SE have damnably fine quality control - they're good at making sure things actually work properly and fixing issues, unlike some phone manufacturers that I probably can't mention for legal reasons.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sony seem to have adopted Android into all their handheld devices as all the evidence points to successor to X-Series Walkman will be Android based & next generation PND (GPS) devices will also be Android based.

Version 2.0 of the software must be due soon then, as Sony mentioned this as one of the main reasons for them holding back on announcing new devices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iapetus said:
The Rachael will be mine, though it might have to wait until my current contract ends. :( Late as they might be with some device, SE have damnably fine quality control - they're good at making sure things actually work properly and fixing issues, unlike some phone manufacturers that I probably can't mention for legal reasons.

Was wondering when Sony-Ericsson fan numero uno would show up. :D

I'm sure the Rachael will be taking its sweet time, so no worries.

navanman said:
Sony seem to have adopted Android into all their handheld devices as all the evidence points to successor to X-Series Walkman will be Android based & next generation PND (GPS) devices will also be Android based.

Version 2.0 of the software must be due soon then, as Sony mentioned this as one of the main reasons for them holding back on announcing new devices.

In addition, 2.0 must be ratcheting up the media capabilities as S-E said that's why they were waiting.

Hopefully 2.0 will be able to go toe-to-toe with Sense and Rachael's UI, too.

SFA_AOK

iapetus said:

I was seriously impressed with my last SE phone, I went from a series of Nokia phones to the w810, (initially reluctant but came to love it, it worked so well. Next was Nokia 6120c and I won't be going back to Nokia for a while...

To the people in the UK, couple of tips if you're looking for a new phone - firstly, check out sites like quidco.co.uk, Vodafone will give you £90 cashback if you sign a new contract with them. Secondly, you may be able to negotiate a deal if you use a network's website to order a phone up until the point where you put your email/phone number in. Put your details in, go to the next screen and the close your browser. When I moved to 3 last time, I did this and was sent a £30 voucher for mobile phone accessories (I can't remember but I think I used a http tamperer extension to get the vouchers and the cashback...) So far from Vodafone I've only had an offer for half price line rental for 6 months, but still, savings to be had!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SFA_AOK said:
I was seriously impressed with my last SE phone, I went from a series of Nokia phones to the w810, (initially reluctant but came to love it, it worked so well. Next was Nokia 6120c and I won't be going back to Nokia for a while...

Nokia and SE have made the only phones I've really enjoyed using. Well, and HTC, of course. ;)

santouras said:
can't wait to get my samsung galaxy. September cannot come soon enough
It's out in Germany. I'm going to get one in a few weeks :)
It's sleeker & lighter than all the other andoird phones, has an amoled display, 8gb, better battery life and probably the best cam of all the android offering.
Here is a comparison video
However the ram limitation could turn out to be a problem (with some app at least) :(

iamblades

That motorola calgary looks like something out of star trek, and not in a good way.

The heron isn't too bad, though I'm leaning towards getting the HTC lancaster if AT&T doesnt crap up the interface too badly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iamblades said:
That motorola calgary looks like something out of star trek, and not in a good way.

The heron isn't too bad, though I'm leaning towards getting the HTC lancaster if AT&T doesnt crap up the interface too badly.

The new UI that AT&T requested will come from HTC themselves, so there's a good chance it'll get Sense.

However, QVGA... I don't know how functional the current version of Android would be on that, or many of its apps. Although, the platform has proven to be quite scalable, so who knows...

Batongen

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Wow... the Sony Ericsson Rachael looks rather incredibly hot hot hot.

I told you guys to wait for what SE had in the making ;). Also, it's pretty awesome and feels like quality all around. I'm not gonna tease you with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom