• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chojin

Andrex said:
So tell me about T-Mobile's "upgrade" stuff.

So I get a two-year contract, then near the end of it I get a new phone, or something? As I said before, I've been out of the phones market for a while (and in fact, never really got too into it.)

The two best discounts when buying consumer is the initial "reel em in phase" where you are a brand new, never been with T-Mobile customer and 22 months after a 24 month contract. So for instance, people are saying myTouch is 199 with 2 year contract means you'll get that discount at 199 if you're never been a customer before or you're an existing customer after 22 months from a 24 year contract. You can get a 1 year contract as well and after 11 months get a discounted upgrade as well.

You can get a discount prior to 22 or 11 months as well but it will be partial.

I know it sounds bell, but full retail. well... yeah. My only other suggestion is to obtain a phone via other means, sometimes through official distributors offering mail in rebates, or ebay, or whatever. Keep in mind you won't have warranty on stuff like ebay or buying from a friend, and you won't be eligible for insurance for loss or damage.

Also, depending on your credit class there's the EIP program, which extends some credit towards buying a phone and you pay it off in 4 months. New customers need good credit to take advantage of it but if you're a customer for 12 months you're guaranteed at least 200 dollars in credit to be paid monthly by your bill.

My own personal suggestion? If you're good about not losing phones and don't think you'll need the warranty. Get the phone from ebay, craigslist, or a friend for a reasonable price and get monthly service. But if you're looking for that cheaper phone, check the website for a 2 year contract, they'll really discount the G1, be prepaired to commit.

Wait, the i7500 Galaxy has 8GB of Read-Only Memory according to that chart in the OP! Is that a gaff?

Can't decide whether to wait for the Hero or Galaxy, they both do look like really good phones. On the one hand, the Galaxy has OLED, a better battery (according to specs), and it looks like I can get a 30% line discount on O2, because my cousin works for them. On the other hand, the Hero has more raw power, that UI that's getting really rave reviews, and if I stuck with Orange I wouldn't need to switch (not that it's a problem - already got a PAC code).

When are these phones out in the UK anyway? Orange say early July for the Hero, but it's now the 14th and the site still says "coming soon" with no talk of prices. T-Mobile doesn't say anything. O2 thinks the Galaxy is July/August. Why can't they just set a date?

SFA_AOK

3 updates coming this year for Android: http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=E1P1TPSX0ZQHUQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN

Tranced: I think the Hero was at some point due for release this week but doesn't look like that will happen! Check out the twitter feed for [url="http://twitter.com/TMobileOfficial"T Mobile UK[/url]:

We can confirm that the #HTC Hero will now be known as the T-Mobile #G2 Touch and yes it is planned for later this month!

The #G2Touch will be free from £40 per month on Flext with £225 of credit, 18 month contract.

So hopefully we'll see the Hero on at least one network before August hits. Galaxy AFAIK is next month - they've already launched it in Germany so hopefully it'll be early August rather than later.

Pulling in info from the Magic thread - disappointed to hear the Vodafone version has a lower spec. Need to know how the Hero ROMs run on the lower spec'd version!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't count on Flan being out this year. This is the first we've heard about it and we'd be lucky to get both Donut and Eclair. Not to mention pushing out three new updates in 5 months would be a big strain on both providers (to get the download to devices) and developers (as they'd need to target their app at all three, as rolling out firmware updates is usually slow.)

Chojin said:
The two best discounts when buying consumer is the initial "reel em in phase" where you are a brand new, never been with T-Mobile customer and 22 months after a 24 month contract. So for instance, people are saying myTouch is 199 with 2 year contract means you'll get that discount at 199 if you're never been a customer before or you're an existing customer after 22 months from a 24 year contract. You can get a 1 year contract as well and after 11 months get a discounted upgrade as well.

You can get a discount prior to 22 or 11 months as well but it will be partial.

I know it sounds bell, but full retail. well... yeah. My only other suggestion is to obtain a phone via other means, sometimes through official distributors offering mail in rebates, or ebay, or whatever. Keep in mind you won't have warranty on stuff like ebay or buying from a friend, and you won't be eligible for insurance for loss or damage.

Also, depending on your credit class there's the EIP program, which extends some credit towards buying a phone and you pay it off in 4 months. New customers need good credit to take advantage of it but if you're a customer for 12 months you're guaranteed at least 200 dollars in credit to be paid monthly by your bill.

My own personal suggestion? If you're good about not losing phones and don't think you'll need the warranty. Get the phone from ebay, craigslist, or a friend for a reasonable price and get monthly service. But if you're looking for that cheaper phone, check the website for a 2 year contract, they'll really discount the G1, be prepaired to commit.

Thanks for clearing all this up. So you'll always pay full retail even if you're a day before 22/11 months? Bummer.

SFA_AOK said:
Pulling in info from the Magic thread - disappointed to hear the Vodafone version has a lower spec. Need to know how the Hero ROMs run on the lower spec'd version!

Not well. The higher spec version, being the same internally as the Hero, has a few snags atm but runs smoothly for the most part. As I understand it, the lower spec version really struggles with it. But who knows, maybe some more optimization can be done for it.

Tranced Shadow said:
Wait, the i7500 Galaxy has 8GB of Read-Only Memory according to that chart in the OP! Is that a gaff?

Nope. In addition the first press releases touted that, when combined with the MicroSDHC slot, the potential for memory was 40 GB.

Tranced Shadow said:
When are these phones out in the UK anyway? Orange say early July for the Hero, but it's now the 14th and the site still says "coming soon" with no talk of prices. T-Mobile doesn't say anything. O2 thinks the Galaxy is July/August. Why can't they just set a date?

July has been the talk for both Orange and T-Mobile. Their aversion to sending out dates is definitely maddening.

SFA_AOK

Less enthusiastic about the (Vodafone) Magic now :( How have the reactions to it been? You're getting the mytouch aren't you Andrex? That's a rebranded Magic right?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Flan...Gelato?

And concerning the worries about the 32A (Rogers) vs 32B (Vodafone) Magics, its something that we can maybe address when the final Hero rom is pushed. There have been many optimizations made here and there, and enabling swap on your SD card makes it bearable (or so I've heard).

Mind you, this is just with the current Fatal1ty port. Once we can figure out how to get the MyTouch working good, then there will probably be an increase in development.

Chojin

Andrex said:
July has been the talk for both Orange and T-Mobile. Their aversion to sending out dates is definitely maddening.

As for "G2" and stuff. Well... all I can say is remember T-Mobile UK is NOT the same thing as T-Mobile USA.

What they do is independent from what we do.

Also, I can say that myTouch is "official" in the US August 3rd. Keep in mind from releases and announcements and how you don't want Tmo's official flagship phone from competing against its own products... well.... yeah.

But still, we're getting some yay stuff. I just want to clear things up. And yes, I'm aware it seems almost not even a sidestep from the G1 but even backward, but ::shrugs::

We're still going to release android stuff. Just... remember we're focusing on myTouch for the time being.

FreezeSSC

Well im up for a 2 year phone upgrade with t-mobile now is the mytouch 3g the best that it gets for this year or is there something else coming around?? just wondering if i just wait alittle or get the mytouch that comes out next month i think.

El Papa

Chojin said:
But still, we're getting some yay stuff. I just want to clear things up. And yes, I'm aware it seems almost not even a sidestep from the G1 but even backward, but ::shrugs::

We're still going to release android stuff. Just... remember we're focusing on myTouch for the time being.
Will the T-Mobile visual voicemail app be available for the G1 from the Market?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skittleguy said:
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Flan...Gelato?

And concerning the worries about the 32A (Rogers) vs 32B (Vodafone) Magics, its something that we can maybe address when the final Hero rom is pushed. There have been many optimizations made here and there, and enabling swap on your SD card makes it bearable (or so I've heard).

Mind you, this is just with the current Fatal1ty port. Once we can figure out how to get the MyTouch working good, then there will probably be an increase in development.

I heard that too, the SD swapping is an insteresting way to a possible solution.

SFA_AOK said:
Less enthusiastic about the (Vodafone) Magic now :( How have the reactions to it been? You're getting the mytouch aren't you Andrex? That's a rebranded Magic right?

I'm either getting the MyTouch, or if Google makes the Magic available as a developer's phone, I'll get that. Both will be the slower 32B version.

Or, and I haven't really decided yet, I could import the Rogers HTC Magic, which is the faster 32A version and works on AT&T's 3G.

It sucks Chojin and T-Mobile and Vodafone hate us all so much, though. :/

FreezeSSC said:
Well im up for a 2 year phone upgrade with t-mobile now is the mytouch 3g the best that it gets for this year or is there something else coming around?? just wondering if i just wait alittle or get the mytouch that comes out next month i think.

According to Chojin, if you can you should wait.

tokkun

FreezeSSC said:

I think the MyTouch is the best Android phone that will be available on T-M in the US this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a better phone announced, but not yet released before the year is out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
I think the MyTouch is the best Android phone that will be available on T-M in the US this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a better phone announced, but not yet released before the year is out.

T-Mobile said (publicly) they will release two Android phones this year, so whatever is next will likely hit during the Fall.

tokkun

Andrex said:
T-Mobile said (publicly) they will release two Android phones this year, so whatever is next will likely hit during the Fall.

My guess is that it will be a more low-end phone. Since T-Mobile seems to be investing a lot in the MyTouch and treating it as a signature product, I don't think they're going to put out any Android phone that trumps it for several months. But who knows - cell phone carrier exclusivity politics are pretty mystifying at times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
My guess is that it will be a more low-end phone. Since T-Mobile seems to be investing a lot in the MyTouch and treating it as a signature product, I don't think they're going to put out any Android phone that trumps it for several months. But who knows - cell phone carrier exclusivity politics are pretty mystifying at times.

Yeah, the green Bigfoot does look like a lower-end phone and putting a cheap Android phone out there will do a lot in helping the platform spread. Chojin has been saying their next Android phone will be a big step over the MyTouch though, so who knows?

My hope is that one day, the $50 pay-as-you-go phones in Wal*Mart and supermarkets will run Android. Obviously, some apps (GPS, graphics-intensive, or touch-screen-only apps) would not be compatible, but having them would be a huge, huge boon to Android's total marketshare and thus its viability for app developers.

Chojin

Andrex said:
It sucks Chojin and T-Mobile and Vodafone hate us all so much, though. :/

I don't hate you :(

Don't kill the messenger.

::Takes off the tie::

/T-mobile

You gotta look at this from a bird's eye view. T-mobile is not a phone manufacturer. They're a service company. Not only is it a service company they're also the youngest big faceless corporation in the business compared to the baby bells. What I'm trying to get at is that T-Mobile needed to work with what they have and go for it.

HTC unveiled the magic in february, Hero was unveiled officially in June. Lets forget for a moment that Tmo released the G1 in october of last year and SHOULD have at least come up with a followup sometime in March. Deal with HTC was most likely locked down during the Mobile World Conference, and then all of a sudden HTC pulls an upset in with the Hero. With that in mind Tmo had spent months prior to June getting the branding down with the Magic. I'm not saying we're getting the Hero, I'm not saying we are. Right now the focus is 110% on myTouch blowing down the doors.

In short, what I'm saying is that just because a manufacturer unveils a product doesn't mean its going to get shipped right out the door the next day. These things take a lot of time to get right, lots of dudes in suits having lattes and focus groups and markting and blah blah blah.

Look at it this way, we're all techies here, but like uh... (sorry if I"m biting more than I can chew) the Wii, we need to look at the broader perspective and getting as much Android into the consumers hands. The Magic might not be the most AMAZAZING phone evar, but its still a contender for great. It takes more than just specs, and the way we're delivering the experience and overall package is really quite awesome (I mean for holy crap's sake we're offering a 2 year warranty on it, that's unprecedented). From a techies view its not the most awesome thing ever, but in the hands of the regular consumer? This thing is sliced bread. Despite Engadget's scathing review of it (don't get me started on the iPhone bias) it's really going to perform well and be a leader for the Android platform in the US. And then when Android is a household name, that's when the big guns will come out.

I wasn't trying to keep your spirits down, its just it would be a shot in the foot to hype this thing so much and then all of a sudden release yet another device so soon (oh wait, remember when the iPhone did that? And to rub salt on the wounds release the iTouch, I mean sheesh). I'm not saying its going to be a dry spell till christmas, I'm just saying we're not going to release two devices to compete against each other so quickly.

And remember, I work for T-Mobile, which we have our own branding of phones. But android is an open platform and we don't have the monopoly on android based phones, there's lots of mobile device manufacturers out there ;) If you catch my drift ;) ;)

Anyway, the only real negative I have towards the phone is Tmo's decision to go with the 198 meg version. The only thing, and this is purely my own conjecture and not anything else, is that they locked down the deal so early after the success of the G1 and it was too late to get the 288 meg version.

Other than that, MAYBE, which this could be a total boner or a pure mad stroke of genius, was actually naming the thing "myTouch" I thought it sounded too close to iTouch, but maybe thats the gameplan all along @.@

::puts tie back on::

T-Mobile.

Anyway, I don't comment on any rumors or speculation ;)

Remember there's 4 quarters in a year. Summer is rarely a big month for hardware, everyone's on vacation. Now when school starts, or when the holidays come around. Thats when people are looser with their cash monies :D So just chew on that for a bit.

Chojin

Patriots7 said:
Sony Ericsson is announcing new products tomorrow.

Likely not the Rachel, but there is a small chance.

http://twitter.com/SonyEricssonNA

From what I understand SE is waiting for "donut" to come out before they unveil anything Android related.

As for that, who knows.... I know Adobe said flash 10 for WinMo and Android and Blackberry, so its reasonable to guess maybe then. But who knows. I mean people are just now getting used to Cupcake.

I love your guy's enthusiasm, but lets not lose our heads :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Revelations said:
Will any of those upcoming android phones have an OLED screen display?

AHT-i7500.png

I'll ask this here: How does T-Mobile's internet mix with a family plan?

The T-mobile website only shows a price of $40 per month for internet - is there a different rate with the family plan? If I wanted to add internet to the phones on my family plan would it be $40 per phone?

Chojin

HamPster PamPster said:
I'll ask this here: How does T-Mobile's internet mix with a family plan?

The T-mobile website only shows a price of $40 per month for internet - is there a different rate with the family plan? If I wanted to add internet to the phones on my family plan would it be $40 per phone?

That's funny cause I just learned data plans today :p

Data plans are by subscriber (phone) only. So you don't have a family data plan like you would messaging or myfaves or tmobile to tmobile calling or minutes.

So in other words, yeah you got a family plan of 4 phones and you want data plans for all, it would be 35 bucks per phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The good thing is T-Mobile's data plans are pretty cheap, doesn't get much better than $25, but this is offset by their 3G network being relatively small... I believe Sprint's might be cheaper though, and of course there's also the fabled SERO stuff.

gkryhewy

Can anyone recommend some good cases for the Magic/MyTouch? I see there's an invisibleshield.

Also, I take it the $24.99 data plan does not include any text messages? :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gkrykewy said:
Can anyone recommend some good cases for the Magic/MyTouch? I see there's an invisibleshield.

Hrm, well there's going to be a good assortment of snap-on cases and gel cases available for the MyTouch when it launches. Other than those, I don't know.

gkrykewy said:
Also, I take it the $24.99 data plan does not include any text messages? :/

The $24.99 plan includes I believe 500 text messages. The $34.99 plan has unlimited text messages.

Finance

Banned
i really hope the HTC Hero comes to AT&T or Sprint. my contract with AT&T ends next month and the Hero or the SE Rachel is all that I want from a phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
Slashgear posted a new Hero video today, mostly focused on the Sense home screens
http://www.slashgear.com/htc-hero-unboxing-video-and-sense-ui-overview-1649589/

I'm sold on the Sense UI, but the Hero still looks pretty chunky, and it's disappointing that they are still using the same CPU and RAM they had in last year's devices.

Definitely. I like some aspects of sense; the unified black+green color scheme, scenes, more home screen panes, indicator of which pane you're on, and the focus on widgets, however I don't like HTC splitting the difference between their widgets and the "normal" ones. All applications on Android should be created equal, remember. Of course, if you download a third-party widget and their name shows up as a category, then I'd be fine with it.

I hope the Android engineers are taking a good look at some of the "duh" features of Sense to incorporate into the next Android release.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...tphones-thou-shalt-have-no-other-app-store-b/

Engadget Mobile said:
no-app-stores-vzw.jpg

Verizon's getting very keen on entering the app store industry, but not without some rough decrees to its smartphone partners. According to GigaOm, VP Partner Management Ryan Hughes said in an interview Friday that its shop will house content from all the major platforms under one roof, with purchases being billed through the customer's Verizon account and not requiring a separate signup / credit card entry. Convenient for consumers, and devs are also being promised a more streamlined approval process and a "competitive" revenue-sharing program, but here's where things take a turn for the worse: according to Hughes, non-VZW app stores like BlackBerry App World or Windows Mobile Marketplace won't be bundled with the smartphones out of the box, meaning consumers will have to take the initiative to download those portals for themselves. An incredibly jerk move, and an extra burden on developers who'll be having to submit two approval applications if they want inclusion on Verizon's own store. Of course, that large subscriber base is the reason it can get away with it, but let's hope we hear some better justifications other than "because we can" when the full details are rolled out at the Verizon Developer Community Conference on July 28th.

Of course, the connotation is that any Android device it launches won't have the Market, either, especially with Android being open-source allowing them to cripple it as they see fit. As far as I know there isn't a Market .apk out there anywhere, either, so no Market for Verizon customers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

gkryhewy

Andrex said:
The $24.99 plan includes I believe 500 text messages. The $34.99 plan has unlimited text messages.

I was told specifically by T-mobile 611 (customer care) that the 24.99 plan does not include any text messages. I believe the original G1 24.99 plan did, but the new plans do not... which blows.

I would love to be wrong on this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So the Samsung Galaxy just went on sale in France. I really hope this handset does well for Samsung and Android, that trippy ad they released gave me hope it'll be successful in the mass-market.

Also Maximum PC has just published this article on the major platform players, and their conclusion is... Blackberry > iPhone > Android > WebOS > Symbian > WinMo

However, it was kind of a comparisons between hardware and not the platforms themselves... Their main complaint of the G1 was it was "unbearably sluggish at times".

Chojin

gkrykewy said:
I was told specifically by T-mobile 611 (customer care) that the 24.99 plan does not include any text messages. I believe the original G1 24.99 plan did, but the new plans do not... which blows.

I would love to be wrong on this.

You're not wrong, I can confirm this.

Also I can let you know there's 3 data plans. the 25 dollar unlimited data no texts, the 35 dollar unlimted data and no texts and ::drumroll:: the 15 dollar unlimited text no data.

The caveat about the 15 dollar one? You need to sign into gmail initially (can't be done from wifi) before you can even start the phone for the first time.

But you guys are savvy, and can figure out how after signing into gmail how the 15 dollar text plan can work for you.

The reason? Its obvious. Its an all in one phone, needs data, tired of people calling in asking why they can't access teh webs, and gee look, they didn't get a data plan. But most importantly, data is ice cream with cake, its our bread and butar, its money in the pocket. It's all about the benjies.

You'd freak though if you knew how much I paid for data for my G1. So I'll just keep quiet about it. But to be honest, I use the wifi 90 percent of the time. Mostly thats cause we don't have 3G in my area yet. But even so, I'm more likely to use Wifi.

Edit: oh if you REAALY REAALY don't want the data plan, then the only other solution is to sign the phone up as a Government account. Course, you have to work for the government. Happy Trails.

gkryhewy

Chojin, thanks for the info. I'm not sure what you mean with the $15 unlimited text/no data plan... I think I'd want the data; I was just hoping that a text plan would be bundled. I send/receive maybe 10-20 texts a month, and have been paying a la carte. Is there a loophole I'm missing? Perhaps I'm not savvy :lol

I know someone who might qualify for the government discount. What's the best way to pursue that?

I also thought from the launch press conference that the MyTouch came with a 2-year warranty, but it looks like they want 30 bucks extra for it. What's the deal?

EDIT: Allright, I ordered a MyTouch (black). The CSR offered me unlimited messaging for our family plan for $9.99/month into perpetuity, so that was a pretty deal. Knocked off the upgrade fee and shipping for the phone too. I also ordered an invisibleshield for it from ZAGG.com

I'm thinking of picking up an unlocked G1 off ebay. If I use my T-Mobile sim card, will the phone/text features work? I'm on a family plan w/ text no data.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Matthew Miller from ZDNet did a six-page article on "UI vs Features", comparing the iPhone 3GS, Nokia N97, Blackberry Storm, HTC Touch Pro2, Palm Pre, and the HTC Hero. His verdict? The Hero wins out in both, (unless you need a hard keyboard, in that case go Touch Pro2), due to the Sense UI, large existing app base, customizable homescreen, and Android itself. He may also have let slip it's coming to AT&T, but I doubt he has inside knowledge and is just musing on when he'll pick one up.

gkrykewy said:
EDIT: Allright, I ordered a MyTouch (black). The CSR offered me unlimited messaging for our family plan for $9.99/month into perpetuity, so that was a pretty deal. Knocked off the upgrade fee and shipping for the phone too. I also ordered an invisibleshield for it from ZAGG.com

Yay black! Tell me how it works out for you, I'm especially interested in your thoughts on the InvisibleShield. You should be getting it by the 3rd, right?

Andrex said:
The good thing is T-Mobile's data plans are pretty cheap, doesn't get much better than $25, but this is offset by their 3G network being relatively small... I believe Sprint's might be cheaper though, and of course there's also the fabled SERO stuff.
It's 30 bucks but it includes sprint tv and gps navigation(and iirc, many think sprint GPS is pretty good) and "unlimited" data. No unspoken 5GB cap yet.

Sero does not work on the new/hot smartphones like the Pre though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
titiklabingapat said:
It's 30 bucks but it includes sprint tv and gps navigation(and iirc, many think sprint GPS is pretty good) and "unlimited" data. No unspoken 5GB cap yet.

Sero does not work on the new/hot smartphones like the Pre though.

GPS is GPS, isn't it? The goodness depends on the phone's internals, or so I thought.

T-Mobile has a 5GB cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom