• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrex said:
But Chrome OS is the definition of limited. :lol Not a knock against it, but it is what it is. Android is a more capable OS.
I just want a Chrome browser. The stock browser sucks and so does Dolphin. When I try to enter a URL or search term in the address bar, it almost always stops me after a few characters and tries to google my partial url. It tries to do auto-complete and spell-check on my URLs too.

Are there any other browsers out there? Everyone on the comments for Dolphin says there are a "bunch of other browsers" out there that are better, but I haven't found any. I know there's Opera, but I've heard that's terrible on Android.

Edit: woops, thought this was the software thread. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kamakazie! said:
Android just seems a little too limited for use on more productivity based devices, I see it suffering from similar problems to that of the iPad.
Android's got everything it needs to support a perfectly capable productivity device, just needs more software support from third parties.

The only thing iPad suffers from is Apple resting on their laurels, playing it too safe catering to an existing audience.

Jayge

Entelligence outdoes itself this week.

When does it end? Either Google addresses the fragmentation issue immediately or it will find that Android suffers the same fate as Linux on the desktop.

rbe0dk.gif

Not ignoring the fact that fragmentation could turn into an issue but that comparison... :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only way I can rationalize all these cries of fragmentation killing Android is this: The people writing and saying these things don't know 1.5/1.6 apps can run just fine on 2.1 devices. That's the only way I can justify the stupidity.

If these people know this already and still say it, then they're biased against Android, plain and simple.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There is a little bit more to it than that though. Some of these people have bought 1.5/1.6 devices and want some of the 2.1 specific features. Though it is quite ironic the complaint coming from Engadget when their review of the Nexus One downplayed the significance of 2.1 features at the time. :lol

There's a war to sell here, that's the main driver. Apple vs. Google, Fight!

Edit: And I have yet to hear anyone explain how the fragmentation is any worse than, say, Windows.

Patriots7

As a Google fan, I really want to make the jump over from the iPhone to an Android (Xperia X10), but I do have to say, the reason I'm hesitant to jump in is the fragmentation (from the standpoint that the X10 runs 1.6 and who knows when it'll be updated. By that time would it be upgraded to whatever the current release is? Will it lack 2.1 features?)
I do have to say, I'm really wishing that Google followed Microsoft's approach with WinPho7. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google following Microsoft's WP7 model wouldn't guarantee anything. Heck the HD2 won't even run WP7, and that has yet to come out yet! (on T-Mo) Microsoft only said they'll have strict hardware requirements, as far as I know they've said nothing about forcing manufacturers to upgrade the OS.

And if Android did follow WP7 that would mean no fancy Xperia skin for you. Might as well get a Nexus One if you're concerned with updates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stuck in the iPhone mindset, AT&T locks down apps on their first Android phone

TechCrunch said:
Like the iPhone — but unlike any other Android handset we’ve seen — the Motorola Backflip can’t install applications from any sources beyond the official, on-handset application store.

device1-200x300.png

By default, all Android handsets are soft-limited to installing applications solely from Google’s Android Market. If a user tries to install an app through the browser with a brand new handset, they’ll get an error message telling them that they’ll need to flip a switch in the configuration screen before they can download from “Unknown Sources”. Alas, this switch is no where to be found on the Backflip.

Stupid. I have a feeling that eventually they'll come around to fully embracing Android but it probably won't be until at least a year from now, maybe more.

---​

HTC Supersonic Quickly Caught On Cam

Phandroid said:
With a 4.3-inch display and WiMax (4G) headed to Sprint, the Supersonic is definitely going to make quite a splash. It has the curvature we’ve come to expect from HTC Android devices and looks to go beyond just another solid offering – this could be another HTC superstar. Er, um… Supersonic.

Woot. I was doubting for a while if it was actually real or not.

---​

HTC Legend Review: Frankly, It Feels Expensive

Gizmodo said:
While the extra horsepower and added touches of the Nexus One and Desire are nice, I found the Legend more than satisfactory.

It wasn't sluggish, certainly didn't have bugs or issues like the G1 and Hero, and while it'll inevitably slow down and have you cursing the fact you didn't spring for something with a Snapdragon chip, I'm going to award it possibly the highest accolade a reviewer can gift a device: I'm going to upgrade to one.

It's not the best Android phone. That badge still belongs to the Nexus One, or possibly the Desire, when we review it. But it's one of the best all-rounders, when you consider the hardware—and the feeling you're left with once it leaves your hand. I feel bereft without it.

This completely surprised me. Definitely an excellent review to hype anybody here waiting for the Legend. :D

Jewbacca

Banned
Android ship will sink unless google learns to polish their damn mobile OS (and other products), it seems like they release really cool things then they get scatter brained as hell and just focus on the next big thing, its getting old for me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jewbacca said:
Android ship will sink unless google learns to polish their damn mobile OS (and other products), it seems like they release really cool things then they get scatter brained as hell and just focus on the next big thing, its getting old for me.

Quite simply, Android can not fail at this point, it's a near-impossibility. Even if Google never touched the source code again, far too many manufacturers (and carriers) are invested by this point. It's going to grow exponentially from here on out and there will be no stopping it.

Koshiba

My contract with Verizon is up and I'm thinking of heading to sprint once I find a new job since it seems to be one of the cheapest for the type of plan I need. But looks like I might want to wait a little anyway if I want to get a good android phone. I had been thinking of picking up the Palm Pre but after lurking this thread for a while, I am very intrigued by android. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Koshiba said:
My contract with Verizon is up and I'm thinking of heading to sprint once I find a new job since it seems to be one of the cheapest for the type of plan I need. But looks like I might want to wait a little anyway if I want to get a good android phone. I had been thinking of picking up the Palm Pre but after lurking this thread for a while, I am very intrigued by android. :)

:)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Koshiba said:

we got a live one!

Is it thrustful??have you bought from there? I might consider at that price, i need one for a vodafone card Portugal. Its GSM.

Very much so -- I imported my HD2 from them, and I live in the US. They even sent it overnight. Hiiiighly recommended.

Maxrunner

DrFunk said:
we got a live one!

Very much so -- I imported my HD2 from them, and I live in the US. They even sent it overnight. Hiiiighly recommended.

I assume that the VAT is only for orders in uk?

Zozz

Banned
My problem isn't with fragmentation it's with that market, someone needs to clean all the shit in that thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Koshiba said:

otoisx.jpg

These guys are calling to you!

Hawkian said:
otoisx.jpg

These guys are calling to you!

I want to buy these but it's something like $40 for a random one on ebay...and I think a few are quite ugly so it's not worth the risk.

I've read that the Eris may be dead in April, replaced by the Incredible...which essentially means the Devour replaced the Eris for the casual, undemanding Android user and the Incredible is just being added on. The Incredible seems like a great phone but I couldn't wait any longer and wanted a keyboard so Droid wins. Cool phone, Verizon coverage and call quality is unbelievable.

Is it confirmed that they'll be a Nexus release annually or is that speculation? It would be cool to have a Nexus Two in January that ends up looking like

XCIBl.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
DrFunk said:
Don't think so. Black Ice lives in the US too. I'm importing my Legend from Clove to, so FUCK YEAH

Yessir! No VAT here, and with shipping it comes out to $549, which is less than a Nexus One bought directly from Google.

I won't be getting 3G, but I don't need 3G, Majority of my time is spent in Wifi Areas (On campus, or at home) and when I'm out EDGE is fine for whatever I'd need to do.

I cannot wait :D

DrFunk

Black_Ice said:
Yessir! No VAT here, and with shipping it comes out to $549, which is less than a Nexus One bought directly from Google.

I won't be getting 3G, but I don't need 3G, Majority of my time is spent in Wifi Areas (On campus, or at home) and when I'm out EDGE is fine for whatever I'd need to do.

I cannot wait :D

*high five*

Bought my Legend for the same reasons. Clove's prices are insane -- thanks to the exchange rate.

Also: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/03/09/xperia-x10-unboxing/

X10 unboxing. It's cooooming..

DrFunk

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/09/leaked-dell-mini-5-flyer-shows-multitude-of-color-options-confi/

dell-slate-leaked-flyer.jpg

There's no denying that the Mini 5 is real, but up until now, we've had to provide all of our own promotional material. At long last, it seems as if the suits in Round Rock are finally getting around to crafting the first advertisements for the upcoming slate, and while we knew about the 5-inch WVGA (800 x 480) touchscreen, 5 megapixel camera with autofocus and flash, capacitive touch front buttons, front-facing VGA camera (for video chatting) and the 30-pin docking connector, we weren't aware of Dell's plans to reveal a slew of vivacious color options. If this here flyer proves legitimate, we could eventually see the Mini 5 available in an array of premium finishes and hues (thanks, Design Studio!), and we're hoping for a few different spec builds as well. So, are you opting for the pink, or are you crossing your fingers in hopes that Dell allows you to print that embarrassing shot of you and Mr. T on the rear of one?

this..this means it's coming, right? right?

Edit: Amazon partnership!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm such a sucker for candy apple red. I was sad the Hero didn't come out in that color liked the leaked video showed...

Edit- Is that a pic of your monitor? Why not just link the image?

Pachimari

Lol, I'm in a dilemma now.
I'm going to buy the iPhone 4 next month but a new store here in Denmark has the HTC Legend on offer for $415 tomorrow only. Is the phone worth it? What are your impressions of the phone?

EDIT: Crap, made the same mistake as the above poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom