• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Gizmodo: All US Android Phones Reprtedly Getting the Bump to 2.1
We recently heard that Android 2.1 was on its way to the Droid, but now sources tell AndroidandMe that all U.S. Android phones will be receiving Android 2.1 firmware in coming months, though some will require a wipe to upgrade.

As we've heard is the case with the Droid, some niceties like animated wallpapers probably won't make the jump, but if the updates come to fruition, increased text-to-speech support and enhanced widgets will likely come along with them. The price of getting up to date, Androidandme explains, might be wiping your phone clean. A bummer, but that's life.

Google has shown its awareness that fragmentation is a serious issue for Android, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them try to make things a little more even across the board. The G1 and MyTouch are supposedly candidates for the first wave of updates, so keep an eye out for confirmation in coming weeks.

Iknos

womp said:
01-21-10entphone.jpg

:lol That's awesome. I'd buy it in a nanosecond if only because I owned a Tour before my current Droid and the keyboard was glorious.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/21/entelligence-heres-what-i-want-in-my-next-phone/

2009-12-0619-02-53_0010.jpg

The HTC Salsa was something I was looking at for this reason.

Doesn't have SnapDragon and has a smallish screen and that's why I stopped considering it.

Totakeke

Well, it begins.

Phandroid said:
Apple Sues HTC for Patent Infringement
CUPERTINO, California—March 2, 2010—Apple® today filed a lawsuit against HTC for infringing on 20 Apple patents related to the iPhone’s user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The lawsuit was filed concurrently with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in U.S. District Court in Delaware.

“We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We’ve decided to do something about it,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”

Apple reinvented the mobile phone in 2007 with its revolutionary iPhone®, and did it again in 2008 with its pioneering App Store, which now offers more than 150,000 mobile applications in over 90 countries. Over 40 million iPhones have been sold worldwide.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.

http://phandroid.com/2010/03/02/apple-sues-htc-for-patent-infringement/

Anyone see that Apple are to sue HTC for 20 patent infringements? The amount of legal action and counter suits flying around the mobile sphere is incredible right now. The action doesn't specify exactly what the infringements are, so its difficult to know what difference this could potentially make to future HTC hardware. The story can be found over at Gizmodo.

EDIT: Beaten!

giga

It's most likely several multi touch and user interface patents from iPhone OS. Macworld 2007, Steve Jobs on the iPhone: "And boy have we patented it"

In the end though, HTC will countersue with their own patents and then they'll just settle. Bunch of hoopla.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd really like to see Apple try to sue Google. That would probably get really messy. :lol

giga

Andrex said:
I'd really like to see Apple try to sue Google. That would probably get really messy. :lol
No need to really when Google dumps however many million dollars or so every year at Cupertino's door steps each year for Google search in Safari and Google Maps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
giga said:
No need to really when Google dumps a however many million dollars or so every at Cupertino's door steps each year for Google search in Safari and Google Maps.

Yeah. I'd figured they'd go after Palm first from their comments, but they probably see HTC as a much bigger thread (sorry Palm.)

jonnybryce said:
Any more news on the Desire? Last I heard it's AT&T bound but is going to go through some changes.

It's a 3.7" screen, right?
It has pretty much exactly the same specs as the nexus one so yeah! Only minor differences are no noise cancellation, another 50 mb of RAM to handle sense and physical buttons with an optical keypad instead of touch keys with a trackball.

gcubed

OriginalThinking said:
It has pretty much exactly the same specs as the nexus one so yeah! Only minor differences are no noise cancellation, another 50 mb of RAM to handle sense and physical buttons with an optical keypad instead of touch keys with a trackball.

will it be branded Nexus One when google sells it and Desire when ATT sells it?

SimleuqiR

OriginalThinking said:

Also the Nexus has those little contact pins at the base for charging with it's dock. I don't think the Desire has those.

The AT&T Nexus will be sold through Google's site. The Desire will be an HTC phone on the AT&T network. This means that any updates to Android from Google will likely hit the Nexus One first and the Desire updates will be handle by HTC and AT&T.

SimleuqiR said:
Also the Nexus has those little contact pins at the base for charging with it's dock. I don't think the Desire has those.

The AT&T Nexus will be sold through Google's site. The Desire will be an HTC phone on the AT&T network. This means that any updates to Android from Google will likely hit the Nexus One first and the Desire updates will be handle by HTC and AT&T.
Oh and an FM radio. How did I forget that? If only 5 live wasn't on AM. I really hope we see DAB radio on mobiles/cells at some point. I'm aware there are limitations as it stands but if they could make it happen......

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:

yup, this is why i will be buying it through Google... that and i'm tired of being tied into a contract.

gcubed said:
yup, this is why i will be buying it through Google... that and i'm tired of being tied into a contract.

Hm. I wish the Nexus One didn't have a trackball, as with the newest offerings that seems kind of outdated, but I might go with that, through Google, too. I'll wait and see. Is there any word on when the AT&T Nexus One will be available?

You know, I hate the idea of contracts and I'm really glad at the progress that's being made against them, but the more I look at my buying habits, the more I question the end-game.

I get into gadget hype, and I'll probably change my device every 2-3 years. So... do I want to do that at $500 or at around $150? Yeah, contracts suck, but all the providers have drawbacks, so it's not like switching from one to another is that much of an advantage. Plus, I travel internationally a lot, so that kinda rules out Sprint and Verizon for me, boxing me in to T-Mobile and ATT.

So I should be getting an Android phone sometime this week. I've been leaning towards the Droid, but I just wanted to make sure that this is my best bet for a Android phone. Is the Droid still the best Android phone on the market right now, or should I look at some others?

I have Verizon BTW, and I'm not switching.

Blu_LED said:
So I should be getting an Android phone sometime this week. I've been leaning towards the Droid, but I just wanted to make sure that this is my best bet for a Android phone. Is the Droid still the best Android phone on the market right now, or should I look at some others?

The Droid is the current best Verizon Android phone. However, the Nexus One is coming to Verizon at the end of the month, and the Incredible is coming sometime thereafter. Both those phones are better than the Droid, if you don't need a hardware keyboard.

Paznos

I'm waiting to see if Verizon announces the Incredible later this month, either before CTIA or during, if I don't hear anything by then I'll go with the Nexus One.

mj1108

Bit-Bit said:
Why is Apple trying to ruin the mobile industry?

It's Apple's way of "innovating". Sue everyone that makes a better phone that way you don't have to push your own phone further.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DrFunk said:

I don't know about that. The Desire is a different handset.

Blu_LED said:

If you really want a keyboard, yes. If you can deal without one, the Verizon Nexus One is rumored to be out before the end of the month.

Fatalah

Hey Andrex, it's been such a slow news week so far. Give me your thoughts on the HTC Incredible and predict its release date -- GO!

PS - I always thought your avatar was a boy carrying bread.

FrenchBreadBaguette_ful.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fatalah said:
Hey Andrex, it's been such a slow news week so far. Give me your thoughts on the HTC Incredible and predict its release date -- GO!

It's been busy for me! :lol I keep forgetting about the Incredible TBH.

CTIA is a likely candidate for announcement (you can never really know about release.) It looks like a great handset but the back is a little funky... Should be another powerhouse phone for Verizon that they can market/brand (unlike the Nexus One, which is almost completely in Google's control.)

Edit- :lol Nah. Just his skinny white boy arm.

Fatalah

Andrex said:
It's been busy for me! :lol I keep forgetting about the Incredible TBH.

CTIA is a likely candidate for announcement (you can never really know about release.) It looks like a great handset but the back is a little funky... Should be another powerhouse phone for Verizon that they can market/brand (unlike the Nexus One, which is almost completely in Google's control.)

Edit- :lol Nah. Just his skinny white boy arm.

You know, the back doesn't bother me at all. It adds character to the phone, I'm open to being different. Unlike some people, going gaga over the HD2 left and right. (It's a behemoth, I just don't like it)

So if the Incredible is pitted up against the Nexus One, like most people, I'm torn. I do like the idea of having a Google Experience phone, but I've also become a fan of the Sense UI. (From reviews)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
You'll be able to get Sense UI running on the N1... the crazy people at xda already have it running based on an early pre-release Desire ROM. It should run very well once a final Desire ROM can be had since the hardware is nearly identical.

HTC Desire is the dream phone for me. I'm going to own it. I just watched some videos that I missed when they unveiled it along with the Legend...while I wanted my next phone to have a screen that breaks four inches, the 3.7 is good enough. Windows 7 is too far to wait on, and iPhone is teh suck...but I do like AT&T now that I have a better discount applied to my account.

I did like some aspects of the 2.0 Sense UI from before, though, such as the new dock being rectangular. I didn't like the app bubbles, but I do wish they'd bring the new, refreshed and clean dock back.

I'll be selling my Sprint HTC Hero on eBay tomorrow if anyone's interested here first, send me a PM. The transaction will still be held through eBay, but it'll be buy-it-now and I'll send you the link the second I put it up. I've sold a PSP and games to a Gaffer before and have 100% feedback.

tokkun

jonnybryce said:
HTC Desire is the dream phone for me. I'm going to own it. I just watched some videos that I missed when they unveiled it along with the Legend...while I wanted my next phone to have a screen that breaks four inches, the 3.7 is good enough. Windows 7 is too far to wait on, and iPhone is teh suck...but I do like AT&T now that I have a better discount applied to my account.

I did like some aspects of the 2.0 Sense UI from before, though, such as the new dock being rectangular. I didn't like the app bubbles, but I do wish they'd bring the new, refreshed and clean dock back.

I'll be selling my Sprint HTC Hero on eBay tomorrow if anyone's interested here first, send me a PM. The transaction will still be held through eBay, but it'll be buy-it-now and I'll send you the link the second I put it up. I've sold a PSP and games to a Gaffer before and have 100% feedback.

If you want a Desire with 4+" screen and are already on Sprint, why not wait for the rumored Supersonic?

tokkun said:
If you want a Desire with 4+" screen and are already on Sprint, why not wait for the rumored Supersonic?

Probably cos it's just that - a rumour. Even if it is confirmed I'd think there will be a sensible gap in release between the Desire, which will be the HTC flagship Android handset and the Supersonic which would likely be the next. No sense in providing too much competition for themselves. No pun intended :D

tokkun said:

I'm on AT&T. My cellphone history is all over the place, but basically Sprint added a fee onto my account and my brother got an even better discount available for AT&T, so it only made sense.

I've ruled out all the other major OSes for one reason or another, and since I'm staying on AT&T, that leaves Desire and Nexus One...unless Motorola, LG or Samsung announce or release a phone even more tempting for AT&T. Android seemed to slow down a bit from a new phone being leaked every two days, so I'm pretty sure it'll be Desire, only ruled out if AT&T destroys it just as much as they've bloated and destroyed the Moto Backflip.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I just picked up a Tmobile Mytouch (latest model) today and I freaking love it. It's charging right now so I haven't had a chance to mess around with it too much, but a friend of mine has it and I've fiddled around with her phone enough to know this is going to be excellent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
wenis said:
I just picked up a Tmobile Mytouch (latest model) today and I freaking love it. It's charging right now so I haven't had a chance to mess around with it too much, but a friend of mine has it and I've fiddled around with her phone enough to know this is going to be excellent.

Glad you're enjoying it. The MyTouch 1.2 (is that what they call it?) is probably what should've been released in the first place, but better late then never right? :lol Does your friend have an OG model?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK first they gave them to Google employees. Then they announced they're giving them to everyone who goes to GDC. Now they're sending Nexus Ones (and Droids) to top Android developers. :lol They might as well just price these babies at $200 unlocked if they're willing to give them away like this. :lol

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/02/google-handing-out-free-nexus-ones-and-droids-to-top-android-devs/

TechCrunch said:
Google has just sent out an Email to select Android developers informing them that they are eligible to receive either a Verizon Droid or a Nexus One, as part of its ‘Device Seeding Program’. The criteria for getting one of the phones is to have an application with 3.5 stars or higher and more than 5,000 downloads, which sounds like it could include quite a few developers.

In an odd move, Google isn’t actually allowing the developers to pick which device they’re receiving — if you’re in the US, you’ll get a Droid or Nexus One, at random. If you’re in Canada, the EU, Norway, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Singapore, you get a Nexus One. If you’re not in any of those, you don’t get a phone at all (Google explains that the phones aren’t certified in other countries).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
AT&T is gonna put Yahoo search on their Desire, along with a shitload of AT&T shitware, no doubt about it. Shame, really.

Those with any type of know-how will probably be able to put a Cooked ROM on the thing from XDA once its rooted and put Google back on and take out the Bloatware, but that's not a majority of the users.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems the NotionInk Adam has Android 2.1 right now, and possibly Flash:

What is the status of Adobe Flash in Adam? I was of idea it works fine, even for HD movies, until I found an official Adobe memo that Flash 10.1 will be ready for Android 2.x only in Q2 2010.

Adam is right now Android 2.1, and will get quick updates as Android evolves, so it is already 2.x, simply put, it has Flash.

If it's stock Android 2.1, and if it has the Market.... droool...

jonnybryce said:
I'm on AT&T. My cellphone history is all over the place, but basically Sprint added a fee onto my account and my brother got an even better discount available for AT&T, so it only made sense.

I've ruled out all the other major OSes for one reason or another, and since I'm staying on AT&T, that leaves Desire and Nexus One...unless Motorola, LG or Samsung announce or release a phone even more tempting for AT&T. Android seemed to slow down a bit from a new phone being leaked every two days, so I'm pretty sure it'll be Desire, only ruled out if AT&T destroys it just as much as they've bloated and destroyed the Moto Backflip.

Supersonic is WiMax capable though. so if that's available in your area it shouldn't even be a debate

Black_Ice said:
AT&T is gonna put Yahoo search on their Desire, along with a shitload of AT&T shitware, no doubt about it. Shame, really.

Those with any type of know-how will probably be able to put a Cooked ROM on the thing from XDA once its rooted and put Google back on and take out the Bloatware, but that's not a majority of the users.

Hopefully AT&T will respond to the backlash by leaving higher-end phones with Google apps and search.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=5587

AT&T wouldn't comment if its future Android devices will also include Yahoo search in favor of Google Search.

Maybe there's hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom