• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

yahoo is quite possibly the shittiest thing to use. I mean, use Bing for a slap in the face, at least it's useful. And if the Desire has all the ATT shit on it, that will be the breaking point where i jump off of ATT to Verizon for an Android phone

DrFunk said:
why would ATT put yahoo services on an android phone
Who knows? I was fixing a family member's computer last night and opened up IE. It apparently had just upgraded to IE 8 and wanted me to set some settings. It decided that Google should be the default search engine. Really, MS? Google?? :lol

SimleuqiR

DrFunk said:
why would ATT put yahoo services on an android phone

Someone said that they had signed a contract. I guess Yahoo is paying AT&T to install/use Yahoo as the default search provider.

Mobile users are the future, Yahoo and Bing want to make sure Google doesn't control all mobile search queries.

I assume that the Android version on these AT&T phones will not be "with Google" and if you are a heavy Google user you should stay away from them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SimleuqiR said:
Someone said that they had signed a contract. I guess Yahoo is paying AT&T to install/use Yahoo as the default search provider.

Mobile users are the future, Yahoo and Bing want to make sure Google doesn't control all mobile search queries.

I assume that the Android version on these AT&T phones will not be "with Google" and if you are a heavy Google user you should stay away from them.

As long as they all have the Android Market and not some AT&T crapware store, I don't really have a problem with what they're doing. It highlights the openness of Android. Don't like Yahoo? Complain and maybe AT&T will change it, or vote with your dollar and switch providers.

Andrex said:
As long as they all have the Android Market and not some AT&T crapware store, I don't really have a problem with what they're doing. It highlights the openness of Android. Don't like Yahoo? Complain and maybe AT&T will change it, or vote with your dollar and switch providers.

If they make Yahoo the default, can't I still change it to google when I get the phone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We're all waiting on the 2010 thread. :(

prodystopian said:
If they make Yahoo the default, can't I still change it to google when I get the phone?

You could probably root it/get Google's apps illicitly from somewhere. It is strange Google's apps aren't actually on the Market, they'll probably change that soon.

Andrex said:

You could probably root it/get Google's apps illicitly from somewhere. It is strange Google's apps aren't actually on the Market, they'll probably change that soon.

I guess we'll just have to see when it releases.

*waits impatiently*

Andrex said:

Has the thread already been created and not published? If it hasn't been created i can help out with some words if required.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OriginalThinking said:
Has the thread already been created and not published? If it hasn't been created i can help out with some words if required.

?

I still have a bunch of cards to whip up for the various devices. Words isn't what's necessarily holding it back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OriginalThinking said:
What is holding it back then? Mod approval? Or something else?

Time constraint from making the required templates and filling them in with info.

SimleuqiR

HTC Incredible:

incredible2-550x412.jpg

Rumored launch date: March 23rd, but the source who posted the new pictures says that may have slipped to May.

Other "insiders" claim the Incredible shares the same touchscreen as the Desire and Nexus One, which, as you may have heard, suffers from poor multi-touch accuracy. Apparently, Verizon may delay the Incrdible and the Nexus One launch until HTC fixes the issue.

Andrex said:
Is that your speculation or the insiders?

Insider's speculation. They claim it was slated for this month, but the bad press surrounding the touchscreen sensor HTC currently uses on all their phones may be the reason it gets delayed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vyse The Legend said:
Insider's speculation. They claim it was slated for this month, but the bad press surrounding the touchscreen sensor HTC currently uses on all their phones may be the reason it gets delayed.

If the Verizon Nexus has a fixed touch screen and fixed 3G it could really be a home-run. :lol

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:

i'd actually be glad to wait if they did this

Andrex said:
If the Verizon Nexus has a fixed touch screen and fixed 3G it could really be a home-run. :lol

that would also mean, by extenstion, ATTs upcoming would be fixed correct? correct? please? The only way i can get a nexus one is if the wife gets an iphone, so i'm stuck with att

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
SimleuqiR said:
Not sure if you laughing at my comment or at the futile attempts from Yahoo and Microsoft to complete with Google. :lol

But like I said, Mobile is the future, at least that's what Google believes:

No, I agree with your comment, I just lol at their futile attempts. :lol The gap is far too huge, by the time Yahoo gets where it wants to Google (and Android) will have expanded considerably. Everyone knows that.

I would really love the HTC LEgend if it had a bigger screen :(

But now I'll just get the Desire :)

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:

Well, I demand a recall if they can't fix it via software batch [shakes fist in the air].

Tk0n

Maxrunner said:
Nexus one 700€ only in Europe......Motorola Droid(Milestone)....469€.......unbelievable.

you can get an brandnew imported nexus one for abit more than 500€ on ebay and a brandnew milestone from online shops for under 400€.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gcubed said:
that would also mean, by extenstion, ATTs upcoming would be fixed correct? correct? please? The only way i can get a nexus one is if the wife gets an iphone, so i'm stuck with att

The AT&T one was always supposed to come after the Verizon version so probably.

Vyse The Legend said:
HTC Incredible:

[IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/FallenOne666/incredible2-550x412.jpg[/IMG]

Rumored launch date: March 23rd, but the source who posted the new pictures says that may have slipped to May.

Other "insiders" claim the Incredible shares the same touchscreen as the Desire and Nexus One, which, as you may have heard, suffers from poor multi-touch accuracy. Apparently, Verizon may delay the Incrdible and the Nexus One launch until HTC fixes the issue.

Wow, the power of the internet.

It's confusing, some users say they don't have any issue and make it out to seem no one would realize the issue if it weren't for an app showing it so clearly. Youtube videos of multitouch gestures on the Nexus One seem smooth and accurate, so I wonder if this is a true issue or just geek controversy. I get that it would be highlighted in a multitouch game, like something from Gameloft, but even then most games have the controls in both corners...the probability of running into that problem, real world, seems pretty slim.

It's inexcusable for a flagship device, but seems to me like it's made out to be worse than it is.

Maxrunner

Tk0n said:
you can get an brandnew imported nexus one for abit more than 500€ on ebay and a brandnew milestone from online shops for under 400€.

the milestone one is interesting....expansys is asking for the price i refered....but where can i get it for under 400€?any good store?

Pimpwerx

kaching said:
The real question is whether we get a 2010 Android hardware thread before the Adam launches ;)

It doesn't need to be perfect
Yeah *shifts eyes to Andrex* someone's dragging ass a little on that thread. :p

Come on, Andrex. Even an incomplete thread has to be better than nothing. I haven't looked at the OP of this thread in months. PEACE.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kaching said:
The real question is whether we get a 2010 Android hardware thread before the Adam launches ;)

It doesn't need to be perfect

Nothing I do is perfect anyways so no worries there. :p

gcubed

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm either going to buy this or a Courier.

i need a lot more info about the courier, i'm really glad to see the adam coming together. Will be interested in seeing their UI implementation on top of Android

giga

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm either going to buy this or a Courier.
Courier won't ship before 2011 at the earliest. The Notion Ink guys actually have hardware and software demonstrated. All we have are concepts about the Courier--so I don't expect it anytime soon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gcubed said:
i need a lot more info about the courier, i'm really glad to see the adam coming together. Will be interested in seeing their UI implementation on top of Android

Honestly I'd be fine with stock 2.1 (hope it's an option, or the thing gets rooted and a good ROM community), but I think Google should fork a special large-screen version of Android. It would have better support for icons on the homescreens, and the status bar would be expanded to show the currently running apps (long press to bring up a menu to close them, etc.) Also should have support for running apps in cascading windows.

Vyse The Legend said:

Not going to happen. Dunno who this insider is, but i highly doubt that this touch screen issue is going to change anything. Given the tiny level of internet 'fury' and the fact that the Desire is launching at the end of this month it would be too late and too expensive to halt manufacturing for the sake of something which isn't exactly a deal breaker for the vast majority of mr and mrs phone users.

Andrex said:
Honestly I'd be fine with stock 2.1 (hope it's an option, or the thing gets rooted and a good ROM community), but I think Google should fork a special large-screen version of Android. It would have better support for icons on the homescreens, and the status bar would be expanded to show the currently running apps (long press to bring up a menu to close them, etc.) Also should have support for running apps in cascading windows.

Personally I am hoping for a Chrome OS release that supports ARM processors and is highly touch friendly. Something like that would be perfect for tablets as well as netbooks / smartbooks.
Android just seems a little too limited for use on more productivity based devices, I see it suffering from similar problems to that of the iPad.
A touch friendly Chrome would really have no competition until MS or the Linux community came up with a viable alternative.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kamakazie! said:
Personally I am hoping for a Chrome OS release that supports ARM processors and is highly touch friendly. Something like that would be perfect for tablets as well as netbooks / smartbooks.
Android just seems a little too limited for use on more productivity based devices, I see it suffering from similar problems to that of the iPad.
A touch friendly Chrome would really have no competition until MS or the Linux community came up with a viable alternative.

But Chrome OS is the definition of limited. :lol Not a knock against it, but it is what it is. Android is a more capable OS.

Pimpwerx

I put 2.1 on my Sprint Hero via Gumbo's rom. This is FAST. Faster than the Modaco rom I was running before, which was faster than the stock install. Only problem is, where the hell are the animated bgs? PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, no camera support, but it seems everything else does. I read there's some issue with marketplace listings too. But I don't use my camera enough to sacrifice this speed boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom