• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Does leaving WIFI on deplete battery faster than if you only turn it on when you need it?
It takes some power if it's on and not connected. I shut mine off when I'm away from home but I don't think it's a huge deal.
If you can be connected to WiFi, even if you won't be using the phone, leave it on as it uses much less than the cell network connection.

Donos

Does leaving WIFI on deplete battery faster than if you only turn it on when you need it?

when i'm on my home lan and i lock the phone, wifi goes off. If i unlock it it goes on again. I think it drains the battery faster if you are outside and it's always searching/trying to connect to available hotspots.

tokkun

I would tend to think so. The WiFi protocol is designed in such a way that it uses almost as much power when it is idle as it does when it is transmitting. WiFi wasn't really invented with low power in mind.

Husker86

when i'm on my home lan and i lock the phone, wifi goes off. If i unlock it it goes on again. I think it drains the battery faster if you are outside and it's always searching/trying to connect to available hotspots.

You should have it always stay connected to save battery.

Cipherr

Nothing in particular. A generational leap somehow, I guess. The One X is just a more beefed-up phone. It's nice, but I'm not floored like so many seem to be. I think it represents more of HTC being back in the game.

Nothing particular, and a generational leap? No offense, but.... thats more than vague. The phone has a better screen than anything out there, its going to bench faster than most anything out there (The Snap version). The design is magnificent although that part is subjective, but technically, the rest isnt really subjective, numbers wise its clearly better than most other things out there.

What exactly constitutes a generational leap that doesn't qualify as "beefed up"... I mean, unless its specifically more megapixels on the camera, and you feeling the design isnt good looking, I have to agree with the others, where is your 'bar' for this generational leap.

from the various different websites and Youtube videos i've looked at the only Benchmark the Tegra 3 beat Krait in is AnTuTu. BrowserMark, Linpack, Quadrant, GL Bench, etc all went Krait. Smartbench was a split, Tegra had a higher Productivity score and Krait had a higher Gaming score.

What Im wondering is where the new Samsung chip is going to come in. If the next one is even faster than Krait then where does that leave Nvidia? Lol.

JWong

Banned
Nothing particular, and a generational leap? No offense, but.... thats more than vague. The phone has a better screen than anything out there, its going to bench faster than most anything out there (The Snap version). The design is magnificent although that part is subjective, but technically, the rest isnt really subjective, numbers wise its clearly better than most other things out there.

What exactly constitutes a generational leap that doesn't qualify as "beefed up"... I mean, unless its specifically more megapixels on the camera, and you feeling the design isnt good looking, I have to agree with the others, where is your 'bar' for this generational leap.

It will depend on the owner's previous phone. And maybe we're all tired of iPhone's minor upgrade for $700-800.

The big differences are the OS upgrades.

Cipherr

It will depend on the owner's previous phone.

I thought of that before I replied, but it still doesnt add up for me. If his phone is a Nexus, when did that release? And when did the One X release? Now how many months are in between those two. Which brings me to my next point

And maybe we're all tired of iPhone's minor upgrade for $700-800.

The iPhone updates once a year, Not once every 4 months. The Nexus just came out a few months ago, not a year ago, so a smaller jump in processing power and specs should be expected than waiting a year. HTC's last big phone release was the Rezound back in October. Thats a little over 6 months. This looks like a nice increase from there.

The big differences are the OS upgrades.

If its the OS then I still dont get it, Ive read and watched all the reviews for the One X, on the OS side everyone loves it, and calls it a massive upgrade from previous bogged down versions of Sense, and its an ICS build. Im not seeing how the One X from both a technical view, and a OS view isnt in line with what we have come to expect from phone releases.

Its easily as much a 'generational leap' that the S2 to the Galaxy Nexus was. Easily.. I could see wanting to wait on the S3, dont get me wrong, Im not going to buy the X, I think
know
Samsung will do better, I just don't get the criticism that the X isn't impressive, or somehow fails to meet the expectation of a 2012 flagship. The praise its getting seems very justified, even if for the screen tech seemingly leapfrogging AMOLED out of freaking nowhere.

JWong

Banned
I thought of that before I replied, but it still doesnt add up for me. If his phone is a Nexus, when did that release? And when did the One X release? Now how many months are in between those two. Which brings me to my next point

The iPhone updates once a year, Not once every 4 months. The Nexus just came out a few months ago, not a year ago, so a smaller jump in processing power and specs should be expected than waiting a year. HTC's last big phone release was the Rezound back in October. Thats a little over 6 months. This looks like a nice increase from there.

If its the OS then I still dont get it, Ive read and watched all the reviews for the One X, on the OS side everyone loves it, and calls it a massive upgrade from previous bogged down versions of Sense, and its an ICS build. Im not seeing how the One X from both a technical view, and a OS view isnt in line with what we have come to expect from phone releases.

Its easily as much a 'generational leap' that the S2 to the Galaxy Nexus was. Easily.. I could see wanting to wait on the S3, dont get me wrong, Im not going to buy the X, I think
know
Samsung will do better, I just don't get the criticism that the X isn't impressive, or somehow fails to meet the expectation of a 2012 flagship. The praise its getting seems very justified, even if for the screen tech seemingly leapfrogging AMOLED out of freaking nowhere.

I forgot to mention that I think it is a generational leap.
9Ks5t.png

Dual Core -> Quad Core is enough for me.

giga

from the various different websites and Youtube videos i've looked at the only Benchmark the Tegra 3 beat Krait in is AnTuTu. BrowserMark, Linpack, Quadrant, GL Bench, etc all went Krait. Smartbench was a split, Tegra had a higher Productivity score and Krait had a higher Gaming score.
44441.png

I wouldn't be sure about benchmarks based on browsers yet, because software plays just as an important role as hardware there.

ZZMitch

So I haven't been keeping up on Android news lately, but one of my friends who owns a Galaxy SII (which I have as well) told me that they would be getting an Ice Cream Sandwich update soon. Do you guys have any info on that?

This is on Bell in Canada by the way.

Lesiroth

So I haven't been keeping up on Android news lately, but one of my friends who owns a Galaxy SII (which I have as well) told me that they would be getting an Ice Cream Sandwich update soon. Do you guys have any info on that?

This is on Bell in Canada by the way.

It's already out on the international versions, not sure about Canada.

tino

Banned
yeah, i'm excited because it seems HTC is back...

also i find it humorous that this is the first time that the "step back to support LTE" actually may result in a better phone (The snapdragon S4 vs the Tegra 3). Have there been any vs benchmarks?
If HTC think Snapdragon S4 is better than Tegra3 they would have used S4 for the international version as well.

Lesiroth

If HTC think Snapdragon S4 is better than Tegra3 they would have used S4 for the international version as well.

Even if it's actually faster/more power efficient, the draw of calling your phone the first quad-core phone and the marketing opportunities that presents is just too much to miss out on.

elseanio

Yay it's here! Overall I'm really impressed with it. The screen is fantastic. The back/home/menu buttons can sometimes be a little unresponsive, but I'm hoping it's something I will get the knack of with more use. Had a quick go of the camera/video, but will test that fully outdoors in the sunlight.

I really miss the dedicated search button from my HTC Incredible S though..

MarkusRJR

GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

Okay, so I was planning on buying a Samsung Galaxy Note in May (as I get paid on the first day of every month) but my current blackberry went out the window... literally. A friend pushed me when we were on the highway (I was in the back seat and all out windows were open) and my phone flew out the window. We turned around to get it, but someone must've run over it because it was in pieces.

As I need a phone on a near daily basis I switched over to my old blackberry (the original pearl). It can do texts and email only (the device has contant memory leaks for anyone who hasn't used one before, so apps aren't really possible) and the microphone is busted so I can't do calls. I can only use this piece of shit for so long, so I'm going to upgrade to a new phone ASAP. It can't be a high end phone because I can't afford one until next pay check.

Here's where I'm planning on buying it from (I don't know many other places to buy unlocked phones via paypal). I need's to have 850/1900 or it won't work. I don't really care what OS it runs as long as it's stable and relatively speedy. It needs to be under or around $400 (without shipping). If I have to I'd be willing to go up to $500, because this phone needs to last me until the end of the year.

I don't really know what are some good budget phones (as I was a blackberry user for so long and didn't stray much), but a few noticeable stand-outs to me were the HTC Surround (only $200) and HTC HD7S ($300). The only reason for those two is that I remember hearing that Windows Phone 7 hasn't really updated their specs since launch that much, so the old phones are still speedy.

If anyone knows any other good places to find unlocked budget/midrange smartphones that take paypal, that would be nice. They have to ship to Canada too. All I can think of off the top of my head is Newegg.ca.

TLDR: My phone broke and I need a cheap unlocked smartphone from an online store that ships to Canada. It has to be from somewhere that takes paypal. I don't care what OS it runs, but it must be stable and relatively speedy. It must have 850/1900 bands and it must be less than $500.

EDIT: Just found noticed you can buy an unlocked Sony Xperia Play on amazon. Are they any good?

Varna

Just picked up my Galaxy S II.

I really like this phone (coming from iphone 3GS)... but holy shit the the music quality bad. It sounds like one of those awful virtual surround setups. I don't have the 5.1 audio enabled... is there anything I can do to get just nice stereo sound?

EDIT: LOL that was dumb. For some reason it took a lot of force to get the headphone jack all the way in.

Blackhead

Redarse
GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

Okay, so I was planning on buying a Samsung Galaxy Note in May (as I get paid on the first day of every month) but my current blackberry went out the window... literally. A friend pushed me when we were on the highway (I was in the back seat and all out windows were open) and my phone flew out the window. We turned around to get it, but someone must've run over it because it was in pieces.

As I need a phone on a near daily basis I switched over to my old blackberry (the original pearl). It can do texts and email only (the device has contant memory leaks for anyone who hasn't used one before, so apps aren't really possible) and the microphone is busted so I can't do calls. I can only use this piece of shit for so long, so I'm going to upgrade to a new phone ASAP. It can't be a high end phone because I can't afford one until next pay check.

Here's where I'm planning on buying it from (I don't know many other places to buy unlocked phones via paypal). I need's to have 850/1900 or it won't work. I don't really care what OS it runs as long as it's stable and relatively speedy. It needs to be under or around $400 (without shipping). If I have to I'd be willing to go up to $500, because this phone needs to last me until the end of the year.

I don't really know what are some good budget phones (as I was a blackberry user for so long and didn't stray much), but a few noticeable stand-outs to me were the HTC Surround (only $200) and HTC HD7S ($300). The only reason for those two is that I remember hearing that Windows Phone 7 hasn't really updated their specs since launch that much, so the old phones are still speedy.

If anyone knows any other good places to find unlocked budget/midrange smartphones that take paypal, that would be nice. They have to ship to Canada too. All I can think of off the top of my head is Newegg.ca.

TLDR: My phone broke and I need a cheap unlocked smartphone from an online store that ships to Canada. It has to be from somewhere that takes paypal. I don't care what OS it runs, but it must be stable and relatively speedy. It must have 850/1900 bands and it must be less than $500.

EDIT: Just found noticed you can buy an unlocked Sony Xperia Play on amazon. Are they any good?

Does it have to be new? Are you located in a rural uninhabited part of Canada? Check craigslist (or kijiji?) and you can find Galaxy Nexus for about $450.

mkenyon

Banned
Here's the situation:

Wife broke her back (all is well now though, been a week, she's at home) which means my computer usage has been all but taken away. In addition, I have the go-ahead to get a business line so I can work out of my home while watching over her for the most part. Have a G2X now, and my go-to couch browsing device has been my Transformer Prime. However, wife is basically the owner of the Prime now.

I got used to a speedy tablet, though I found it was a bit too large most of the time, especially when it comes to doing something like trying to post on GAF. I actually prefer typing on my G2X over it but G2X is too small for browsing. Though the business will cover the monthly cell bill, I will need to pay for the phone myself.

I am drooling over the Note super hard, as it seems to fulfill all of the functions I'm talking about here. However, I am really really apprehensive about going with AT&T between the rates and really crappy data plans. Additionally, Galaxy Nexus is 80 friggin bucks right now on Amazon. I'd imagine if I went with this route, I'd just have the Nexus hold me over until ASUS releases the rumored Nexus Pad at which point I'd go back to my two-touch-device system.

So, what say you GAF? Note and crap AT&T or not-as-awesome Galaxy Nexus and much better Verizon? Is there another awesome really big phone that I'm overlooking?

GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

You don't know anyone with a spare old phone? One of your friends must have a BB lying around gathering dust...........unless you are like me and all my friends use phones that I can't use on Wind's network lol

Al-ibn Kermit

Here's the situation:

Wife broke her back (all is well now though, been a week, she's at home) which means my computer usage has been all but taken away. In addition, I have the go-ahead to get a business line so I can work out of my home while watching over her for the most part. Have a G2X now, and my go-to couch browsing device has been my Transformer Prime. However, wife is basically the owner of the Prime now.

I got used to a speedy tablet, though I found it was a bit too large most of the time, especially when it comes to doing something like trying to post on GAF. I actually prefer typing on my G2X over it but G2X is too small for browsing. Though the business will cover the monthly cell bill, I will need to pay for the phone myself.

I am drooling over the Note super hard, as it seems to fulfill all of the functions I'm talking about here. However, I am really really apprehensive about going with AT&T between the rates and really crappy data plans. Additionally, Galaxy Nexus is 80 friggin bucks right now on Amazon. I'd imagine if I went with this route, I'd just have the Nexus hold me over until ASUS releases the rumored Nexus Pad at which point I'd go back to my two-touch-device system.

So, what say you GAF? Note and crap AT&T or not-as-awesome Galaxy Nexus and much better Verizon? Is there another awesome really big phone that I'm overlooking?

Assuming the Nexus pad is around $200, you would be able to get it and a Galaxy Nexus for about the same price as a Note. So cost isn't really a deciding factor, except as far as AT&T versus Verizon contract rates although you get better service on Verizon for the extra money.

Unless you absolutely fall in love with the Note's form factor, I would suggest getting a Galaxy Nexus and waiting for the Asus tablet. The Note has some compromises as far as one-handed use and pocketability so at least try it out and see what you think. It has a gorgeous screen though.

Also consider that getting two Nexus devices would probably make upgrading an easier choice every couple years.

Nowadays a dumb phone is closer to $10 than $100. If he lives in NY I'd give him a new dumb phone.

I'm assuming that if he wants a smartphone to tide him over, then the ability to check email on 3G is really important for him. In which case, I think any feature phone with 3G would be at least in the low $100 range.

Blackhead

Redarse
OverSkreen and StickIt are killer apps IMO. I wish they could be available on the iPad—heck I wish they were available so seamlessly on my MacBook. The Intents system is a genius idea. Samsung's Touchwiz mini-apps are also nice to have.

So could someone explain to me how to install fonts on the tablet? I don't mean switching the system font but installing a font so that it can be displayed by webpages, apps etc.

Any tablet specific apps recommendations? Can we get an Android tablets thread already?!

Donos

Just played around with the one x and one s. X is huge, even for me but i like both. They feel both really light but not cheap. My desire hd seems double the weight. Getting really impatient with GSIII announcement. Need new gadget!

Ephemeris

Just played around with the one x and one s. X is huge, even for me but i like both. They feel both really light but not cheap. My desire hd seems double the weight. Getting really impatient with GSIII announcement. Need new gadget!

What did you think of the S' screen?

Threi

notag
Galnet MIUI got shut down :(

shame too, their ports were one of the better done ones. Their infuse port was amazingly fast and stable.

leadbelly

Banned
Looks a lot better in black for sure.

Still not as sexy as my Xperia S ~lick~

Always the same. The white version of any device usually ends up selling for cheaper. Not straight away, but eventually that's what happens.

Edit: Actually looking at Amazon prices, it is already cheaper.

liger05

I got my girl the x and was hoping she thought it was too big and took my desire HD instead but she loves the phone. Having both in the hand is horrible for me!

Dizzan

MINI Member
Can anybody help with some info please?

What is the best ROM at the moment for ICS on the SGS2?

I currently have the stock Samsung but I hate Touchwiz, battery life is garbage and I have constant crashes.

Thanks

Circle T

Can anybody help with some info please?

What is the best ROM at the moment for ICS on the SGS2?

I currently have the stock Samsung but I hate Touchwiz, battery life is garbage and I have constant crashes.

Thanks

Not sure if you have the International version (i9100) or the AT&T version (i777), but IMO, CM9 is about as good as it gets. Runs just as good as stock ICS, but with a few extra tweaks and customizing options. If you hate TouchWiz, this is what you want...

i9100
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1419102

i777
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568848

Dizzan

MINI Member
Not sure if you have the International version (i9100) or the AT&T version (i777), but IMO, CM9 is about as good as it gets. Runs just as good as stock ICS, but with a few extra tweaks and customizing options. If you hate TouchWiz, this is what you want...

i9100
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1419102

i777
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568848

Thanks mate

I have the GT-19100

I heard the camera doesn't work or has that been rectified since Samsung released the source code?

Thanks again!

Dizzan

MINI Member
Thanks

I am a little confused as to how to root my phone.

Is there an idiots guide? I cant follow the one on the xda forums. :p

Circle T

Thanks mate

I have the GT-19100

I heard the camera doesn't work or has that been rectified since Samsung released the source code?

Thanks again!
Photos work fine. Video is now working, but it still needs some tuning.

Yup, according to TeamHacksung's wiki, there are only a couple minor issues still persisting...
TeamHacksung said:
  • FM Radio: not implemented
  • TV Out: not working properly
  • Phone Encryption: not working

Actual as of 3rd April, 2012

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/CyanogenMod9:GT-I9100:Nightly:Known_issues

Thanks

I am a little confused as to how to root my phone.

Is there an idiots guide? I cant follow the one on the xda forums. :p

In that case, I would probably just use ODIN. Very simple. Use the "Noob-proof ODIN method" from that link I posted earlier. Takes little more than getting phone into "Download" mode, loading up ODIN, and clicking a couple buttons.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Yup, according to TeamHacksung's wiki, there are only a couple minor issues still persisting...

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/CyanogenMod9:GT-I9100:Nightly:Known_issues

In that case, I would probably just use ODIN. Very simple. Use the "Noob-proof ODIN method" from that link I posted earlier. Takes little more than getting phone into "Download" mode, loading up ODIN, and clicking a couple buttons.

Okay, so I just load up ODIN and no need to root? haha sorry, I'm hopeless

Circle T

Okay, so I just load up ODIN and no need to root? haha sorry, I'm hopeless

Yep....

• Download the ODIN package
  • Download ODIN from this post
  • Download the latest Google Apps
  • Copy the Google Apps zip to the SDCard on the phone
  • Start up ODIN
  • Load the downloaded file into the "PDA" section in ODIN
  • Put phone into Download mode (Volume Down + Home + Power)
  • Plug the phone into computer
  • ODIN should now show a connection (Yellow box)
  • Click start and let it complete
  • Should reboot into Recovery mode
  • Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik, then flash Google Apps
  • Reboot

At that point, you will have flashed the phone with CM9, and loaded all the current Google Apps. CM9 ROMs come pre-rooted, so nothing else to do for that. Just start it up, sign in, and then download any apps you want again.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of that, stop and ask questions. Better to be sure before doing something. This is pretty simple though. ODIN is a pretty painless tool.

I have a Samsung Captivate phone from AT&T and I want to connect it to my Google account but for some reason I don't think I can.

My firmware on the phone is 2.1 or something like that. If anyone can help me then I would appreciate that, thanks.

Circle T

I have a Samsung Captivate phone from AT&T and I want to connect it to my Google account but for some reason I don't think I can.

My firmware on the phone is 2.1 or something like that. If anyone can help me then I would appreciate that, thanks.

Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account --> Google

When you go there, what does it do? You should be able to sign in.

Also, there are a couple software updates for that phone if you are on the 2.1 OS version.

Fox318

Is there any good ICS tablet aside from the Xoom WiFi and Transformer Prime?

I'm looking at the 7 inch tablet market and besides the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet there are not many write ups on WiFi only tablets.

I would pick up the Fire in a heartbeat but I really wish it had 2 cameras.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any good ICS tablet aside from the Xoom WiFi and Transformer Prime?

I'm looking at the 7 inch tablet market and besides the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet there are not many write ups on WiFi only tablets.

I would pick up the Fire in a heartbeat but I really wish it had 2 cameras.
Same boat here. Nexus Tablet will be the one to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom