• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Is there any good ICS tablet aside from the Xoom WiFi and Transformer Prime?

I'm looking at the 7 inch tablet market and besides the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet there are not many write ups on WiFi only tablets.

I would pick up the Fire in a heartbeat but I really wish it had 2 cameras.

huawei MediaPad

Futureman

There should be a Big 'Ol button in Chrome Google Music when you are listening to music that says "CONTINUE ON PHONE."

for times when you are listening at home and want to listen on the go.

Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account --> Google

When you go there, what does it do? You should be able to sign in.

Also, there are a couple software updates for that phone if you are on the 2.1 OS version.

My google account is already synched to my phone, but when I log in to my account on the Android Market website, it tells me that I do not have a phone connected to my account.

I also cannot update my phone because when I attempt to do so, I get some kind of error message.

Al-ibn Kermit

There should be a Big 'Ol button in Chrome Google Music when you are listening to music that says "CONTINUE ON PHONE."

That's kind of ingenious, maybe there's a comments/suggestions page you can post that on?

I bet Google's looking for any ideas on how to make using their services on multiple devices seamless.

ep85

My google account is already synched to my phone, but when I log in to my account on the Android Market website, it tells me that I do not have a phone connected to my account.

I also cannot update my phone because when I attempt to do so, I get some kind of error message.

What happens when you go to the android market(or play store) on your phone and try to purchase something (just try a free app)

Also what does it say when you are trying to update your phone?

Fox318

What about all android devices?

Android Media Centers incoming.

Android GAF let's band together and help this gentleman out. I had the captivate and its been through at least half a dozen roms.

Buying a free app from the marketplace was a genius idea. I hope that triggers something. If that doesn't work let's focus on getting you updated to gingerbread.

And then let's find out when your contract is up so we can find you a good deal on on at least the GS2 or maybe even a One X.

Fox318

For those that have a kindle fire can you run the stock Kindle rom and an ICS rom?

Or does adding the ICS rom wipe the kindle rom?

Circle T

Android GAF let's band together and help this gentleman out. I had the captivate and its been through at least half a dozen roms.

Buying a free app from the marketplace was a genius idea. I hope that triggers something. If that doesn't work let's focus on getting you updated to gingerbread.

And then let's find out when your contract is up so we can find you a good deal on on at least the GS2 or maybe even a One X.

As a previous owner of a Captivate, I'm in.

As mentioned, Costcosaurus, can you you download apps on the phone itself?

3phemeral

This happened to me when I tried to install a leaked version of the market. What I ended up doing was finding and older version and letting it upgrade.

This may seem like an obvious question, but have you tried going to your settings > app manager > Market > Force close/Clear Cache?

Circle T

I tried updating my phone and it's telling me there are no updates, and I can confirm that I'm on firmware version 2.1. What the hell?

Did you do this on the phone itself? If so, that would be why. The 2.2 and 2.3 updates were too large to be done with an "Over-The-Air" update. You need to download Samsung's Kies software to update. Download and install that, then plug the phone in and check for software updates. It should find them for you. I'm not sure if you can go from 2.1 right to 2.3, or if you need to update to 2.2 first, but Kies should work.

Did you do this on the phone itself? If so, that would be why. The 2.2 and 2.3 updates were too large to be done with an "Over-The-Air" update. You need to download Samsung's Kies software to update. Download and install that, then plug the phone in and check for software updates. It should find them for you. I'm not sure if you can go from 2.1 right to 2.3, or if you need to update to 2.2 first, but Kies should work.

When I connect my phone to Kies, it tells me that the phone is not supported by Kies 2.0. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Circle T

When I connect my phone to Kies, it tells me that the phone is not supported by Kies 2.0. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Sorry, I guess you need Kies Mini for this. Not sure why Mini, and not just normal Kies, but so be it. Here is a link with directions, and a link to Kies Mini...

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00045585&fm_seq=46247

*Edit* - and had I actually read through the link I provided, I would have answered my own question....

Samsung Support said:
Can I use Kies 2.0 to perform the upgrade?
  • Only Kies Mini is supported within the United States. Kies is not recommended nor officially supported on Galaxy S phones in the US. If you have a previous version of Kies, it is recommended to remove it entirely before installing Kies Mini.
What are the capabilities of Kies Mini?
  • Kies Mini is a computer software tool which performs upgrades for a phone.

Ok guys, when Windows tried to install something, it failed. This is what it failed on:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

This happens when I install the driver on Samsung Kies Mini. Why can't Windows install whatever this is?

mkenyon

Banned
Ok guys, when Windows tried to install something, it failed. This is what it failed on:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

This happens when I install the driver on Samsung Kies Mini. Why can't Windows install whatever this is?
I'm guessing you need to install the USB drivers for your phone. Probably available from the manufacturer's website.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I wouldn't be surprised if more Sprint users know what an EVO is compared to a Nexus phone, though. There are plenty who skipped the EVO 3D for a non-shitty successor, and I think they just got it. The GN has the advantage of stock android, but it's almost guaranteed this will have a strong development community so that partially negates that advantage.

If I were a sprint user, it'd definitely be a tough decision.

The people that skipped on the evo3d don't know how awesome the 3d internals are. When I use the same apps side by side, the 3d using the stock os craps all over the evo with custom roms. I didn't get the 3d just because it has a 3d camera, I got it because the processor and internal storage was better. Since I had the yearly upgrades, it wasn't that much of a risk.

Now that I have 1 upgrade left, I'm torn on getting the Nexus or the Evo LTE. It's almost the same situation from last year with the Nexus S vs 3d.

No worries, I just followed the steps in that link the other guys gave me and now I can upgrade once my phone charges up.
Damn so busy the last couple of hours....sorry...looks like you might be good to go though...be sure and let us know how it went. Remember to upgrade twice...to 2.2 Froyo and then to 2.3 Gingerbread

Hopefully your google acct problems are over after that. Also make sure your phone has the latest android market, which is actually called the Google Play Store now.

Should be version 3.5.16 just off the top of my head...could be wrong on that though.

Donos

What did you think of the S' screen?

Both screens are really nice (AMOLED is not new to me and while i like them i sometimes agree with the "oversaturated" critics) but with the size and resolution of the One X the screen is just glorious ! Really.
That doesn't mean that the S is bad but we held them side by side and my non-gadget girlfriend (who is close to buying the One S) said that the X screen looks better.

Donos

Oh god, i totally forgot that i would have to download this horrible KIES again if i would go with the GSIII (hurry up with the announcement sammy). Had it with my Samsung Wave and was glad when i deinstalled it again. But maybe it got "improved".

Dizzan

MINI Member
Nooooooo!!!!!

I downloaded cm9 which is awesome but now I have no 3g reception. Does anyone know of a work around?

besiktas1

So for those waiting for the S3, are you as tempted/impatient enough to jump on a One X. I think I am too impatient lol. The note is still looking at me too :)

Circle T

Hey mate

Thanks for your help. How much better is it than Samsungs version of ICS!!

Night and day.

Well, CM9 is basically just stock ICS, like the Nexus phones have. The CM team do a few tweaks here and there, but nothing major, and almost always optional features. Samsung's version, on the other hand, is laced with TouchWiz. It is up for you to decide whether you want stock or TouchWiz. I tried the TW ICS leak for my Note when it came out, and it really isn't that bad, to be honest. In the end, though, I went with a stock ICS ROM, and couldn't be happier.

Haven't Samsung moved onto OTA updates with their newer phones? My sisters Galaxy Ace has OTA update functionality.

For the most part, yes. On the Captivate and Infuse, however, the recent updates to both of those phones were quite large, and AT&T decided to make them non-OTA updates. All of the recent updates for newer phones, though, were all OTA.

Zeppu

Just adding the phone button would be awesome. Maybe it could be set up to only show up when you're on the homescreens or app drawer.

have you been able to upgrade yet?

I have a major problem trying to upgrade my phone. Here's what happened:

The first time I tried to upgrade to 2.2 firmware, the progress bar for upgrading the device was stuck at 0% for at least a couple hours. I closed the Kies Mini program and re-opened it thinking I could try it again and see if it will work the next time.

On the bottom of the "connect your phone" screen on Kies Mini there was an Emergency Recovery button, so I clicked on that. I followed what it told me to do and now it's trying to recover the phone, and it's still stuck at 0%, just like the first time I tried to upgrade it.

My phone could be possibly bricked, because I can't even get my phone to recover its firmware. :(

Circle T

The first time I tried to upgrade to 2.2 firmware, the progress bar for upgrading the device was stuck at 0% for at least a couple hours. I closed the Kies Mini program and re-opened it thinking I could try it again and see if it will work the next time.

On the bottom of the "connect your phone" screen on Kies Mini there was an Emergency Recovery button, so I clicked on that. I followed what it told me to do and now it's trying to recover the phone, and it's still stuck at 0%, just like the first time I tried to upgrade it.

My phone could be possibly bricked, because I can't even get my phone to recover its firmware. :(

Will it at least boot? More importantly, can you still get to "Download" mode? With one end of the USB cable plugged into your computer, and the phone off, hold both volume buttons and plug the cable into the phone. This should put the phone in download mode. If you can get that far, the phone is not bricked, and we have options.

I've been using a Samsung dumbphone on Verizon for 1.5 years and the thought of a new smartphone never goes away. I don't like Verizon's family prices and would like to move on to a contractless carrier when my contract ends in August. However, I would love a good deal to upgrade to a Verizon smartphone in the meantime. The Rezound is $50 on Amazon, and assuming a $10 activation fee and an extra $30/mo for the 4GB of data deal, the entire commitment would cost less than $200.

Dumb question: will upgrading to a smartphone extend my contract another 2 years?

ep85

oh, no. I did a little research, are you using a 64bit OS? Supposedly kies mini encounters problems on 64bit OSs. Have you tried running kies mini as an administrator (right click .exe and click run as administrator)? Also I was reading on some forums that its better to update in the morning...I have no idea why it would matter but some people have suggested that.

If the phone doesn't start up just keep on trying to update using different circumstances. If you have access to another computer that is happening to run a 32bit OS try and see if that works. Try using regular kies, since your computer recognizes our phone now. I also read a forum post where using an older version of the regular kies worked.

All in all this is a shitty situation and hopefully you get through it man. If you need any help you can PM me and I'll try to help you the best that I can. My old phone is a Captivate and I was planning and flashing it back to stock for when I sell it sometime this week so I'll diving back in the Captivate ROM scene for a bit.

Dumb question: will upgrading to a smartphone extend my contract another 2 years?
Yes it will. Also the rezound is 50 bucks everywhere on contract so you can walk into your verizon store tomorrow and get it.

Circle T

I've been using a Samsung dumbphone on Verizon for 1.5 years and the thought of a new smartphone never goes away. I don't like Verizon's family prices and would like to move on to a contractless carrier when my contract ends in August. However, I would love a good deal to upgrade to a Verizon smartphone in the meantime. The Rezound is $50 on Amazon, and assuming a $10 activation fee and an extra $30/mo for the 4GB of data deal, the entire commitment would cost less than $200.

If you buy a phone at a subsidized price (such as a $50 Rezound), you are getting that price because of a contract extension. The carriers will give you a big discount on a device, because they know they will get that money back (and more) over the course of your contract. The only way around this is to either buy a device used, or unsubsidized. The unsubsidized price of the Rezound is $729 on Amazon.

So, you can either get the phone cheap, and sign a new contract. Or, you can pay full price for the device, with the freedom to not extend your contract. Up to you to figure out with answer is best. Given that you are looking to move away from them in August, though, it would probably be most cost efficient to just stick it out with your current phone, and then get something new when you move to your new carrier.

Will it at least boot? More importantly, can you still get to "Download" mode? With one end of the USB cable plugged into your computer, and the phone off, hold both volume buttons and plug the cable into the phone. This should put the phone in download mode. If you can get that far, the phone is not bricked, and we have options.

The phone gets to the screen "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!". Kies Mini gets stuck at 0% every time I attempt to recover its firmware. What could be the problem here?

Circle T

The phone gets to the screen "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!". Kies Mini gets stuck at 0% every time I attempt to recover its firmware. What could be the problem here?

Good, then you aren't bricked. Why don't we try the ODIN method now. ODIN is a piece of software used for flashing different firmwares and such on Samsung phones....

Go to this thread....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18370912&postcount=3

And download the....
ODIN One-Click for "I897UCKK4 Odin One Click - Stock, CONTAINS Bootloaders, Re-partition, Full Wipe" file.

Inside the zip file you are downloading will be an executable file, and a text file with instructions. Essentially all you will be doing is starting ODIN, connecting the phone in Download mode, and clicking a button. This will then flash your phone with the 2.3.5 version of Android that Kies Mini should have installed.

Stop and ask any questions before you do anything you aren't comfortable with.

Good, then you aren't bricked. Why don't we try the ODIN method now. ODIN is a piece of software used for flashing different firmwares and such on Samsung phones....

Go to this thread....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18370912&postcount=3

And download the....
ODIN One-Click for "I897UCKK4 Odin One Click - Stock, CONTAINS Bootloaders, Re-partition, Full Wipe" file.

Inside the zip file you are downloading will be an executable file, and a text file with instructions. Essentially all you will be doing is starting ODIN, connecting the phone in Download mode, and clicking a button. This will then flash your phone with the 2.3.5 version of Android that Kies Mini should have installed.

Stop and ask any questions before you do anything you aren't comfortable with.
The firmware update on ODIN gets stuck as well. The updating path is this:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin

It just gets stuck and does nothing after that. I really need my phone for tomorrow, so I need to be able to get it working tonight.

The firmware update on ODIN gets stuck as well. The updating path is this:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin

It just gets stuck and does nothing after that. I really need my phone for tomorrow, so I need to be able to get it working tonight.
are you using the USB cable that came with the phone?

if you are, try using a different one.

Zeppu

So, One X owners. What are your impressions from the first few days. Someone in the HTC thread mentions short battery life/laggy touchscreen/grainy video. Can you confirm or deny any of these statements?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So, One X owners. What are your impressions from the first few days. Someone in the HTC thread mentions short battery life/laggy touchscreen/grainy video. Can you confirm or deny any of these statements?

I have none of those issues mentioned. I'm not 100% on battery life (har har), but I did notice it went 19 hours before the battery was completely depleted. Stuff like that depends on your usage anyway. My touchscreen is responsive, and I haven't recorded any videos. *shrug*

Zeppu

I have none of those issues mentioned. I'm not 100% on battery life (har har), but I did notice it went 19 hours before the battery was completely depleted. Stuff like that depends on your usage anyway. My touchscreen is responsive, and I haven't recorded any videos. *shrug*

I actually read the review and the 'touchscreen lag' comes down to the multitasking screen lagging when you have lots of apps open. Heh. Engadget/Verge/Anandtech reviews for life.

How's the stock browser on the one x? My girlfriends Sensation got the ICS update last week, although I was saddened to see the browser had none of the cool features on my GN browser. It looked and behaved exactly the same as the GB stock browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom